44 coaches online • Server time: 23:42
Forum Chat
Recent Forum Topics goto Post Finishing the 60 Gam...goto Post GIF Guidegoto Post TSC Draft
SearchSearch 
View previous topic Log in to check your private messages View next topic
Beater

Post   Posted: Apr 08, 2004 - 21:39 Reply with quote Back to top

I sure would prefer a universe were someone could prove he's pursued by bad luck. Would indicate some kind of deity pulling our strings and it would bring some meaning to our fumbbling existence.
Tinkywinky

Post   Posted: Apr 20, 2004 - 22:37 Reply with quote Back to top

I don't know why but i have a feeling that there is a whole bunch of people here that really likes Douglas Adams. Smile

Post   Posted: Apr 20, 2004 - 22:58 Reply with quote Back to top

Hi all I think that the pont of view of the thread is that many people are complaing abiut their luck in general channel instad of talking about strategies, new releses etc... The only thing i see to stop this is stablishing another channel for the discussion of the luck in the games. or dedicating an special day to talk about this in general. i think people is free o expresing them selves as they want. and obviusly this wont help the freedom of speech, but it will help to keep the channel more relaxed.

I like the channel as it is. and ofcourse i'll like some waffles.

see ya
Doowa

Post   Posted: Apr 20, 2004 - 23:07 Reply with quote Back to top

Waffles? I like waffles. Well sometimes I prefer pancakes, but then at other times I would rather just have a cookie. But waffles are good. Damn, I'm really random. Don't think I could be more random... well unless I was female ofcourse. Wow, I'm like a random wandering monsters table... scary Razz

Post   Posted: Apr 20, 2004 - 23:18 Reply with quote Back to top

There should be a stat and the end of the game (and on each coaches homepage) showing their average die roll. Then you all would understand (and everyone would want to play me no matter how much I foul!!!)

I don't think the client is against me or anything rediculous like that, but I do have shite for luck when it comes to games...

Did I tell anyone about the time I rolled ten dice that added up to 19? or the time my halflings started 4 straight turns by failing dodges... or the time my khemri team rolled triple skulls for three straight blocks? I guess I should stop before this gets to far off topic.

Post   Posted: Apr 20, 2004 - 23:25 Reply with quote Back to top

Some peoples' idea of random is decidedly UNrandom. Either they want 1's to be extremely rare, or they want the numbers evenly distributed over the course of every game they play. Interestingly enough this idea works in exact contradiction to the meaning of random to begin with.

I once saw a roulette whell spin 10 blacks in a row...strictly speaking the chances of that happening are 1 / 2^10. Was the wheel random? The Nevada Gaming Commission says so.
Severian

Post   Posted: Apr 20, 2004 - 23:51 Reply with quote Back to top

Wait, better yet. The people who think the dice are random only if the rolls go their way...otherwise there's an "unfair number of 1's"
Perox

Post   Posted: May 18, 2004 - 15:07 Reply with quote Back to top

thmbscrws wrote:
Perox wrote:
I did hear nobody talk about Nuffl.

Embarassed <i>Shame on you all.</i> Embarassed

Every respected coach knoweth there is no such thing as a random dice roll:
The dice are just the Holy Symbols of our Sweet Lady of Bloodbowl.

Newbies have to be made aware of her (omni-)presence. I say put Nuffl in the FAQ. Cool

You are confused and flirting dangerously with heresy my friend. While eveyone knows luck is a lady, ie. lady luck, Nuffle is most definatley male. The worship of Nuffle was started by dwarves and orks, nuff said. Wink

Got proof? Question Question Question
Thought so.

Nuffl is a Lady. Only women can switch from inflicting so much pain to bringing so much joy (or vice versa alas...) in a mere instant...Mr. Green

Nuffl said.
Perox.
MixX

Post   Posted: May 18, 2004 - 15:17 Reply with quote Back to top

Perox wrote:
...Only women can switch from inflicting so much pain to bringing so much joy (or vice versa alas...) in a mere instant...

amen to that
thmbscrws

Post   Posted: May 18, 2004 - 16:09 Reply with quote Back to top

MixX wrote:
Perox wrote:
...Only women can switch from inflicting so much pain to bringing so much joy (or vice versa alas...) in a mere instant...

amen to that

This is also true of chainsaws, so much pleasure until the handle gets slippery with blood.
Unxerxes

Post   Posted: May 18, 2004 - 16:36 Reply with quote Back to top

Well, I'm Belgian and I really dislike waffles... If you wanna eat some good belgian stuff, try our Chocolate (hmmmmmmmmmm, chocolate... Aztecs and those guys might have had human sacrifices but the fact they invented chocolate excuses them from any transgressions imo) or our Fries for which the French are credited for some stupid reason (ours are way better then the french's (well almost exactly the same, but we had em first Smile )
Enough patriotism and back to the discussion at hand: the Dice in jbbl aren't random seeing as they are based generated by a computer which has to base itself on a (I suppose rather complex) algorithm or something to be as random as possible but then again, as pointed out before, no real life die is truly random too 'cause a truly random die would be a perfect die and seeing as humans are imperfect, anything we make is imperfect by defenition. But they are both random enough so it's kinda a moot point and complaining about it won't help anyone... so curse nuffle if it goes bad, praise nuffle if it goes your way and shut up in any other case (not that I can think of another possibility)

Post   Posted: May 18, 2004 - 18:12 Reply with quote Back to top

Just to throw some more flaming torches around Smile

The numbers are not random, only pseudorandom. The client uses the Java random class, and the function next(int) to make the acctual dicerolls. This function actually discards values that would make the distribution to uneven. For people interested a short description of how it works are given in the Java API which I linked to.

Of course this is just hair-splitting and the numbers they produce are more than random enough for our use.
freak_in_a_frock

Post   Posted: May 18, 2004 - 18:35 Reply with quote Back to top

i have found that making sure you don't host a game really helps, this means someones elses computer can decide my fate, i do this as my computer hates me, and will do the best it can to make my life a misery, if that involves rolling a 1 when i least want it, so be it. I reckon if it had to start a small nuclear war to upset me it would find a way, in fact sometimes even when i am 'grumbledook likes stalking boy bands' typing i swear it tries to slip comments in just to cause even more misery upon myself,

maybe i am just being paranoid though

disclaimer...... the above comments are not in any way related to the sanity of the person who just so happens to have been near the keyboard when the computer was on.
MrMojo

Post   Posted: May 18, 2004 - 19:52 Reply with quote Back to top

I was under the impression that true randomness within a computer program is a very difficult thing to achieve. And I must agree with Ewnam, that the numbers in JavaBB are only pseudorandom, but random enough for our purposes.
Wichtel

Post   Posted: May 18, 2004 - 20:10 Reply with quote Back to top

pseudorandom...random, there is not a real difference. Random numbers are often generated with the internal clock of the PC...well, that thing changes quite fast....ergo => RANDOM
Everything else is really hair-splitting, indeed.

Even the roulette isn't random, cause it's started always on a different position...so it's same like in the PC Smile
 Jump to: