38 coaches online • Server time: 14:23
Forum Chat
Recent Forum Topics goto Post Making Assassins mor...goto Post ramchop takes on the...goto Post NAF Charity Tourney ...
SearchSearch 
View previous topic Log in to check your private messages View next topic
ClayInfinity

Post   Posted: Oct 14, 2005 - 07:54 Reply with quote Back to top

Guys,

I am posting this from work as I had a major meltdown with my PC last night and I believe the Power Supply has failed. I have bought a new one today and intend to install it ASAP, but if its not that, then I am at a loss what the problem is...

If I dont get on, then Season 12 may start a little later...

If you want to know the full details of my issue, visit my weblog (link below)

Clay
ClayInfinity

Post   Posted: Oct 14, 2005 - 16:47 Reply with quote Back to top

UPDATE; Problem fixed... I am back on the air!
Satans_mechanic

Post   Posted: Oct 15, 2005 - 10:49 Reply with quote Back to top

Hey all, just wanted to put a thought out there, see what the general sentiment was toward it.

Now, i realise that the league has a stated fondness for a relatively achievable road to premier to give new players hope of some future gratification, but personally, i would be willing to exchange a longer road to prem in exchange for expanded tr caps

Something like :
Prem = Unlimited
Conference = 250
Regional = 200
Bush Leeg = 150

I mean, as it stands, especially with the high premier division turnover (which i'm not against btw, you wanna play with the big boys, prove you deserve to be there) the cream of the swl is kinda piddly compared to the uberest dastardliest teams that fumbbl as a whole has to offer

I mean, really? Are we just the counterweight continent stopping the world from tipping over? Or is the SWL a force to be reckoned with? Are our premier boys hardened veterans of the bloodiest most toughly contested league in all of the old world or are we piddling pretenders from across the pond playing at the big boys game?

Anyways, just a thought, but maybe something to consider for future seasons as the number of active continues to swell season after season.
Discussion, flammage and general abuse may now commence Very Happy
chunky04

Post   Posted: Oct 15, 2005 - 11:20 Reply with quote Back to top

Premier division is currently unlimited SM, and as such anyone who is good enough to evade all the bashing and stay in Premier long enough can potentially get up there. This rarely happens in real Blood Bowl though, as compared to the bollocks that is ranked. Its a lot harder to develop a team when every game counts, and you can't pick your opposition.

Your proposal would also undo much of the work done to try and restore a bit more balance between the bashy and soft teams, as the softer teams struggle a lot more to consistently achieve such high TRs.

Post   Posted: Oct 15, 2005 - 11:32 Reply with quote Back to top

This is all true, and after some further discussion, it appears that most likely it would be nigh on impossible to fairly impliment higher tr levels in the competition

Do you think having more tiers would also advantage bashy teams?
Agi Teams would need to survive an extra season to hit prem
However Bash teams skill up much more slowly so it gives the agi teams an extra season to get the goods on them
However if the bash teams are skilling fast enough to reach the next divisions cap and the agi are going past the next divisions cap then that is a wasted advantage

Dunno, I'm not saying this is a firm belief of mine that anything i say is a must do for the league, but i felt the need to toy around with a few thoughts that have been circling in the old noggin, and as such, further discussion is welcome Smile

Post   Posted: Oct 15, 2005 - 12:11 Reply with quote Back to top

Satans, if you have something like this you'd like to test, why not try and convince a group to try it in Fringe? After all, it is a group for small tourneys, and a small scale test would be better than having the league 'Jump in the deep end'

Brad
ClayInfinity

Post   Posted: Oct 15, 2005 - 14:05 Reply with quote Back to top

ABigwood & freckles... you need to get your teams in ASAP...
ABigwood

Post   Posted: Oct 16, 2005 - 11:10 Reply with quote Back to top

Where? They are both on the SWL fringe list.

Andrew
chunky04

Post   Posted: Oct 16, 2005 - 11:57 Reply with quote Back to top

Tis OK, all has been sorted now Clay, just waiting for your august presence to do the draw now.

Post   Posted: Oct 16, 2005 - 12:51 Reply with quote Back to top

Well the draw wont be tonight...

I was at the cricket today and had one too many of the sponsors products due to the many bad light delays and it has taken me ages to type this simple note...

Too tired... too emotional... too pissed.

I will be on tomorrow... draw will be done then. Wink
Symmetrical

Post   Posted: Oct 16, 2005 - 12:53 Reply with quote Back to top

lolol

And the entire packed #SWL lounge groaned as one.

Post   Posted: Oct 16, 2005 - 13:34 Reply with quote Back to top

Twahn does the draw!!

TWahn has rescued me from my VB induced slumber and is doing the draw as i type...

Prem and Conf as per normal, but teh Regionals this season will be 2 divs of 14. Rounds 1 to 6 will be forfeited and then you will each get 7 games.

Issue is we only have 27 regional teams, which means there will be one FillerTeam bye. If we can get a 28th team, they will take the BYE slot, but otherwise, the BYE is 5 free points.

One bye over 27 teams is the best structure we can come up with given u cant have odd divisions...

Round 1 will be due Monday week.

PS - dont forget to cull your TR before your first game... Conference teams must be at TR200, Regionals at TR150
Twahn

Post   Posted: Oct 16, 2005 - 14:57 Reply with quote Back to top

ABigwood and Freckles have accidentally submitted Ranked teams and FUMBBL won't allow them into the Tournaments. This is easily fixed but for now, to enable the draw to proceed, they've been excluded and replaced with fill in teams.

Freckles has been replaced temporarily with the Really Old Oldie Guys.

ABigwood has been replaced with the Minor Deities.

Andrew, Emma, please contact one of the admins as soon as you're in IRC and we'll show you how to fix this up and get slotted in to play! Smile

Meanwhile, DRAW's UP people! Season XII, get into it!!

DonTwahn's Dungeon = Cheap Miniatures! Check it out...
Fool

Post   Posted: Oct 16, 2005 - 22:16 Reply with quote Back to top

I REALLY don't like the setup of Regionals this Season, and here's why:

1. Not playing Round Robin like the other divisions SUCKS! Since you're playing only half the teams in your regional, your measurement of challenge and success is not the same as the other coaches. They can draw better or worse teams than you. At least in Conf/Prem you know that everyone who you will be judged against is facing the same tough (or not so tough) teams as you.

2. Also SUCKY is the fact that regionals only have 6 games this year. A FILLER round? To me this absolutely stupid. There is something like SIX different teams in my divisions that I will NEVER play, yet I am competing against them for points and advancement. But I (and everyone else) has to sit out a week for a filler match? Why a FILLER/BYE??? Why not one of the 6 teams I have yet to play? Doesnt make sense to me, and it isnt fair either. It's super tough to go from Regionals to Conferences, and now there is just 6 games to build in? Good fucking luck. Regionals teams need more games to have a decent chance in Conference, not less.

3. Why not 3 divisions of 9 teams each, and 8 rounds? This doesnt stretch out the season more than a week, give the poor regional coaches who are advancing to conference one more game to build TR/TS and make sure everybody has the same draw of matches as all the players they'll be competing against. Why can't we have an off number of divisions? You advance the division winners plus who ever is highest in points after that. If there is a tie for points, you have a system to break ties, or in worst case a flip off or a playoff between the teams. Doesnt seem so difficult to me.

I don't know..... It seems like in the 3+ seasons I been in the SWL, people keep coming up with good and interesting ideas and they keep getting shot down by the oldtimers. Yet the REGIONAL draw this year (and anyone hoping to break into conference) is just REALLY crap. I'm very disapointed that this wasn't thought through better. It'd be nice if any of the ideas (doesn't necessarily have to be mine) offered up by some of the newer blood were considered, because the current system isn't working.
ClayInfinity

Post   Posted: Oct 16, 2005 - 22:25 Reply with quote Back to top

Simple answer is 27 Regional Coaches and fumbbls inability to process odd number leagues.

You work it out.

We have a 28th coach in mind (xstatika?) and he will take the filler slot (hence the topic in the irc channel).

3 leagues of 9, 4 leagues of 7 would be great, but cannot be done by fumbbl... and if it could, guess what... every round there would be a bye!

This way, only 7 coaches get the bye out of 27... imho (and Twahns and chunkys) thats the best result.
 Jump to: