57 coaches online • Server time: 20:26
Forum Chat
Recent Forum Topics goto Post Finishing the 60 Gam...goto Post GIF Guidegoto Post TSC Draft
SearchSearch 
View previous topic Log in to check your private messages View next topic
Craftnburn

Post   Posted: Aug 02, 2016 - 05:30 Reply with quote Back to top

"Don't paddle in the douche-canoe"!*

*I SO wish I could remember who coined this phrase on the forums... You are a god among men! Wink"
Grod

Post   Posted: Aug 02, 2016 - 05:36 Reply with quote Back to top

DarthPhysicist wrote:
Wreckage wrote:
An overimposed -realistic goal- algorythm that considers things like players left, sacking threat and so on that can set various priority modes from -score imidiatly- -to score securely- to -stall it out-. And so on.

That might surprise you as difficult to do well. The Cyanide AIs basically do that... and they are garbage. Appreciated garbage, but garbage none-the-less.

Its actually not that difficult if you keep it simple. The key is to not overly constrain the moves but allow them to emerge naturally from a set of simple underlying ideas.

The way my code works is to repeatedly calculate every possible move for every (remaining to move) player and assign a “score” to the move. Then carry out the highest score move.

All the “thinking” goes into working out what the scores are, based on things like blitzing ball carrier, caging, screening etc.

I reckon the AI i coded is a reasonable challenge for coaches up to 155 CR, but that if I (or someone else) had time, its easy to make it significantly better.

Find the project in my blog Smile

Oscar Wilde
Desultory

Post   Posted: Aug 02, 2016 - 20:32 Reply with quote Back to top

As a passing statement.... I meant in the distant future as AI improves. Aren't there AI engines writing music now? (I don't need a lesson on how music is different from blood bowl)

I was thinking more visionarilly than practically.

How can I play your AI Grod? Does it type? Smile

The general ignorance shown in this thread make it quite clear to me why I want to hide the chat.
Grod

Post   Posted: Aug 12, 2016 - 06:58 Reply with quote Back to top

Yes you can and no it doesnt. Download link is on this page:

https://fumbbl.com/p/blog?c=Grod

As a sidenote, I did start playing around with chatbots, but that qould take a lot of time to do well.

Oscar Wilde
fidius

Post   Posted: Aug 12, 2016 - 07:07 Reply with quote Back to top

Desultory wrote:
The general ignorance shown in this thread make it quite clear to me why I want to hide the chat.

I missed this a week ago, so I'll say it now: rofl!
mrt1212

Post   Posted: Aug 12, 2016 - 07:40 Reply with quote Back to top

Desultory wrote:

Look, whether you like it or not, the perception of other people (especially so in a social game like BB) matters. Now there's no shame in admitting you're not a people person (I freely admit I'm the most chatty anti-social person in the world), that you find them beneath you, that they should feel guilty for not being on your level but...

You come off as anti-social and defiantly so and I am sincerely asking you to consider the gap between what you think you're saying and what we think you're saying.

There's an old joke I'll paraphrase: if you run into a jerk once in a while maybe the world has a handful of jerks. if everyone you run into is a jerk, you're one of the handful.
harvestmouse

Post   Posted: Aug 12, 2016 - 08:36 Reply with quote Back to top

Craftnburn wrote:
"Don't paddle in the douche-canoe"!*

*I SO wish I could remember who coined this phrase on the forums... You are a god among men! Wink"

Shadow was first to use it on this forum.
Beanchilla

Post   Posted: Aug 12, 2016 - 10:20 Reply with quote Back to top

It might be tricky but honestly, just open notepad and pull it up over the chat. No need to make it a feature of the game. I think it's also easy to ignore chat. Usually, when I have an opponent who is a jerk, I just ignore them. Luckily that is a rare occurrence.

Hope that helps. I use notepad plus and have used it to block out areas on my screen in the past before. Not for this purpose but it helps.

Here's a great resource for all sorts of Fumbbl images!
Throweck

Post   Posted: Aug 12, 2016 - 10:54 Reply with quote Back to top

If only there was a way to hide coaches and their posts on forums. Call me unfriendly and all that. Very Happy

Post   Posted: Aug 20, 2016 - 13:23 Reply with quote Back to top

I appreciate all the impartial advice about covering the chat box. Notepad is glaringly obvious to me now it's mentioned, but It didn't occur to me before, as I'm not in the common habit of hiding windows. The issue is solved for me now. Thank you. I won't write any more after this.

mrt1212 wrote:

Look, whether you like it or not, the perception of other people (especially so in a social game like BB) matters. Now there's no shame in admitting you're not a people person (I freely admit I'm the most chatty anti-social person in the world), that you find them beneath you, that they should feel guilty for not being on your level but...

You come off as anti-social and defiantly so and I am sincerely asking you to consider the gap between what you think you're saying and what we think you're saying.

There's an old joke I'll paraphrase: if you run into a jerk once in a while maybe the world has a handful of jerks. if everyone you run into is a jerk, you're one of the handful.

All I've written throughout is that I am uninterested in writing to people in the chat box, and I've tried to explain why in my 'about' section. In my eyes that makes me less anti social than just ignoring every one I play. Although intrinsically this seems to offend, I haven't directly been rude or attacking about it at any point. Yet there are quite a few posters that have been attacking towards me. For example, In this post you have indirectly stated I'm a jerk. I've read another thread as well, where the same group who seem to think they are comedic genius', attack any one not adhering to their cultural values. This happens commonly in many microcultures. It is foolish.

- There are no rules that state Blood Bowl must be social. I don't lack social gratification in my day to day life, so I don't need to chat to some stranger I probably won't like.
- The perception/opinions of average people are based upon limited, often skewed or deluded variables that have no basis in objectivity. Like for example your opinions in this paragraph. Therefore it really is pointless for me to try to "consider the gap between what you think you're saying and what we think you're saying".
- There are definitely more than a handful of 'jerks' if the definition is 'a contemptibly foolish person' as per a quick google search. So according to some retarded 'joke' backwards logic, I must be foolish because I consider many people foolish.
- I'm quite happy for foolish people to think I'm a 'jerk'. Can you see how it's just a better outcome for every one if I just don't write?
MattDakka

Post   Posted: Aug 20, 2016 - 14:03 Reply with quote Back to top

Out of curiosity, do you greet people when you meet them in real life?
Assuming you do that, why should you not do the same in online games?
I understand that not all people like to chat and they just want to play a game, but in my opinion writing "Hi" at the start and "thanks for the game, see you" after the game is over is the minimum social interaction.
mekutata

Post   Posted: Aug 20, 2016 - 14:19 Reply with quote Back to top

playing a game against opponents who don't even greet or "gg" make me feel like playing all alone a stupid shitty videogame.

Post   Posted: Aug 20, 2016 - 15:43 Reply with quote Back to top

DarthPhysicist wrote:
Chess also has no timer which as you watch a chess algorithm cycle through the possible moves [...]

Of course you can haz such timer:

Universal Chess Interface Protocol wrote:

* movetime - search exactly x mseconds

http://wbec-ridderkerk.nl/html/UCIProtocol.html

How would computers be able to play speed chess otherwise?

As for the prospect of an AI playing BB, consider that engines already beat human's ass in Backgammon and Scrabble, and that Texas Hold'Em is more or less solved.

Even if you need to prepare for failure in BB, I don't think the evaluation function is that complex.

Last edited by thoralf on %b %20, %2016 - %18:%Aug; edited 1 time in total
thoralf

Post   Posted: Aug 20, 2016 - 16:00 Reply with quote Back to top

Desultory wrote:
There are no rules that state Blood Bowl must be social.

I don't see the relevance of this argument. The notion of a social rule is moot, but if someone tells you something and you don't talk back, something's amiss and that something can even be found in any good manual, except perhaps this one.

Desultory wrote:
I don't need to chat to some stranger I probably won't like. The perception/opinions of average people are based upon limited, often skewed or deluded variables that have no basis in objectivity.

The first sentence confirms the second, yet the argument made in the second undoes the argument made in the first.
PainState

Post   Posted: Aug 20, 2016 - 16:07 Reply with quote Back to top

Just get a sticky note and put it on your monitor over the chat screen.