46 coaches online • Server time: 14:15
Forum Chat
Recent Forum Topics goto Post Blood Bowl 2024 Edit...goto Post RNG speculationsgoto Post SWL Season CI
SearchSearch 
View previous topic Log in to check your private messages View next topic
Synn

Post   Posted: Nov 19, 2008 - 19:28 Reply with quote Back to top

Aero,

You make a very good point. Right now, if a CR 180 coach plays a CR 140 coach with fair teams, 9 out of 10 times the higher CR will win.

The current system makes such a matchup possible only if the CR 140 coach gets a significant advantage. The problem with this approach (in my and others opinion), is that CR will only matter up to a point. Handing the lower CR coach a huge TS advantage makes it likely that the higher CR coach, win or lose, is going to lose a portion of their team. Not only that, but what happens when its a CR 160 vs CR 180 coach? At that level of CR.... a 20 CR difference really doesn't mean much. Texan is an example of a coach who fluctuates in that range. I do too. If I draw Pigstar right now, his CR is 15 higher than mine. In BR terms, this could result in a matchup where me.... as the underdog... is getting a huge TS advantage. Rest assured such a matchup is not fair to him.

So the ultimate question is do the newer coaches want to play the experienced coaches only with a TS advantage? Long term, it cheapens these matches. The newer coaches aren't learning anything, and the pros will just point out "the only reason you won was that 20 TS advantage". If the matches are fair TS wise, then at least the lower CR/BR coach can earn their win knowing it was deserved. They also will learn a whole lot more.

I have been fortunate enough to mentor quite a few coaches on here. Mistermurphy, Meech, and Ro are three of my favorites. I NEVER offered to play them on unfair terms in their favor. Instead, they earned their wins against me and I would like to think became better coaches in the process.

Peace,
__Synn
Peter_Thorpe

Post   Posted: Nov 19, 2008 - 19:39 Reply with quote Back to top

hm...at the risk of killing the petition

/signed

Post   Posted: Nov 19, 2008 - 19:58
FUMBBL Staff
Reply with quote Back to top

aerofool wrote:
However, I can't see a CR 180 coach playing a CR 143 coach with identical teams anywhere near a fair and even match. ..... Leaving it at TS alone is not the answer!

Well, I aint the cherry you seek. If you want a game v me with uneven teams, you are going to go on waiting. Or I will, until you gain enough confidence to play better coaches. That may take a while as i dont think you'll learn as much, or as quickly, by beating up fellow newer players and the intelectually challenged as you would facing the better players.

But maybe you'll get a 'I am special' badge for beating all the quality opposition you plan to face.

Good luck with being the BIG fish in your tiny pond.

Post   Posted: Nov 19, 2008 - 20:05 Reply with quote Back to top

Ahhh!

/unagree shadow and Rizzle; /agree Synn!

He said it better than I have across three threads with half an argument each time. Very Happy
JanMattys

Post   Posted: Nov 19, 2008 - 20:11 Reply with quote Back to top

Synn said it nice.
Purple said it blunt.

But together they said what I think too.

Post   Posted: Nov 19, 2008 - 20:34 Reply with quote Back to top

/signed
Were_M_Eye

Post   Posted: Nov 19, 2008 - 20:34 Reply with quote Back to top

/signed

Post   Posted: Nov 19, 2008 - 20:49 Reply with quote Back to top

/signed
PainState

Post   Posted: Nov 19, 2008 - 20:58 Reply with quote Back to top

/signed

Post   Posted: Nov 19, 2008 - 21:07 Reply with quote Back to top

I think... we wouldn`t have the discussion if Christer had created a client that would adjust your luck according to your BR so that every low BR coach has unreal luck...
nin

Post   Posted: Nov 19, 2008 - 21:10 Reply with quote Back to top

/signed... mostly

PurpleChest idea about [R]anked quickmatch not using CR and BBox using it has a fault imho.
In [R]anked it may be good to have a way of getting a balanced match quickly. Getting an unbalanced one quickly is easy.
If BBox is meant to be a competitive division, I'd preffer BR to be left out of the formula.

Still, the "mostly" comes from a reflection on Synn's idea.
I can live with a BR that matters about 00x in the scheduling formula most of the time. That should be decisive only when most other things are not (Using it only for perfect coincidences with such numbers and the randomiced factor is a bit pointless)

Note: I meant a BR that has clearly not a great impact, not neccesarily +10- in a number the order of 10^3.
Note2: I don't know how much it weigths now.
Note3: same goes for racial factors, sometimes Amazons vs Dwarves is the best option, and Chaos should have rough starts.
Note4: I can live also with a BR that weights a lot more... that was just a rethoric figure.
treborius

Post   Posted: Nov 19, 2008 - 21:16 Reply with quote Back to top

/signed
Chewie

Post   Posted: Nov 19, 2008 - 21:29 Reply with quote Back to top

I'm not signing, because i'm not bothered either way. I'll just play who i'm matched up with.

But Synn has out done himself with that post. Mentor me. Smile
Lill-Leif

Post   Posted: Nov 19, 2008 - 21:31 Reply with quote Back to top

/signed
RandomOracle

Post   Posted: Nov 19, 2008 - 21:59 Reply with quote Back to top

/signed

I agree with Synn.
 Jump to: