46 coaches online • Server time: 18:41
Forum Chat
Recent Forum Topics goto Post Finishing the 60 Gam...goto Post TSC Draftgoto Post 4,000TV!
SearchSearch 
View previous topic Log in to check your private messages View next topic
Poll
First skill for my dark elf runner? Consider next opponents are high elves, gobblins, then ogres in that order.
nerves-of-steel
7%
 7%  [ 1 ]
dodge
85%
 85%  [ 12 ]
block
7%
 7%  [ 1 ]
Total Votes : 14

JackassRampant

Post   Posted: May 11, 2014 - 00:03 Reply with quote Back to top

Well, there's that, yeah. Runners are great in the NBFL or other high-skill environments where you can give players a jump on their careers, but I've never taken one on a low-value team.

Post   Posted: May 11, 2014 - 00:35 Reply with quote Back to top

Jimmy, be honest, Dodge was a 3rd choice at best:
1. Retire
2. Leader
3. Dodge / Block or whatever
Search your heart - you know it to be true...
JimmyFantastic

Post   Posted: May 11, 2014 - 00:43 Reply with quote Back to top

Yeah, Leader is better than Dodge. But then he is a crap guy that you have to protect.
At least with Blodge he would be a crap guy that didn't need protecting.
That was my reasoning but you are probably right.

Post   Posted: May 11, 2014 - 01:15 Reply with quote Back to top

K, but for the sake of argument pretend for the moment that you're gonna carry a Runner and use him for what he looks like he was designed to do. What skills do you want?

To me, you want skills that let him soak up blitzes, to not have to soak up blitzes, and to dump-off effectively. You have no Catch (keep it that way), so your Dump-Off results in a catch on a 2+ or 3+ (at best) if your intended receiver is marked. Your odds of making the dump-off successfully, therefore, are never all that good: even with Pass and Nerves or Pass+Acc vs one zone to an unmarked receiver (the best case), it's about 80% likely to work, which is about the same as taking 1d into Blodge or taking 1/2d with Tackle or Wrestle. Building on Dump-Off is better than Blodge for pure anti-blitz ball protection under the best of circumstances, but not always, and Blodge is good for any role he needs to fill, not just when you screw up on offense (it's good then, too), and it keeps him alive.

Sure Hands is better than you think. Often you won't want to or dump off against Strip Ball, but the real issue is TRR savings. You don't want to be caught in the backfield, and you don't want to waste RRs picking up the ball. With SH and Dodge, you can pick up in two zones and backpedal out. Also, if you get half-die hit by a Leaping Stripper, Sure Hands will keep the ball better than Nerves of Steel + Dump-Off. If you're still not sold, here's the math on Dump-Off.

Odds out of 1296: multiply these three numbers together.

Interception odds
None: 6
6+: 5
5+: 4
4+: 3
Catch: -1 (not accurate, but close enough)

x Dump Off Pass odds (assume no more than 2 zones)
Rookie vs 2 zones: 18
Rookie vs 1 zone or Accurate vs 2 zones: 24
Pass vs 2 zones: 27
Accurate vs 1 zone or Nerves of Steel: 30
Pass vs 1 zone or Pass + Acc vs 2 zones: 32
Pass + Acc vs 1 zone or Pass + Nerves: 35

x Catch odds
No zones: 5
Each zone: -1

Nerves of Steel means your odds could be as good as 25/36 to pull off a dump-off. With Pass it gets better, but it's still never as good as a 2+ roll. And then there are the times that all your legal targets are marked, and then it's never as good as a 2+ roll.

Post   Posted: May 11, 2014 - 02:17 Reply with quote Back to top

Winni wrote:
rocketdeath wrote:
level 2

A very very cute kitten dies everytime you say that.

Stop bloody quoting him then you sadistic :"$^*

Twisted Evil

Oscar Wilde
rocketdeath

Post   Posted: May 11, 2014 - 03:16 Reply with quote Back to top

Winni wrote:
rocketdeath wrote:
level 2

A very very cute kitten dies everytime you say that.

hahaha why? that's what he is, a level 2 runner. by earning his first skill he reaches the second level of runnery : )
notbobby125

Post   Posted: May 11, 2014 - 04:07 Reply with quote Back to top

rocketdeath wrote:
level 2

Pro tip: No one here uses the term "levels."

The only version of the game that refers to players getting skills as "levels" is the Cyanide version. Every other version refers to "leveling up" as "getting a skill/getting a stat."
rocketdeath

Post   Posted: May 11, 2014 - 04:17 Reply with quote Back to top

Just wanted to let everyone know that went with dodge. The coaches coalition have spoken with 10 votes for dodge and 0 votes for nerves of steel. Plus 1 vote for block
 Jump to: