25 coaches online • Server time: 09:17
Forum Chat
Recent Forum Topics goto Post My 1st Blackbox tour...goto Post Finishing the 60 Gam...goto Post Borg Invasion
SearchSearch 
View previous topic Log in to check your private messages View next topic
Poll
What do you think of CR in Ranked?
I love it, shows how good a coach I am!
10%
 10%  [ 29 ]
I like it, but its open to cherrypicking
29%
 29%  [ 81 ]
I dont pay much attention to it
36%
 36%  [ 99 ]
I dont play in ranked because of it!
9%
 9%  [ 25 ]
Other reason
5%
 5%  [ 14 ]
more flowers!
9%
 9%  [ 25 ]
Total Votes : 273

pac

Post   Posted: Jan 26, 2006 - 17:48 Reply with quote Back to top

CircularLogic wrote:
Looking at the fumbbl-cup, you see that in most cases elfs had more TS or in the comments you see that they got really lucky.

The things is though: the elves only need to get lucky <i>once</i> (with a bit of Strip Ball and Leap, for example; not to mention a Blitz!) to upset the whole 'grind to 2-1' plan. There are few elf matches where the team doesn't have a lucky turn or two. One turn like that can affect the opinion of any observer: when in fact occasional luck of that sort is to be <i>expected</i> from elves.

Subjectively, it's much less likely to look as though the Orcs were lucky: since the biggest piece of luck for the Orcs would just move them forward a couple of squares, or remove a Blodger from the pitch.

Genuinely: I think you yourself would have far more fun with your challenge (and get more games with it!) if you opened it up a bit. This applies regardless of the facts of the matter as to who has the better chance to win.

Post   Posted: Jan 26, 2006 - 18:14 Reply with quote Back to top

angelface wrote:
So in chess, where is no luck factor, you beat 100 weaker opponents for granted, and in BB, where a strong luck factor exists, you can beat 100 opponents just because you are good.

In chess, let's say a newbie can plan one move ahead. Then someone who can plan two moves ahead will win every time, because there is no luck involved. So if you beat 100 newbies, you have shown is that you can plan two moves ahead, but someone who can plan three moves ahead is might still be better than you. So your chess rank should not go up just because you beat people of lower rank than you.

In Blood Bowl, in order to beat 100 newbies without loosing or drawing a single match, you have to win even the match where you are so incredibly unlucky that you must spend seven turns attempting to pick up the ball, and almost every block is a double skull and no dodge roll ever suggeeds. By winning that one match, you have shown that you have a lot of skill and worthy of a higher rank.
JanMattys

Post   Posted: Jan 26, 2006 - 18:24 Reply with quote Back to top

Mr_Launcher wrote:
In Blood Bowl, in order to beat 100 newbies without loosing or drawing a single match, you have to win even the match where you are so incredibly unlucky that you must spend seven turns attempting to pick up the ball, and almost every block is a double skull and no dodge roll ever suggeeds. By winning that one match, you have shown that you have a lot of skill and worthy of a higher rank.

Or you have shown how your opponent REALLY sucks.

Post   Posted: Jan 28, 2006 - 00:22 Reply with quote Back to top

Just to be sure you got it: PIIIIIIEEEEEEE!!!!!!!!!
-Buur

Post   Posted: Jan 28, 2006 - 18:26 Reply with quote Back to top

Buur wrote:
-Buur

I cannot remember a post where you didn't say:

don't feed the troll

or Pie

Post   Posted: Jan 28, 2006 - 18:32 Reply with quote Back to top

sk8bcn wrote:
Buur wrote:
-Buur

don't feed the troll

or Pie

Right here at the very bottom, and it's not even an old one:
http://fumbbl.com/index.php?name=PNphpBB2&file=viewtopic&t=7217&highlight=
Buur

Post   Posted: Jan 30, 2006 - 08:41 Reply with quote Back to top

Quote:

don't feed the troll

or Pie

You gatta aswer people when they ask a question.....
and those are aswers to alot of ramblings here ....
-Buur

Post   Posted: May 12, 2006 - 01:46 Reply with quote Back to top

Webbe wrote:

I feel that a lot of coaches don't play for CR though and I think ranked and unranked should change places. Unranked would be the main place to play random games for fun (a thing that most coaches enjoy but I really think is a waste of time) and ranked would be a smaller division where everyones goal was to get as high CR as possible. Maybe also give a medal or some other price to the coach with highest CR each month (or maybe the coach that gained most CR that month).

quoted for truth
Nighteye

Post   Posted: May 12, 2006 - 01:52 Reply with quote Back to top

CR=Rubbish
Pro511

Post   Posted: Oct 06, 2006 - 16:54 Reply with quote Back to top

The only thing I really don't understand is ties.

If two identically ranked coaches with identical teams tie, both ranking goes down.

Can anyone explain that logic?

It's just strange to think that if #1 ties #2 then #3 will have the highest ranking.

I can't imagine that happening in any other context.

Otherwise, CR is nice, especially as a Newbie. It's one of the many factors that can be looked at to determine how to get a competitive game.

But like Synn said. Play who you know and you'll never have troubles again.

Post   Posted: Oct 06, 2006 - 17:10 Reply with quote Back to top

Newbie511 wrote:
The only thing I really don't understand is ties.

If two identically ranked coaches with identical teams tie, both ranking goes down.

Can anyone explain that logic?

the logic is that you are wrong. Neither lose CR. It stays equal.

Post   Posted: Oct 06, 2006 - 17:13 Reply with quote Back to top

http://fumbbl.com/help:Ranking

here is the refence.

same TS=> TS diff=0
Same CR=> CR diff=0

10^0=1
1/(1+1) = 1/2

sonce S=0.5 in case of a draw, 0.5-1/2 = 0 so no change at all

You probably mistaken TR diff with TS diff.

Post   Posted: Oct 06, 2006 - 20:41 Reply with quote Back to top

To tell the truth, I dont care one way or the other about cr. True, it is possible to cherry pick that way and it happens to me very often. I dont care though if my opponant is hugely more skilled then I am, so long as the game is fun and we as human beings treat one another with dignity and respect, I consider myself a winner in the situation regardless of the score. This is because of how the time spent playing the game makes me feel.
This said, I totally ignore cr and try ot find opponants I can have fun with. The removal of it would not bother me at all. Likewise, its staying will affect me not at all as well.

Immitated in chat by another member "S**n"
Fama

Post   Posted: Oct 06, 2006 - 20:56 Reply with quote Back to top

My CR lately went down about 5 points mostly because I got very unlucky several games in a row. That's CR to you.

(oh, and I think it's a lot more accurate now than 5 games ago, but still, it was ~only because of bad luck (and in one case giving mercy, damn you PeteW))

Post   Posted: Oct 06, 2006 - 21:05 Reply with quote Back to top

Hmm.... Didn't I hi-jack this thread at some point?

BTW, Heroscape ROCKS! The online demo is "Basic Rues" and plays like BattleMasters, but the full game is great! Lots of troop, terrain, power combos to think about and planning ahead for moves makes for great fun.