66 coaches online • Server time: 20:40
Forum Chat
Recent Forum Topics goto Post Blood Bowl 2024 Edit...goto Post Secret Stunty Cup - ...goto Post Convince a friend to...
SearchSearch 
View previous topic Log in to check your private messages View next topic
Badoek

Post   Posted: Aug 30, 2013 - 09:02 Reply with quote Back to top

I'd say Orcs to be the best for a beginner. Not too fast so you have to position. AV9 to protect you from having to retire the team because you suck so much at the blocking game. ST4 so you still get to block (which is fun). Etc.

Most of the other teams will do too, but I'd definitely advice against Halfings, Goblins, Vampires and Ogres. Probably better not play with Slann, Khemri, Elf and Underworld either.
Come to think of it, any team that starts slow (in development that is), like Chaos, Necromantic and Nurgle don't seem like a good idea either. In the end it probably doesn't matter too much unless you take one of the lowest tier races. If you're having fun and still feel like you're learning the game it's all good.

Post   Posted: Aug 30, 2013 - 11:20 Reply with quote Back to top

Dark Elves are pretty hard to screw up...
Badoek

Post   Posted: Aug 30, 2013 - 11:53 Reply with quote Back to top

well... I found they actually are. Especially if you, like a proper newbie, try to bash too much and thus lose players which are way too expensive to lose. First hand experience (and I wasn't even a real newb anymore...).

Post   Posted: Aug 30, 2013 - 12:04 Reply with quote Back to top

Rat_Salat wrote:

Once you've figured them out, it feels like this, doesn't it? But it's a biased view. A beginner can and will screw Dark Elves up. Hard.
the.tok

Post   Posted: Aug 30, 2013 - 12:08 Reply with quote Back to top

Undead are good for newbie, because they are quite versatile. It makes you learn why block is so important on the wights, you get to have fun with the mummies and you have fast yet expendable ghouls. You also get to learn that players can fill very different roles.

The cash is not an issue either, it's very unlikely you go into a bad spiral, like you would with WE.

Orcs are a good candidate too, but more on the bashy side to me.

Post   Posted: Aug 30, 2013 - 12:19 Reply with quote Back to top

Rat_Salat wrote:

Dark Elves are a tough team for noobs imo. Their typical starting roster only has 2 RR and they arent the fastest team in the world.

once you know what you are doing sure, they are good, but not for noobs imo.

Post   Posted: Aug 30, 2013 - 12:26 Reply with quote Back to top

Orcs for me. CDs are quite good too; it helps they have specific positionals for specific jobs. When you're new, that helps. If you play a team with a Thrower, by that logic, you could be tempted to throw. Which isn't helpful. CDs have nice, obvious jobs per position, and you may learn early that Minos are crap.
PacoSillas

Post   Posted: Aug 30, 2013 - 12:29 Reply with quote Back to top

Humans, jacks of all trades, great for learning the ropes ... might be biased though Cool
Garion

Post   Posted: Aug 30, 2013 - 12:43 Reply with quote Back to top

Purplegoo wrote:
and you may learn early that Minos are crap.

Laughing

Post   Posted: Aug 30, 2013 - 14:48 Reply with quote Back to top

Orcs are boring, Woodelves are great, but easily killed, Amazons grant quite easy wins from the start, Norse get killed so fast you might never play a second time.
NickNutria

Post   Posted: Aug 30, 2013 - 14:49 Reply with quote Back to top

Undead are also a nice race for beginners.
ahalfling

Post   Posted: Aug 30, 2013 - 15:02 Reply with quote Back to top

I think orcs are definitely the most interesting of the pure S races (Chaos anything/dwarves/Nurgle)... but it doesn't matter, does it? If you're new, it's ALL interesting. Or at least novel.

(In what weird alternate universe are Norse more fragile than Amazons?)

And sure, you can say, "If you play a team with a Thrower... you could be tempted to throw." But you could be equally tempted to not use a non-thrower to throw. I mean, maybe you haven't played a guy in the last two weeks who (with no provocation or time crunch -- and no reroll) had his Bull Centaur pick up the ball and throw a long pass over a defender to a hobgoblin.

He made it, too. But that's beside the point.

Everyone is going to have to learn when throwing is an acceptable risk and when it's reckless and foolhardy, and having a thrower who can mitigate that risk somewhat is hardly a problem. (And if nothing else, having an orc or human thrower is a pretty powerful object lesson in not skimping non sure hands when you play a team that doesn't start with it...)

(Hell, I ran a forward passing orc team back in the '90s. You probably shouldn't listen to me. Ever.)
NickNutria

Post   Posted: Aug 30, 2013 - 15:07 Reply with quote Back to top

They are believe me Smile, skills are more importandt at the start than AV and nothing beats an all dodge team with 4 blodgers in a league without skills.
Verminardo

Post   Posted: Aug 30, 2013 - 15:42 Reply with quote Back to top

Well-played Norse don't usually die quickly at low TV but badly played Norse do. Plus, Frenzy + Rookie player = desaster. Wink

That said, I (re-)learned Blood Bowl and learned Fumbbl on LRB4 Norse, and I'm still around. Smile
Azure

Post   Posted: Aug 30, 2013 - 15:45 Reply with quote Back to top

Somewhat depends how old the kids are. My two kids that play on here are learning with a combination of: Dwarf, Necromantic, Human, and Pro Elf.

In particular, Dwarf has been a great team because of block skill really saving them for all the 1d and -2d blocks they toss around.
 Jump to: