15 coaches online • Server time: 05:25
Forum Chat
Recent Forum Topics goto Post Designer's Comm...goto Post It's almost tim...goto Post Claw/MB
SearchSearch 
View previous topic Log in to check your private messages View next topic
Garion

Post   Posted: May 14, 2014 - 12:14 Reply with quote Back to top

yup, all good skill picks suggested so far for goblins not disagreeing there, though the doubles are what is important. But the skills you are suggesting would add huge TV value to a team. Where as you could go with a rookie team and play with ripper morg etc.... and it would be better than the skilled up teams you are suggesting, like this team, seriously watch their games - https://fumbbl.com/p/team?op=view&showmatches=1&team_id=703862

but yeah as you say Wolbum -
Quote:
The main reasoning you play Goblins however is the same as the other stunties : A challenge. The point of course in continuing a Goblin team is to continue to find ways to be a complete annoyance to other teams who may be less prepared for a coach who has a few tricks up his sleeve. Heck just look at Stick Steve the star Pogoer in Ranked. I love the green gits and I think FUMBBL would be a much happer, jollier place if we saw more Goblin coaches around!

all true
I guess I just don't have the motivation to build one at the moment. I enjoyed building flings a lot more though, because you actually want your trees skilling up. The idea that I can never build a team better than a rookie goblin team just made me feel like it was a waste of time sadly Sad

Post   Posted: May 14, 2014 - 12:16 Reply with quote Back to top

jamesfarrell129 - all true, though I am talking specifically on this environment. I think there is a lot more fun to be had with them at TT tourneys etc... as you say Smile

Post   Posted: May 14, 2014 - 12:18 Reply with quote Back to top

@ Josh and Wolbum
You convinced me to at least give it a try. As much as I love the weapons, which is why I started playing gobbos in the first place, my next Box Gobbo sprinter will only have the saw.
Btw, did you know that scientific research has proven that the goblin player performs better when hearing the sound of the chainsaw every turn? Razz
Wolbum

Post   Posted: May 14, 2014 - 12:23 Reply with quote Back to top

Just one last note: You need the apothecary for the start! Trolls are so important to the team and while regeneration is awesome, it's simply not safe enough by itself. Two gobbos dead is only 80k and a few stat injuries or nigglings can be kept on without much detriment to the team. But losing a troll at the start is going to leave a mark,if not retirement for the team depending on the damage.

@cdassak: Glad to hear that Razz. The green gits can be great or infuriating. But regardless it's all part of the Gobbo experience. Hope you enjoy!

Last edited by Wolbum on %b %14, %2014 - %12:%May; edited 2 times in total
mister__joshua

Post   Posted: May 14, 2014 - 12:23
FUMBBL Staff
Reply with quote Back to top

I think when the Dirty Tricks are implemented Goblins will see more play Very Happy

Mr. J's LRB7 / Forum
Garion

Post   Posted: May 14, 2014 - 12:33 Reply with quote Back to top

Wolbum wrote:
Just one last note: You need the apothecary for the start! Trolls are so important to the team and while regeneration is awesome, it's simply not safe enough by itself. Two gobbos dead is only 80k and a few stat injuries or nigglings can be kept on without much detriment to the team. But losing a troll at the start is going to leave a mark,if not retirement for the team depending on the damage.

yup, I agree, and it fits with the starting roster I put on page 1 as well. So its not like its to bloaty. I like saving a BH at the end of the first half as well to stop having to field a secret weapon for the final turn of the drive if my opponent scores. Or saving an early ko in the second half to keep my numbers up.

Quote:
think when the Dirty Tricks are implemented Goblins will see more play Very Happy

oooh good shout Twisted Evil

Post   Posted: May 14, 2014 - 12:35 Reply with quote Back to top

Garion wrote:

yup, I agree, and it fits with the starting roster I put on page 1 as well. So its not like its to bloaty. I like saving a BH at the end of the first half as well to stop having to field a secret weapon for the final turn of the drive if my opponent scores. Or saving an early ko in the second half to keep my numbers up.

Oh aye, I know you had it in your starting roster. But I was referring to the other coaches who may have been curious about Goblin shenanigans who might be floating around this thread Razz. But definitely yeah, even for SW management if you go down that route, the apothecary is brill.
Wreckage

Post   Posted: May 14, 2014 - 12:42 Reply with quote Back to top

FF should count towards TV. It's a decent compensation for success and it's almost worth its TV. Don't think you'd fare better with your Goblins if everybody else had FF 0.
Garion

Post   Posted: May 14, 2014 - 12:53 Reply with quote Back to top

Wreckage wrote:
FF should count towards TV. It's a decent compensation for success and it's almost worth its TV. Don't think you'd fare better with your Goblins if everybody else had FF 0.

If FF didn't count towards TV and your team takes a beating so it is basically a rookie team but with 160 TV in fan factor the team gets retired and started again, for this reason alone it shouldn't count towards TV. Anything that encourages rebuilding is a good thing and anything that encourages retirement is not. As for the price you pay for success I have always felt a cumulative TV increase for skilling up would have been the better way to handle things. So skill increases go 20k 20k 30k 30k 40k 40k. This makes even skill distribution the way to go again which I personally what I preferred and it adds to the cost of success idea you are referring to.

The point with Goblins I was making is - Your team is best when it is rookie however if FF didn't count towards TV then you could potentially make a team that was pretty good, by firing players until you get all the skills you need -

so in a perfect world you would end up with a team of - goblins all blodged up, maybe with one wrestle dauntless, a blodge SH, SS pogo player, one block tackle dauntless, and some DP. Trolls blodge, BT, Guard , Stand firm, Chainsaw blodge, DP, fanatic block MB, Grab. bombardier - HMP, Pass.

So they would be the ideal build for goblins and the chance to be able to build a team that closely resembled that team in some way would be nice, I'm still not sure that team would be better than a rookie goblin team, but it would be up for debate. FF is just one additional thing that makes building a team that is better than rookie goblins very hard. Because of that and the fact agility skills are on the whole pointless for goblins the fact remains a rookie goblin team is better than anything you can build. Which should never be the case and I do not think it is for any other teams really.

Last edited by Garion on %b %14, %2014 - %12:%May; edited 1 time in total
Roland

Post   Posted: May 14, 2014 - 12:55 Reply with quote Back to top

in NTBB the goblins have river trolls, which don't have loner and comes with FA and TS ;D
Garion

Post   Posted: May 14, 2014 - 13:00 Reply with quote Back to top

Roland wrote:
in NTBB the goblins have river trolls, which don't have loner and comes with FA and TS ;D

yup I know Rolling Eyes god that rule set gets worse every time he makes a change. removing loner is obvious and it should never have been on them in the first place. But FA and thick skull is really bad. Also they have leader on the rookie chaos minotaur Laughing Laughing Laughing Laughing Laughing

so bad!

Post   Posted: May 14, 2014 - 13:53 Reply with quote Back to top

Garion I have written a guide for the GLN, that should be up for the next release in it. How I ran my Goblins in the black box.

I had a good run with them until my 34 match when I decided to sack every thing and rebuild. I had around 50% win (win and draw together).

PO is a must on your trolls and block IMO. The Loner should be removed as you said.

Your Ball and Chain must also get block also on first skill. And I really hate that if your B&C get prone that it get ejected. Should instead have a 4+ or even a 5+ to get up and starting again.

As you point out, 3 secret weapons will cripple your team fast. Vs agile and fast will just score fast and you will be down quickly in players.

Always get bribes when you can and begin to foul.

---

What I have learned from rebuilding and playing several Goblin teams is this:
Your trolls and B&C need block, else you get screwed over. If these does not have block, you will have a really hard time getting them going.
Garion

Post   Posted: May 14, 2014 - 14:05 Reply with quote Back to top

Ehlers wrote:

Your Ball and Chain must also get block also on first skill. And I really hate that if your B&C get prone that it get ejected. Should instead have a 4+ or even a 5+ to get up and starting again.

I know what you mean, but personally I don't mind this rule, S7 can be tricky to knock down, though he needs block badly or people just half dice him down with ease.

His biggest problem for me is Ma3, if like Fungus he had Ma4 then you could get him to a crowd and then back to safety a little more reliably. But Ma 3 often means you send him in to battle and cant risk the GFI to get him to safety which means he goes down when you cant move your trolls next to him for support.

Post   Posted: May 14, 2014 - 14:11 Reply with quote Back to top

Now here's an idea that just occurred to me, so I suspect it may be terrible, I haven't thought it through: what if the B&C's movement was more directed? i.e. 1 - left, 2-5 straight, 6 - right. Or that might be too extreme. Perhaps instead using a d8, with 1-2 left, 3-6 straight, 7-8 right.

You'd have a little more control over where it went, but that would be countered by the decreased likelihood of being able to move in the diagonal direction you sometimes want to move in. Just as obviously not going to happen as any of the other suggested changes, but is it actually any good? I'm not sure.

Post   Posted: May 14, 2014 - 14:57 Reply with quote Back to top

Garion then you would be able to create a monster with 6 movement, add 2 gfi and he has 8 blocks. I too find it frustrating at times with only m3, but you need to balance him for the legend role too. I would believe the extra movement would make him really good. I would rather have him make an armour role then, if he pass it he stays on the pitch. Would require some kind of dice roll to get up and going, be it 4+, 5+ or 6+.

Xnoelx, I like your idea on paper, but not actually play. The more reliable and the move movement he has, the more dangerous and annoying it is to play vs him. I have had turns with my Fanatic hitting and knocking down at least 3+ guys.
 Jump to: