52 coaches online • Server time: 18:35
Forum Chat
Recent Forum Topics goto Post Making Assassins mor...goto Post ramchop takes on the...goto Post NAF Charity Tourney ...
SearchSearch 
View previous topic Log in to check your private messages View next topic
Poll
Delaying TDs, good strategy or cheesy exploit?
good strategy
73%
 73%  [ 648 ]
cheesy exploit
26%
 26%  [ 238 ]
Total Votes : 886

Jared

Post   Posted: Oct 16, 2003 - 14:37 Reply with quote Back to top

um the case i talked about was table top when 'holds up hand in shame' i did it, i had put 8 of the chaos team in the dug out and with 3 beast men on the pitch i wasnt worried about a counter offensive,

that was the one time i did an outragous stall and it was wrong,

As for learning to defend against stalls, as i had in my game where i did that, there simply wernt enough players on the pitch to stop me from stalling

XXXtreme ball with added XX
poodle-man

Post   Posted: Nov 17, 2003 - 07:14 Reply with quote Back to top

Stall away i rekon. As has been pointed out, you will need a handful of players to protect the ball, so hopefully that leaves the stallee with a numerical advantage on the rest of the pitch which he can use to apply the big boot of retribution to the rest of the team. Meaningless fouling? If it makes the opposition score quicker so i can get the ball back, Bring out the boot!! Although really, if dwarves or orcs can march their players en masse up to your td zone with enough turns left for stalling to become irratating you need to work on your defence anyway...

Post   Posted: Nov 17, 2003 - 07:35 Reply with quote Back to top

This topic belongs with the fouling topic. Discussed to Death.

Post   Posted: Nov 17, 2003 - 08:44 Reply with quote Back to top

Stalling, me? Depends on the situation. If I'm playing a tournament or a faction game, and need to win. Yeah, I'll stall. What about the one time I was playing my dwarves against someones DE I think. The oppo wins the kickoff, scores and then fields only 3 players for defence (leaving about 7 into the reserves box), and says "I can't defend against your team" and fleed with all his players and didn't even try to prevent me from scoring. Then he got mad because I didn't score in 2 turns. Which would have left him with a good opportunity to score once more in the first half. If someone is not even trying to prevent me from scoring, and just wants to have easy TD's for both team, I'm stalling. That game was just one hour of my time wasted. If I blocked one of his guys, he started whining. I guess he just wanted both of us to score 3-4 td's, and not even try to play the game. I started thinkin if I should have fouled his 3 guys off the pitch, because he didn't want to play...
cataphract

Post   Posted: Nov 17, 2003 - 08:56 Reply with quote Back to top

it honestly depends on your game view. If you want to win, stall. If you want you and your oponent to have an exciting, enjoyable game, don't...

Post   Posted: Nov 17, 2003 - 09:42 Reply with quote Back to top

Aren't we foretting the other reason to stall, if my opponents RSC, Piling on minotaur is off the pitch KO'd, the last thing i need is him coming back onto the pitch and destroying my team, by delaying i can keep my team alive longer, as Grumbledook rightly pointed out you should not let an opponent have the chance to stall, and if he does by some good luck, don't complain about it, learn from your mistakes and play better next time
DoubleSkulls

Post   Posted: Nov 17, 2003 - 12:28 Reply with quote Back to top

I had an interesting game against Cowards from Hell II.

At 1-1 in the 2nd half I'd reduced him down to 5 players on the pitch and was trying to score. With his War Dancer KO'd it ought to have been quite easy - but he just kept doing enough to stop me scoring. On top of which I couldn't pick up the ball or dodge or anything. Even so he kept on banging away when letting me score may have worked to his advantage.

So from about turn 3 onwards I was trying my best to score, but couldn't. Eventually I had a chance to score in my turn 7 - so stalled for a turn to prevent an equaliser.

So I guess my point is that I have enough confidence in my ability to win games that - with enough time left - I'll go for the score. The odd turn of tactical stalling is good legitimate play.
JadeKnight

Post   Posted: Dec 16, 2003 - 09:55 Reply with quote Back to top

Actually, I've found a wonderful way to fix this problem:

Scare the Dwarves that you'll beat them up.

I play a High Elf team, the Lothern Sea Drakes, that besides being famous for low Fan Factor, they're also a brutally smash-em-up Elf team.

I've played my share against Dwarves, Orcs, etc., and I've still caused more CAS's than I've received, and it isn't because I roll well on the Injury rolls (trust me, I don't at all).

I just know how to team up my Elves to beat down my opponent, and jump away when I can't (Elves are good at that), and use every possible opportunity when I'm not going to score to bash people's heads in. Really, if used well, an Elvish team can make a decent (though never excellent, I don't think) "basher" team. That'll keep them sneaky Dwarfs on their toes.

Besides, it's fun. =]
Aequitas

Post   Posted: Dec 16, 2003 - 10:04 Reply with quote Back to top

Stalling is a perfectly good tactic. Just like making one-turners. One method is to score instantly, another is to delay as long as possible. Why is one extreme so much worse then the other? So your opponent can't prevent you from stalling, boo hoo. At no point are you required to score a touchdown. I play to win, and since I don't often use elves, I often rely on winning games 2-1, 1-0, 3-2, etc. Unless I maim the other team and win 2-0, or 3-0. Something like that.

I don't LIKE it when my opponent stalls, just like I don't like my opponent zipping by with 1 turners, but I UNDERSTAND it and respect it. Just like I don't like CLAW/RSC things, but they're valid and there to be used. Whining about it won't make it go away. Unless you're at Talkbloodbowl or something. Enough whining and it might just get changed (like Piling On).

Post   Posted: Dec 16, 2003 - 10:59 Reply with quote Back to top

So FINALY: STALLING IS GOOD STRATEGY Mr. Green
quota

Post   Posted: Dec 16, 2003 - 11:02 Reply with quote Back to top

Kryten wrote:
Now, if my opponents have a problem with me stalling, they are free to try to stop me.

That for me is the whole point. I see quite often in games that people don't go for the ball carrier cause he will score next turn anyway (well, i'm guessing that's why).

If you ignore the ball, that's your own call. Personally I laugh my ass off when someone is stalling and the opponent makes some dashing move with insane dodges or two dice blocks against, and the pulls it off and gets the ball.

Post   Posted: Dec 16, 2003 - 12:04 Reply with quote Back to top

Goblinux wrote:
So FINALY: STALLING IS GOOD STRATEGY Mr. Green

It's not a *good* strategy.
It's a strategy and like every other has counter measures (menacing of hitting/fouling star players, for instance... Wink )

marco

Post   Posted: Apr 10, 2004 - 22:48 Reply with quote Back to top

it's called "running out the clock" and NFL teams do it all the time
Dooby

Post 8 Posted: Apr 10, 2004 - 23:08 Reply with quote Back to top

Blood Bowl is a game of fun. People who are so desperate to win that they sit an entire half with ball by the end zone are arseholes. Why do they do this – were they not very athletic at school and got bullied by bigger boys? Do they think that a 2-1 win and increase in FF is better than a glorious kick-off blitz one turner for a 3-1? NO! I never delay in stunty, its just bad manners. Blood Bowl is not really about winning – look at the top guys, they are all niggled to death in sub standard teams. I’ve never played the top guys – only the ones in stunty – Don’t get me started on Clementus Wink but I doubt they employ this banal puerile tactic.
Wichtel

Post   Posted: Apr 10, 2004 - 23:45 Reply with quote Back to top

I totally agree with Dooby!
What is more important, winning or having fun???? This is not a competition where you can earn something! You can only have fun, nothing more. If you think stalling 6 turns is fun, you really should quit playing fumbbl imho!

Stalling might be a good strategy in tournament and leagues, but it is just BORING in open games.
Well, if you answered my question with "winning", play...but not against me....
 Jump to: