33 coaches online • Server time: 10:12
Forum Chat
Recent Forum Topics goto Post TSC Draftgoto Post 4,000TV!goto Post IBA Draft League
SearchSearch 
View previous topic Log in to check your private messages View next topic
Poll
How toxic do you find FUMBBL's culture?
1 (One of the most healthy communities I've ever been a part of)
51%
 51%  [ 81 ]
2 (Nothing the article describes happens at FUMBBL)
24%
 24%  [ 39 ]
3 (About average for an online community)
13%
 13%  [ 21 ]
4 (I'm worried about some of it's elements)
7%
 7%  [ 12 ]
5 (So toxic that I tried to avoid it as much as I can)
2%
 2%  [ 4 ]
Total Votes : 157

coombz

Post   Posted: Apr 05, 2016 - 10:44 Reply with quote Back to top

Purplegoo wrote:

Of course. I suppose I meant 'what gives with us accepting this as OK', not 'Why would you sell these / who would buy them'.

understood

i can't speak for everyone, but just for myself i kind of think that it's none of my business what sort of toys other people like to play with

as long as they are not hurting anyone they can crack on as far as i'm concerned, creepy as it may be...anything else would feel a bit 'thought police'ish, you know what i mean?

and i also appreciate that people don't judge me on my various nerd hobbies and bad habits (again, as long as i'm not causing any harm Smile )

but i'd like to think that when/if the creepy kind of guys who get thrills from things like half naked minis started actually acting inappropriately around me, i'd intervene ;d

That's Trailer Park Life.
Matthueycamo

Post   Posted: Apr 05, 2016 - 10:46 Reply with quote Back to top

Terrorists? Really? Well there goes any credibility in this case. Seems like somebody prone to exaggeration.

As for the site no bad experiances myself which is all I can speak about with authority.

DLE College 7s
Purplegoo

Post   Posted: Apr 05, 2016 - 10:50 Reply with quote Back to top

Coombz: Yep, I absolutely see that argument, and maybe even subscribe to it a little. I guess it was just an aside. Whilst I'm not directly linking toys to the sort of abuse the OP outlines, it's probably somewhere on the same Venn diagram and doesn't sit superbly well with me. Let's put it this way, if I finally convinced my wife to take up the hobby, she might well ask me why middle aged men require sexy lumps of lead while the Internet and real people exist, and I don't know I'd have a good answer.

But this is an aside for another thread, I suppose.
Matthueycamo

Post   Posted: Apr 05, 2016 - 10:58 Reply with quote Back to top

coombz wrote:
Purplegoo wrote:

Of course. I suppose I meant 'what gives with us accepting this as OK', not 'Why would you sell these / who would buy them'.

understood

i can't speak for everyone, but just for myself i kind of think that it's none of my business what sort of toys other people like to play with

as long as they are not hurting anyone they can crack on as far as i'm concerned, creepy as it may be...anything else would feel a bit 'thought police'ish, you know what i mean?

and i also appreciate that people don't judge me on my various nerd hobbies and bad habits (again, as long as i'm not causing any harm Smile )

but i'd like to think that when/if the creepy kind of guys who get thrills from things like half naked minis started actually acting inappropriately around me, i'd intervene ;d

Also it is not always just women. Norse for example are represented with a male looking form and often not clad in much. Which is the problem when focusing on a lot of this type of stuff. For every female race half naked there is a male one yet the talk is always about the female one.

What makes it ok to have male looking figures like that but make female ones into a problem?

DLE College 7s
Badoek

Post   Posted: Apr 05, 2016 - 11:00 Reply with quote Back to top

I read that woman's post yesterday. Good point to bring it up here though, if only to raise some awareness. While some of things she mentions seem unbelievable (literally so), if only a fraction of what she says is true, we (male, female, any colour, age etc) should pay at least a little attention to our and our peers behaviour. Her semantics are somewhat poor too, I can understand people forgetting about the message and focus on Terrorism but anyone reading should be able to look past that.

I think FUMBBL would/should be a good place for women, a place where they can openly be female without being harassed in any way. But if that's not the case, I'd like to know I'm wrong in thinking that and I'd like to see what can be done about it! This goes for any non-white males, name your minority and there are possibilities of there being similar experiences: female, elder, teen, black, Asian, gay, Polish Wink etc.

@Zed: wth dude?

@mrt1212: ah yes, bikini pictures. Now there's an interesting example. I'm unsure how I feel about those but I like how FUMBBL decides to err on the side of caution.

@Verminardo: I think you've probably made the most "toxic" reply so far and it's not that bad, only a bit jaded I'd guess.. Confused

coombz wrote:
i've mostly been tt / board gaming just with friends in recent memory, it's been a looooooong time since i set foot in a GW store or the like. maybe that explains my forgetfullness somewhat

i would have liked to think that such communities would self-police to deal with people who continually demonstrate inappropriate behaviour, but i suppose if it's a very small/niche group and all the members are equally [edit]warped[/edit] in the head, that won't happen ;]

Mature & open minded! Good point, maybe not so much warped in the head as a more regular "socially inept" and male misbehaviour. Because let's face it, this can hardly be a gaming thing. I doubt motorcycle clubs are any better.

@purplegoo: ah yes, I don't get those naked miniatures either. I mean, I get why people like them but I don't get taking those with you to play against other people, with possibly women (watching). To me it's like taking your Hustler/Playboy with you, or whatever inappropriate showing on your phone/table.
Wreckage

Post   Posted: Apr 05, 2016 - 11:20 Reply with quote Back to top

Badoek wrote:

@purplegoo: ah yes, I don't get those naked miniatures either. I mean, I get why people like them but I don't get taking those with you to play against other people, with possibly women (watching). To me it's like taking your Hustler/Playboy with you, or whatever inappropriate showing on your phone/table.

To me miniatures are too abstract to really understand whats wrong with them. I guess I feel like everyone should be allowed to display every part of their body they want and when it gets to statues and miniatures its just getting silly. I mean, it's not like you have to be getting off on it to appreciate a greek Adonis statue.
I do remember tho that when I was younger I was sometimes wondering why some people -I say people because I have also seen women do this- put up posters of half-naked women in their bedrooms. I guess for similar reasons as you described. I mean they do look nice and all but not in a 'here let me show you and enjoy it together how nice she looks' kinda way. Not something you'd want on public display. I remember once asking one of these guys, why he did it and he said it was art. I was like... really? That's why you hang them up there? It's a poster man, you glued it with tape against the wall. But it was somewhat of a fair argument.
easilyamused

Post   Posted: Apr 05, 2016 - 11:31 Reply with quote Back to top

Personal attacks and excessive abusive language is not accepted. Discussing other people's styles of play does not qualify as personal attacks.

Offensive language - including but not limited to racism, sexual harassment and religious persecution - is not allowed in any form.

I don't expect to see the above happen in our community but you will always find the odd bad apple.

If you come across anything that makes you think those rules have been broken then report it to the staff and we will deal with it.

People come here to relax and partake in a hobby in their spare time. Personally I'm not going to let some douchecanoe ruin what we have here.

Post   Posted: Apr 05, 2016 - 11:35 Reply with quote Back to top

1, this place is so soft. More than that actually, this place is almost too overapologetic and sensitive, so I'd rate 0.

We need more tough users.

Post   Posted: Apr 05, 2016 - 11:41 Reply with quote Back to top

Yes, women are treated badly in many male dominated subcultures. As men we should be mindful not to engage in the behavior ourselves. As good people we must discourage others from engaging in abusive behavior when we witness it. As community members we must listen with a sympathetic ear when victims of harassment are bold enough to speak up about it.

It doesn't make any sense to debate semantics in a public forum. Debate semantics with your friends, who are unlikely to misunderstand your intentions. It doesn't make any sense to defend some men vs all men or some communities vs all communities in this context either. The issue is too sensitive to make any progress toward a solution in a public forum if it is so disingenuously addressed. The important issue isn't whether a certain behavior is awful or super-awful. It's that it's worse than anyone deserves, and we can and should be part of the solution.

I get tired of SJW's too. I'm about as politically incorrect as you can get. (Rothbardian anarcho-capitalist working in adult film.) But SJW's are frequently right, even though their frustration sometimes manifests as gross hyperbole. If you want to hear fewer complaints from SJW's without tearing them down, do your best to change the mistreatment they are trying so damn hard to alert us to. It doesn't take a lot of effort, really. But it takes some vigilance, since each of us has grown accustomed to misogyny, racism, etc., to various degrees. Especially white, straight, cis-gendered men like me and most of the people likely to read this thread.

How does the FUMBBL community compare to other online communities? I'd say it's pretty good. As has been pointed out, the forums represent just a small sample of the user base. In game chat is limited but generally polite. Most of the players here are older than typical gamers, and that probably has some effect on how we treat one another. But I think we're mostly just super excited to have other nerds to play BB with.

(I just said "bb" in a post about social justice. Oh, sweet irony.)
The_Great_Gobbo

Post   Posted: Apr 05, 2016 - 11:54 Reply with quote Back to top

Yew thinkz yew az it bad as a wummin, try bein der only gobbo on der site! At leest yew mite get der okkashunal drink bort fer yer, I az ter nikk mine.

An everywun finkz itz ok ter kall me a smelly green git evun tho I tellz em itz kalled Brut an I enjoy der manly smell of a man. An whilst im on it, why iz der world not fair? If I wuz king o der world yew wud all be treeted eekwally by me, yew wud all be treeted like skum!

Gobbo ritez ferevva!

An deff ter obbitz.
Endzone

Post   Posted: Apr 05, 2016 - 12:02 Reply with quote Back to top

Matthueycamo wrote:

"Also it is not always just women. Norse for example are represented with a male looking form and often not clad in much. Which is the problem when focusing on a lot of this type of stuff. For every female race half naked there is a male one yet the talk is always about the female one.

What makes it ok to have male looking figures like that but make female ones into a problem?"

What you have to bear in mind is that there is a precedent in fantasy gaming for female characters to be depicted in a sexual way. Generally the writers and game designers etc. are men and they are targeting a male audience. When they create female characters or images they are commonly sexualised. Male warriors where chain mail - women wear impractical metal bikini's. Now, it is true to say that Norse don't wear much, but that is the exception rather than the rule. Norse, a roster designed by men for a predominantly male audience were probably not designed that way to be sexy, it is simply that this one roster is of men who culturally wear fewer clothes. By contrast almost every female character will be wearing almost nothing. Throwing in a token semi-naked male character/team doesn't change the argument.

If you want to know whether something is appropriate listen to the views of the minority it potentially offends, to say the equivalent doesn't offend me is rather meaningless because if you are not part of that minority.
Endzone

Post   Posted: Apr 05, 2016 - 12:07 Reply with quote Back to top

Endzone wrote:
Matthueycamo wrote:

"Also it is not always just women. Norse for example are represented with a male looking form and often not clad in much. Which is the problem when focusing on a lot of this type of stuff. For every female race half naked there is a male one yet the talk is always about the female one.

What makes it ok to have male looking figures like that but make female ones into a problem?"

What you have to bear in mind is that there is a precedent in fantasy gaming for female characters to be depicted in a sexual way. Generally the writers and game designers etc. are men and they are targeting a male audience. When they create female characters or images they are commonly sexualised. Male warriors where chain mail - women wear impractical metal bikini's. Now, it is true to say that Norse don't wear much, but that is the exception rather than the rule. Norse, a roster designed by men for a predominantly male audience were probably not designed that way to be sexy, it is simply that this one roster is of men who culturally wear fewer clothes. By contrast almost every female character will be wearing almost nothing. Throwing in a token semi-naked male character/team doesn't change the argument.

If you want to know whether something is appropriate listen to the views of the minority it potentially offends, to say the equivalent doesn't offend me is rather meaningless because if you are not part of that minority.

I just re-read that and it sounds a bit like I am having ago or being preachy - sorry, not my intention - hard to word these things right. Live and let live - I just wanted to try and explain my point. Smile
JimmyFantastic

Post   Posted: Apr 05, 2016 - 12:16 Reply with quote Back to top

This thread was 4 days late right? Ayy lmao.

Post   Posted: Apr 05, 2016 - 12:31 Reply with quote Back to top

no comment !!

Post   Posted: Apr 05, 2016 - 12:57 Reply with quote Back to top

There is no indication of your gender to be seen anywhere.
Was there?
Or you started all your games by mentioning that you are female?
By the way: amazingly noone gives actually a damn about the gender of the opponent around here.

But good trolling material anyway, keep it up.