21 coaches online • Server time: 03:24
Forum Chat
Recent Forum Topics goto Post Making Assassins mor...goto Post New Team Page Betagoto Post ramchop takes on the...
SearchSearch 
View previous topic Log in to check your private messages View next topic
AFK_Eagle

Post   Posted: May 27, 2004 - 17:35 Reply with quote Back to top

Different direction of conversation...

When creating a new team, you need to submit at least 11 players. What if I instead buy 9 permanent players, and freeboot 2 more at half price? I have 11 total players, and that extra 50k saved can go towards an apo, a rr, upgrading a linerat to a positional, etc. Sure, in game two you'd lose the extra two, but with any luck your improved regulars will have netted you enough winnings to replace one or even both of them, and in the meantime you've got a jump start on your stars earning sp's, and that first game the LOS will be the freebooters taking the punishment, meaning less for your stars. Is this legal? Or do I have to have 11 permanent players to get my team approved by the admins?

Post   Posted: May 27, 2004 - 17:54 Reply with quote Back to top

I believe that FUMBBL doesn't allow an unapproved team to buy freebooters yet and you can't submit your team for approval unless you have 11 players. In short, it's not necessarily a bad idea but you can't do it on FUMBBL.

Please correct me if I'm wrong.

The primary use of such a setup, however, is somewhat mitigated by the open format. Usually that's most useful if you're taking a low AV team and you know your first game will be against a nasty one - ie: 'Zons vs developed Dwarves or something like that. As it is, you can pick your own opponent and you usually have a decent chance of choosing one that won't chew your team up and spit it out (in the first match, at least).

I'm not endorsing perpetual cherrypicking here, just noting that rookie teams don't have face advanced ones in their first match, if you're concerned enough to want to freeboot linemen for fodder.

Post   Posted: May 27, 2004 - 18:38 Reply with quote Back to top

mojo wrote:

I believe that FUMBBL doesn't allow an unapproved team to buy freebooters yet and you can't submit your team for approval unless you have 11 players. In short, it's not necessarily a bad idea but you can't do it on FUMBBL.

The way I read the LRB you aren't allowed to do that at all. A new roster MUST have 11 permanent players, at least. I consider it as, you can't start a new ball club unless you have enough people to field.

Asperon Thorn
Steiner

Post   Posted: May 27, 2004 - 19:35 Reply with quote Back to top

you're damn right, mojo. you can't hire any players before aour team's approved.

but what make this thread that worse is another problem:
Darkwolf wrote:
Plus, where was this post when I was new and didn't know how to play or make teams Wink

why are thoose newbees getting so lazy? ok, i had the advantage to know someone who was allready fumbbl-memeber in rl, but, before aou play bb, read the lrb. it's a free download, at least the english version. second, read that damn fumbbl user guide and the faq's, that's what there are for, helping new coaches (and the older ones as well, by the way).
so what is this thread for?
Uber

Post   Posted: May 27, 2004 - 20:04 Reply with quote Back to top

Tenjou_Utena wrote:

In one game the 1 FF will probably take home 11,754 + Standard Gate Earnings(tm).

In one game the 9 F will take home 15,785 + Standard Gate Earnings.

Therefore, on average, Your second game you are behind by 3,800 going with 1 FF vs. 9, assuming you win.

I dont know where you get these numbers or what you think they mean, but let's just go over this exemple.

@ TR100 FF9 vs. FF9 = avg. crowd of 63K -> +3 winnings
FF9 vs. FF1 = avg. crowd of 35K -> +1 to winnings

To me that means you're starting at a 20K disadvantage on the modifier. If you play 3 games in the 100-125 bracket that will mean you'll have lost 60K for absolutely nothing. A solid team needs good winnings early to develop quickly and then be able to last. If you don't have that, you're going to be in great pain when you'll reach 200TR and can hardly make 10K a game. Then you'll lose player, you'll age and never be able to replace anything.

I think starting a team below FF5 should NOT be allowed on Fumbbl.

Post   Posted: May 27, 2004 - 20:38 Reply with quote Back to top

uber wrote:

I think starting a team below FF5 should NOT be allowed on Fumbbl.

Then again, it's not like teams with FF 2 or 3 get much in the way of games - the 9 FF teams don't generally like to lose that 20K either...
Tenjou_Utena

Post   Posted: May 28, 2004 - 07:20 Reply with quote Back to top

>Where do I get the numbers?

Above the part you quoted I described how one fan factor adds 1,754 ON AVERAGE to each game.

In the calculations I'm also assuming for arguments sake that the team that starts with 1 FF is able to win their first games,
and that the team with 9 FF is goign to loose.
So those numbers are their controllable share of the winnings (Assuming you can't control if the other team have 1 FF or 9)
vanGorn

Post   Posted: May 28, 2004 - 19:52 Reply with quote Back to top

I started my 1st team, a lizardmen team, with FF2 in a tournament. After W/D/L of 6/6/1 they are at FF6 now. But in 2 of these 13 matches I suffered two pitch invasions against my team. Mad Was it bad luck, or the grudge of Nuffle?
The cash-flow isn't the only matter to worry about, when the fan factor is low.
Znail

Post   Posted: Jul 31, 2004 - 08:22 Reply with quote Back to top

Starting out with alot of Fans is a good idea for any team. Its possible to skimp a few points incase its hard to get it to be even, but 9 FF is best.

Rerolls is not nearly as clearcut. Its nice to have, but its quite possible to buy more later. Its very dependant on race what you can afford. For Dark Elves or Wood Elves to get the 'minimum' of 9 FF and 2 rerolls so will you need a minimum of 9 linemen. You cant get all the positional players without kicking at least one lineman then and more if you dont want 16 players that eats up income. Having 16 players is often a waste. Retireing a Lineman to make room for one more player is a bigger loss then paying double for a reroll.

So my advice is get 9 FF, get as many rerolls as you can, but with the limit that you shouldnt get so many cheap linemen that you will have to retire some later.

There are of course exceptions for this advice too. Its a valid tactic to start a team with only linemen not so much to save money, but to make sure you get xp for your linemen. Linemen tend to get less xp in a team with positional players. But this is a long term plan that I wouldnt recomend to new players myself.
Cederlund

Post   Posted: Jul 31, 2004 - 08:37 Reply with quote Back to top

just to add my opinion
the differance between a 1ff and 9 ff (if your opponent has 9ff) isnt that much money imo, so in a league where people cant refuse to play you, its sometimes worth it
that extra positional player can make the differance enough to win the first few games, Ie gaining FF

this is what i think and what i have noticed
and i think refusing people for low ff is kinda stupid, especially with the 1 always fails rule
Jinxed

Post   Posted: Jul 31, 2004 - 09:48 Reply with quote Back to top

Agreed. Imagine you start with an ff of 8 and because dice hate your team it plummets to 4 or 5, despite a winning record.

If then people refuse to play you because your ff is low that kinda s***s.
marcusbay

Post   Posted: Jul 31, 2004 - 11:48 Reply with quote Back to top

the after match FF system is whack, take my dwarfs, 16 games, 11 wins 2 losses, 3draws, scored alot of 2+ td's per match for a dwarf team, always do alot of casualitys and my FF is -1 from its starting point, sorry but its crippling the team i got fireballed 2 matches ago, 1 RIP, 2 SI'ed and apoth failed, now i have 3 niggles and no money to replace players... EVIL system.
vanGorn

Post   Posted: Jul 31, 2004 - 12:35 Reply with quote Back to top

Well, success is not fully plannable.
The final word comes from the dice.
They can be cruel or generous, and their justice is severe but fair.
Jinxed

Post   Posted: Jul 31, 2004 - 12:55 Reply with quote Back to top

Severe? yes.

Fair?

No.
stargzrrag

Post   Posted: Jul 31, 2004 - 23:58 Reply with quote Back to top

vanGorn wrote:
I started my 1st team, a lizardmen team, with FF2 in a tournament. After W/D/L of 6/6/1 they are at FF6 now. But in 2 of these 13 matches I suffered two pitch invasions against my team. Mad Was it bad luck, or the grudge of Nuffle?
The cash-flow isn't the only matter to worry about, when the fan factor is low.

In a tournament it is even more vital to have a high ff. It is going to be more important to replace players fast in a tournament ( you don't have the luxury of a recovery game). Then as vanGorn mentions the pitch invasion, thrown rock, cheering fans factor is there as well. Pitch invasions can decide the outcome of a game. In a tournament, you can't afford to have a -8 or -9 on your opponent.
 Jump to: