46 coaches online • Server time: 14:52
Forum Chat
Recent Forum Topics goto Post TSC Draftgoto Post 4,000TV!goto Post IBA Draft League
SearchSearch 
View previous topic Log in to check your private messages View next topic
JanMattys

Post   Posted: Dec 13, 2005 - 14:24 Reply with quote Back to top

Ask Hunter.

Post   Posted: Dec 13, 2005 - 14:33 Reply with quote Back to top

JanMattys wrote:
Ask Hunter.

Will do.. about playtesting//rosters right?

I just read evo's guide again Razz

Fluff: Check
Unique addition: Check (I hope)
Balanced: I hope so Very Happy

Post   Posted: Dec 13, 2005 - 14:44 Reply with quote Back to top

Giant wisps somehow annoy me. Wisps are immaterial - irrelevant of size. But wisps are bog creatures, no? Why not let them ally with bog gobs, or something like that? A bog gob being to all intents and purposes a big-guy composed of mud and elemental spirit.

They might also have a hag - for either a big guy, or some sort of blitzer position. Str2 for being old, but maybe with frenzy or hideous appearance. Or something.

Of course, if you imagined wisps being generally nice creatures ... but really, what they do is lure travellers into the bogs to drown.
DreadClaw

Post   Posted: Dec 13, 2005 - 14:57 Reply with quote Back to top

Danger-Dan wrote:
Giant wisps somehow annoy me. Wisps are immaterial - irrelevant of size. But wisps are bog creatures, no? Why not let them ally with bog gobs, or something like that? A bog gob being to all intents and purposes a big-guy composed of mud and elemental spirit.

They might also have a hag - for either a big guy, or some sort of blitzer position. Str2 for being old, but maybe with frenzy or hideous appearance. Or something.

Of course, if you imagined wisps being generally nice creatures ... but really, what they do is lure travellers into the bogs to drown.

You should really broaden the horizon Smile The first thing I made clear is that "my" variety of wisp is the satyrlike (albeit dead) ethereal kind spirit. Not the evil necromantic type (such as bog wisps, who are Yellow in general, imitating lanterns)

Another thing is, Wisps DO vary in form and shape. and most importantly, I didn't want other creatures in a team that is essentially built around one "creature type"

A giant wisp, is still a wisp. It's just older, and has had more time to gather mass. Some wisps wither and dissipate into the ether, but some gather more due to some cause in ages past. these poor souls (which is what a wisp is if you go down to the bare bone) grow "bigger". In theory this means they become faster, stronger and more agile, but a 6/5/5/8 big guy with stunty just isn't going to happen Razz. So I made some concessions.

Furthermore I found that filling things that don't need filling (blitzers "emerge" through spp gaining) with new positionals isn't always a good thing. I like my concept because it is simplistic, but still offers a new feel to stunty. Nurglings only have 2 player types, Cflings have 3, and halflings 2. Goblins have 2.. need i go on?

Post   Posted: Dec 13, 2005 - 14:58 Reply with quote Back to top

I really like the ethereal theme of this team. So I was thinking, one thing is to block a cloud of light, another entirely is to keep it from blocking or assisting a block. Now giving all the common wisps guard would be way over the top, but why not give them strength access? It would give them the possibility to be devoloped differently. You might like a few with guard, and some with diving tackle, not to forget a few blitzers with mighty blow. As it is now, it will be the usual diving tackle, side step, sure feet, sprint scheme.
About the ancient wisps I'd suggest the following adjustments:

100k add Big Guy trait (noone tells this old spirit what to do during practice)

110k keep them as they are.

120k add either armor or strength, but I would keep their movement to better portrait them as ancient and sluggish.

/istarios
DreadClaw

Post   Posted: Dec 13, 2005 - 15:04 Reply with quote Back to top

Istarios wrote:
I really like the ethereal theme of this team. So I was thinking, one thing is to block a cloud of light, another entirely is to keep it from blocking or assisting a block. Now giving all the common wisps guard would be way over the top, but why not give them strength access? It would give them the possibility to be devoloped differently. You might like a few with guard, and some with diving tackle, not to forget a few blitzers with mighty blow. As it is now, it will be the usual diving tackle, side step, sure feet, sprint scheme.
About the ancient wisps I'd suggest the following adjustments:

100k add Big Guy trait (noone tells this old spirit what to do during practice)

110k keep them as they are.

120k add either armor or strength, but I would keep their movement to better portrait them as ancient and sluggish.

/istarios

The non-big guy on Giant wisps WAS intentional. it's why they are so costly (in addition to stunty) Saurus players were hugely overpowered in stunty, so I made them so expensive. I'm hesitant of another str+ (str5 break tackle, 3d block on 2+, 2+ with block tackle and rerolls?? (provided you need one double and 2 normal skills, but that's not that hard to imagine)no thanks) Mblow is impossible on str2 players, and giving wisps access to guard will take away the Skryre schtick and overpower them...

Maybe +1 avfor 120k but I'm not entirely sure HOW useful they are due to them being.. non-existant in the current ruleset.

Post   Posted: Dec 13, 2005 - 15:39 Reply with quote Back to top

Sidenote: Can anybody think of a star that isn't will-o the wisp (i do believe the fairies have him)

Post   Posted: Dec 13, 2005 - 15:56 Reply with quote Back to top

*makes a shameless Pat look at this Bump* (my apologies to everybody!)

Post   Posted: Dec 13, 2005 - 16:02 Reply with quote Back to top

Thanks to appreciate my works...
& ethereal spirits why not???
It's Good idea , Dooby to make a site for new rosters & tests....Great!!!
Pat with his project Wink

DreadClaw

Post   Posted: Dec 13, 2005 - 16:05 Reply with quote Back to top

Pat wrote:
Thanks to appreciate my works...
& ethereal spirits why not???
It's Good idea , Dooby to make a site for new rosters & tests....Great!!!
Pat with his project Wink

Appreciate?!?! It's brilliant!.. lol...

Wisps are mostly Glowing balls of "light" in some form or shape.. Maybe a blue ball for the normal wisps, and a "humanoid" form for the giant wisps and a hand or something for the wispforms? (just throwing out ideas)

As long as the giant wisps are big i'm happy Razz

Post   Posted: Dec 13, 2005 - 17:47 Reply with quote Back to top

If you're thinking of a tree spirit theme, you could have your "Wispform" be something like the tree sprites out of Princess Mononoke. I think that would be an excellent thematic fit.

(Edit note: the tree sprites are the weird little spirits who rattle their heads... it's japanese, of course it's weird. :p)

Post   Posted: Dec 13, 2005 - 20:32 Reply with quote Back to top

Star Player could be Jak o' the Shadows ala Wheel of Time. Somewhat reminiscent of Will-O in name only, but I still think it's cool.

Post   Posted: Dec 13, 2005 - 20:43 Reply with quote Back to top

Quote:

Quote:
JanMattys wrote:
Ask Hunter.

Will do.. about playtesting//rosters right?

Yep. My apologies... end of the semester for me, and been very busy. Haven't been able to read all of the new proposals and discussion in the Leeg, but will do so soon! Very pleased to see the amount of activity recently! Smile

To see a compilation of conceptual Stunty races which have been submitted to me, check out the Stunty Compendium. We had a round of playtesting a few months ago, and the results are on the site and posted here.

The next round of playtesting will hopefully begin in about a month, given enough interest. For all who are interested, sign up here!

New teams are always accepted for inclusion, given that they have been proposed in the forums and discussed at least a little bit. See the Compendium page (link above) for instructions on submitting a team to me.

One more week of writing, studying, and teaching... then I'll have more time to spend here!

Regards,
~hunter

Last edited by hunter on %b %28, %2006 - %23:%Jun; edited 1 time in total
EvolveToAnarchism

Post   Posted: Dec 13, 2005 - 22:44 Reply with quote Back to top

DreadClaw wrote:

Since you took the time and effort to read my guide and asked for feedback, I thought I'd comment a bit on the roster.

I've got to give you credit. This is leaps and bounds ahead of most Stunty Leeg Proposals.

Fluff: A very strong start. I think the ethereal/necromantic background is a solid base. It expands on the existing BB/WHFB universe. Double-plus good Wink Can't say I'm a huge fan of simple variations on 'wisp" though. A few names that spring to mind with very little effort: wisp, spectre, wraith, ghost, poltergeists, etc. Those would play up the necromantic background you have eloquently started.

Unique: This is where I have to truly give you credit. A team with the option to be built heavily upon stunties with no-hands and AG 4 add something truly unique (and it's based on very solid fluff). But the big kudos should go to the idea of a ST4 stunty as a big guy equivalent. And it still makes sense due to the ehtereal background. My only suggestion would be to think about adding Foul Appearance to some of the players. Supernatural players tend to be scary.

Novel Playing Style: High mobility due to AG4 and stunty creates a very mobile team. That's a bit similar to the snotlings, but the no-handed wisps and the funky big guy equivalent should create a team with a distinct playing style. If you added some FA to the mix, you'd have an even more unique feeling team.

So, in summary, it's a great starting point for a team. And that's saying alot. Most of my designs go through several incarnations before I settle on something worthy of playtesting.

Points I'd work on:
Fluff: I'd suggest coming up with positional names that are something more than just variants of wisp.
Uniqueness: I'd be tempted to add spooky FA to the mix
Novel Playing Style: I'd playtest the hell out of this roster as it's a rather revolutionary roster.

As Always,
Evolve To Anarchism
Evo's Guide To Designing Stunty Leeg Teams

Post   Posted: Dec 13, 2005 - 23:23 Reply with quote Back to top

EvolveToAnarchism wrote:
DreadClaw wrote:

Since you took the time and effort to read my guide and asked for feedback, I thought I'd comment a bit on the roster.

I've got to give you credit. This is leaps and bounds ahead of most Stunty Leeg Proposals.

Fluff: A very strong start. I think the ethereal/necromantic background is a solid base. It expands on the existing BB/WHFB universe. Double-plus good Wink Can't say I'm a huge fan of simple variations on 'wisp" though. A few names that spring to mind with very little effort: wisp, spectre, wraith, ghost, poltergeists, etc. Those would play up the necromantic background you have eloquently started.

Unique: This is where I have to truly give you credit. A team with the option to be built heavily upon stunties with no-hands and AG 4 add something truly unique (and it's based on very solid fluff). But the big kudos should go to the idea of a ST4 stunty as a big guy equivalent. And it still makes sense due to the ehtereal background. My only suggestion would be to think about adding Foul Appearance to some of the players. Supernatural players tend to be scary.

Novel Playing Style: High mobility due to AG4 and stunty creates a very mobile team. That's a bit similar to the snotlings, but the no-handed wisps and the funky big guy equivalent should create a team with a distinct playing style. If you added some FA to the mix, you'd have an even more unique feeling team.

So, in summary, it's a great starting point for a team. And that's saying alot. Most of my designs go through several incarnations before I settle on something worthy of playtesting.

Points I'd work on:
Fluff: I'd suggest coming up with positional names that are something more than just variants of wisp.
Uniqueness: I'd be tempted to add spooky FA to the mix
Novel Playing Style: I'd playtest the hell out of this roster as it's a rather revolutionary roster.

As Always,
Evolve To Anarchism
Evo's Guide To Designing Stunty Leeg Teams

Firstly, thanks for the positive critique, It's very nice to hear that my work wasn't completely off. *laugh*

The names, are *sadly* a bit lacking. your suggestion will be entered shortly though (check the edit!)

The giant wisp, or spectre might be in need of tweaks, but Playtesting will show what is better... Thanks for the suggestions!

If anybody has any (better) ethereal beings that may (or may not) fit in better, please do write! This is a "work in progress" and fluff is important!