34 coaches online • Server time: 10:04
Forum Chat
Recent Forum Topics goto Post Finishing the 60 Gam...goto Post Borg Invasiongoto Post GIF Guide
SearchSearch 
View previous topic Log in to check your private messages View next topic
Poll
What is your worst fear?
Having ColdFun shoved where it should not be shoved
6%
 6%  [ 3 ]
Friend Computer may not be my friend
26%
 26%  [ 12 ]
Communism
41%
 41%  [ 19 ]
Bots with RED lasers
8%
 8%  [ 4 ]
A world without FunBall
15%
 15%  [ 7 ]
The shrill voice of clonebot RT5W
2%
 2%  [ 1 ]
Total Votes : 46

CircularLogic

Post   Posted: Feb 12, 2009 - 11:46 Reply with quote Back to top

Some problems:
- I was 'secret head' of research. Problems I saw with using that: 1) It`s secret, so I probably get terminated if I declare myself. 2) Noone is talking about research because noone understood it, so I couldn`t command someone and then report them as traitors for not following.
- In my mission statement, I was assigned the Hygiene Officer and the Loyalty officer positions, though my mission-description was the one of the Happiness officer. I just stuck to the Loyalty officer, because that was in the thread. Problem here: I had the ability to withstand drugs, but do I possess drugs to slip to others? The ability would fit with happiness officer who would have mood altering drugs, but I wasn`t that. I didn`t see some kind of inventory.
- Sublimal messages: Multiple mutants could send that. The problem here: How binding are those messages? If they are binding - which I assumed - then it would be easy to force people to commit clear treason. I was given a thought, that I MUST confess my mutation. Which is kind of a lame thought btw.. I tried to circumvent that by registering my 'harmless' empathy thingy. Yet I wondered what would have happend, if I had simply ignored that? And I was guessing, that my thoughts I was sending were ignored, too.
- Secret society: I was a commie! Yes.. now I said it. My secret society goal was to sabotage the project. But how to do that, when you don`t even know how that is going on? I saw no progress. When will the research be complete? What do I have to prevent? I was really in the dark and the fact that my fellow communists were not very responsive to my PMs that I was allowed to send didn`t help alot.

The game seemed alot of fun. But if you watch the amount of posts per day, you see a VERY rapid decline in activity, which I guess was largely due to people stabbing in the dark.
DukeTyrion

Post   Posted: Feb 12, 2009 - 12:28 Reply with quote Back to top

Quote:
You have also been <classified> <classified> a top-secret Mandatory Bonus Mission. The Hygiene Officer is an important warbot programmer, he must survive. Failure to complete <classified> <classified> Fun <classified> is treason. The Computer has faith in you, The Computer is your Friend.

You’re about 6’01” and male. You have black hair and brown eyes, something common to many of the citizens of Alpha Complex. Through careful planning and quite alot of luck you’re starting to earn quite a reputation among the Leopards as the "Spinebender" for your sabotage of the autocar guidance tracks known as "spines". Your latest job on a four-lane spine was so flamboyant and inspiring that it earned the praise of several prominent Leopards, including the infamous Vatman, scourge of the RSB Sector food prep areas.

The two other Death Leopard members are Zomb-I-GGS and Jan-R-TTS. You may communicate with them outside of the thread (so in PMs or chat or whatever).

My missions were to make sure Reis-R-DER survived, whilst terminating my own team mates Zomb-I-GGS and Jan-R-TTS.

My first task was to bring the early threat away from Reis-R-DER, after which Zomb-I-GGS was replaced and the replacement deleted, which left my main target as Jan-R-TTS. However, once I found out it was all a bit random, I was able to report Jan-R-TTS in the thread as often as I liked and then just rely on luck to have his clones deleted.

The game had some nice ideas, but I do not think it can ever really work on this kind of forum. People need clearly understandable guidelines, and often can only access the forum for brief periods of time, which is why standard Werewolf games work so well.

Perhaps this might work with 6 players, over the period of a few weeks, with game days lasting 48 hours, but for a fourm game, it was just a little too much.

I would love to get back to the standard Werewolf, as alot of these additional rules, while nice, seem to be all one-offs and confusing.

Thanks for running it though SillySod, it's appreciated that you put so much effort into it, even if we didn;t quite get he whole idea.
veron

Post   Posted: Feb 12, 2009 - 12:40 Reply with quote Back to top

My personal agenda was to make all bots free! I also had a more simple goal: to save a bot's life. I was able to find out that one of my secret society members (Dannyboy's character) indeed was a bot, but I was unable to save his life (I really wasn't expecting Foul-Y-KGM's attack with his laser Smile).

I was a pro techie.

It was fun, but a little too "what the hell is going on here?".

Thanks to all the players and especially SillySod.
JanMattys

Post   Posted: Feb 12, 2009 - 14:14 Reply with quote Back to top

Subject briefing 7K05:
You have been assigned to project codename <classified>. As an undercover <classified> <classified> the research project you have been given clearance to <classified> level 4. The project objective <classified> to create a prototype communism detector; this is of extreme importance to Friend Computer. It will be Fun. Disclosure of the mission objective will result in termination, termination of <classified> <classified>, and <classified> of <classified> DNA from the data banks.

You have also been <classified> <classified> a <classified> <classified> Bonus <classified>. Project codenamed <classified> must be guided down the <classified> <classified> Biophysical Reaction Analysis or failure is certain. See <classified> it happens <classified> make sure it is Fun. Failure to complete <classified> <classified> Fun <classified> is treason. The Computer has faith in you, The Computer is your Friend.

Subject clone briefing 7K06:
Like every other citizen of Alpha Complex you have been cloned to maintain a healthy population. This means that you need not fear death, one of your clones will complete your mission if you are unlucky. You are the first of six clones. Have Fun.

You’re about 6’02” and male. You have black hair and blue eyes, something common to many of the citizens of Alpha Complex. As a troubleshooter you’ve risen fast and have made it all the way to RED clearance. For some reason you’ve been sent on this boring weapons-free research mission. Lame.

You belong to a secret society known as Death Leopard. Death Leopard is all about attitude, noise, and enjoying life the way the computer doesn’t want you to. Two of the other guys are apparently in Death Leopard as well, some kind of plan to get a bunch of explosives. Your boss isn’t too happy though and has ordered you to waste them. Make sure they don’t leave the complex alive.

The two other Death Leopard members are Zomb-I-GGS and Duke-Y-RON. You may communicate with them outside of the thread (so in PMs or chat or whatever).

Sometimes The Computer sends you out to nab the infamous Leopard funsmith known only as “Captain Electric”. If The Computer knew that you yourself are the daring Captain, it’d crash a disk. You’ve heard occasional murmurs from fellow Death Leopards that you are not as full-tilt-bozo as you used to be - that perhaps you are getting old and cautious. But these murmurs don’t bother you. You’re saving yourself for The Big One - the caper that will rocket you to superstar-class immortality. In the meantime, there’s plenty of subtler fun to be had in an unsuspecting group of fancypants troubleshooters.

Your favourite way of doing this is with mind control. Ever since you were young people did what you wanted and you’ve slowly got better at being able to concentrate and send people subliminal messages. Made you the clearance you are today.

Each night you may send me a PM detailing a message and who the message is for. This may not be more than ten words.

You have the skill: Innocent Smile, level 23

So yes, I was the dreaded Captain Electric, and I was a Death Leopard, and I had to kill my mates.

To achieve this, I started sending subliminal messages towards Circularlogic (as head security). Then I declared I had received a message exposing Duketyrion, and it was not true, but my plan was to have everyone blame duke while at the same time declaring I had received a message (a fact that would have been even more credible once I started messaging people myself).

My two biggest problems were research and my special power.

Research: I knew my pals had something to do with exlosives. I wanted to either blame them, or monitor their research activity in the explosives field, and either accuse them or destroy any important research they were doing. But I didn't know ANYTHING about research, how it worked and how, as a group, we were supposed to do. So I wasn't able to act at all on my knowledge.

Special Power: i have never played Paranoia, so I didn't know it "Innocent smile" is something in the rules that would have been immediatly recognized as a power, or if it was something SillySod made up. I didn't even know what "level 23" meant. So basically I didn't know if I had to leave clues for sillysod when I was using my special power (example: /me looks around smiling innocently) or if I just had to conclude important sentences with a Very Happy, or again if I wasn't supposed to do anything at all and my special power could be used in a passive way.

Not having enough information to even act creatively on what I was given was frustrating, because it looked like there was much that could be done and I had no clues. All I could do was to research as randomly as possible and try to put people against Duke.

Last but not least: I didn't know how long the game would have lasted, which didn't help. These games are quite tactical, and even more so when the people involved feel they are running out of time. Was the games supposed to last until only one clone remained? Was it intended to last till research was complete? What research? By who? in What field? Was it intended to stop as soon as the first player got his main objective completed? The complete lack of circumstanced guesses about the duration of the game made it totally impossible to plot strategies. The only thing I knew was that I was supposed to terminate six Dukes before Duke could terminate six Jans... But that is not enough to have a proper plan.

Post   Posted: Feb 12, 2009 - 15:53 Reply with quote Back to top

I enjoyed reading the fluff. Smile

Maybe there's a way to run a "lite" version of this game? e.g. a paranoia themed version of werewolf with just a few secret rules.

Post   Posted: Feb 12, 2009 - 18:53 Reply with quote Back to top

So, when does the next one start?
Nexus_Six

Post   Posted: Feb 12, 2009 - 19:18 Reply with quote Back to top

I loved the game would love to play in another !

I was an anti mutant and staunch communist hunter.

Fun and games Smile
Nexus_Six

Post   Posted: Feb 12, 2009 - 23:00 Reply with quote Back to top

westerner wrote:

Maybe there's a way to run a "lite" version of this game? e.g. a paranoia themed version of werewolf with just a few secret rules.

Nah... all or nothing for me

Werewolf can just be really Pick on XX player you dont like rather than a strategic game
In my xp it normally is more clique orientated than a RPG
WindexChugger

Post   Posted: Feb 12, 2009 - 23:32 Reply with quote Back to top

It looks like fun...although REALLY confusing. Hopefully I'll get in next game!

Post   Posted: Feb 12, 2009 - 23:44 Reply with quote Back to top

Quote:
Subject briefing 7F17:
You have been assigned to project codename <classified>. As an undercover <classified> <classified> the research project you have been given clearance to <classified> level 4. The project objective <classified> to create a prototype communism detector; this is of extreme importance to Friend Computer. It will be Fun. Disclosure of the mission objective will result in termination, termination of <classified> <classified>, and <classified> of <classified> DNA from the data banks.

You have also been <classified> <classified> a special Mandatory Bonus Mission. The Happiness Officer is an important docbot programmer, he must survive. Failure to complete <classified> <classified> Fun <classified> is treason. The Computer has faith in you, The Computer is your Friend.

Subject clone briefing 7F18:
Like every other citizen of Alpha Complex you have been cloned to maintain a healthy population. This means that you need not fear death, one of your clones will complete your mission if you are unlucky. You are the first of five clones. Have Fun.

You’re about 5’09” and male. You have brown hair and blue eyes, something common to many of the citizens of Alpha Complex. You have only been self conscious for a seemingly short amount of time, before that you have a vague recollection of Happiness and unhealthy obsession for Funball. You assume that you must have spent most of your life drugged and stupid like the rest of the infrareds but that’s all changed now, ever since you reprogrammed that botbot you’ve risen fast and have made it all the way to YELLOW clearance. Well, guess thats luck for you. You can have nearly anything you want now, algae chips have become a regular part of your diet and you haven’t had to eat ColdFun in months.

You belong to a secret society known as the Anti-Mutants. Your group like to attack registered, and even suspected mutants in dark corridors with lead pipes and funball bats. You just can’t stand mutants with their dirty unnatural mutations, they’re a plague on Alpha Complex that must be stopped. Your cell leader has passed on information that a particularly dangerous group of telepath mutants are in your sector and has instructed you to eliminate them. He’s also heard that some dangerous chemicals have been shipped in, these are feared to cause mutation... use of these chemicals must be seriously deterred.

The two other Anti-Mutants are Sy-R-SIX and Kry-I-TEE. You may communicate with them outside of the thread (so in PMs or chat or whatever).

You have the skill: Fit Into Dangerously Narrow Spaces, level 12

So I was part of an anti-mutant secret society. I was also supposed to try to protect Dannyboi from being killed.

I failed at the second, I just didn't see that random laser frenzy coming.

But luckily that failure went slightly unnoticed, covered by my other action, which everyone will be happy to know about..

I am the one who attacked Jan-R-TTS. We were supposed to attack all 3 together (the anti-mutants), but the negociations went too slow for my taste. So equipped with my special skill, I jumped into ventilation shaft and infiltrated Jan's room at night. The mask had three possible goals.

Of course to hide my identity, since it would have easily made me a secret society member. However, I knew that making it look communist, people would jump on that and forget to figure who was under the mask. Finally, my goal was to actually kill Jan's clone and leave him wearing the mask. But that part failed, so I just left unrecognized. The fact that I was wearing the air-sealed uniform just helped raising paranoia between us, which was fun to confuse everyone, except myself.

As for those uniforms. I was the one that made the suggestion to Friend Computer. When I knew that Jan registered empathic mutation, I automatically marked him as part of the group of mutants mentionned in my tertiary goal. I wanted to protect myself as best as possible from any form these mutation-chemicals could take. However not to seem suspicion, i needed everyone to wear those suits. Which Friend Computer did make mandatory.

I also set myself a personal goal. Using research, I wanted to prove that all mutants are more susceptible to become communists. All my research were aimed to that goal.
RealMadns

Post   Posted: Feb 13, 2009 - 00:11 Reply with quote Back to top

westerner wrote:

A game like that was run about a year ago by CircularLogic.

http://fumbbl.com/index.php?name=PNphpBB2&file=viewtopic&t=13369
Nexus_Six

Post   Posted: Feb 13, 2009 - 01:04 Reply with quote Back to top

Subject briefing 7P80:
You have been assigned to project codename <classified>. You have been assigned the real mission, the Fun. Everything else is just a cover to protect <classified> from <classified> <classified>, you have been given clearance <classified> <classified> level 6. The project objective is to create a prototype communism detector; this is of extreme importance to Friend Computer. It will be Fun. Disclosure of the mission objective will result in termination, termination of your clones, and removal of your DNA from the data banks.

You have also been <classified> <classified> a super-top-secret Mandatory Bonus Mission. Project codenamed <classified> must be guided down the path of Biophysical Reaction Analysis or failure is certain. See that it happens and make sure it is Fun. Failure to complete <classified> <classified> Fun <classified> is treason. The Computer has faith in you, The Computer is your Friend.

Subject clone briefing 7P81:
Like every other citizen of Alpha Complex you have been cloned to maintain a healthy population. This means that you need not fear death, one of your clones will complete your mission if you are unlucky. You are the first of five clones. Have Fun.

You’re about 5’11” and male. You have black hair and brown eyes, something common to many of the citizens of Alpha Complex. You’re so glad you’re not a mutant! And you’re thankful to The Computer for giving you the genes for such a perceptive and analytical mind as yours! It has helped your anti-traitor crusade ever since you caught that Commie de-fluoridating the drinking water. Disgusting plot, trying to undilute our precious bodily fluids! Since then you’ve risen fast and have made it all the way to RED clearance. You can have nearly anything you want now, algae chips have become a regular part of your diet and you haven’t had to eat ColdFun in months.

You belong to a secret society known as the Anti-Mutants. Your group like to attack registered, and even suspected mutants in dark corridors with lead pipes and funball bats. You just can’t stand mutants with their dirty unnatural mutations, they’re a plague on Alpha Complex that must be stopped. Your cell leader has passed on information that a particularly dangerous group of telepath mutants are in your sector and has instructed you to eliminate them. He’s also heard that some dangerous chemicals have been shipped in, these are feared to cause mutation... use of these chemicals must be seriously deterred.

The two other Anti-Mutants are Wyrm-Y-WTF and Kry-I-TEE. You may communicate with them outside of the thread (so in PMs or chat or whatever).

You have the skill: Use HotFun To Make Machines Work, level 19
Nexus_Six

Post   Posted: Feb 13, 2009 - 01:10 Reply with quote Back to top

I was hunting the Telepaths and had an elaborate plan which if it succeeded would have been awesome.

My final attack on Jan which was a follow up to Wyrm, as we had been talking it over... was desgined to be a simialr attack on Jan using a leadpipe and spray painting COMMUNIST all over his downed body.
During this i had stolen one of the un-used uniforms and Circular Logics mask. ( Circ said.. Puts on suit and NOT the mask ) so i interpreted his words to make this work. I had STALIN written on my mask and if it had worked would have done the following.

Framed Circ as a communist AND the Jans attacker.
Framed Resiender also has he would have been suitless.
And id have come out much the happy Anti Mutant.

Although the game ended before my plan fell into action Sad
Msg was sent to silly sod on Tuesday so was a bit disapointed this didnt take place then.

I really enjoyed the game but didnt get enough msgs from SillySod to suggest I was in the right direction.

Out of interest what kind of things were the rest of you messaging ?
I was researching everynight and pretty much just copy pasting random research fields from the ones we were given nightly as i kinda lost interest being specific as i wasnt getting anything back

I was going to try to use my skill to make the communist detector work but had no clue of our progress on it and was scared to ask about it as I figured id have been killed for it !

I feel this is very GM intensive but i think it would be rewarding. Id love to be a part of another parnoia game and just hope everyone is not put off.

SillySod you did a great job setting up and running and really hope you set another one up ( tomorrow ) HAHA Smile
CircularLogic

Post   Posted: Feb 13, 2009 - 09:34 Reply with quote Back to top

If there is a high interest for a more complex game, I could run the rerun of Oil Rig with the improved rules.
CircularLogic

Post   Posted: Feb 13, 2009 - 15:40 Reply with quote Back to top

Signup for this game would be here.
 Jump to: