24 coaches online • Server time: 01:58
Forum Chat
Recent Forum Topics goto Post Borg Invasiongoto Post Finishing the 60 Gam...goto Post GIF Guide
SearchSearch 
View previous topic Log in to check your private messages View next topic
Cloggy

Post   Posted: Nov 24, 2004 - 16:47 Reply with quote Back to top

I would perhaps do that, were it not that I did not know the rules myself, during the game. Embarassed

In fact when my opponent freaked out over the failed roll I even asked him whether he might be able to score regardless, to which he replied: "Oh perhaps I'll try that" and did!

So I can't blame him for doing so. Still, if this bug is not fixed any coach will claim not to know about the rule and apologise afterwards right? Twisted Evil
BadMrMojo

Post   Posted: Nov 24, 2004 - 16:55 Reply with quote Back to top

Cloggy wrote:
...So I can't blame him for doing so. Still, if this bug is not fixed any coach will claim not to know about the rule and apologise afterwards right?

Well, for starters, I wasn't suggesting you blame him. Inform him. Much more useful.

I know, I'm being pedantic. I get that way when trying to make a point.

As far as people abusing bugs and rules for as long as they possibly can and then spewing forth lies to cover their lack of discipline to actually play the game (which is defined in this case as following a set of arbitrary rules, agreed upon beforehand), then try a search for one of my tirades on why misanthropy suits me so well. People just suck, as a rule.

Post   Posted: Nov 24, 2004 - 16:59 Reply with quote Back to top

(9) LRB (2.0 - p16) states that players only score a touch down
when they end their action in the end zone. In the game you
score as soon as you enter the endzone (standing) with the ball.
AndersB

Post   Posted: Nov 24, 2004 - 17:22 Reply with quote Back to top

I actually watched Mithrilpoint doing the above-mentioned: And I was curious when his ball carrying Vamp got the OFAB - Mithrilpoint did what I would do, moved a Thrall up before getting the OFAB (I think) just to be on the safe side, then selecting the Vamp, getting the OFAB and moving to the endzone - I thought he'd score and bite the Thrall (simultaniously)... He didn't get to bite the Thrall, but he couldn't know that - he gambled and got lucky... And who wouldn't do what he did?
It's a bug, but it's a minor one... Until it is fixed I think people should, in the Spirit of Bloodbowl, avoid doing the TD as it seems that that is bad form... Mithrilpoint didn't know that...
In any case it's a moot point for me, as I'd never coach a Vamp team (I think they suck ;-D ) and if an opponent Vamp coach did it to me I would still congratulate him - and THEN report him to an Admin (just kidding!)...
BadMrMojo

Post   Posted: Nov 24, 2004 - 17:43 Reply with quote Back to top

AndersB wrote:
... moved a Thrall up before getting the OFAB (I think) just to be on the safe side, then selecting the Vamp, getting the OFAB and moving to the endzone - I thought he'd score and bite the Thrall (simultaniously)... He didn't get to bite the Thrall, but he couldn't know that - he gambled and got lucky... And who wouldn't do what he did?...

Me... because I'm always right Razz wrote:
Here's the tricky part: going into the endzone and scoring a touchdown when there's no thrall in sight is cheating. Entering the endzone when there is a thrall in biting range but the client doesn't resolve the bite is not cheating.

Sounds like a perfectly legal move. The JBB "bug" overrides the LRB in this case because he did not have the choice of biting the thrall before ending his move and scoring the td. Therefore, he made every attempt (in this case putting a thrall next to the space where he scored the TD) to follow the Rules Review clarification and then was overridden by JBB.

Everyone should handle it so well, I would hope. If I were his opponent, I certainly wouldn't fault him for not inflicting more damage on his team because he was incapable of doing so. Smile

Post   Posted: Nov 24, 2004 - 17:54 Reply with quote Back to top

Quote:
Until it is fixed I think people should, in the Spirit of Bloodbowl, avoid doing the TD as it seems that that is bad form...

Not a vamp coach but denying the TD to a coach like Mithrilpoint who did everything right (advanced the Thrall, ended his turn next to him) seems more severe than denying his opponent the possibility of removing a Thrall from the game and is arguably just as much an exploitation of client limitations. Just scoring the TD without any regard to whether there's a Thrall there is obviously bug exploitation.

Perhaps one could roll the injury dice in chat and agree to abide by the result? That seems fairest, if a bit unwieldy.

Or maybe it should just be treated as a "difference from the LRB". I suspect (could be wrong, only SkiJunkie can say for sure) that doing this properly is a somewhat significant deviation from the way the client currently handles TDs, might be tricky to code.

Post   Posted: Nov 24, 2004 - 18:02 Reply with quote Back to top

It IS a 'difference from LRB' and therefore takes precedent over it. Scoring while OFAB is not cheating whether you have any thrall there or not.

Its there written down.
mutescreamer

Post   Posted: Nov 24, 2004 - 18:02 Reply with quote Back to top

sounds to me that mithrilpoint did everything right.

Although he benefited from the bug you wouldn't expect him to have to go stupidly out of his way possibly negating the chance of a td (which on tt would have been guarenteed) just to avoid causing controversy.

and besides....Thralls have a hard life anyway
SparkingConduit

Post   Posted: Nov 24, 2004 - 18:15 Reply with quote Back to top

It's nice that Mithrilpoint did everything right. But I'm tired of losing games to vampires because they score with their vamp whose thrall is like 8 squares away yet the vamp is 2 squares from the end zone and just waltzes in. I feel we should tell vamp coaches if it's impossible to bite a thrall, you should just end your turn and have the vampire run off to bite the neck of a lily white maiden. It only seems fair. But, of course, it's not fair, so whatever.

Dust

Post   Posted: Nov 24, 2004 - 18:25 Reply with quote Back to top

I think you've got it all wrong.

The purpose of biting thralls is to keep the vampire from leaving the pitch for a snack. If a vampire holding the ball close to the end zone starts feeling a bit hungry, why shouldn't he be allowed to make a touchdown so that he can dodge into the audience for the the famous lily white maiden? After all, he deserves it for making the TD.

Post   Posted: Nov 24, 2004 - 18:27 Reply with quote Back to top

Britnoth wrote:
It IS a 'difference from LRB' and therefore takes precedent over it. Scoring while OFAB is not cheating whether you have any thrall there or not.

Its there written down.

He's right (and he quoted it above, I just didn't recognize the source).

From the DifferencesFromTheBoardgameFAQ: "(9) LRB (2.0 - p16) states that players only score a touch down when they end their action in the end zone. In the game you score as soon as you enter the endzone (standing) with the ball."

Still seems to me you ought to follow the rules as closely as possible (ie. move that Thrall within range) but in light of this I'm not sure it can actually be called cheating not to since it moves it out of the "bug" category into the "feature".

Post   Posted: Nov 24, 2004 - 18:32 Reply with quote Back to top

Britnoth wrote:

For reasons I went on about above, I disagree. You have the option of either exploiting the bug by waltzing in to cause a TD despite the fact that it is against some of the rules (in this case, the LRB + BBRC supplements) or moving - possibly in the wrong direction - to bite a thrall. If you have the option, you should try to follow all the rules, not simply the most convenient.

Just my opinion but it sounds like the exact sort of thing covered by the "Abusing obvious bugs..." clause I quoted earlier.
Quote:
Its there written down.

Where? Not in the DifferencesFromBoardGameFAQ.txt file. ( edit: I just saw the post above mine. Missed that one. Still, not the point, if you have the option of following the LRB + BBRC rules, then you have to do so )

Post   Posted: Nov 25, 2004 - 00:58 Reply with quote Back to top

BadMrMojo wrote:
Just my opinion but it sounds like the exact sort of thing covered by the "Abusing obvious bugs..." clause I quoted earlier.
Quote:
Its there written down.

Where? Not in the DifferencesFromBoardGameFAQ.txt file. ( edit: I just saw the post above mine. Missed that one. Still, not the point, if you have the option of following the LRB + BBRC rules, then you have to do so )

That is fine, but it works both ways. If i get a blitz! and score in one turn from catching the ball in the TD zone.... by the LRB its a score, by the client it isnt. The fumbbl rules say if it is recognised as part of the way the client interprets the LRB then it is the rule we all follow. Just the same as you do not have to end your turn after 4 minutes or many other ways the client differs from the 'official' rules.

Someone call a rules lawyer.
BadMrMojo

Post   Posted: Nov 26, 2004 - 23:23 Reply with quote Back to top

No need to call anyone. From Christer's news post, I understand it as my mistake in this case.

I, personally, still disagree but such is the word of the admins, so such is the rules. Score while OFAB to you're heart's content, everyone.

Post   Posted: Nov 27, 2004 - 10:06 Reply with quote Back to top

It isn't that important IMO that teams do. Well, let's consider that they run on the line scores and suffer terrible pain while scoring. It isn't that illogical even if BB isn't suppose to be logic (I still like to die making a GFI, my favourite injury. lol)

So I'm ok if any vampire team scores me a TD while feeling the urge.
 Jump to: