27 coaches online • Server time: 12:17
Forum Chat
Recent Forum Topics goto Post Finishing the 60 Gam...goto Post Borg Invasiongoto Post GIF Guide
SearchSearch 
View previous topic Log in to check your private messages View next topic
Snorri

Post   Posted: Mar 17, 2006 - 05:15 Reply with quote Back to top

Rabid_Bogscum wrote:
Didnt mean to stir up a hornets nest.. and apologies if Im mistaken but I thought I recalled clay mentioning at the start of this season he would review how fumbll worked out their tie-breakers to see if we would be just as happy with that

http://fumbbl.com/index.php?name=PNphpBB2&file=viewtopic&t=6332&postdays=0&postorder=asc&start=270

I'm quite happy with the tie-breaks as they are actually. The first check is the head-to-head result and nothing would be better than that. So bollocks to fumbbl if they do anything else! Wink SWL glory is where its at!

Best place to advertise your tourney win are on your Team's bio itself. Or make yourself a custom team logo graphic with the details!

As for forfeits, we admins had a chat in earnest about giving teams that cop forfeits in a countback. Ultimately there were two key points

1) We want to discourage forfeits as much as possible. If everyone recognises that they're a bad thing on a tiebreak count, then it will only discourage people further from not working hard at arranging their games.

2) The forfeits that do happen, are from a larger perspective, random. They dont single out particular coaches, or a particular race. Its an effect that in the long term, is the same for all of us. Since it isn't affecting any group specifically, we thought it best to leave it as is in light of 1). Bit like the draw you get in a division. Some seasons the sequence of games will be really rough, other seasons it will be easier. Shit happens!
Laviak

Post   Posted: Mar 17, 2006 - 05:24 Reply with quote Back to top

*I'm gonna go see about this editing of scores in old tournaments business.... back with findings in a bit Wink

Laviak

Post   Posted: Mar 17, 2006 - 05:36 Reply with quote Back to top

Well, it turns out that you *can* edit the scores (as I did here: http://fumbbl.com/FUMBBL.php?page=group&op=view&at=0&group=3322&show=11639), however, you can't change which team is marked as having *won* the tournament ... so it's not really all that useful Razz
You can also swap teams, but the result is the same (you still can't change which team is marked as having won the tournament.

Ah well, it was worth a try...

Virral

Post   Posted: Mar 17, 2006 - 06:12 Reply with quote Back to top

Is it just me, or do all roads lead to the rules page on Fumbbl right now?

EDIT: Nevermind, i finally scrolled right down to the bottom and saw the "Accept" button... needless to say this is the first time they have changed the rules like that since I started with fumbbl...

Post   Posted: Mar 17, 2006 - 06:15 Reply with quote Back to top

LOL - this had me stumped for a little while too Virral Smile

Post   Posted: Mar 17, 2006 - 06:16 Reply with quote Back to top

I just automatically assumed someone had cocked something up, never occured to me that it was on purpose Smile

Post   Posted: Mar 17, 2006 - 08:03 Reply with quote Back to top

Important News

In an effort to keep the SWL fresh, exciting and vibrant, I have appointed two new Coaches to the official "SWL Admin Crew".

OldBugman and theopacman have gracefully accepted the invitations and as such can be considered as "official" in their words of wisdom.

Having said that, they are newbies to the role, and in particularly theo's case I havent given him the passwords to the emails etc etc, so he really still has no idea! Razz

Please congratulate these guys and also be aware that there are many of you who are great contributors to the SWL and were considered for this invitation as well. Just can't have too many cooks as the saying goes....

Clay
Laviak

Post   Posted: Mar 17, 2006 - 08:04 Reply with quote Back to top

Virral wrote:
...never occured to me that it was on purpose

i actually saw the forum topic Overview - Please Reread Rules (was Possible minor prob) first, and thought that it was highly amusing (a good edit by whichever admin did so) Wink

Edit: added quote.

Last edited by Laviak on %b %17, %2006 - %08:%Mar; edited 1 time in total
Laviak

Post   Posted: Mar 17, 2006 - 08:07 Reply with quote Back to top

Uh congratulations? You mean commiserations don't you clay Laughing
These poor buggers probably don't know what they're in for, do they...

Well, congratulations it is boys! Seriously. Very Happy

tribalsinner

Post   Posted: Mar 17, 2006 - 08:20 Reply with quote Back to top

Congrats guys!

Post   Posted: Mar 17, 2006 - 08:22 Reply with quote Back to top

ClayInfinity wrote:
Important News

In an effort to keep the SWL fresh, exciting and vibrant, I have appointed two new Coaches to the official "SWL Admin Crew".

Shouldn't we have chosen some fresh, exciting and vibrant admins then ? Laughing

Grat's anyway you guys. You have a difficult tradition to follow and I'm sure you'll discharge your duties as diligently and dare I say, as ruthlessly, as the current mob Wink

Kudos to you.
celas

Post   Posted: Mar 17, 2006 - 15:38 Reply with quote Back to top

A few questions for you guys as I ponder decisions to be made in the NWL...

1. Do you allow stars to play in your league and if so, what has your experience with them been like (i.e., everything is fine, too unbalancing, etc.)?

2. Do you have a limit on DP skill or on fouling in general? Any overall comments would be appreciated on whether this is an issue in your league.

Sorry if it seems like I am hijacking your thread a bit. I want honest opinions from people not involved in NWL (hell, even I might be biased a bit), but also experienced in a similar style of tournament.

Post   Posted: Mar 17, 2006 - 21:37 Reply with quote Back to top

Celas,

The base principal of the SWL is that anything in the LRB is fair game.

Stars are hired with regularity, particularly with big games at the end of the seasons. But with only 7 game seasons there isnt alot of time for teams to hoard cash to be able to afford them. I would say overall that Stars are not an issue here in the SWL.

Regarding DP, see above. We have had a couple of teams go the Fouling route in which every lineman gets DP. It is a tactic and fairly effective, but none of these teams have won the SWL. We have our classic Claw/RSC/MBlow death merchant teams (hell I coach a poor excuse for one of those atm!) and we've had guard/mblow/standfirm Dwarf teams as well. The way we counter that is that we use the Racial Balance Roster and the Draft to ensure that you have an equal chance to meet one of these death merchant teams or a ball playing elf team. Also it helps that the guys focused on the man and not the ball do tend to play up to it and use a lot of "fluff" to justify it.

We had a long term issue that Dwarf/Orc/CD teams ruled the SWL with an iron fist, but we have just had a DE team win the title for the 2nd time and we now have our first Zon team in the Premier Division for next season. I think thats a credit to the rules we have developed over the seasons.

Check out the variety of teams that have won the SWL Premier Division here in our Hall of Champions
Wallace

Post   Posted: Mar 17, 2006 - 22:03 Reply with quote Back to top

The SWL is very competative so if you are too focused on team wrecking and not on winning games then you will get relegated and have to strip your TR down. Forget the horrors of Ranked, BloodBowl is very different (and much much better) in this kind of environment.
Snorri

Post   Posted: Mar 18, 2006 - 05:15 Reply with quote Back to top

We actually talked about dp/claw restrictions back when we were looking for solutions to fix the bashiness of the league (SWL 8 or so). In the end, we decided to fix the racial balance first and see how things would develop from that. So far its been great, prem division has been close, varied and extremely competitive for 5 seasons running. Has been good to see necro teams and now a zon team make it to prem as well! I think so long as you have racial balance and you take care not to dump that nurgle or pro elf team in a group completely stacked with bashy teams - it will remain fine without needing any extra rules.

Ive been implementing a dp/claw restriction in our Fringe thunderdome tournament to try and encourage some alternative team management and get away from the reductive nature of it. So far it doesn't seem to have crippled the bashy teams - they're still winning and thumping others with regularity and the elves certainly aren't dominating. So I think its also a viable route, but I suspect too many people enjoy their dp/claw fetishes to want to play under such a rule if its not necessary. They'd also have to survive the inquisition for playing a heretical non lrb version of bloodbowl if our Holy Priest of the LRB (Clay!) found out about it Wink
 Jump to: