33 coaches online • Server time: 07:08
Forum Chat
Recent Forum Topics goto Post TSC Draftgoto Post 4,000TV!goto Post IBA Draft League
SearchSearch 
View previous topic Log in to check your private messages View next topic
Adar

Post   Posted: Apr 07, 2005 - 17:30 Reply with quote Back to top

keggiemckill wrote:
He probably thought that the singer Uncle Cracker was just a really good uncle, rather than a red necked uncle. Just for all you guys who don't know Uncle Cracker, he is the guy who sang the theme song for the movie Shrek.
Another synonym that doesn't go well over here is when a English person asks for a fag (cigerette.)

So I'd have to hope for a British approver when I submit a team named fag hunters?

Post   Posted: Apr 07, 2005 - 17:37 Reply with quote Back to top

Taffsadar wrote:

So I'd have to hope for a British approver when I submit a team named fag hunters?

no, i think if you were hoping to slip that one in you'd have to hope for a stupid approver

Csonti

Post 18 Posted: Apr 07, 2005 - 17:54 Reply with quote Back to top

My khemrian team was just refused by an aprover with the following note:

Your team (Bone to the Bone) has been disallowed.

Sorry, but your teamname is sexual offensive.
if you don't know why, read:
http://www.freesearch.co.uk/dictionary/bone+%28sex%29

This is just sick... Razz
AFK_Eagle

Post   Posted: Apr 07, 2005 - 18:00 Reply with quote Back to top

Mezir wrote:
I probably speak more Swahili than 99% of the people on this site, what with having lived in East Africa.

Asante sana.

Squashed banana...hakuna matata...all I ever need to know of that dialect I learned in Disney's "Lion King"...

Post   Posted: Apr 07, 2005 - 18:08 Reply with quote Back to top

Csonti wrote:
My khemrian team was just refused by an aprover with the following note:

Your team (Bone to the Bone) has been disallowed.

if you don't know why, read:
http://www.freesearch.co.uk/dictionary/bone+%28sex%29

This is just sick... Razz

I can understand a team named Boning the ladies, that would be offensive, but not Bone to the Bone. Try- Bone 2 the Bone. Maybe that will work. Maybe Bone should be removed from all school books if it meens that content.

Jeffro
Captain1821

Post   Posted: Apr 07, 2005 - 18:38 Reply with quote Back to top

It looks like this is a Bone-head topic.
Guys, take a fag and relax.

Post   Posted: Apr 07, 2005 - 21:37 Reply with quote Back to top

Bonez 2 Men is one of those names that you could submit totally innocently (an Undead team, a play on popular singing group Boyz 2 Men) but get read totally, totally, horribly wrong.

Post   Posted: Apr 07, 2005 - 21:46 Reply with quote Back to top

haha, Bonez 2 Men. Im going to call my next team the Hammer Hawks. Its a term used to refer to a female prison guard that likes to keep an extra eye on the guys when they are in the shower.

I can certtainly see the problem. Language is alot of context and sub context. Eurepoeans just dont get subtle meanings of certain english terms and references. same for NA's. Bound to happen some teams are going to slip by with questionable team names. The more the merrier I say. I would not be offended by teams names called the Crackers or Trailor Park Trash or White Wife Beaters Club or We Like McDonalds. but, Im white trash and proud of it.

Post   Posted: Apr 07, 2005 - 21:50 Reply with quote Back to top

Lol. How about the Back street Bonez? I guess that wouldn't work either.

Jeffro
BadMrMojo

Post   Posted: Apr 07, 2005 - 21:55 Reply with quote Back to top

Csonti wrote:
...Your team (Bone to the Bone) has been disallowed.

I can't help but disagree with that one. Even a blatantly intentional innuendo is ok in my book - the rules are specifically against explicitly offensive (or explicitly dull Smile ) names - and that seems like a pretty forced comparison. You really have to stretch to imagine that Bone to the Bone (especially in the context of an all-skeleton team!) is about an obscure niche of deviant sex acts.

That does raise the important issue, however, that there are multiple people with multiple opinions behind making this work. The more we try to legislate the guidelines, the more people's opinions will vary.

If you get a team name rejected, you shouldn't just try to slip it past a different approver - that's not what I'm saying at all. It's just plain disrespectful. I have, however, had people come back to me and say, "Hey. I really believe that's not such a fair decision because of X, Y and Z." in which case I've always tried to reconsider my initial decision. Just don't try to argue, "Well that team did it!" because the approver you are speaking to may not have been the one who made the decision you're referring to.

Moral of the story: don't try to sneak stuff past (that just makes me bitter and jaded and more likely to refuse everything, as a rule), but if you think something harmless is unfairly rejected, simply ask about it.

Post   Posted: Apr 07, 2005 - 22:00 Reply with quote Back to top

BadMrMojo wrote:
Csonti wrote:
...Your team (Bone to the Bone) has been disallowed.

I can't help but disagree with that one. Even a blatantly intentional innuendo is ok in my book - the rules are specifically against explicitly offensive (or explicitly dull Smile ) names - and that seems like a pretty forced comparison. You really have to stretch to imagine that Bone to the Bone (especially in the context of an all-skeleton team!) is about an obscure niche of deviant sex acts.

That does raise the important issue, however, that there are multiple people with multiple opinions behind making this work. The more we try to legislate the guidelines, the more people's opinions will vary.

If you get a team name rejected, you shouldn't just try to slip it past a different approver - that's not what I'm saying at all. It's just plain disrespectful. I have, however, had people come back to me and say, "Hey. I really believe that's not such a fair decision because of X, Y and Z." in which case I've always tried to reconsider my initial decision. Just don't try to argue, "Well that team did it!" because the approver you are speaking to may not have been the one who made the decision you're referring to.

Moral of the story: don't try to sneak stuff past (that just makes me bitter and jaded and more likely to refuse everything, as a rule), but if you think something harmless is unfairly rejected, simply ask about it.

And if you are still having a problem go see badmrmojo Smile

Christer

Post   Posted: Apr 07, 2005 - 22:02
FUMBBL Staff
Reply with quote Back to top

Indeed, I am inclined to agree with BadMrMojo on this one. I wouldn't disallow a team called "Bone to the Bone" either. The intent of the naming rule isn't to come up with various long-sought ways to call things offensive.

Maybe the approver in question just had a bad day or something Smile
thesquig

Post   Posted: Apr 07, 2005 - 22:05 Reply with quote Back to top

I had a 4v4 team called the bearded ladys turned down. It said it was offensive and had a bad theme or something. I didnt mind so much since I found it hilarious! I dunno, but from where I come from bearded ladys are very rare Wink

PurpleChest

Post 12 Posted: Apr 07, 2005 - 22:06
FUMBBL Staff
Reply with quote Back to top

(Raises hand)

I'm Spartacus.

T'was I that allowed 'Bitches of Eastwick' and I'd do it again.

(unless asked not to)

Not because it refered to female dogs.

A 'Bitch' is someone that speaks ill of another, and by usage also a woman that is ruthless and hard hearted. In modern usage we have 'super bitch' 'queen bitch' and 'soap bitch' all of which while having negative associations could not be said to be entirely negative. I therefore adjudged that the name was 'close to the line' but not over it as the term can and will be read in 'heat' magazine regularly. If we let mentally challenged people use the term freely society has clearly already deemed it non offensive.

Also 'Bitches of Eastwick' may be a lame pun, but the intention at humour is clearly there. 'All women are Bitches' 'My Fine Bitches' and similar names i probably wouldn't pass as the intent to offend is clearly there.
thesquig

Post   Posted: Apr 07, 2005 - 22:06 Reply with quote Back to top

Christer wrote:
Maybe the approver in question just had a bad day or something Smile

This in my opinion is totally acceptable as a reason. Everyone has bad days, right?

Jump to: