19 coaches online • Server time: 04:59
Forum Chat
Recent Forum Topics goto Post TSC Draftgoto Post 4,000TV!goto Post IBA Draft League
SearchSearch 
View previous topic Log in to check your private messages View next topic
screech

Post   Posted: Apr 06, 2005 - 19:52 Reply with quote Back to top

Ahhh, it makes me glad that sometime no one knows what I'm talking about. One of my beasts of nurgle got approved even though he has a terribly offensive name, (and as a side note; being a beast of nurgle and all, terribly hilarious. Trust me on this one.) but fortunately I guess the idiom hasn't spread too far.
The point here is an issue of semantics, not of syntax. Words are just symbols, not the actual things. These symbols convey meaning, and it's the meaning that is at issue here. Meanings of course are up for interpretation.
I don't know where I'm going with this.
Heh, that beast...it still skeeves me out sometimes.

Last edited by screech on %b %06, %2005 - %20:%Apr; edited 1 time in total
keggiemckill

Post   Posted: Apr 06, 2005 - 20:07 Reply with quote Back to top

When you think about it, alot of team names are meant to strike a reaction, urgo names that are simular to anatomy or unappropriate language are very apparent. I think some are witty, and I like any team name which will make me and others laugh. My "Regina Monologues" in a sense could be construde as rude since they are a play on the one woman show with a V at the start rather than the R. But that is left up to someones opinion.I meant them to be humorous rather than insulting. I guess the mods do thier best to keep things inline, when they can.

Jeffro
sehou

Post 14 Posted: Apr 06, 2005 - 20:50 Reply with quote Back to top

keggiemckill wrote:
Im still confused on what word that was. W**k**s ?

Question A point that you didn't mentioned is the fact that most of the approvers understand english ONLY. I wonder how many sour team names are out there written in italian, hungarian, swedish, french or even esperanto. Yes, discrimination by lack of knowledge. Here dear approvers, try this: Plotes du Câlisse. I'll be waiting for your answers Very Happy .
G_Force

Post   Posted: Apr 06, 2005 - 21:11 Reply with quote Back to top

screech wrote:
Ahhh, it makes me glad that sometime no one knows what I'm talking about. One of my beasts of nurgle got approved even though he has a terribly offensive name, (and as a side note; being a beast of nurgle and all, terribly hilarious. Trust me on this one.) but fortunately I guess the idiom hasn't spread too far.
The point here is an issue of semantics, not of syntax. Words are just symbols, not the actual things. These symbols convey meaning, and it's the meaning that is at issue here. Meanings of course are up for interpretation.
I don't know where I'm going with this.
Heh, that beast...it still skeeves me out sometimes.

Maybe it was missed coz you roasted them. why would anyone do that? I much prefer to get them raw, fresh and juicy

BadMrMojo

Post   Posted: Apr 06, 2005 - 21:45 Reply with quote Back to top

sehou wrote:
A point that you didn't mentioned is the fact that most of the approvers understand english ONLY. I wonder how many sour team names are out there written in italian, hungarian, swedish, french or even esperanto. Yes, discrimination by lack of knowledge. Here dear approvers, try this: Plotes du Câlisse. I'll be waiting for your answers.

Well, take a look at the Staff page and ask one of the appropriate approvers.

I'm not sure whether I was supposed to be offended by the "discrimination" line. It's ignorance on my part that makes me skip over Finnish-named teams, for example.

Does that mean I'm discriminating against Finns (by making them wait) or against Brits (by allegedly approving Finnish teams without actually being able to read and filter them, which is a false assumption)?

Post   Posted: Apr 06, 2005 - 21:49 Reply with quote Back to top

sehou wrote:
keggiemckill wrote:
Im still confused on what word that was. W**k**s ?

Question A point that you didn't mentioned is the fact that most of the approvers understand english ONLY. I wonder how many sour team names are out there written in italian, hungarian, swedish, french or even esperanto. Yes, discrimination by lack of knowledge. Here dear approvers, try this: Plotes du Câlisse. I'll be waiting for your answers Very Happy .

Or even Greek! Razz

Let me know if h omada me onoma poutsarades tha pernouse ton elegxo. Razz

p.s.
whoever wants the meaning of the above may send me a pm.

Post   Posted: Apr 06, 2005 - 22:00 Reply with quote Back to top

Oki, let's all learn how to swear in Zwaghili. It's just too bad no one else will understand the joke. :p
keggiemckill

Post   Posted: Apr 07, 2005 - 05:18 Reply with quote Back to top

Karhumies wrote:
Oki, let's all learn how to swear in Zwaghili. It's just too bad no one else will understand the joke. :p

Ive never actually been inclined or seen the spelling of the word "Zwaghili." You learn something every day on fummbl. For instance just earlier I learned that Roast Beef curtains were not a fasion statement, or a meal.

Jeffro
TheLegend

Post   Posted: Apr 07, 2005 - 07:17 Reply with quote Back to top

if anyone would take the time to PM my uneducated american... rear end... the meaning of w**k** I will give you a brand new shiny penny!

Post   Posted: Apr 07, 2005 - 13:59 Reply with quote Back to top

"Wanker" is British for "one who masturbates." It's sort of a silly word on this side of the pond, but I guess still has clout over there. Kind of like calling somebody a "cracker" in England is just funny, but the right person in the southern U.S. might take it as an insult.

Post   Posted: Apr 07, 2005 - 14:16 Reply with quote Back to top

Quote:

"Wanker" is British for "one who masturbates." It's sort of a silly word on this side of the pond, but I guess still has clout over there. Kind of like calling somebody a "cracker" in England is just funny, but the right person in the southern U.S. might take it as an insult.

i don't get the joke. i would only use cracker as a complimentary term about a good looking lady when talking with 'the lads' - no comedy there.
and wanker in my opinion has like most words extended from it's original meaning. it is more often now used as a derogatory term towards someone doing something you dislike along with the likes of bastard, arsehole, and many more (they just get more unplesent)

Quote:

Ive never actually been inclined or seen the spelling of the word "Zwaghili." You learn something every day on fummbl.

I never really thought about it before either but so far as i can work out the spelling is Swahili (even a google search confirms this) but i digress.

Quote:

For instance just earlier I learned that Roast Beef curtains were not a fasion statement, or a meal.

it's not? says who? maybe it's afters then

Mezir

Post   Posted: Apr 07, 2005 - 14:22 Reply with quote Back to top

I probably speak more Swahili than 99% of the people on this site, what with having lived in East Africa.

Asante sana.

Post   Posted: Apr 07, 2005 - 14:33 Reply with quote Back to top

keggiemckill wrote:

but we Canadians let alot of things fly where other might not. For example Gay marraiges. No biggie.

Gay marriages, that's what you get when the NHL season has been cancelled. Guys just gather up in a bar, drink beer and talk about hockey... Razz
Shepherd

Post   Posted: Apr 07, 2005 - 15:15 Reply with quote Back to top

G_Force wrote:

i don't get the joke. i would only use cracker as a complimentary term about a good looking lady when talking with 'the lads' - no comedy there.

That's the awesome thing about regionalisms. In England, when something is "cracker" it is great (or so I infer from your post) ... in the southern U.S., a "cracker" is shorthand for white trash. It's not really that much of an insult, but it can sting if you deliver it right.

Post   Posted: Apr 07, 2005 - 17:24 Reply with quote Back to top

He probably thought that the singer Uncle Cracker was just a really good uncle, rather than a red necked uncle. Just for all you guys who don't know Uncle Cracker, he is the guy who sang the theme song for the movie Shrek.
Another synonym that doesn't go well over here is when a English person asks for a fag (cigerette.)

Jeffro
 Jump to: