42 coaches online • Server time: 17:55
Forum Chat
Recent Forum Topics goto Post Making Assassins mor...goto Post ramchop takes on the...goto Post NAF Charity Tourney ...
SearchSearch 
View previous topic Log in to check your private messages View next topic
Poll
Should the group admin decide wich teams go in wich qualifier?
Yes, my fragile skaven won't stand a chance.
10%
 10%  [ 4 ]
No, my killer orcs would love some nonbashy skaven in the dark quali.
39%
 39%  [ 15 ]
I don't see your point dude. (its too open for abuse)
50%
 50%  [ 19 ]
Total Votes : 38

Hindsberg

Post   Posted: Apr 20, 2006 - 00:21 Reply with quote Back to top

So the fluff remains incomplete. Would be nice to see it trough
Emphasy

Post   Posted: Apr 20, 2006 - 00:56 Reply with quote Back to top

My zons are going for the light for sure, lets see how bad those B****** can be...
Andy_Alt

Post   Posted: Apr 20, 2006 - 01:50 Reply with quote Back to top

Mezir - thank you for taking the time to create this tournament. You know that people are going to whinge no matter what, but your reasoning and your fluff make sense enough to me. I actually think the magic lanterns part is kinda cool.

I have no teams that could compete in these big tourneys, but they give me something to aspire to.
CorporateSlave3

Post   Posted: Apr 20, 2006 - 02:22 Reply with quote Back to top

Hindsberg wrote:
So the fluff remains incomplete. Would be nice to see it trough

I think the fluff as Mezir explained it is perfectly complete. The problem seems to be that you look at it from a BB coach perspective, even when deciding which races are good vs. evil, or hard vs. soft. While you might have something of a point balance-wise, I don't think you have much of an argument fluff wise.

The tourney is 'run' by High Elves, so the 'goodness' or 'evilness' of the races are supposedly decided from a High Elf perspective. Dwarves, greenskins, rats, and the dead all look evil to High Elves. The fact that normal Dwarves might obey the law of the land is overlooked due to racial hatred, and though rats may wear little armour, their pestilent, warped nature and filthiness hardly relfect an inner goodness the High Elves could see participating for one of their coveted Light Lanterns...

While they would probably choose to lump the Dark Elves in there as well, they seem resigned to the fact that in past years, when Dark Elves were in the Dark Qualifier (as presumably they would have been long ago) no Dark Elf sides ever entered the tournament. However, one or two 'High Elf' tourney champions were eventually discovered to have been Dark Elves in disguise. Since the High Elves couldn't stop this, they eventually just allowed all 'elves' in as Light races, so at least they would know who the Dark Elves were the whole time, and keep a closer eye on them...

Is that a good enough trough to eat from? Wink

Post   Posted: Apr 20, 2006 - 11:50 Reply with quote Back to top

Oh this semi nude girl... yes probably a high elf. Oh a terrific dark elf Arch... fiou, full of high elves. We lucker Very Happy

Post   Posted: Apr 20, 2006 - 15:41 Reply with quote Back to top

Actually the Light/Dark distinction has more to do with the magical Mists of Ulthuan. The High Elven magic was supposed to lump the groups into Light and Dark races (from a High Elven perspective), unfortunately the Dark Elven wizards are more than familiar with the magical mists that surround Ulthuan and prefer to take advantages of their knowledge to get in a few extra grudge matches against their arrogant brethren.

I addressed all this last time when I created the fluff/background/rules for this tournament. I'm glad some coaches appreciate the story (although not as detailed as I'd like it to be) behind the tournament. I wanted people to read it and so kept it rather brief. If only I had the time and interest to continue some of the projects I had started a FUMBBL. But alas I've grown tired of the vocal abusive minority here at FUMBBL. So, if any creative writers would like to write a more detailed narrative piece for the Ulthuan Invitational, you could always do it in the wiki pages I had set up for FUMBBL's Unbelievably Majestic Big Book of Lore.

As Always,
Evolve To Anarchism
Two Sides to Every Story?

Post   Posted: Apr 20, 2006 - 15:48 Reply with quote Back to top

As nice as the story might be and as much as i appreciate your work, the distribution leaves certain things to be desired Smile

Dark Elves in the Light group due to the High Elves ineptitude to control the magic winds of their own homelands?
Dwarves considered a "dark" race?

Seems rather strange to me. And it certainly puts some teams at a bigger challenge to even make it into the UI than others. Although it's a nice way to assure at least some playing teams and some bashing teams in the tournament.
 Jump to: