49 coaches online • Server time: 18:11
Forum Chat
Recent Forum Topics goto Post Finishing the 60 Gam...goto Post TSC Draftgoto Post 4,000TV!
SearchSearch 
View previous topic Log in to check your private messages View next topic
paulhicks

Post   Posted: Apr 28, 2005 - 21:44 Reply with quote Back to top

just out of interest the rules for blood bowl do state that the hiring of stars is one of the last things done before the game starts (long after it is agreed). presumably this is why it works this way on fumbbl too.....

.... hmmm ive got de ja vu (sry for the spelling). how many times have we done this thread now?

EDIT: LOL, once again i am beaten to make a point by seconds...

Post   Posted: Apr 28, 2005 - 22:11 Reply with quote Back to top

Imerikol wrote:
The admins allow this to more close mimic the actual game. If they wanted to go a step further, they would give you a pop-up to hire stars after you connect.

Ironically, the only time I can ever remember having someone do this to me, it was an admin. Bloody Nobbla... Made for a fun game.

I think that should probably be the final word on the "is it legal" question.

I probably wouldn't do it myself (except perhaps in a tourney, where it doesn't really matter anyway) but each to their own.

It's ok if you don't like it but no reason to start slinging muck at people. It's a legal, if shady, play. Cope and move on.

Post   Posted: Apr 28, 2005 - 22:12 Reply with quote Back to top

Vote for Paulhicks, he's the perfect politician.
After he pummels your favorite team into dirty blood puddles he still can make you smile with his wit, I mean cmon Thor Thunderpants. Best name for a world leader I've ever heard.

Post   Posted: Apr 28, 2005 - 22:24 Reply with quote Back to top

This is not the board game. Yes I know we all know that.
If you where playing in the board game at home and someone hired a
star player for the match, what would you do?
Leave? Confused Pack up your players and go home?
Start a fight? Twisted Evil Beg/talk him out of it? Rolling Eyes

"you guys are scaring me now"
Look he is concerned, what a great trait!!
Paulhicks for King of Bloodbowl!!! Very Happy

Post   Posted: Apr 29, 2005 - 00:11 Reply with quote Back to top

Problem is, the client and the site are two separate things, so it is not possible (or maybe it is possible but it sure is not easy at all, guess ski and christer are the ones to ask about it) to implement a pop-up screen to hire stars afer you connect. And the starting game steps allow to hire stars after agreeing to the game, so forbidding it would mean going against the lrb. That is why this lame stuff is not against the rules.
Azurus

Post   Posted: Apr 29, 2005 - 00:20 Reply with quote Back to top

I don't think there would be any trouble with client/site problems, I reckon it would be a purely client thing. The only thing the site would need to know is the cost, the player can be added and removed again in the pre and post match sequences. (And it handles zombies alright)

So the question is: does Ski have the time? I'd guess probably not. Having said that, if a vault client ever gets made he'd have to do this anyway to cover inducements, so he might retro-fit the code for that into an LRB version if enough people want it.

Post   Posted: Apr 29, 2005 - 00:44 Reply with quote Back to top

I'd probably tell someone I was planning to buy a star before doing it, but that's just because I suffer from terminal politeness. I don't have any problem with someone doing it against me, though. It's legal, and it's my own lazy fault for not checking how much cash they had. If they don't spend it, it's wasted - and it still counts for TR.

Ranked has too much complaining, I'm sticking to U for the time being - even if I'm playing on my own. Which I am. More U teams. Challenge me.

Post   Posted: Apr 29, 2005 - 01:02 Reply with quote Back to top

Bah why complain and whine on things that is a part of the game.... foul=people complain but hey its a part of it Star player=people complain...and here too a part of the game... Its not called BLOOD bowl for nothing.... if u feel taht u lost a game u think u should have won just because the star player... get over it and just tell ure opponent taht u would like to be told in the future, then get over it and stop whining, take it like the man ure not Wink sometimes Star players just evens out the odds, perhaps it did in ure game, from feeling "im gonna crush him" to "shit i lost to a lesser team and coach" then i say LOL
Wizard

Post   Posted: Apr 29, 2005 - 02:24 Reply with quote Back to top

keggiemckill:
Quote:
But you can't avoid a guy who sneaks under your nose and buys a star player without announcing it.

Quote:
I am kind of miffed at fumbbl. Something like this turns me off of the whole online BB.

i think you guys are missing the BLOOD in blood bowl.
the game IS sneaky and underhanded in nature (secret weapons, fouling etc.)? why the hell bring in your own morals and try to inflict them on everyone else?
You know the rules, stop the whinning.

Post   Posted: Apr 29, 2005 - 02:30 Reply with quote Back to top

nooooooo he did the BLOOD bowl bit Laughing

Post   Posted: Apr 29, 2005 - 02:38 Reply with quote Back to top

last year, I had an infatuation with Khemri's star player 'Ramtut'. I knew most players would not like to face 5 mummies, so I kept the money is reserve, and spent on Ramtut after the game was agreed upon adn while my opponent hosted the game.

The following comments I would get were hilarious - "oh...you have a star player" - this comment was usually followed by the destruction of his team - the inclusion of the SP threw off his game because he had not prepared for it.

While this was fun for me tricking the other player (I don't do this now by the way; I've matured), I think it should be OUTLAWED. It is pretty dirty. I mean look at rugby union in Australia. The actual team is announced a day before the game! FUMMBL it needs to be changed.

Sure, if your experienced you should be aware; but think of the new players getting abused due to this lack of knowledge by people who in the past have included me. This outweighs the argument. We should help newbies as much as possible to enjoy the site. Not give sharks another avenue for exploitation because if its there we will use it.

Last edited by blitzwing on %b %29, %2005 - %02:%Apr; edited 2 times in total
paulhicks

Post   Posted: Apr 29, 2005 - 02:41 Reply with quote Back to top

but in rugby union the game has already been agreed before the teams are decided.... just like blood bowl Very Happy

Post   Posted: Apr 29, 2005 - 02:45 Reply with quote Back to top

AIIIYYIPPPPAAAA

whatever hicks said Smile

my point still stands
keggiemckill

Post   Posted: Apr 29, 2005 - 06:44 Reply with quote Back to top

I hate being told to "just deal with it. It's Blood Bowl." In the table top you still have to announce that you have bought a star player. Am I correct? Not just place the guy on the field and say SURPRISE! You still have to tell him. I had the money to buy a star as well, but then I got stuck with my pants down. I am not bitter about losing, infact I told him if he cared so much about winning then he could have the game. Just check out my record to see how much I care about winning. You can call me a bad player or whatever. I like to play guys whos soul purpose is to kill every guy that you have. Ask Paul "The king of BB" how many times Ive refused a game because of his team. Ask Da_Todd_fatha how many times I bring my elves up against his orcs.
I am most likely the only guy to go on the EMU chat line and bodly tell them " I am here to pick a fight."
I am going to restate it: Any one who doesn't represent his roster properely is a coward. You are a coward because you don't have the guts to challenge guys to an upfront fight. I have bought a Death Roller with my dwarf team to find out that no one will play me. So what do I do when I can't get a game with my dwarf team? I challenge Pauls DMU wrecking crew. We have yet to hook up, but atleast he will know what I have put on the table.
Maybe my morals should be kept to myself. I guess this isn't the place for morals. Then playing for fun isn't the way to go either. Its the first time this has happened to me. Live and Learn. Ill be more careful in the future. I guess Im bitter about being bamboozled. Its a terrible thing to be out smarted by a stupid person.

Jeffro
origami

Post   Posted: Apr 29, 2005 - 06:48 Reply with quote Back to top

Relax a little. Maybe try taking a break from Fumbbl for a while, 'cause when you start taking it this seriously, it stops being fun.
 Jump to: