37 coaches online • Server time: 12:50
Forum Chat
Recent Forum Topics goto Post TSC Draftgoto Post 4,000TV!goto Post IBA Draft League
SearchSearch 
View previous topic Log in to check your private messages View next topic
Poll
Should players in the box take stats or skills to wreck stuff with?
Stats
65%
 65%  [ 19 ]
Bash Skills
34%
 34%  [ 10 ]
Total Votes : 29

WhatBall

Post   Posted: Feb 07, 2014 - 22:12 Reply with quote Back to top

maysrill wrote:
Jumboparagon wrote:
okay then.... block on the troll. I thought JU was just a 2+
the more you know... *rainbow*

Yeah, it's an AG check that works out to a 2+ for anyone with AG3 or better. AG2 needs a 3+, and AG1 needs a 4+.

But it is a WA, so you will have to make the 4+ anyway to get up and block, which would be two rolls, and Loner. So taking JU for Blocking on the troll is bad, but if you plan to blitz/PO with him it is just the 2+ WA, no JU roll, full move and blitz+PO.

Post   Posted: Feb 07, 2014 - 22:15 Reply with quote Back to top

Passing up doubles and stats is never a general rule, even in Blackbox, even if you want to minmax. +AG Lineman will win you many a game. It would be silly to pass it up. Take Sure Hands next, obviously, or Dodge on Double.

Double on Big Guy, don't even think twice, take all of them, Block, Pro, Jump Up are all worth the 30k on this player. I mean, look at Sam Axe. I'd probably go Pro and get Juggernaut eventually but that's a matter of taste.

+MA and Dodge are both also easily worth the 30k on a Berserker. I'd probably go with Dodge.
Jumboparagon

Post   Posted: Feb 07, 2014 - 22:30 Reply with quote Back to top

WhatBall wrote:
maysrill wrote:
Jumboparagon wrote:
okay then.... block on the troll. I thought JU was just a 2+
the more you know... *rainbow*

Yeah, it's an AG check that works out to a 2+ for anyone with AG3 or better. AG2 needs a 3+, and AG1 needs a 4+.

But it is a WA, so you will have to make the 4+ anyway to get up and block, which would be two rolls, and Loner. So taking JU for Blocking on the troll is bad, but if you plan to blitz/PO with him it is just the 2+ WA, no JU roll, full move and blitz+PO.

I'm not saying I still wouldnt take the jump-up Wink
Just might not be the best suggestion for others looking for advice. Really comes down to play style and what you want your player's roles to be
JimmyFantastic

Post   Posted: Feb 07, 2014 - 23:31 Reply with quote Back to top

+AV for the blitzer cos he will get hella fouled

Post   Posted: Feb 08, 2014 - 00:33 Reply with quote Back to top

Actually, Jimmy has a good point. I had forgotten the +AV, and Norse is one of the few teams I would take +AV on.

Post   Posted: Feb 08, 2014 - 01:30 Reply with quote Back to top

+AG Lino - sold

Block Snow Troll - about to draw up the final papers (weird nobody suggested +AV)

Berserker -Still undecided =/

licker

Post   Posted: Feb 08, 2014 - 01:38 Reply with quote Back to top

JimmyFantastic wrote:
+AV for the blitzer cos he will get hella fouled

+AV helps against fouls about as much as it helps against claw
ahalfling

Post   Posted: Feb 08, 2014 - 03:07 Reply with quote Back to top

Hey, it's the one race I've played enough to have a semi-valid opinion on!

I agree on the +AG for the lineman. Norse don't have a player with the aptitude for handling, so it's great when you can make one.

Block is incalculably useful for the troll, and what would he even do with +AG? Are you marching him across the field that often?

I'd definitely take a skill (most likely dodge) on the berserker. Again, what exactly does +MA do? He's probably not going to handle the ball for you, and even if he does, making him one step faster (but still no faster than your catchers) just isn't going to come into play 30k worth of the time.

(Hell, I ran a forward passing orc team back in the '90s. You probably shouldn't listen to me. Ever.)
Rat_Salat

Post   Posted: Feb 08, 2014 - 05:41 Reply with quote Back to top

Block on the Troll.
+AG on the lineman
Mighty Blow on the Zerker
Ziggyny

Post   Posted: Feb 08, 2014 - 07:53 Reply with quote Back to top

Unless he's really left hung out to dry you can reasonably expect a foul on your guy to only have maybe 3 assists or 2 with a dirty player. Taking your guy from 8 to 9 armour will therefore take your opponent from needing to roll a 6 to needing to roll a 7. That eliminates 5 of the 26 successful rolls. And that's ignoring that often people will take a no assist foul on a protected killer in the hopes of getting lucky.

Is is spectacular? No. But it's significantly better than the absolutely nothing that +AV provides against claw.

A lot of this game is about shaving the odds in your favour at every opportunity and getting +AV on your killer is one way to do so. I wouldn't take it on a 5/5 because I'd rather have dodge or diving tackle, especially on a player that isn't yet a killer. But on a 6/4, and on a player that already had mighty blow and piling on? I would take +AV.
gamelsetlmatch

Post   Posted: Feb 08, 2014 - 14:58 Reply with quote Back to top

Thank you everyone for all of your great thoughts/ideas/suggestions.

I decided to give the Snow Troll block, The Lino took the +AG and the Berzerker went with Dodge.

licker

Post   Posted: Feb 08, 2014 - 17:29 Reply with quote Back to top

Ziggyny wrote:
Unless he's really left hung out to dry you can reasonably expect a foul on your guy to only have maybe 3 assists or 2 with a dirty player. Taking your guy from 8 to 9 armour will therefore take your opponent from needing to roll a 6 to needing to roll a 7. That eliminates 5 of the 26 successful rolls. And that's ignoring that often people will take a no assist foul on a protected killer in the hopes of getting lucky.

Is is spectacular? No. But it's significantly better than the absolutely nothing that +AV provides against claw.

A lot of this game is about shaving the odds in your favour at every opportunity and getting +AV on your killer is one way to do so. I wouldn't take it on a 5/5 because I'd rather have dodge or diving tackle, especially on a player that isn't yet a killer. But on a 6/4, and on a player that already had mighty blow and piling on? I would take +AV.

I agree it's not worth taking on the double, I'm not sure it's really worth taking at all anyway, zerkers are av7 not 8. That said I did take it one of mine, but it was after he already had dodge and MB, so there was a bit more of an investment to protect, it was a 6,4 though anyway, and while PO is naturally coming I figured I could wait a few more games for it as I already had my other zerker pombing.
 Jump to: