56 coaches online • Server time: 23:07
Forum Chat
Recent Forum Topics goto Post Finishing the 60 Gam...goto Post GIF Guidegoto Post TSC Draft
SearchSearch 
View previous topic Log in to check your private messages View next topic
justagigolo

Post   Posted: Aug 10, 2010 - 23:55 Reply with quote Back to top

Everything sounds good to me. I am in favor of having a five card side board as well though.
RedDevilCG

Post   Posted: Aug 11, 2010 - 03:07 Reply with quote Back to top

Seams to me that a 30 card limit is a big problem for the freeware version. Is there more than one product called Magic Workstation?

Q: What is the difference between the evaluation and registered versions?
A: Your registration key will get you:
* Shareware reminder and banner windows will be removed;
* You will be able to create your own cardsets without limitation (30 card limit in unregistered version);
* You will be able to test your decks without having to use "mirror-match" mode;
* Limitation for one page Deck/Proxy printing will be removed;
* Reminder labels in any output documents will be eliminated (in export menu);
* You may change your photo or avatar, and the play background, and your opponents will be able to view it when they play;
* You will gain access to the private part of our forum;
* You will gain personal support by e-mail;
Ilzhahkha

Post   Posted: Aug 11, 2010 - 09:51 Reply with quote Back to top

justagigolo wrote:
Everything sounds good to me. I am in favor of having a five card side board as well though.

When you play sealed deck all the cards you opened (as well as unlimited basic lands) always counts as your sideboard.
Ancre

Post   Posted: Aug 11, 2010 - 13:09 Reply with quote Back to top

I am sorry I have a stupid question about the rules : what is the difference between matches and games ?
Ilzhahkha

Post   Posted: Aug 11, 2010 - 13:11 Reply with quote Back to top

Ancre wrote:
I am sorry I have a stupid question about the rules : what is the difference between matches and games ?

A match is best out of three games.
SillySod

Post   Posted: Aug 11, 2010 - 18:43 Reply with quote Back to top

RedDevilCG wrote:
* You will be able to create your own cardsets without limitation (30 card limit in unregistered version);

I think you can use the software to create and manage custom cards (for new games, new master libraries). As far as I know.... this limitation refers to custom card creation.

It certainly doesnt inhibit sealed deck drafting, we have used it before.

"There are those to whom knowledge is a shield. There are those to whom it is a weapon. Neither view is balanced."
Ancre

Post   Posted: Aug 12, 2010 - 18:27 Reply with quote Back to top

Ilzhahkha wrote:
Ancre wrote:

A match is best out of three games.

So, just to make sure I got it right, you play three games, and whoever win the most win the match, right ?
justagigolo

Post   Posted: Aug 12, 2010 - 18:34 Reply with quote Back to top

Well, if one person wins the first two games, there is no need to play the third unless you really want to. Since we are only counting a point for winning the match, there is no real advantage to playing the extra game. If the players want to play out the third game to help both players learn the client, rules, etc, or possibly improve their life totals in the case of a victory, then they may want to play the third game in this case.
SillySod

Post   Posted: Aug 13, 2010 - 01:12 Reply with quote Back to top

A match consists of three games. Whoever wins two games wins the match. If one player wins both of the first two games then they are automatically considered to win the third game 20-0 (for the purposes of tiebreaks). In the very unlikely event of a draw discount the result and play an extra game.

Obviously you can play more than three games (or a third if one player won the first two). However, these are considered to be friendlies and do not count towards the competition.

"There are those to whom knowledge is a shield. There are those to whom it is a weapon. Neither view is balanced."
Ancre

Post   Posted: Aug 13, 2010 - 13:00 Reply with quote Back to top

Ok ! Thank you very much for the clarification !
PeteW

Post   Posted: Aug 13, 2010 - 20:56 Reply with quote Back to top

Sounds good.

Whilst Lorwyn and Morningtide are okay, why did you choose those? Are they just the ones you know?

I'd much rather use a couple of Standard decks, such as Worldwake and Zendikar or Rise of the Eldrazi. Then there is understanding and cross-over with paper-play. The new rules and planeswalkers aren't really that confusing. I suspect that if we use standard the group will survive for longer. If we play extended or vintage then I expect it will die out sooner.

Other than that the proposal is fine.

Post   Posted: Aug 13, 2010 - 22:08 Reply with quote Back to top

It depends on if we are only going to do sealed competitions. If so, we can move from set to set from one competition to the next with no real issue and it will keep things fresh. If we are going to use the cards from each competition to build a persistent collection for constructed decks, then we should stick with the recent sets as PeteW suggests. This presents all sorts of intersting opportunities, for instance, we can give out booster packs as prizes. Although this all will start getting very hard to track and we would have to put a lot of trust in our fellow players.
Ilzhahkha

Post   Posted: Aug 14, 2010 - 00:19 Reply with quote Back to top

PeteW wrote:
Sounds good.

Whilst Lorwyn and Morningtide are okay, why did you choose those? Are they just the ones you know?

I'd much rather use a couple of Standard decks, such as Worldwake and Zendikar or Rise of the Eldrazi. Then there is understanding and cross-over with paper-play. The new rules and planeswalkers aren't really that confusing. I suspect that if we use standard the group will survive for longer. If we play extended or vintage then I expect it will die out sooner.

Other than that the proposal is fine.

My guess is that they dont include alot of strange mechanics (at least lorwyn). Also sealed in lorwyn is quite straightforward, certainly alot easier than Alara Block or Rise of the Eldrazi.
SillySod

Post   Posted: Aug 14, 2010 - 03:04 Reply with quote Back to top

Correct.

The Lorwyn block has a fun theme and a relatively small set of mechanics (few keywords, mostly everything is written on the cards). As Rijssiej suggested... its fun to play once but all the colours are quite samey and you wouldnt want to play it too much. Quite a good introductory block IMO.

I'd quite like to move into the newer blocks in season two but there are three obstacles:
1) they are harder and contain more complex mechanics
2) there are alot of old blocks which are a ton of fun (and which you cant really play in real life)
3) we dont have picture files for the most recent blocks. This is easily corrected but someone will have to find an appropriate download. We could play without pictures but they lend a hell of alot of character to the game.

I see us moving into either Alara or a standard-legal format in the next competition. Its not garuanteed though, it depends what happens to the group.

Ilzhahkha

Post   Posted: Aug 14, 2010 - 14:50 Reply with quote Back to top

One thing that I like about limited decks in lorwyn is that they really teach you what can and cannot be included in a deck without proper mana fixing.
In Alara Block a sealed deck will likely use three colors minimum, often four. When you play in lorwyn you will likely play two colors and sometimes three.
 Jump to: