63 coaches online • Server time: 21:04
Forum Chat
Recent Forum Topics goto Post Blood Bowl 2024 Edit...goto Post NBFL Season 32: The ...goto Post FUMBBL HAIKU'S
SearchSearch 
View previous topic Log in to check your private messages View next topic
Hero164

Post   Posted: Dec 11, 2009 - 18:58 Reply with quote Back to top

Just a small contribution from me. Generally I think the tourneys have been fantastic.

I would not like to see group seedings in a major tourney, I cant see what benefit that will bring, it sounds like it will make the quarter finals onwards which should be the most exciting part of the tourney have a lot of variable quality and teams in it.

The different groups for the warpstone worked well because each avenue still had its perils. Simple groups seeding on TS has reprocussions past the group stage.

Stella for President!!

Need a new challenge? Here's all the challenge you will ever need.

http://fumbbl.com/index.php?name=PNphpBB2&file=viewtopic&t=19352
Malmir

Post   Posted: Dec 11, 2009 - 19:01 Reply with quote Back to top

I don't think it is a dreadful idea, just not sure it would help the tourney. Unlike the idea of killing players between matches, which is a dreadful idea.

Zombie69 wrote:
Just to make it clear what i'm saying, i'm not talking about splitting the brackets according to location (this can be done as well in some cases, but it's trickier). What i'm talking about is distributing people inside of each bracket according to location. Maybe it can even be automated. A tool could look at the location in a coach profile, and sort coaches from -9 GMT to +14 GMT.

For example, let's say that you have a 32 team KO tournament. the first 7 teams could be from North America, the next 22 could be from Europe and the last 3 from Australia / New Zealand. If an automated system is used that works by time zone rather than region, the first 2 might be from the West coast, the next 2 from Central, the next 3 from the East coast, then 3 from GMT-1, 10 from GMT, 9 from GMT+1, and 3 from Australia.

This way, people get to play against coaches close to their time zones for as many rounds as possible before having to play against coaches from further away, and a coach from North America for example wouldn't have to play against someone from Australia until the final.

I think that would encourage participation from North Americans and Australians a lot.
Zombie69

Post   Posted: Dec 12, 2009 - 01:49 Reply with quote Back to top

That's because you live in the UK. If you lived outside of Europe, i think you'd jump on this idea! There are so many players from outside of Europe who don't enter tournaments at all because of time zones, and i think that's really a shame. Anything to help mitigate this without screwing up anything else is a good move imo.
Mightypeon

Post   Posted: Dec 13, 2009 - 01:56 Reply with quote Back to top

My ideas for tournaments:

1: Add a "Sacrificial Pit" Function for the LC. Players Surfed into a specific place (propably on the Sidelines, I recomend the two Spots right and left of the middle line) DIE, no APO/Regen whatever allowed. For sacrificieng someone, the sacrificer gets extra winnings. I think this suggestion would be MUCH more fun than killing players between games.
2: Winner gets either the Temple Guard, or any player Killed via the Sacrificial Pits during the course of the tourney, this idea could also be used for some kind of Necromancy based tourney.
Mightypeon

Post   Posted: Dec 13, 2009 - 02:01 Reply with quote Back to top

Alternativly, having the power of the Temple Guard depend on the number of players "sacrificed" by the team would be cool too.
CircularLogic

Post   Posted: Dec 15, 2009 - 09:55 Reply with quote Back to top

So here is my vision for the Tour 2010 - The Tour takes over the Minors!

There shall be 8 Tour events, 2 in each TR category of 150/175/200 and one of TR 125 and 225 each. Each of this Tour events features as many parallel tourneys as you can fill with 32 teams per tourney. As before, the first 2 Tour events are played with random seeding and then the coaches are seeded according to their tour points. The scoring will be changed and there will be different scores by division:
Primary division: 2/4/7/11/17/24
Secondary division: 1/3/6/10/15/24
All other divisions: 1/2/4/8/14/24
Please note, that these scores are not set in stone. I just wanted to provide an incentive to get to higher divisions as fast as possible, where the chances are good to fall out in the first few rounds. On the other side, with all tourneys giving the same score for the winner, it should be easy for late starting coaches to jump into the primary division after one successful tourney.
After every 2 Tour events, there shall be a Minor tourney. These events differ from regular Tour events, that they are bigger (64 teams), fewer (4per year at TR 150/175/200/225), have dynamic gold and that you can score more points:
Primary division: 2/4/8/14/21/30/40
Secondary division: 1/3/6/12/19/28/40
All other divisions: 1/2/4/8/16/24/40

Now you`ll be saying: Noone has the time to compete in ALL of those tourneys!
That`s right, which is why every coach has 2 Tour events and 1 Minor, that will be taken out of the final score. This will be the events with the worst score in their respective category. So you can miss 25% of the tourneys without missing any points. As last year, I will track the tour points and update the standing at regular intervalls. Hopefully there will be someone, who likes to comment on the tour, as this was a bit too much work for me to do all the time.

Optional:
When all 12 Tourevents are done, the tour final beings. The top 8 coaches will be invited to the Tour Masters Event. The TR cap for this event is 80+Tourpoints. Yep, that`s right - for each point you earned during the tour you can bring a stronger team. Those 8 coaches then play a final KO tourney for the title, seeded by Tourpoints. The winner of this tourney shall be crowned 'FUMBBL Tour Champion 2010' and recieved the price, which is the pro skill on 3 random players on any team of his choice that won a tour event or minor.

So this is where I want the tour to go - BIGGER, BETTER, MOAR EXCITING!
Frankenstein

Post   Posted: Dec 15, 2009 - 21:00 Reply with quote Back to top

Not too bad. But I'd love to see a pro-skill for the leader of each tour category (completions, touchdowns, interceptions, casualities) and the leader skill for the tour-spp leader (all events combined).

At least some focus on the teams and their players should be in place as well.
CircularLogic

Post   Posted: Dec 15, 2009 - 22:16 Reply with quote Back to top

That implies, that there are the tour categories you mention. At the moment, comps etc. are not tracked. Certainly not by player. I doubt, that without an automated system (which I am not) such a tracking is feasible.
Frankenstein

Post   Posted: Dec 15, 2009 - 22:24 Reply with quote Back to top

CircularLogic wrote:
That implies, that there are the tour categories you mention. At the moment, comps etc. are not tracked. Certainly not by player. I doubt, that without an automated system (which I am not) such a tracking is feasible.

I wonder:

How come leagues are able to track categories (even for individual seasons)? It is my understanding that they have access to automated queries, at least as far as I know.
CircularLogic

Post   Posted: Dec 15, 2009 - 22:29 Reply with quote Back to top

Yes, they have access to the data. I have that, too. But I don`t have the programming skills to turn this access into a table that updates itself on a weekly basis. So I`m tracking by excel manually so far. Not too much work, but that`s as long as I restrict myself to 'score per coach'.
Frankenstein

Post   Posted: Dec 15, 2009 - 22:30 Reply with quote Back to top

Mightypeon wrote:
My ideas for tournaments:

1: Add a "Sacrificial Pit" Function for the LC. Players Surfed into a specific place (propably on the Sidelines, I recomend the two Spots right and left of the middle line) DIE, no APO/Regen whatever allowed. For sacrificieng someone, the sacrificer gets extra winnings. I think this suggestion would be MUCH more fun than killing players between games.
2: Winner gets either the Temple Guard, or any player Killed via the Sacrificial Pits during the course of the tourney, this idea could also be used for some kind of Necromancy based tourney.

I kind of like the idea that the winner may add one player, who deceased during the tournament, to his roster. Way more interesting than a temple guard, in my opinion.
eyeslikethunder

Post   Posted: Dec 16, 2009 - 09:17 Reply with quote Back to top

I like the idea of swiss groups done by location/timezone (very world cup Qualifying). I know europe has most the best players(sort of true in football europe plus brazil and argies) and wins most the Majors but I like the idea of champions of each area facing off against each other. I also like the smacktalk nature of it.

I would like the One of the Tour or Minors to sorted by TS rather than TR as they are flat entry

One the Sacrifice idea maybe a player over 31spps or your best player. This means cetain teams like CD and undead are less hurt by the system.

There was this disturbance in the water, then suddenly this giant testicle came out and grabbed me
SzieberthAdam

Post   Posted: Dec 16, 2009 - 22:03 Reply with quote Back to top

Swiss groups: /seconded

LC: Why just sacrifise? What about letting coaches in each round to choose from various options for the upcoming match only. For example:
- pick one of his opponents player who will miss that game, or
- pick one of his opponents player who will be cursed with really stupid or no hands or -stat or anything else
- give a mutation or plus stat or a double skill to one of his own player
- give buzzing or (iron man ???) to one of his player

decisions should be made paralelly so it could happen that you blessed one of your player who will be also cursed or miss the game thanks to the opponent coach

these are just rapid ideas, the final system should be balanced perfectly of course.
-

Post   Posted: Dec 19, 2009 - 14:40 Reply with quote Back to top

CircularLogic wrote:
So here is my vision for the Tour 2010 - The Tour takes over the Minors!

There shall be 8 Tour events, 2 in each TR category of 150/175/200 and one of TR 125 and 225 each. Each of this Tour events features as many parallel tourneys as you can fill with 32 teams per tourney. As before, the first 2 Tour events are played with random seeding and then the coaches are seeded according to their tour points.

While I personally would prefer two of each TR category of 125/150/175/200 I have no problem with your suggestions. But if I might come with a suggestion of my own then if we were to follow your proposal then I think it should be two chains of tournaments. One being 125-150-175-200 and the other 150-175-200-225, that would give the Tour a bit more continuity and people could try and use the same teams for following Tours.
runreallyfast

Post   Posted: Dec 19, 2009 - 15:03 Reply with quote Back to top

I'd like to add another vote for some sort of time-zone grouping for majors.

It's sometimes a nightmare trying to get games in against people who live 10 hours apart from me. Even the discussion of when to play often takes 3 days. Inevitably, I end up getting up at 5:30 AM (or my opponent does) and playing a game while half-stoned on fatigue poisons.

It's just not a lot of fun. I don't mind it as long as I'm winning, but I'm a very poor loser on four hours sleep. Smile
 Jump to: