34 coaches online • Server time: 11:41
Forum Chat
Recent Forum Topics goto Post TSC Draftgoto Post 4,000TV!goto Post IBA Draft League
SearchSearch 
View previous topic Log in to check your private messages View next topic
RobRoyDuncan

Post   Posted: Jul 15, 2013 - 16:24 Reply with quote Back to top

Essen Exsanguinators vs St. Luna Cardiac Cardinals, tonight (Monday) at around 9 pm!
licker

Post   Posted: Jul 15, 2013 - 16:36 Reply with quote Back to top

GOGO CAS DICE!!!
RobRoyDuncan

Post   Posted: Jul 16, 2013 - 19:43 Reply with quote Back to top

Playoffs!

St. Luna Cardiac Cardinals 2 - Essen Exsanguinators 0

Essen managed to steal the ball after a failed turn 1 pickup, but St. Luna's induced chainsaw sprang it free again. On the next Essen turn, a vamp failed Blood Lust through Pro and then Skulled a block, resulting in him leaving the field. More than half of the Exsanguinators left the field by the end of their third turn, and St. Luna took an easy turn 8 score. Good KO rolls gave Essen their team back for the second half, but a Rock made that temporary. Failed Blood Lust cost the Exsanguinators their first scoring chance, and an interception their second. A successful 1d blitz got the ball back, though, and a misclick by the Cardinals' coach left the ball in the hands of the Exsanguinators. Failed Blood Lust again punished them, preventing their ball-carrier from making a run for it. More failed rolls ensued for Essen, and St. Luna took the game.

Cleveland Men 1 - Colorado Centaurs 0

The two sides traded blocks in the early going. Colorado finally made some progress, but could not spare men for a full cage, and their ball-carrier was taken down on turn 6, with the ball bouncing to a Man. Colorado recovered, but could not quite make it to the end zone. Their ball-carrier was downed again, and the Centaurs were unable to pick the ball up on turn 8. The Men inflicted a couple early CAS in the second half, screening and moving the ball up, and while two Centaurs marked the ball-carrier for turn 8, Cleveland was able to chain-push their ball-carrier across the goal line to win the game.

Cleveland's win means that St. Luna will take on the Surrey Serpents, while Cleveland will have to face the White Rock Midnight with no Tackle, having lost both their Tacklers over the last two games.
RobRoyDuncan

Post   Posted: Jul 17, 2013 - 16:28 Reply with quote Back to top

Mackville, WI Pro Bowlers 3 - Lonely Mountain Miners 2

Pouring Rain caused some immediate problems for the Pro Bowlers, with a pass ending up in the hands of the wrong elf. A 1d blitz from Lonely Mountain was rerolled into a Skull, though, and with several Miners still unmoved on the turn, Mackville had an easy score the next turn. A pair of Skulled blocks on Lonely Mountain's drive let Mackville steal the ball, but they were already out of rerolls, and failed dodges on their next two turns allowed the Miners to recover the ball and get it downfield. The Miners scored on turn 7 due to the fear of a lightning bolt, and a Blitz rewarded them for it. A Pro Bowler was CAS'd on the Blitz turn and another on turn 8, and the extra KO rolls came up empty. Mackville had only six players to line up for the second half, and that was quickly reduced to five. Lonely Mountain failed a pickup on the sidelines, though, and the ball bounced away from all of the Miners. Mackville grabbed it with a Dump-Off catcher, and the emergency pass came home for a score. Good KO rolls put Mackville back up to seven players. Lonely Mountain was able to pick the ball up this time, running it up inside a loose cage. Mackville finally fired off their wizard, but he went 1-for-3 to no real effect, and Lonely Mountain evened the game up to force overtime.

Mackville won the coin flip, but were outnumbered two to one. Lonely Mountain got their third Blitz of the game to start OT. Mackville was able to dodge away and grab the ball, but their intended pass target was too far downfield. The Miners were able to grab the ball away, but their ball-carrier was left exposed. Mackville used their last reroll to Wrestle him down, and sent their thrower in to roll lots of dice. He succeeded in dodge/dodge/dodge/dodge/pickup/GFI/GFI/dodge/pass (finally rolling a 1 there, which was rerolled with Pass), and the downfield catcher caught the ball for the score and the win.

Mackville advances, but took massive casualties in the process. They suffered three RIPs - a Guard lino, a Dodge catcher, and a Kick lino - as well as an MNG on an already-hurt blitzer. Their next game may be very messy, but at least they will be playing against the Shard Warriors - who have no Tackle - instead of the Smurfs.

Last edited by RobRoyDuncan on %b %17, %2013 - %16:%Jul; edited 1 time in total
Bullroarer4

Post   Posted: Jul 17, 2013 - 16:36 Reply with quote Back to top

The turn 7 score was due to the pouring rain and my real fear of a lightning bolt. The magical elf play in overtime was "shocking". Someone better at math than I could give us the odds of that play succeeding.

Post   Posted: Jul 17, 2013 - 16:37 Reply with quote Back to top

Congratulation to my worthy opponent for playing an outstanding game.

Post   Posted: Jul 17, 2013 - 16:43 Reply with quote Back to top

Bullroarer4 wrote:
The turn 7 score was due to the pouring rain and my real fear of a lightning bolt. The magical elf play in overtime was "shocking". Someone better at math than I could give us the odds of that play succeeding.

Ahh, I'd forgotten the wizard. BRB, revising history.

Also: a touch under 10%. I may have already done the math.
licker

Post   Posted: Jul 17, 2013 - 17:32 Reply with quote Back to top

I watched that game,well almost all of it, and I'll add a couple comments Smile

The miners seemed to have in mind that they could just roll over the hapless elves with the massive amount of MB/Tackle the dwarves had at their disposal, however, that mindset could have also created situations where the dwarves felt more comfortable about the position than they should have.

The excellent positioning BR4 used though out the regular season seemed to go AWOL at various times during this matchup, leaving the elves with more chances than they should have had.

In particular 3 turns stood out to me. The turn 1 opportunity to get a 1d on the ball was complicated by the fact that 3 or 4 dwarves on the bottom of the pitch were left standing watching while a push got rred into a skull. Granted, even moving them probably doesn't prevent the score, but it might have been indicative of either the nerves of playing in the post season, or of the over reliance on how effective block/tackle/mb was going to be.

The 2nd turn was the failed pickup at the start of the 2nd half. The dwarves were up 11-6 (or 5?) on the elves, and had no reason not to leave someone in the middle just incase the pick up failed and the throw in went there. I think the fear of the wizard may have been partially to blame here, but to me, there was ample opportunity to leave a couple dwarves off of the line and back to simply give more options should the dice not comply. Again, I can't help but wonder if the Miners were drooling over a chance to clear the pitch, and so simply over marked the undermaned elves. Problem being of course that when elves don't roll 1s, they can instantly change the position, and plodding dwarves will be very hard pressed to recover. This was even worse as jeffro demonstrated just why pro-elf catchers take dump off on a doubles.

The 3rd was the final blitz, in overtime. This was a blatant over commit, sell out, rush the line and damn the consequences. Imagine that the kick had gone out of bounds (as it was luck was with the dwarves on that), now the lower catcher gets the ball and is 3+/3+/2+ (with rr, and then dodge) to scamper down field with not a single dwarf who could have caught him. Granted, with the good bounce, and jeffro for some reason moving that catcher too far down field, the dwarves then had their chance to use their man advantage to get the ball and win the game. That elven crazyness ensued is sort of beside the point that over committing dwarves to anything, especially when the numbers are on your side (dwarves were +3 or +4 at that point) is just begging nuffle to punish you by giving the other guy a string of 3s to 6s.

In short I have to imagine this was a game Lonely Mountain must have felt they should have won, but I also think their (perhaps) over confidence in the power of their player removal caused them to ignore at times the sound positional play that dwarven sides must adhere to at all times. I watched a game which I felt the dwarves should have dominated based off of their CAS dice alone, yet they gave up positions to the elves too many times, and eventually the elves got elf dice (which to be honest, they weren't getting for much of the 1st half, else it could have been 2-1 or 2-0 at half time instead of 1-1) and lucked out a crazy win.

All of that with respect for bullroarer, I've played against/specced jeffro so many times I know how he works, and I saw a game where the dwarves kind of played into his hands, even though it took a minor miracle for the elves to actually win it. That is, my comments are not meant to be taken as slights against you, hopefully they are constructive Smile
cyric612

Post   Posted: Jul 17, 2013 - 17:57 Reply with quote Back to top

No one tell the dodgy elves that the werewolves are hiding tackle in their skill sets! Still no where near as much tackle as the smurfs
Jeffro

Post   Posted: Jul 17, 2013 - 18:29 Reply with quote Back to top

We sawr the wolves tackle hiding behing their frenzy... but we'd be fools to say we're not happier with this matchup. Not that we think we'll dominate... but rather I fear a game vs the Smurfs might be the loose string that unravels our bowling ball bag and dumps our shit on the soda soaked carpet.

Lookin forward to more fun times! Smile
Sutherlands

Post   Posted: Jul 17, 2013 - 21:09 Reply with quote Back to top

I'm not sure how I feel about the way the matchups went. But my ST6 mino will be looking to get some CDorf blood.
Jeffro

Post   Posted: Jul 17, 2013 - 21:37 Reply with quote Back to top

Remember back in 2nd Edition when Minos killed a player and they stayed on the pitch EATING THE CORPSE until a TD was scored..?!? We gotta bring that rule back Wink
cyric612

Post   Posted: Jul 17, 2013 - 21:53 Reply with quote Back to top

heh I always liked that rule I think Rat Ogres "suffered" it too
RobRoyDuncan

Post   Posted: Jul 20, 2013 - 16:10 Reply with quote Back to top

The first round 2 playoff game is done!

White Rock Midnight 2 - Cleveland Men 1

A deep kick gave Cleveland some needed space when their first pickup failed. They caged up, but were stuck deep in their own territory. White Rock used their AG5 blitzer to Leap in for a 2d, but could not spring the ball. The Men surfed him in response, but had still not made progress, and ended turn 6 with nobody over the line of scrimmage, and multiple Midnight in contact with them. The Cleveland ball-carrier was pushed to the outside of the formation, and a 2d block took him down for an RIP. White Rock grabbed the ball and started a run, but Cleveland called for a fireball, going 3-for-3. They surrounded the ball and sent their catcher deep, but failed the pickup. White Rock got the ball free and clear, and managed to CAS Cleveland's catcher before scoring.

A Pitch Invasion slowed down White Rock's second-half drive, but they still collected the ball. A quick reverse and their AG5 Leaper got the ball most of the way to the end zone, and a snaked GFI on the return blitz gave the Midnight 2-0. Cleveland finally started causing some damage on their final drive, inflicting some CAS on the way to a score, but they did not move fast enough to have a chance of evening the game.

White Rock advances to the AWC Championship game short a Wrestle/Guard lino, but otherwise in good shape, with all stat freaks present and accounted for. No word yet on whether they will be facing Surrey or St. Luna for that game.
licker

Post   Posted: Jul 20, 2013 - 17:00 Reply with quote Back to top

What really should be noted from the game was Clevelands dedication to cheating. They put the boot in 8 times over the course of the game, and with a bribe in hand it was a good game plan.

Fortunately for White Rock, Cleveland borrowed the bowling shoes from Mackville, and couldn't get any traction on their kicks, resulting in a mere 2 armor breaks throughout the proceedings. The ref, bless his heart, was too busy laughing at the sissy kicking to send anyone off. Late in the 2nd half he realized that Cleveland had actually set aside a purse for him, so he did blow his whistle on them eventually to collect his filthy lucre.

In the process the White Rock player was so stunned by the noise that she twisted her ankle getting up and had to leave the pitch for the rest of the match.

In other words, wintergreen had a solid game plan, White Rock was only bringing 11 healthy players to the game, so try to reduce the numbers and win that way since it didn't look promising to try and out ball the ag5 monsters. Unfortunately, that game plan didn't work out as the armor and CAS dice (Miguel got surfed 2x in the game!) refused to cooperate until so late that it really didn't matter any longer.
 Jump to: