24 coaches online • Server time: 02:56
Forum Chat
Recent Forum Topics goto Post Finishing the 60 Gam...goto Post ramchop takes on the...goto Post Borg Invasion
SearchSearch 
View previous topic Log in to check your private messages View next topic
Poll
How would you describe your position on this matter?
I use all tactics i need to to win and NEVER care when it's done back to me
28%
 28%  [ 72 ]
I'll happily use all tactics i need to but i must admit i do sometimes get annoyed by the tactics of others
16%
 16%  [ 42 ]
I'll use all tactics i need to.... until i no longer feel its needed and hope my opponent does the same
44%
 44%  [ 111 ]
I'll play how I want to and get annoyed if the opponent uses certain tactics that i dont like
10%
 10%  [ 25 ]
Total Votes : 250

Xanthania

Post   Posted: Nov 25, 2008 - 00:43 Reply with quote Back to top

torsoboy wrote:
Mattybee wrote:
If a 180 coach is fouling you abundantly, it's because it's part of his strategy. I doubt 180 players ignore the ball in order to kill.

I think the ref would spot 180 players on the field.

What if 180 fans got the ref, and then decided to play?
torsoboy

Post   Posted: Nov 25, 2008 - 10:39 Reply with quote Back to top

Xanthania wrote:
torsoboy wrote:
Mattybee wrote:
If a 180 coach is fouling you abundantly, it's because it's part of his strategy. I doubt 180 players ignore the ball in order to kill.

What if 180 fans got the ref, and then decided to play?

Better bring out the Warhammer Fantasy Battle rulebooks out then.

Post   Posted: Nov 25, 2008 - 10:59 Reply with quote Back to top

Mattybee wrote:

sure it is a part of a strategy, winning and fouling as much as possible to kill as many as possible, even if you can score one or two extra tds..
If you read what I wrote, you see that I didnt say he would ignore the ball, i said ignore extra tds, in order to kill some more.
besides you dont know what has happen, so you eather think im lying or you just think I have misunderstood.. dont be so naive and think that a 180 coach is such a nice guy all the time.. sure most of them are, but not all.
torsoboy

Post   Posted: Nov 25, 2008 - 11:03 Reply with quote Back to top

Scoring extra TDs just because you can isn't always a good idea. Too many spp will make your players age faster rather than make your team stronger. It depends on what team you're playing of course, I'd say a zombie peaks at 6spp, a longbeard at 16spp, an elf at 51spp.

Post   Posted: Nov 25, 2008 - 11:14 Reply with quote Back to top

True
is fouling is always a good idea ?
not if you want to have more matches against the same noob you kicked ass on last time
Mattybee

Post   Posted: Nov 25, 2008 - 12:28 Reply with quote Back to top

Nextflux wrote:
If you read what I wrote, you see that I didnt say he would ignore the ball, i said ignore extra tds, in order to kill some more.

This is called 'stalling' and is a well-known tactic. I'm not going to hand the ball right back to you if I can help it.

Nextflux wrote:
besides you dont know what has happen, so you eather think im lying or you just think I have misunderstood.. dont be so naive and think that a 180 coach is such a nice guy all the time.. sure most of them are, but not all.

I don't think they're necessarily 'nice'; I think that whatever they're doing is part of their plan to win. If you're making it really easy for them to throw lots of blocks and smash your guys up, well, everyone likes SPPs.
torsoboy

Post   Posted: Nov 25, 2008 - 12:50 Reply with quote Back to top

Nextflux wrote:
True
is fouling is always a good idea ?
not if you want to have more matches against the same noob you kicked ass on last time

Fouling isn't always the best thing to do either. However, once you've secured the win, it makes sense to protect your own players by fouling your opponent's dangerous players off the field. By such players I mean anything that has AV / Injury modifiers, MB, DP, Claw, RSC. Finally, if you don't score again once you've secured the win, you prevent another kickoff which means you don't have to allow your opponent to block three of your players.

Some coaches like to play "noobs" all the time, I don't quite see the appeal myself. Since this is FUMBBL, there are always more "noobs" to go around.

Post   Posted: Nov 25, 2008 - 13:01 Reply with quote Back to top

Mattybee wrote:
Nextflux wrote:

This is called 'stalling' and is a well-known tactic. I'm not going to hand the ball right back to you if I can help it.

Nextflux wrote:

I don't think they're necessarily 'nice'; I think that whatever they're doing is part of their plan to win. If you're making it really easy for them to throw lots of blocks and smash your guys up, well, everyone likes SPPs.

Gee you just dont get it do you?
I know what stalling is, and thats not what I have been discussing at all..
I have been discussing unessesary fouling not strategy..
untill you get that, I can't say I want to discuss this any further with you.
You assume too much of that its my fault rather than the exessive fouler opponent.
I am NOT talking in general I am talking about special incidents, special matches
Vampy

Post   Posted: Nov 25, 2008 - 13:18 Reply with quote Back to top

But I don't understand (and clearly I'm not alone here) what your point about 180 coaches is. I think you are trying to say that team killing is wrong by anyone unless you are prewarned but by 180 coaches it is even more unacceptable because they should be skilled enough to not do that.

But I still don't quite get your point. 180 coaches pretty much aren't team killers unless they happen to have a devastatingly nasty side such as a Chaos team loaded with RSC/Claw and DP. But then that's gonna be a bad choice of match unless you meet them in a tournament.

Team killers (as in ones who go out of their way to kill) don't win all that often. It's not easy to win when you are busy killing all the time and so 180 coaches, as mentioned, generally won't be like this.

But just for the record about myself (157ish coach atm), I don't go out of my way to kill teams. I enjoy it and really want to kill as many players as I can. But not above scoring a TD.

Ya ever know tho, for you I might make an exception Wink
odi

Post   Posted: Nov 25, 2008 - 13:22 Reply with quote Back to top

torsoboy wrote:
Mattybee wrote:

The problem is setting up 180 players with only 2 players on each sideline.
Nextflux

Post   Posted: Nov 25, 2008 - 13:25 Reply with quote Back to top

What I dont get is why is it so hard to accept that if I play against somone who kicks my ass, and at the same time foul alot, more than nessesary.
(and please dont question my judgement in this, I know what I see when I see it)

that I permanently blacklist this guy if hes over 180 CR, well at least untill I maybe get there myself..
Call it unfair, stupid whatever you like.. it doesnt help, Im not going to bend on this.

also I woun't give names to who it is, I just think its stupid thing to do.. and pitiful

I usually don't whine, at least not on the pitch..
also I don't play ass coaches!! is that so friggin hard to understand??
Beeing a wiseguy, and telling me its a part of somones stragegy or.. I am pituful to exclude ass coaches doesnt help eather
I draw my line where I like it.. so just accept it or sod off..
JanMattys

Post   Posted: Nov 25, 2008 - 13:28 Reply with quote Back to top

Nextflux wrote:
Mattybee wrote:
Nextflux wrote:

Nextflux wrote:

Gee you just dont get it do you?
I know what stalling is, and thats not what I have been discussing at all..
I have been discussing unessesary fouling not strategy..
untill you get that, I can't say I want to discuss this any further with you.
You assume too much of that its my fault rather than the exessive fouler opponent.
I am NOT talking in general I am talking about special incidents, special matches

Define "excessive".
I used to have the same idea as you, but quite changed my mind after honestly realizing there's hardly something "excessive" in a Bloodbowl game.

Once, I stopped fouling and blocking because the game was decided. My opponent was reduced to three players, all surrounded, and I had been sitting on his LoS stalling the last 2 turns. On his last turn, he stood up an Ogre and 1d blocked a lino of mine... POW, Niggle, Apofail.

I hated myself for not fouling the ogre to AT LEAST a stun.

I'm not saying that the goal should always be to pitch-clear... but everytime you don't push the pedal all the way down, you must know you're risking something. And such a decision it's really up to you, but you shouldn't assume that it's a behaviour to be expected.

It's not a matter of being merciful vs being ruthless... It's a matter of doing everything you can to keep control over bad luck, or trading a part of your safety to let your opponent feel like you don't want to overkill him.

It's a choice, but it's hard to say which stance has the moral highground.

So, unless you find a completely satisfactory definition of "excessive" (which I think it's unlikely, but you never know...), I think I cannot side with you on the topic.

Post   Posted: Nov 25, 2008 - 13:32 Reply with quote Back to top

Nextflux wrote:
Mattybee wrote:

sure it is a part of a strategy, winning and fouling as much as possible to kill as many as possible, even if you can score one or two extra tds..

Most of the top coaches are perfectly capable of running in those extra TDs (assuming they arent stalling) while kicking your face into the turf.

"There are those to whom knowledge is a shield. There are those to whom it is a weapon. Neither view is balanced."
Vampy

Post   Posted: Nov 25, 2008 - 13:37 Reply with quote Back to top

Nextflux wrote:

I draw my line where I like it.. so just accept it or sod off..

Not very nice now was it?

No one is having a go at you. They are merely trying to understand WHY there is a line.

If a coach of 140 comprehensively kicks your ass and excessively fouls at the same time it is no different to a higher coach doing it.

But it's your choice. All Circ was trying to do initially was understand what you meant and then understand why you have a number in your head at which to cut off the excessive foulers.

Note to all CR 179 coaches, you are ok to whoop this guy and kick his head in at the same time. He won't mind apparently Razz Wink
clarkin

Post   Posted: Nov 25, 2008 - 13:52 Reply with quote Back to top

odi wrote:
I think the only tactic not mentioned in the rule book, which I dont like is whining when the game isnt going your way. And when it becomes too much, I usually unleash my DP, to give them something to whine about. Most people here are really good sports, and can even laugh at double skulls and RIPs. Yeah, it's ok to comment and have a laugh when you are having a bad day, but if it starts being constant "Pleeeeeeeease" "Incredible!", "It's always like this..." (actually those 2 last ones arent even bad, if there was any humor involved) Razz

Agreed! Non stop whining over every failed dice they roll is such a bore, and yes inevitably leads me too to try and REALLY make them feel some pain.
Had this one recently
"I fail GFIs 50% of the time. Seriously I can prove it"
 Jump to: