13 coaches online • Server time: 05:59
Forum Chat
Recent Forum Topics goto Post Blood Bowl 2024 Edit...goto Post NBFL Season 32: The ...goto Post RNG speculations
SearchSearch 
View previous topic Log in to check your private messages View next topic
Macavity

Post   Posted: Jan 22, 2005 - 22:57 Reply with quote Back to top

Johan, I couldn't disagree more. Because of ageing, starting skills are very useful. With two rolls on a human catcher you have a blodging side-stepper with catch. The chances of having any kind of decent catcher on an orc team without NNiggles and what not is small (one example)

Post   Posted: Jan 22, 2005 - 23:21 Reply with quote Back to top

High average AV = Good long term team

Simple.

*cough* *high elf cheese* *cough*

Post   Posted: Jan 22, 2005 - 23:37 Reply with quote Back to top

Well, I'm not saying High AV doesn't help, but saying "high stats" and including elves in that statement.....

Post   Posted: Jan 22, 2005 - 23:48 Reply with quote Back to top

It's easy to get gobs/flings to 200TR, it is trying to keep the TR/TS balanced that is difficult.

You can easily have a 200/150 gobbo team, but you are much better off at 160/150

Post   Posted: Jan 22, 2005 - 23:55 Reply with quote Back to top

Start off skaven with 11 linerats, one thrower, 4 RR, apo and 9 FF. Good linerats after a while and gutter skill up quickly once you get them.
Ibsenarden

Post   Posted: Jan 22, 2005 - 23:58 Reply with quote Back to top

If a team u can still play with at TR 200 is what u want, i'd say humans are the most playable. No ones ever turned down a game against my human teams. And certainly less expensive to replace *grin*
Ironik

Post   Posted: Jan 23, 2005 - 00:04 Reply with quote Back to top

Orks and Chaos Dwarves have very good developement potential, and are also very good teams at all stages in their developement.

Dark Elves and High Elves if you don't mind cherrypicking a bit.

Pro Elves or Wood Elves if you don't mind cherrypicking a LOT.

Chaos if you like bashing more than winning.

Dwarves are good in the short run, medium run and maybe even long run, but not in the very long run (not that you'll get any matches anyway, so...)

Norse, Amazons, Undead, Halflings and Goblins are poor in the long run.

The rest of the teams fall in between.

/johan

let me add Kehmri. They DO bash like chaos player can only dream...
AFK_Eagle

Post   Posted: Jan 23, 2005 - 06:15 Reply with quote Back to top

My humans manage to stay above 200 TR for dozens of games at a time, as the players are able to support each other quite effectively. Are player losses regular? You bet! However, they don't lose players as often as elves, and compared to orcs/dwarves/chaos/etc, new players can gain their skills back far faster and become productive members once again. I actually find they play best at about TR 200, when every player has a couple skills to help make up for the stat-bonuses other teams get. Sure, elves can still dodge better/throw better, but not as much better at high-tr as they can at tr-100. Orcs/chaos can outbash, but at this level I have the skillset to bash right back. My winning percentage is not nearly as good as my skaven/elven teams, granted, but I have more fun and have a winning shot at every single game I play with them, so they're very entertaining.

Post   Posted: Jan 23, 2005 - 08:07 Reply with quote Back to top

orcs and Cds are very good imo in the long run, and both pretty fun to play
johan

Post   Posted: Jan 23, 2005 - 08:09 Reply with quote Back to top

AFK_Eagle wrote:
I actually find they play best at about TR 200

While this is of course a matter of opinion, I'd draw the line for real long-term at 250+ TR. Humans work there, sure, but it's not their optimal level compared to the competition.

/johan
Bascrebolder

Post   Posted: Jan 24, 2005 - 09:48 Reply with quote Back to top

Thanks for all the replies!

I do think Orcs and Chaos are really good long-term teams (probably the best) but I alreadt have a team of both these races. I also have a dwarf and dark-elf team which I consider relatively good long-term teams as well. I see a lot of coaches mentioning either elves, humans or CD’s as good long term teams.

I guess darkies and high-elves are okay in the long run but are rather similar so I won’t start a high-elf team just yet. The AV 7 elfves are just too fragile too compete at high tr. At least IMO. Humans are an okay team I guess but I just really don’t like their average-ness. So that leaves me CD’s. I have considered playing them many times but I just don’t understand why they are thought of so highly. Everytime I compare them to regular dwarves my conclusion is that the regulars are better.

Let’s compare:

Both teams get 6 (or more) very strong blockers. Instead of slayers the CD’s get two bull-centaurs which are kind of BOB’s on speed/cocaine. Nice but not all that much better than slayers with block, frenzy and dauntless and 40k more expensive. Instead of 2 runners and 2 blitzers the CD’s get hobgobs which are really really weaker with lower AV, no skills and only Gen access. The CD’s get a big guy which is nice but not all the great without gen acess… at the cost of 70k RR’s instead of 40k RR’s (a huge difference imo). Can anybody tell me why I would take CD’s over regular dwarves?
Pyro

Post   Posted: Jan 24, 2005 - 10:10 Reply with quote Back to top

I couldn't agree more. Perhaps issues of fluff or just a personal like for the CD's as a race may come into it. I also think it would be easier to get a game with CD's because they have the drawbacks you have listed.
JanMattys

Post   Posted: Jan 24, 2005 - 10:12 Reply with quote Back to top

Chaos Dwarfs are broken. That's by far a reason not to play them Very Happy

You know what? I'd go Humans. You say their averageness isn't appealing, but think about it:
1- You can develop in many different ways
2- They can stand against all other races and have a decent chance of not being outbashed/outrunned/outplayed.

Their averageness is what makes them unique. Elves, or Orcs, or Chaos (well, Chaos is a bit different due to mutations) are all more or less oriented in a single playstyle. Humans can adopt different tactics to face different opponents, and that's challenging (as opposed to no-brainer two-turns Tds by elves).

Just my two pence.
Jan

Post   Posted: Jan 24, 2005 - 10:13 Reply with quote Back to top

The reason you're gonna take CD's over Dwarves?

In short the bull centaurs. They are far more than BOB's, ideally they will be doing the majority of your scoring so will level up quickly and there are limitless ways to develop them into awsome players. I won't go into that here though as i'm sure there's plenty of threads on the topic floating around for your viewing pleasure. Very Happy
Pelzmuff

Post   Posted: Jan 24, 2005 - 10:14 Reply with quote Back to top

CDs are easier to play on defense than regular dwarves. They pack enough punch and tackle to outbash agile teams and the speed to keep up with them. They have enough staying power to stand their ground against bashers. Their best players skill up quickly. I didn't know how good they were before i tried them out. Turns out CDs are my ranked team with the best matchrecord now. The best thing about chaos dorfs: the bulls will pick up the ball on 4+ 95% of the time. At least in my games Wink. Regular dwarves are slow, chaos dorfs aren't.
 Jump to: