25 coaches online • Server time: 08:29
Forum Chat
Recent Forum Topics goto Post Designer's Comm...goto Post FUMBBL HAIKU'Sgoto Post It's almost tim...
SearchSearch 
View previous topic Log in to check your private messages View next topic
Poll
What next? G, S, or P only.
Guard
4%
 4%  [ 2 ]
Tackle
9%
 9%  [ 4 ]
Fend
9%
 9%  [ 4 ]
Kickoff Return
13%
 13%  [ 6 ]
Kick
2%
 2%  [ 1 ]
Pass
40%
 40%  [ 18 ]
Accurate
4%
 4%  [ 2 ]
NoS or HMP for a gimmick (post)
4%
 4%  [ 2 ]
Other gimmick (post)
4%
 4%  [ 2 ]
Other non-gimmick (post)
6%
 6%  [ 3 ]
Total Votes : 44

gamelsetlmatch

Post   Posted: Apr 09, 2013 - 18:48 Reply with quote Back to top

There are some good skills to have on your team and then there are some good skills to have on a player. Since he is going to play both ways, Guard seems like the most reasonable skill. Originally I thought KoR but you are right, it is too situational.

Btw, he doesnt have to be in the middle of the scrum to be able to help the team get the blocks going the way they need to.

Bonus, he can always hand off to a player who needs a skill when in scoring range and provide the guard that way.

Rabe

Post   Posted: Apr 09, 2013 - 18:57 Reply with quote Back to top

Actually, I like Fend. If he doesn't get Dodge, it helps him to stay free from TZs as a ball carrier and in general. Also increases his survivability against PO of course - and I expect him to be a primary target.

Post   Posted: Apr 09, 2013 - 19:02 Reply with quote Back to top

I'm not opposed to fend either, though you have to tell us how many times he actually gets hit Wink

Fend really shines when you can couple it to SS, but this guy isn't likely to get SS...

If you want to make him harder to hurt take fend. If you want to make him another blitzer type take tackle or SB, if you want to make him your scoring threat take two heads (well... you know...), if you want to hope for a double take Leader.
JackassRampant

Post   Posted: Apr 09, 2013 - 19:08 Reply with quote Back to top

I would only take Big Hand if I had a good use for him in scrums. I do scrum a lot (I make about 3/4 extra block per turn for my style, about 60/game with these guys, 70 for Orcs or Dorfs, 40 for HE), that's why I considered Guard-Big Hand or Nerves-Big Hand (or HMP-Big Hand, though I admit it's goofy). But if I give him Leader (and I'm starting to see it your way there), Two Heads at Super-Star, and either Foul Appearance or Big Hand if he makes it to Legend.

Mighty Blow was never in the running. I have "enough" (esp when I re-hire my big guys), and while I don't think "too much" is possible, I don't want to be droppin' pops with him just to do damage. Guard/AG4 is very nice, and if I'm trying to skill a guy he often plays an interior cager role (plus Guard on a carrier isn't terrible, as it makes it easier to block guys off of him or to protect the ball in a scrum), so I am still thinking about it. It doesn't hurt that, like MB, you can't actually have too much, and unlike MB, it doesn't tempt me to do dumb things with my best baller. Mobile Tackle is nice, and if he makes it to Two Heads it would give some teams fits.

So, leaning to Leader, haven't dismissed Guard or Tackle.

Post   Posted: Apr 09, 2013 - 19:24 Reply with quote Back to top

Somehow I missed page 3 when making that post.

GSM: you beat me to it!

Rabe: Fend should be there with Guard and ahead of Tackle. He does take a lot of hits, 'cause I get cocky with a lead and man-up.

Licker: My bugaboo is that I start toying with my opponent once I take control. I hate a boring game more than I hate losing in Ranked, I guess (in league play, I'm an insufferable savage who takes no chances). Last night I just walloped this Norse team and kept giving him crazy rolls for 1d/half-d Frenzy blitzes on the ball with his best guy, just to see what kind of man he was: he didn't disappoint, and it was hilarious, though he got some blocks on my boy and powed him a couple times. Hey, somebody was getting hit, and at least this guy has Block. I wouldn't have done it if I'd thought he could have done anything with the ball, or if I didn't already have a lead.

Frankly, though, I just wouldn't have exposed him if he had another skill. As a 4-skill player, he's just too valuable to play silly games with. If I'm just worried about carrying, I can shrug and hire an elf, or build an AG3 carrier type and give him Extra Arms at 76. But if it's another Guard, or if it's my Leader, no, he's not taking gratuitous hits. And if it's Fend or Guard, I'm putting him in places to get hit.

Hmmm... Leaning harder to Leader.

Post   Posted: Apr 09, 2013 - 19:40 Reply with quote Back to top

Wow this threads gone on almost as long as one of your match turns JR Razz

You really seem to struggle with decisions...

Post   Posted: Apr 09, 2013 - 19:47 Reply with quote Back to top

At least I got it down to Leader or Guard. Also, got a handle on my 76 SPP skill: Big Hand is out, Two Heads is likely, Foul Appearance is tempting after Guard. But it's looking Leader-Two Heads, Guard-Two Heads, or stat/Dodge-Two Heads if that's what I roll.

So, Leader or Guard?

I'm thinking my ultimate balance will be 11 Marauders, an Ogre, and a Troll.

Ogre/Troll: G-SF-PO-cut;
Ogre/Troll doubles: B-G-Grab-Multiblock-SF (plus SF earlier or PO if doubles is #3 or #4).

Marauders: 2x killer, 4x cog, 1x baller, 1x sacker, 1x killer/cog, 1x baller/cog, 1x killer/hunter.
2x Killer: G/MB/T/PO/Claw (one is close to PO, two candidates moving along)
4x Cog: B/G/MB/Fend/whatever's clever (one is close to Fend, two have Guard)
1x Baller: +AG/B/SH/???/2H (player in question)
1x Sacker: W/T/Strip/Kick/???
1x Killer/Cog: B/MB/T/G/2H (two candidates moving along)
1x Baller/Cog: to be developed as opportunity arises. Prolly starts with Block....
1x Killer/Hunter: W/Frenzy/MB/T/Claw (watch this space)

Last edited by JackassRampant on %b %09, %2013 - %20:%Apr; edited 1 time in total
the_Sage

Post   Posted: Apr 09, 2013 - 19:55 Reply with quote Back to top

JackassRampant wrote:

As a 4-skill player, he's just too valuable to play silly games with. If I'm just worried about carrying, I can shrug and hire an elf, or build an AG3 carrier type and give him Extra Arms at 76. But if it's another Guard, or if it's my Leader, no, he's not taking gratuitous hits. And if it's Fend or Guard, I'm putting him in places to get hit.

I think leader is a waste of a skill slot on a +stat player. You can get leader as second skill on a block marauder. If you wanted to just rush with someone, you could hire an elf. This guy can actually ball, and should get balling skills. Pass, then accurate, with dodge on doubles (maybe KOR or fend if all else is normals).

I can see the benefit of guard since he has AG4, and it makes him less onedimensional, but I wouldn't give leader.
JackassRampant

Post   Posted: Apr 09, 2013 - 20:05 Reply with quote Back to top

The only reason I hesitate on Pass is that it's a one-sided ballgame: nobody can catch. I need my re-rolls as is, if I threw it a lot I'd need them even more. That was my original thinking behind the (now-discarded) HMP or NOS idea: I can go plug up a bunch of territory and put the ball off to safety. But I guess with ST4/Pass I can punt at end of turn, and if I don't give up an int shot* it's even safer.

* been picked 5 times on 497 comps, 1.6 squares per comp. True, that doesn't include punts, but it's still true that I just don't know that game, and I'll cop to being a little hesitant to throw where I could get picked.

Post   Posted: Apr 09, 2013 - 21:06 Reply with quote Back to top

I don't disagree that Leader is suboptimal, but unless he rolls doubles anything is suboptimal :p

Pass is pretty horrible for teams that don't have receivers, I'd rather bank an extra RR (which is essentially all Pass does...).

There could be some argument for NoS, if that's the way the player is used. How on earth anyone seriously suggests KoR is beyond me, that's like an ultimate nothing left on the shelf skill. Even for dwarves/khemri... though for some players, the 4th skill without any doubles does lead to KoR just because there isn't anything else worth taking either.

I still can't behind guard for this guy, even though it is a very useful skill to have. Seems in rather high supply already on the team, and just having it to provide the assist when your cage gets crushed feels far too narrow of a use to me.

I think the guy sadly will be an underwhelming AG4 unless he gets dodge.
Garion

Post   Posted: Apr 09, 2013 - 21:10 Reply with quote Back to top

The skill you are looking for is tackle without any doubt.

As your best player you want to keep him safe. He is your ball carrier on your drive but in the opponents doesn't he function as a back field Blitzer. Keeping him out of harms way and hitting anything that breaks through your defence?

I also don't get this. He hasn't even skilled up yet, who's taking bets on him getting killed next match Razz

Post   Posted: Apr 09, 2013 - 21:15 Reply with quote Back to top

He's on 50. I may play two games tonight. Odds are in 12 hours this one will be moot or in the books.

Your point about Tackle is a good one. Then I only need one more Tackle, that would make me happy. And then with Two-Heads, he's a multidimensional threat.

I will ultimately have a ton of Guard, yes. I don't right now. Watching replays, I need more Tackle, I think, more than I need more Guard, and that will still be true if I get my 27-pt MB guy up soon.

Post   Posted: Apr 10, 2013 - 05:51 Reply with quote Back to top

... aand +MA it is! Smile

Post   Posted: Apr 10, 2013 - 08:36 Reply with quote Back to top

See that's why ya shouldnt bother with these threads till they actually get the skill roll....

Post   Posted: Apr 10, 2013 - 09:07 Reply with quote Back to top

Haha! Very Happy

Congratulations!

Jump to: