32 coaches online • Server time: 10:57
Forum Chat
Recent Forum Topics goto Post My 1st Blackbox tour...goto Post Finishing the 60 Gam...goto Post Borg Invasion
SearchSearch 
View previous topic Log in to check your private messages View next topic
Poll
What do you think of CR in Ranked?
I love it, shows how good a coach I am!
10%
 10%  [ 29 ]
I like it, but its open to cherrypicking
29%
 29%  [ 81 ]
I dont pay much attention to it
36%
 36%  [ 99 ]
I dont play in ranked because of it!
9%
 9%  [ 25 ]
Other reason
5%
 5%  [ 14 ]
more flowers!
9%
 9%  [ 25 ]
Total Votes : 273

JanMattys

Post   Posted: Jan 24, 2006 - 16:33 Reply with quote Back to top

Well, I greeted him warmly in General chat last week.

You are pwned!

Post   Posted: Jan 24, 2006 - 16:47 Reply with quote Back to top

Quite interesting poll, wethere you are against CR or you look like an idiot.

CR will eventually reflet how you play, always. I play 20 matches in Ranked that alter my CR +1 or -1 and in any oficial fumbbl torunament i can gain 10 or lose them. At this moment my 191 CR only reflects my half finals in the Fumbbl Cup IV, and my two consecutive wins in a RRR and a Smack.

Open games influence little on your ranking, altough the more games you play , closer it will be to what you deserve, even if you don't care about CR. Stating that there are good players with less than 150 rating is just hilarious, it's like stating that a chess player who doens't care about rankings will lose his games due to that. If you are good, you win most of your games. Simple as that. Ranked is the soul of Fumbbl, and the oficial tournaments the cherry on top.

Why does a guy that likes winning gets an idiot poll to vote, but one that likes rolling 2d6 that by destiny gets called Fouling is the one having fun?

Last edited by Pmg on %b %24, %2006 - %16:%Jan; edited 2 times in total
Mully

Post   Posted: Jan 24, 2006 - 16:49 Reply with quote Back to top

Quote:

If you are good, you win most of your games.

If you are good at "picking games", you will win most of your games.

Post   Posted: Jan 24, 2006 - 16:50 Reply with quote Back to top

But as we all know, there are rank whores and people who play for the love of the game and deep down there is a rank whore in all of us. Afterall its nice to know you're good at something even if it isnt your main objective.

Macavity

Post   Posted: Jan 24, 2006 - 16:53 Reply with quote Back to top

JanMattys wrote:
Well, I greeted him warmly in General chat last week.

You are pwned!

Well, boys you are all much better than I. I'm just happy to see someone overcome a debilitating addiction, alright? Razz

Post   Posted: Jan 24, 2006 - 17:00 Reply with quote Back to top

Yeah. Fumbbl, as opposed to WoW, is not addictive!

Uhm...
Err...
Rolling Eyes

Post   Posted: Jan 24, 2006 - 17:07 Reply with quote Back to top

Trust me, I wander by folk at work who can discuss nothing but their characters. "Anything new, James?", "I levelled, but got PKd by some alliance campers I ran into." "Ooookkkaayy... I'm leaving now."

Post   Posted: Jan 24, 2006 - 17:29 Reply with quote Back to top

I agree. I quit a WoW a few months ago, then smoking and now I'm on a bit of a fitness kick. Lost well over a stone since the beginning of December.

By the end WoW had turned into a cesspit of near-psychotic morons who'd lost all touch with reality and I'd advise people to stay well clear of it.

I prefer this cesspit.

I also accept no responsability for Macavity's online ramblings.
Dravaal

Post   Posted: Jan 24, 2006 - 17:31 Reply with quote Back to top

I've never worried about CR, and never will. I think it's pretty sad if you're overly concerned by it.

I myself have an awesome CR upon inspection.
Darkwolf

Post   Posted: Jan 24, 2006 - 17:47 Reply with quote Back to top

I look at CR and win percentage to see how good my opponent really is. Ive noticved a few coaches with 50-55% win percentage with 170+cr probably scored a few upsets, but may not be a skilled player. I also notice that alot of coaches with high win percentage and high CR tend to avoid playing me.

There are still rank whores and cherry pickers around here in droves. They just disguise themselves or cloud/divert attention from their actions. I do care about my coach ranking in that it shows my consistancy in play over a period of time. I am more concerned about playing fair games and fun opponents. I only win 2/3 games at my peak.

Post   Posted: Jan 24, 2006 - 17:48 Reply with quote Back to top

Macavity wrote:
Trust me, I wander by folk at work who can discuss nothing but their characters. "Anything new, James?", "I levelled, but got PKd by some alliance campers I ran into." "Ooookkkaayy... I'm leaving now."

Select an action for Macavity
Normal move selected.
DODGE BEFORE RE_ROLL: Macavity knocked over trying to dodge.
TARGET: 3 --- ROLL: 1 + 0 = 1
Team re-roll used.
DODGE FINAL RESULT: Giacomo "Pirco" Barbieri
TARGET: 3 --- ROLL: 1 + 0 = 1
Macavity is knocked over.
(6, 6) + 0, (6, 6) + 0, 6: Macavity has been KILLED!!

...I really suggest you try to blitz out of position. Can't you get any assist?

Post   Posted: Jan 24, 2006 - 19:03 Reply with quote Back to top

heh, well wasnt intending the poll as a serious option, more sarcasm, with flowers Wink

some folks seem to think its directly aimed at them when I say I dont like CR and some folk use it to their benefit, like a famous wizard does... Wink I know coaches like smess, darkwolf, purplechest etc would slap me about the field anyday with some style, I dont need CR to tell me that! Im a happy go lucky coach, put in 60-90 second turns, chat away during the opponents turn, i had a good run in the green horn tourney, even in ranked i rarely stall, ill happily run the ball in as soon as possible, I mean what fun is it for my opponent to watch me stall for the win? I like to see my opponent have fun as well as I do, even if ive never ever met them. Now, if CR was actually used in Faction, then thats great, its a competitive league, and you need to keep a team at their best to do well in it, IMHO, CR's home should be in Faction, CR is fine in Ranked (Im surely not going to lose sleep over it, I know coaches who play ranked lightheartedly, and if i play ranked, ill seek them out and play, for the fun, and the CR is secondary to the fun I have, wipe my CR to 150, I honestly wont mind! but usually ill just concede if im up against a powergamer, staller, slow silent player!

CR in faction (in a tiered format?) is good, as it rewards skillful play, its harder to dodge matches if you want to stay up in the elite league, still it doesnt discourage that sort of play, but thats OK in Faction, isnt it supposed to be the best test you will get as a coach? it seems a bit redundant in ranked Wink

guys, lets not get carried away with it all here, nobody is saying you cherrypick etc etc, some do yes, im not going to lose sleep over it

If a ranking system exists that isnt so serious, and doesnt encourage beardy play, by some folk, I cant keep tabs on everyone, but you do get the odd game like that, ill happily play stunty and the odd ranked game with fun coaches I know (not saying any of the top 10 arent fun, no way, didnt say that at all!)
SnakeSanders

Post   Posted: Jan 24, 2006 - 19:05 Reply with quote Back to top

woot! just noticed i got into darkwolfs bio! I knew id get there someday, now who is next? ^^
Synn

Post   Posted: Jan 24, 2006 - 19:28 Reply with quote Back to top

I actually like the CR system just as a general guideline. I don't use it to make decisions about games since I do not require the sight of that little number next to Smess's name to know he is an utter badass. Whenever i ask for a game against a high CR coach i make sure they know that i am in it for a challenge.

Something i enjoy doing is tracking down the people higher then me on the championship page and playing them. Laughing The monthly standing is harder to manipulate via RRR or smacks.

Hell.... i made an ogre team called "there goes my CR". If anyone wants a high cr then they should just use low level zons and retire them after ten meatches.

Blood on the pitch,
__Synn
Webbe

Post   Posted: Jan 24, 2006 - 19:48 Reply with quote Back to top

I rarely play ranked because I don't like the open system when you can choose who to play. But when I do play it it's always to get higher CR and I try to cherrypick and tweak my TR/TS as much as possible doing so (I see it as a part of the game going for the goal in gaining CR which ranked is all about for me).

I feel that a lot of coaches don't play for CR though and I think ranked and unranked should change places. Unranked would be the main place to play random games for fun (a thing that most coaches enjoy but I really think is a waste of time) and ranked would be a smaller division where everyones goal was to get as high CR as possible. Maybe also give a medal or some other price to the coach with highest CR each month (or maybe the coach that gained most CR that month).
 Jump to: