43 coaches online • Server time: 17:46
Forum Chat
Recent Forum Topics goto Post Draft League Expansi...goto Post 90+ Custom Rosters!goto Post NBFL Season 32: The ...
SearchSearch 
View previous topic Log in to check your private messages View next topic

Post   Posted: Dec 21, 2004 - 17:52 Reply with quote Back to top

Gatts wrote:
Quote:
I'm still wonderin why all those metagroups are created in Ranked... Unranked would be the perfect place for such groups... you can make rules about your playing style, you make rules for challenges and other things that probably aren't allowed in a group in Ranked...

I think it's because it's easier to find games in R. And I don't know exactly what rules about challenges you are reffering to.

I didn't refere to any existing rules about challenges, I just thought that you can make more rules in unranked.
monboesen

Post   Posted: Dec 21, 2004 - 17:54 Reply with quote Back to top

Nazerdemus

It hardly matters if you play to maim or to ensure a small win and then hurt all the players you can. I have nothing against injuries and kills, as long as they are the result of a drive towards TD. I do not like stalling but recognize it as a legit and at times neccecary style of play. I'm not against fouling either or taking skills to hurt the other team.

But to stall at a point where you have already won and then going for fouls the rest of the game (an entire half in a game I specced today) is IMO pointless. It has no long term benefits for your team and the only reason to do is pettyness or being a member of MU or Kaos hordes.

Because in the latter situation that benefits you far more than going for a big win. The cas you rack up from the fouls will give you additional points within the groups, TD's will not. Thats why I don't like your internal scoring system.
quota

Post   Posted: Dec 21, 2004 - 18:00 Reply with quote Back to top

Good old "it's called BLOODbowl" argument; can't beat it Razz

I agree with monboesen, except I do have a slution to the problem. Deny people the chance to make these groups. Limit groups to Unranked, except for FUMBBL made groups. They can bash and trash and kill and maim all they want in Unranked for all I care. They still can in Ranked, they just can't compete about it.

Post   Posted: Dec 21, 2004 - 18:02 Reply with quote Back to top

Stalling is a legitamate tactic to win , fouling stops players getting in the way of your stalling tactic ,if you break there players they cant blitz , so you can stall easier l , if they are dead . And if you are gonna sit there and let you foul you all game thats your own fault if they do it ,

So basically , Stalling is a lot easier if your opponent has less players than you .

How does winning by a big margin help you in the long run ?
nazerdemus

Post   Posted: Dec 21, 2004 - 18:05 Reply with quote Back to top

quota wrote:
Good old "it's called BLOODbowl" argument; can't beat it Razz

I agree with monboesen, except I do have a slution to the problem. Deny people the chance to make these groups. Limit groups to Unranked, except for FUMBBL made groups. They can bash and trash and kill and maim all they want in Unranked for all I care. They still can in Ranked, they just can't compete about it.

So basicly make ranked for elves and players who cry when a player dies, whats the point of removing the fun, side competition , it dont hurt anybody Smile
AlcingRagaholic

Post   Posted: Dec 21, 2004 - 18:05 Reply with quote Back to top

Skill points... you know, those things that make your players get better? Bigger margins mean more TDs mean more skill points means better players means more wins means better team rating means higher coach ranking.

There. That's why a bigger margin is better.

Z
BunnyPuncher

Post   Posted: Dec 21, 2004 - 18:06 Reply with quote Back to top

First note: Sinner's elves all have AV 10 from what I can tell (and remember)... but I do encourage all other elves to get themselves psyched up for EMU Season 5 on the first of february!

Second note: The impact of the MU's is vastly overrated. Most only have a solid core of 10 coaches, and even EMU at its height in season 2, only had about 25 core teams.

Third Note: No one is forced to play. The teams are all listed on the group pages. In EMU a lot of the teams have bloody pitch logos for pete's sake. That said, I'm thinking of making EMU a private group just to tick you all off.

Fourth Note: criticising the "kaos" group is just silly. What? These 200TR claw,RSC, DP laden teams needed a scoring mechanism to be encouraged to kill you? Give yer head a shake.

Fifth Note: because there are no "fixed" matches is the reason the MUs belong in ranked. Fumbbl's own rules keep point feeding from happening. Besides, just imagine the corpses of noobites that would be draped over the altar of Khorne if we were forced to feed in U.

Sixth Note: This has all been discussed to death. The best thing to do is ignore the forum threads. By reading those it appears that the MUs are far deadlier than they are.

Seventh Note: The EMU is special. What other contests do flings and gobbos have a chance in? Gives people a reason to coach stunty in my opinion. And fouling elves is next to godhood.

Eighth Note: Ban these groups and I'll just move the scoring summaries off of fumbbl. Problem will still be there. Only I'll do my best to make it worse Twisted Evil

Cheers.

Post   Posted: Dec 21, 2004 - 18:11 Reply with quote Back to top

Don't undestand the problem. All u can do inside the rules is ok. If u don't like the rules, don't play or ask to change rules.
AlcingRagaholic

Post   Posted: Dec 21, 2004 - 18:14 Reply with quote Back to top

That's what the point of the creator of this thread was trying to talk about.

Z
nazerdemus

Post   Posted: Dec 21, 2004 - 18:20 Reply with quote Back to top

AlcingRagaholic wrote:
Skill points... you know, those things that make your players get better? Bigger margins mean more TDs mean more skill points means better players means more wins means better team rating means higher coach ranking.

There. That's why a bigger margin is better.

Z

Okay lets look at this comment

You can get skill points from casualties, ( before you say in a whiny voice , "but you dont get skill points from casualties caused by fouling" , its a lot easier to throw a three dice block when you have 5 more players on the pitch than your opponent , you also get to block the same player 2 or three times if he wont go down and that creates the oppurtunity to cause casualties from blocks , which do gain skill points . )

okay and secondly , having a team with loads of skills just means you have to play other teams with loads of skills , you know the 40 strength rule etc , general acceptance of games etc

So you can get skill points buy playing for beats from casualties and advancing your team doesnt mean your next game will be easier and you will win easier , for every block claw/rsc guard CW you have your opponent will have a movement 10 catch dodge blocker dauntless player to score all over you ,

as well no team survives without winning the ff and cashflow penalties are too harsh
banana_fish900

Post   Posted: Dec 21, 2004 - 18:20 Reply with quote Back to top

I gotta tell you, some of the posts here have been devisive and downright silly. There are two types of fumbbl coaches: 1) Your type, 2) Everyone else. I don't even try to change people's minds anymore, if they foul me in turn 16 (unless they need to move a prone player out of the way to score) then they get put on my dnp list. It's not worth even talking about because there are always more coaches to choose from.

I don't begrudge the MUs, let them play--but I do think that choice should be informed. My only problem is that not all parties involved in an MU (elves w/ the EMU for instance) chose to join. You can earn points by playing teams that are not in your group. I'd suggest the following: Note a team's group affiliation on their team page, when they lfg in chat, and in the gamefinder. This essentially lets a team "join" the group at the time they decide to play a particular game. I've noticed that several MU teams already advertise thier group affiliation on their team page which is great, automating the process should help to keep everyone happy. Several MU coaches have said this is a good idea.

Oh and restricting this to U is a good idea but it there's no way it would fly. There just aren't enough non-tournament teams in U looking for one-off matches. I also don't think MUs unbalance the R division in any way.
nazerdemus

Post   Posted: Dec 21, 2004 - 18:23 Reply with quote Back to top

banana_fish900 wrote:
I've noticed that several MU teams already advertise thier group affiliation on their team page which is great,

I think in the kaos horde your required to do this
DreadClaw

Post   Posted: Dec 21, 2004 - 18:24 Reply with quote Back to top

I'm sorry if i sound like an idiot.. But.

Alcin: Scoring more: Sure, the spp are nice, but sometimes, i like slower progressing chaos more. i like to skill up my cws, and they tend to have to be bashed free slowly, causing me to stall, and i do foul in between, especially if i have the ref.

secondly: I haven't ever hidden the fact i was in any *mu or in the Kaos hordes, nor would i want to. If anybody ever did so, i'd personally kick him//her from my group.

Thirdly: What's the point of critisizing a gamestructure? If you don't like it don't play in it or against it. We are not forcing anybody to play.

Finally: I can imagine certain coaches not liking the formats that are out. But do you hear me critisizing elfbowl leagues who don't allow dps and//or limit the amount of mblow//dps//claws or whatever? No.

Post   Posted: Dec 21, 2004 - 18:28 Reply with quote Back to top

DreadClaw wrote:
I'm sorry if i sound like an idiot.. .

No point to start apologising now Smile

DreadClaw wrote:

Finally: I can imagine certain coaches not liking the formats that are out. But do you hear me critisizing elfbowl leagues who don't allow dps and//or limit the amount of mblow//dps//claws or whatever? No.

To be fair these are unranked leagues , dont wanna go there , but there is nothing stopping Elves creating a ranked side - league where scoring is loved above all else .As long as they play outside the group as well as in .
Kenty

Post   Posted: Dec 21, 2004 - 18:29 Reply with quote Back to top

I am not a member of any Kaos clan... but I have found them to be a good thing actually. The super aggressive coaches are basically labelling themselves and you will have a better idea of what you are getting into before you play.

It might help if within their point system a win (5pts) was worth more than a perma kill (10 pts). But otherwise I see no harm... although I was quite sad to find out that when I killed one of them by pushing them into my fan section that I didn't get a 10 point deduction for my opponent.
 Jump to: