46 coaches online • Server time: 17:23
Forum Chat
Recent Forum Topics goto Post What To Do In My Tur...goto Post Blood Bowl 2024 Edit...goto Post Why did GW nerf guar...
SearchSearch 
View previous topic Log in to check your private messages View next topic
OenarLod

Post   Posted: Jan 11, 2014 - 16:14 Reply with quote Back to top

spubbbba wrote:
backelie wrote:
Did anyone put forth any good arguments against introducing an optional matchmaker in ranked? (If so I must have missed them. I did read the whole thing through, though admittedly skimming some of the longest posts.)

It would kill off Blackbox even quicker if it did happen.

Allow B teams to migrate to R and that's it.
Oops wait, that would mean merge the two divisions right?
Aaaaaargh..... Smile

Post   Posted: Jan 11, 2014 - 16:21 Reply with quote Back to top

I've an even better idea koadah, though it's one which has zero chance of happening (ok, maybe not zero, but close enough)...

Remove all information other than race and build.

Yep, no team name, no coach name, no team W/L record.

Then just use the black list to knock out the coaches who you refuse to play because they are jerks/whatever.

So sure, a picker could black list every legend and superstar if they wanted I guess, but that seems like a ton of effort, then again, they just might do it. Maybe limit the number of people on the black list to 10 or 20, while there are a lot of jerks around, maybe there's not that many who actively play R?

It's too restrictive in what R is suppose to be though I guess, but it would go a ways to making more non-coach/CR picked games happen.

You can still give the rookies/experienced all the info if you want.
Garion

Post   Posted: Jan 11, 2014 - 16:31 Reply with quote Back to top

Purplegoo wrote:
> 15 pages.

And, nope.

lol quoted from page 1 Very Happy

Post   Posted: Jan 11, 2014 - 16:36 Reply with quote Back to top

licker wrote:

Remove all information other than race and build.

Yep, no team name, no coach name, no team W/L record.

I was just about to suggest the same thing. Smile

Post   Posted: Jan 11, 2014 - 16:46 Reply with quote Back to top

Let's be realistic for a second....

No matter if you change or alltogether remove CR, no matter if you merge or split existing divisions, no matter if you introduce houserules, no matter what you do really....

People are gonna find new ways to behave like total douchebags and spoil other people's fun, simply because this is an online gaming environment, and that is and will always be what people do.

Post   Posted: Jan 11, 2014 - 16:59 Reply with quote Back to top

spubbbba wrote:
backelie wrote:
Did anyone put forth any good arguments against introducing an optional matchmaker in ranked? (If so I must have missed them. I did read the whole thing through, though admittedly skimming some of the longest posts.)

It would kill off Blackbox even quicker if it did happen.

Many people seem to think that the split in the community is because the box population want to play one way and ranked want to play in another. Introducing a matchmaker in ranked would test if it's what people actually WANT thats different, or if the different playstyles are just a consequence of the circumstances.

If blackbox offers something meaningfully different to a significant subset of coaches it wouldnt die. If it doesnt, then un-splitting the community is a good thing.
backelie

Post   Posted: Jan 11, 2014 - 17:05 Reply with quote Back to top

Cloggy wrote:
Let's be realistic for a second....

No matter if you change or alltogether remove CR, no matter if you merge or split existing divisions, no matter if you introduce houserules, no matter what you do really....

People are gonna find new ways to behave like total douchebags and spoil other people's fun, simply because this is an online gaming environment, and that is and will always be what people do.

That is all true, but it is also absolutely no reason to not address specific concrete issues that you think could be improved.

A lot of people dont play box because they prefer less bash (this is evident from the racial distribution in box), if they had the possibility to mix matchmaker with non-matchmaker games then you have a much less unforgiving environment with room for occasional soft games. This gives 1) Ranked teams access to the ease of getting games that an automatic MM gives. 2) More coaches and more races into the matchmaker.

Everyone benefits, unless you really really only want to play bash vs bash matchups always.
licker

Post   Posted: Jan 11, 2014 - 19:03 Reply with quote Back to top

Well ideally one would get more more tournaments. That doesn't seem to work out though.

Tournaments are really the true measure of ability for a team.

I wonder if there were a T division where scheduling was done by simply activating the team and it then being entered into a 'random' tournament would have any legs. I get that some people have tried to do something like this in L.
JackassRampant

Post   Posted: Jan 11, 2014 - 19:12 Reply with quote Back to top

Hmmm… A "Rankedbox" mini-tourney series would be fun. Daily 1-round [R] tourneys with a 48-hour window, using [B] scheduler formulae. Maybe a 3-round job, using the scheduler just for the first round, once a month, only for teams that have won one or more daily Rankedbox games that month.

Post   Posted: Jan 11, 2014 - 19:21 Reply with quote Back to top

JackassRampant wrote:
Hmmm… A "Rankedbox" mini-tourney series would be fun. Daily 1-round [R] tourneys with a 48-hour window, using [b] scheduler formulae. Maybe a 3-round job, using the scheduler just for the first round, once a month, only for teams that have won one or more daily Rankedbox games that month.

You mean like what that handsome fellow on page 3 suggested?

Mr_Foulscumm wrote:
As for Match Making options for Ranked, the only thing I would like to have is a "Join SMACK now!" button for instant Smacks. Smile

Post   Posted: Jan 11, 2014 - 20:19 Reply with quote Back to top

Yes, with the current [B] matchmaking formula.

Post   Posted: Jan 11, 2014 - 20:22 Reply with quote Back to top

Mr_Foulscumm wrote:
JackassRampant wrote:
Hmmm… A "Rankedbox" mini-tourney series would be fun. Daily 1-round [R] tourneys with a 48-hour window, using [b] scheduler formulae. Maybe a 3-round job, using the scheduler just for the first round, once a month, only for teams that have won one or more daily Rankedbox games that month.

You mean like what that handsome fellow on page 3 suggested?

Mr_Foulscumm wrote:
As for Match Making options for Ranked, the only thing I would like to have is a "Join SMACK now!" button for instant Smacks. Smile

This reminds me of tourney poker tables vs. open tables. Good idea, might be able to get more games.
spubbbba

Post   Posted: Jan 11, 2014 - 20:55 Reply with quote Back to top

backelie wrote:

Many people seem to think that the split in the community is because the box population want to play one way and ranked want to play in another. Introducing a matchmaker in ranked would test if it's what people actually WANT thats different, or if the different playstyles are just a consequence of the circumstances.

If blackbox offers something meaningfully different to a significant subset of coaches it wouldnt die. If it doesnt, then un-splitting the community is a good thing.

Blackbox died under lrb4, it got a hefty boost by getting the new client but has dropped steadily since. The danger is that once you get down to a low enough number of coaches looking for a game a certain times then they will give up on it.

So if that drop continues then it could well die off again.

Post   Posted: Jan 11, 2014 - 22:23 Reply with quote Back to top

Well, Box is essentially dead during NA nights. Not sure if it was ever really alive during those hours in the first place though.

R is pretty dead too though.
Synn

Post   Posted: Jan 11, 2014 - 22:31 Reply with quote Back to top

licker wrote:
Well, Box is essentially dead during NA nights. Not sure if it was ever really alive during those hours in the first place though.

R is pretty dead too though.

This is something I wish Christer would look at. How many games take place in the NA evening time.

__Synn
 Jump to: