40 coaches online • Server time: 08:59
Forum Chat
Recent Forum Topics goto Post TSC Draftgoto Post 4,000TV!goto Post IBA Draft League
SearchSearch 
View previous topic Log in to check your private messages View next topic
Poll
Which format do you like best?
Faction type system
28%
 28%  [ 9 ]
Rookie/Elite League
12%
 12%  [ 4 ]
Conferences leading to playoffs
56%
 56%  [ 18 ]
Other type (ill tell you below)
3%
 3%  [ 1 ]
Total Votes : 32

Peter_Thorpe

Post   Posted: May 16, 2006 - 18:44 Reply with quote Back to top

your all nuts
Faction all the way!

Post   Posted: May 16, 2006 - 19:11 Reply with quote Back to top

brownrob wrote:
Absurd wrote:
It doesn't help when I'm Mr. Indecisive.

I like the faction and conference ideas, but also I like the idea of a rookie divison which could have it's owmn playoff. It's just that niggling thing in the back of my mind of what happens when those teams have played a season and are no longer rookie.

how about this...

run a rookie league in the vein of what he had in Season I, and then run a conference for the other teams?

the conference is something i havent come across here on fumbbl (its probably been done) but i like the idea of playing in your own group, and then getting fresh challenges in the playoffs

thing is iof we run a rookie league each season, we could end up with a bottleneck with a load of elite teams and nothing for them to play in...

what about mixing each conference by TR as well, better teams are better and deserve the better chance to advance, but the new boys can advance easily, a rookie conference could also work beside the others, with more teams in it

these are all ideas yet, nothing set in stone Wink

Id also love it if someone fancied a challenge to write up a Season I report writing about the self destruction of the Khaos Invaders right before the playoffs, drafting and exciting matches you have seen, and general odd events, such as one team having a horde of cash and as a result suffering bad morelys and It wasnt me!

Would that be a subtle hint to me, considering Khaos Invaders are my team...

I like conference best...
Doc

Post   Posted: May 17, 2006 - 17:14 Reply with quote Back to top

I vote for 4 divisions of 20 teams with a mix of vet and rookie. Give everyone open play within their division (since a lot of people have 2 teams which would be in different divisions, then they have a large number of potential opponents). With 80 slots there should be room for more late joiners. Then make a playoff taking the top 4 from each division with 1vs4, 2vs3 etc. If you wanted it to be even more like the USA superbowl, then make 2 conferences with 2 divisions of 40 teams each. Then have a conf. champ and a SUPER 7 champ game. Maybe even let people play up to 5 games out of their division but within their conference to add some spice. With only 7 players handicaps hurt (too bad we couldn't diminish the difference required in TR to get handis).
But with a good mix of advanced and rookie teams everyone should be able to find a game.
Absurd

Post   Posted: May 17, 2006 - 19:29 Reply with quote Back to top

Personally, I have 3 teams currently, but would like to add more Smile Therefore I would like to know if there would be a cap on number of teams.
Absurd

Post   Posted: May 18, 2006 - 10:21 Reply with quote Back to top

Just counted how many teams there currently are, 95. Just thought I'd add that figure if that helps in deciding how many teams would be in each division within a conference system.

I was also thinking, if we went with Doc's suggestion of 20 per division, maybe we should cap the number of teams a player can have to one per division. As there are 95 teams currently, that would mean the need for a 5th division (I, for one, can supply 2 extra teams to take us to 97 and I know there are others who want more). Just a thought.

On a different note, about the season I report. I know I can't speak for all the games, I didn't witness them all, so maybe one person could just collate the stories and match reports and put them into one bigger report. I'm not volunteering for the job, I'm sure there are better people for this. Confused
Karhumies

Post   Posted: May 19, 2006 - 22:28 Reply with quote Back to top

Absurd wrote:
Just counted how many teams there currently are, 95. Just thought I'd add that figure if that helps in deciding how many teams would be in each division within a conference system.

4 conferences of something between 25-30 teams each, with top 8 of each conference advancing into the playoffs (KO format, 32 teams total in playoffs) would sound about right.

The other option would be to make 8 conferences of 15 teams each - but that would, on the other hand, be much more restricting for the coaches.

brownrob: If you are looking for a non-randomized playoff schedule, look here: http://fumbbl.com/FUMBBL.php?page=group&op=view&group=3157
Non-randomizing the playoffs always adds spice to a league! Knowing the playoff schedule, the coaches can try to pick their playoff opponents by playing their last few matches of the season well or poorly to finish Xth in the division in order to get opponent Y - often the strategy fails and they end up with an unfavorable opponent they weren't aiming for. Wink

Pheel

Post   Posted: May 19, 2006 - 23:01 Reply with quote Back to top

I definately like the system for this season, but lets face it if you had a rookie team would you want to play Righters psychopathic Dwarfs? So I reckon that there should be a rookie league.

People complain about it being about how many games you've played, lets be honest as a social league if you dont want to play you cant complain if others do.

Saying about the fresh teams coming in, lots of people have a "-1" team, so i reckon using them may be a good idea to break them in, cos lets face it some of them definately cant be called rookie teams.
Absurd

Post   Posted: May 19, 2006 - 23:22 Reply with quote Back to top

Hmm, 6 divisions of 20-25 teams, top 5 go through plus the best two 6th placed teams.

Can you teall I have 6 teams in mind to use? Wink
SnakeSanders

Post   Posted: May 20, 2006 - 00:18 Reply with quote Back to top

conferences seem to be the most popular method so far!

@karhumies: I did seed the groups by the score they got in the group... so 1 v 16, 3 v 14 tc etc!

im so tired I cant think right now! buti might have some free time tomorrow Smile
righter

Post   Posted: May 20, 2006 - 14:20 Reply with quote Back to top

I think it's important to keep a brand new team away from the vet teams at first. Let's face it though, a rookie team can play three or four games and be just fine playing against a vet team that is a season old and recently lost players due to drafting/injury. I think divisions is the way to go.
Hammerhiem

Post   Posted: May 20, 2006 - 14:26 Reply with quote Back to top

Quote:

People complain about it being about how many games you've played, lets be honest as a social league if you dont want to play you cant complain if others do.

It's not the games you have played it's that a select few played so many more so quickly that those of us who missed day 1-3 found ourselves with no option but to play unfair games if you look at both my teams, i got 1 fair game (The first one) and from then on i was playing up 20 TR/TS for every other game. I don't mind because for me it was a fun league but there was no way i was going to win anything, the gap in team quality was just to big.

arghh bumflaps , another fumble. Why can't these Gobbo's just pick the ball up?
Walks_in_the_Sun

Post   Posted: May 20, 2006 - 15:18 Reply with quote Back to top

people keep noting that a new team shouldn't be locked into playing stronger teams. This is important, but likewise after a few games a new team may find itself out of the league of its fellow rookies and able to hang with the "big boys." Depending on the duration of the season, it's important that a team be able to challenge the most different teams possible, so that it can find teams near its own strength. This would require large divisions and/or inter-divisional play.
SnakeSanders

Post   Posted: May 20, 2006 - 15:36 Reply with quote Back to top

yup... is it down to a compromise between all 3? all have good and bad points to be honest! but were nicely summed up earlier

still a bit of time to chat about ti Smile
Absurd

Post   Posted: May 21, 2006 - 09:20 Reply with quote Back to top

Hmm, may be complicated but the conference thing for experienced teams, of say 4 or so divisions (maybe more), but also a rookie division for those teams to gain experience before being promoted to one of the main divisions the next season?
Hitonagashi

Post   Posted: May 21, 2006 - 18:34 Reply with quote Back to top

Hammer, one problem goes the other way, that in 11s, if you have a bad match, and lose 3 players, then it is mildly bad, and you will need a recovery game to get the cash to replace them. Speaking from experience, losing 3-4 players in 7s is catastrophic! About a quarter of the Khaos Invaders losses were played with starting from about 4-5 players...including my playoff. If I was locked into only playing top ranking teams, I COULDNT have recovered them in a reasonable span. Indeed quite a few new teams got easy games against me, as I needed to rebuild my team. I think I have been decimated(reduced to 3 players or less for more than one game) about 3 times.

Also, you get handicaps playing up ts. If you get lucky, you will beat them. Having a morleys and greatest can really hurt the team thats playing you, as with 7 players, you can easily lose half your team for a drive, and be forced to deploy fragile players on the los. Sure some teams have innate advantages at replacing players - for a woodelf team, if you lose a good catcher, then his AG 4 replacement is still good at what he does (as Fox proved against me!), whereas if a chaos team loses a ball handler, it takes a lot to get it back. Your teams of Chaos and Chaos dwarfs tend to need skills to really perform at 7s, so they suffer from playing up TS at the start more than an elf would.

Personally I like the conferenece idea, as it also prevents that. Because there are less teams, you cant get as far ahead without playing someone.

Jump to: