39 coaches online • Server time: 14:36
Forum Chat
Recent Forum Topics goto Post SWL Season CIgoto Post BB2016 Ranked, Leagu...goto Post Borg Invasion
SearchSearch 
View previous topic Log in to check your private messages View next topic
Purplegoo

Post   Posted: May 10, 2015 - 08:57 Reply with quote Back to top

That is indeed the plan.
Purplegoo

Post   Posted: May 10, 2015 - 08:58 Reply with quote Back to top

... And let's get round 6 finished! Not long now!
Strider84

Post   Posted: May 10, 2015 - 15:16 Reply with quote Back to top

Lizzardmen, Elves, High elves, zones, 2 Woodelves qualified.

Where are the bashers?
JanMattys

Post   Posted: May 10, 2015 - 15:32 Reply with quote Back to top

Mostly in the second place:

Orcs, Chaos Dwarfs, norse, 3 Undead.

Post   Posted: May 11, 2015 - 15:36 Reply with quote Back to top

That is a lot of teams on 9 points for second places.
Purplegoo

Post   Posted: May 11, 2015 - 15:45 Reply with quote Back to top

...With not long until deadline (hint!)!

Our 6 winners will be confirmed this evening. I'll then set up the playoffs Wednesday, and we'll see how they go and how popular they are.

Let's have one final push in the next 36 hours or so and get a great end to the tournament. Get them played! Smile
Jiiiiim

Post   Posted: May 11, 2015 - 18:41 Reply with quote Back to top

Overall record of 2/2/2. 5 scores, 5 conceded. 7 cas caused, 7 cas taken. Zen bloodbowl.
Purplegoo

Post   Posted: May 11, 2015 - 22:55 Reply with quote Back to top

With just a few NA games to go tomorrow, Aus and Europe are there! See the below group PM.

In the cases of second placed teams separated by combined opponent record, this is a manual calculation. Don't be alarmed if the group only splits by net TDs / CAS and the ordering is different.

Thanks again to one and all for taking part. Those playoffs will go live on Wednesday, looking forward to more LCC action! Smile

Hi all!

The Lutèce Cup Challenge is now complete! Congratulations to our six group winners:

Euro Group 1: Strider84 (Wood Elf) / 2nd: MrPeng (Norse - qualifies for playoffs)
Euro Group 2: Tripleskull (Wood Elf) / 2nd: Estremo (Amazon)
Euro Group 3: JanMattys (Lizardmen) / 2nd: Flix (Chaos - qualifies for playoffs)
Euro Group 4: Justicium (High Elf) / 2nd: PacoSillas (Human)

North America: happygrue (Amazon) / 2nd: TBC tomorrow

Australasia: hbgs (Elf) / 2nd: Dazedmw (Undead)

Our winners will be forming an 8 team KO bracket with the two highest ranked runners up from the European groups (decided by score and then combined opponent record, there was one tie in the last place to be assigned!), and they’ll kick off on Wednesday. I encourage our playoff coaches to post game times in the forum as they slug it out, and you to get behind your man!

We will also have a Stunty final! This will be contested between gregkubly (Ogre) and Lorebass (Goblin), both of whom played in the NA group and amassed a very respectable 7 points!

For everyone else, please now feel free to retire your team if you intend to not use it again and / or remove it from the group, and stand by for more online NAF action! Information will be available after a short break.

Thanks to everyone for participating in the tournament, I hope you all had fun, and see you next time. Smile

Phil / Goo.
PurpleChest

Post   Posted: May 11, 2015 - 23:23
FUMBBL Staff
Reply with quote Back to top

Now firstly i massively massively dont care

and secondly would have refused any place instead of oventa or Flix as i lost to one and drew with the other.

and thirdly I only ever play to win, i don't really know another way, ask anyone thats played me.

But i went into the final round completely unaware of how the places would be sorted out. Even looking now it isnt clear to me that tied second places would be sorted by all opponents faced accrued scores. Which seems a little arbitrary and utterly beyond my control. Though i can see it is maybe a way of assessing how 'valid' the points we gained are.

i guess my feedback is: Thanks, this was fun. But i didnt feel i had a clear view of any objective beyond simply having fun (especially entering the final round), and hence wondered if others did and are left grumpy.

I'm not, i had a ball.

Post   Posted: May 11, 2015 - 23:42 Reply with quote Back to top

Hi, my last opponent for the Lutece Cup does not arrived, after several mails. Does my last game now count as a loss for both of us? It is not my fault that he wasn´t able to reply to my mails???
Purplegoo

Post   Posted: May 11, 2015 - 23:45 Reply with quote Back to top

Hello PC!

The tie breaker governing first and second place in each group was always in the rulespack as 'opponent's combined score'; it's not changed as the tournament went on, so you and everyone else had that information up front. Strength of schedule (a synonym for opponent's score on tabletop) is the best way of dealing with breaking ties for reasons you allude to, but we can't use it on the whole group because it's yet to exist in the FUMBBL code. TDs / CAS are as good as random, really, in some cases. I say the best way, but as I noted above, nothing is perfect.

Straume pointed out that a wrinkle of online play (namely dropouts and negative points, you don't get that on TT) gets in the way of simply using totted up score as presented in a fair way. W/D/L converted to overall score added up gives the result intended by design, so that's what I used. It's still the opponent's combined score (as per rulespack), just worked out in an equitable manner without -5s torpedoing anyone.

I appreciate the phrase 'opponent's combined score' is not the clearest in this context. We have the 'right' result, and I apologise if there was a touch of confusion. There was nothing for you to 'do' in the last round but try and get the best result. I will look at the phrasing if we use that tie breaker again and use a worked example.

Glad you had fun!

@Steffon: Sadly I cannot read minds. If you don't contact me by PM before deadline, I have no way of knowing what result should stand. I do my best to remind for people to get in touch, in future, please PM before it's too late! If you've any further questions, please PM me now.
Steffon_Baratheon

Post   Posted: May 12, 2015 - 06:49 Reply with quote Back to top

@ Purplegoo

Thx for the fast response. I waited for my opponent hours here, the time he mentioned (at last at sunday), and he was Offline, and no more response. Now we both got a loss for the last game, that is unfair, because i really worked on it to play the game. Sad Does that loss will be in my Online NAF Ranking? ... That would be bad. Thx.
ramchop

Post   Posted: May 12, 2015 - 08:11
FUMBBL Staff
Reply with quote Back to top

Thanks to admin for another fun contest.

I don't like the tiebreaker system used in this tournament at all. In the Aus group, halfway through the 5th round a lot of us thought 6 or 7 coaches had a chance of taking the title. Then our friendly neighborhood NAF official pointed out how the tiebreakers actually worked and that number plummeted to pretty much just 1 - and illusions were dashed.

I agree that opponent score is probably the fairest way, but it's just so invisible without a bit of legwork to find out what the situation actually is.

Thankfully the Aus group wasn't decided by tiebreaker. Well done hbgs, you had a stellar tournament. (I'm still amazed that I was the one that denied you a perfect record).

---

I hope bigbullies, who gallantly stepped in to fill the void left by a serial forfeiter, will have his record with Chaos corrected to 1-1-0 for the NAF online ranking. Not a bad effort for the 3rd worst TT Chaos coach in the world. Very Happy
sann0638

Post   Posted: May 12, 2015 - 08:16 Reply with quote Back to top

Interestingly, on tabletop it's the invisibility that keeps SOS interesting, you can't really predict it. Quite a few words have been written on this though!

Post   Posted: May 12, 2015 - 08:31 Reply with quote Back to top

Regarding rankings, bigbullies, or anyone else, is only going to be ranked for games that he played. Steffon, please copy me on the game PM.

Regarding tie breakers, again, it was in the rules, so far from obscured or mysterious. None of the winners were decided by tie breaker, which is good. In an effort to introduce the fairest tiebreaker to the tournament at the sharp end (as ramchop mentions, we're pushing for best), a manual step was introduced, which was indeed legwork on an already busy admin evening. If it's used in future, there will be an even bigger flashing light on it, promise. Wink

With that, if anyone that reads this gets chance to leave the Euro / Aus groups, that would be grand. Kicking 260 teams last time gave me RSI. Very Happy
 Jump to: