10 coaches online • Server time: 05:34
Forum Chat
Recent Forum Topics goto Post DIBBL Awardsgoto Post Secret Stunty Cup - ...goto Post Blood Bowl 2024 Edit...
SearchSearch 
View previous topic Log in to check your private messages View next topic
koadah

Post   Posted: Dec 11, 2014 - 11:43 Reply with quote Back to top

Wreckage wrote:
One of the most frustrating things I find people who play in tournaments but refuse to go to the IRC. (That is the majority these days.)

Tournament games didn't use to be a problem, I just had to wait for somebody to pop up in the IRC and vice versa I could find them there.

Now, you essentially have to schedule, there is no way you can just run into each other. I can't even remmeber when I successfully used the IRC for that the last time, although I still often ask, especially when it comes to the more difficult people, but obviously especially them don't want to use IRC.

If I could make a feature request, I'd ask to at least get the tourney games on par with regular ranked play and to get rid of game names for that...

they really serve no purpose in scheduled matches..

I don't quite get what you are saying here.

If you don't schedule the game then there is no game.

People don't necessarily have time to just sit around waiting for people to just wander by.

Edit:

IRC can be good for open leagues if we could get enough people on it.

Even then it can also be counter productive when people feel that they are being pestered/harassed/dodged.

Post   Posted: Dec 11, 2014 - 12:23 Reply with quote Back to top

koadah wrote:
Wreckage wrote:

Now, you essentially have to schedule, there is no way you can just run into each other.

People don't necessarily have time to just sit around waiting for people to just wander by.

To me the worst thing about these changes is when people don't even remember how things used to be like.

It's really a very sad admittance..

Koadah... hhhhhhh....
not everyone can reliably commit to a scheduling a game... as for me it's much more convenient to just play at a time when I and my opponent is around...

If I'm on the IRC I'm not sitting around waiting for a game... it's called idling... it's something you do while you are online.

When somebody writes you a message, you get instantly notified... have you ever used the IRC?

A message pops up, a guy asks you for a game, you say.. no i'm buisy, or .. in 15 mins... or some other time...

If you write somebody on fumbbl, he will only ever notice when he next checks the page....

for instance I could be sitting on my computer, wait for an opponent to show up and still miss him because I didn't press page refresh in the right 10 minutes.. and off he is again.

Is that really too hard to understand?
Joemanji

Post   Posted: Dec 11, 2014 - 12:27 Reply with quote Back to top

I guess that is why Christer said that long term he'd want to implement some kind of Facebook style chat pop-up.

Post   Posted: Dec 11, 2014 - 12:43 Reply with quote Back to top

Wreckage wrote:
koadah wrote:
Wreckage wrote:

Now, you essentially have to schedule, there is no way you can just run into each other.

To me the worst thing about these changes is when people don't even remember how things used to be like.

It's really a very sad admittance..

Koadah... hhhhhhh....
not everyone can reliably commit to a scheduling a game... as for me it's much more convenient to just play at a time when I and my opponent is around...

If I'm on the IRC I'm not sitting around waiting for a game... it's called idling... it's something you do while you are online.

When somebody writes you a message, you get instantly notified... have you ever used the IRC?

A message pops up, a guy asks you for a game, you say.. no i'm buisy, or .. in 15 mins... or some other time...

If you write somebody on fumbbl, he will only ever notice when he next checks the page....

for instance I could be sitting on my computer, wait for an opponent to show up and still miss him because I didn't press page refresh in the right 10 minutes.. and off he is again.

Is that really too hard to understand?

People use the site in different ways.

I've been logged into IRC ever since Throweck posted the alternative link. But if you send me a PM I am very likely to notice that before I notice an IRC message.

If you need to play a scheduled game then you need to give a window in advance stating when you can play. That way people can arrange their schedule to be ready.

If you say 21:00-22:00 I'll log in at 20:50, start the game and PM you the game name. I may join IRC too.

If you cannot give a 1 hour (ideally 30 minute) window for kick off then unless you are available to play pretty much all the time the game isn't going to happen.

Post   Posted: Dec 11, 2014 - 12:52 Reply with quote Back to top

koadah wrote:

If you cannot give a 1 hour (ideally 30 minute) window for kick off then unless you are available to play pretty much all the time the game isn't going to happen.

If I make an opponent wait for more than 10 minutes without notice, I feel really bad. If an opponent makes me wait for >30 minutes, I get a little grumpy.
Wreckage

Post   Posted: Dec 11, 2014 - 12:58 Reply with quote Back to top

koadah wrote:
...if you send me a PM I am very likely to notice that before I notice an IRC message.

I dunno, I'm using mIRC. When somebody sends me a message, I recieve a ping and that is kinda hard to miss.
I could be watching something, or do something offline... I would never have to check back on fumbbl for it...

hell, even if I wasn't at the computer, mIRC would light up and start blinking, so as soon as I'm back on the computer, I'd imidiatly know...

maybe other chat interfaces have a worse support..
koadah

Post   Posted: Dec 11, 2014 - 12:58 Reply with quote Back to top

Coach 1: Hi, when do you want to play?
Coach 2: I can play pretty much anytime.
coach 1: Great. How is Thursday at 21:00.
Coach 2: No. I can't do Thursday.
Coach 1: OK. when do you want to play?
Coach 2: I can play pretty much anytime.

Repeat multiple times
Coach 1: OK. But when?
Coach 2: Any time.

Commish: Can you both play Friday 20:00 -2 2:00?

Coach 1: No I am out that day
Coach 2: I can play anytime.

Commish: What about Sunday or Monday?

Repeat multiple times:
Coach 2: Yes, I can play pretty much anytime
Coach 1: When?

Commish: Forget it. I'm pulling the plug on this nonsense.

You know who you are. Twisted Evil

Post   Posted: Dec 11, 2014 - 13:10 Reply with quote Back to top

the_Sage wrote:
koadah wrote:

If I make an opponent wait for more than 10 minutes without notice, I feel really bad. If an opponent makes me wait for >30 minutes, I get a little grumpy.

Generally, people will turn up on time or before time an warn you that they need another 20 mins etc.

Wreckage wrote:
koadah wrote:
...if you send me a PM I am very likely to notice that before I notice an IRC message.

I dunno, I'm using mIRC. When somebody sends me a message, I recieve a ping and that is kinda hard to miss.
I could be watching something, or do something offline... I would never have to check back on fumbbl for it...

hell, even if I wasn't at the computer, mIRC would light up and start blinking, so as soon as I'm back on the computer, I'd imidiatly know...

maybe other chat interfaces have a worse support..

I did manage to get hydra to ping/go orange but I am a commish of muiltiple leagues it would just go off all the time.

Even so. I might not even be in the room.

The more important point is that you need 60-90 minutes to play a game. For a lot of people that isn't going to happen with out some planning.
So, constant "can you play?", "No","can you play?", "No what about tomorrow around 20:00", "I dunno I'll see" is gonna start P-ing people off.

It's not really about whether people have IRC or not. I would still only log in to IRC or even come to the computer or even be in the house about 10 minutes before the arranged time.

Post   Posted: Dec 11, 2014 - 13:19 Reply with quote Back to top

koadah wrote:

It's not really about whether people have IRC or not. I would still only log in to IRC or even come to the computer or even be in the house about 10 minutes before the arranged time.

From my point of view, that doesn't really matter.
I'm expecting to be around.

I know if my opponent catches me online and I refuse to play, we will have to schedule imidiatly. I know this doesn't work twice.

But I get the choice, and its a convenient one. You ask for a game instantly. You get one chance.

It either works or it doesn't. Then you schedule, online.

It's not a problem because you are already talking. It's pretty much win-win.

I can handle people wanting to schedule or preferring to use the pm system.
Sometimes I just wish they would meet me half way as I am meeting them half way by committing to their conditions.

If you came online just to talk to me, that would work just the same when I'm already idling in the IRC.
Just be aware that you have to be the one who approaches me then.

And if your chat is blinking all the time, maybe you should check it out more often Razz. Apparently there are things you need to take care of Wink.
koadah

Post   Posted: Dec 11, 2014 - 13:43 Reply with quote Back to top

Wreckage wrote:

I can handle people wanting to schedule or preferring to use the pm system.
Sometimes I just wish they would meet me half way as I am meeting them half way by committing to their conditions.

Once you are talking, IRC is much better for the offer/counter offer.

But I just checked. I don't see you logged in. Shocked

Post   Posted: Dec 11, 2014 - 13:52 Reply with quote Back to top

Well one point that's sticking out for me now, is affecting Open Leagues. I think Open League format is the best format to play. Closed Leagues are more professional, but take a lot more commitment, especially when things aren't going so well.

Organising games in an Open League format defeats the object of an 'OL' style league. So some form of chat function would greatly aid this style of competition.
Wreckage

Post   Posted: Dec 11, 2014 - 13:56 Reply with quote Back to top

koadah wrote:

There is virtually no point for me being in IRC these days.

I'm not scheduled for any game and as I said, people don't meet me half way.
If they ever do, I show up, will idle there.

There is no point in being in IRC for nobody. Wink
koadah

Post   Posted: Dec 11, 2014 - 14:44 Reply with quote Back to top

Wreckage wrote:
koadah wrote:

There is virtually no point for me being in IRC these days.

I'm not scheduled for any game and as I said, people don't meet me half way.
If they ever do, I show up, will idle there.

There is no point in being in IRC for nobody. Wink

Well, if the guys complaining about people not using chat are not going to be using chat then yeah. It's doomed. Wink

harvestmouse wrote:
Well one point that's sticking out for me now, is affecting Open Leagues. I think Open League format is the best format to play. Closed Leagues are more professional, but take a lot more commitment, especially when things aren't going so well.

Organising games in an Open League format defeats the object of an 'OL' style league. So some form of chat function would greatly aid this style of competition.

I don't quite understand what you mean here Mouse. Games have to 'organised'. If you are talking about just turning up and getting a game immediately in ORR then you are pretty fortunate if your league is big enough for that to happen. Open RR leagues are currently limited to 26 teams so you can only have a very big league if you use off Fumbbl management. That is if you can recruit that many.

On site chat would be very good if you could get enough people to use it though.

Upcoming [L]eague changes will be interesting.

Post   Posted: Dec 11, 2014 - 16:08 Reply with quote Back to top

I think arranging games in an OL, kind of defeats the object, as it's now 'scheduling', but you're choosing your schedule.

A chat function that everybody used would take away some of the scheduling that is currently needed (and holding back Open Leagues).

So coming online, peruse the coach list, contact coaches you need to play and get a game. It was more like this with IRC. However with 145 coaches (the main user of OLs during IRCs time) you would get a lot of newer coaches that hadn't committed to IRC yet.
sann0638

Post   Posted: Dec 11, 2014 - 16:12 Reply with quote Back to top

Joemanji wrote:
I guess that is why Christer said that long term he'd want to implement some kind of Facebook style chat pop-up.

UKBBL have this, works pretty well I think. You see who is online and can start chat.

Jump to: