33 coaches online • Server time: 11:41
Forum Chat
Recent Forum Topics goto Post TSC Draftgoto Post 4,000TV!goto Post IBA Draft League
SearchSearch 
View previous topic Log in to check your private messages View next topic
freak_in_a_frock

Post   Posted: Jul 31, 2012 - 00:33 Reply with quote Back to top

I think i got them all
harvestmouse

Post   Posted: Jul 31, 2012 - 00:36 Reply with quote Back to top

freak_in_a_frock wrote:
I think i got them all

Well done that man. Obviously though, it's the forum interface's fault, not my lack of posting skill.
freak_in_a_frock

Post   Posted: Jul 31, 2012 - 00:37 Reply with quote Back to top

Of course!
Overhamsteren

Post   Posted: Jul 31, 2012 - 00:42 Reply with quote Back to top

Heh you did the code right but misspelled quote as qoute. Surprised

Thanks to the BBRC for all the great work you did.
harvestmouse

Post   Posted: Jul 31, 2012 - 00:48 Reply with quote Back to top

Overhamsteren wrote:
Heh you did the code right but misspelled quote as qoute. Surprised

Every time?! So we can slide the blame onto the English language then, for not being intuitive!
spubbbba

Post   Posted: Jul 31, 2012 - 00:53 Reply with quote Back to top

In every forum there are topics that come up over and over. So if someone raises it such an issue again there are bound to be a few groans.

Fouling, stalling and clawpomb are common on all the Bloodbowl forums.

Whist "the RNG is broken/dice are loaded/cards are fixed" threads come up in every online community that uses a computerised version of real life random outcome generators.

You should see all the crazy superstitions that exist amongst gamblers and sports people who are absolutely convinced their little ritual will guarantee success. It doesn't matter how much evidence is provided to some of these people that the RNG is more random than GW's dice they still won't be convinced. Cyanide's forum has had several threads about that too and voodoomike gave them pretty short shrift.

I do think the Academy forum might benefit from a sub forum for newbies where no question was too dumb. But would limit the replies to only helpful ones and ban the usual smart aleck's from posting in it.

Post   Posted: Jul 31, 2012 - 10:56 Reply with quote Back to top

harvestmouse wrote:
Quote:
The fact after half a dozen games or so, you felt you had the right to be critical on an RNG, that a lot of work has gone into, I feel is..........unfair and in fact ridiculous. In reality, watching your replays, you aren't the best coach with best grasp of the game dynamics. Improve that first, play a larger sample, take a larger sample of rolls, then you may have an argument.

How you handled it, is just simply rude.

Now I had to dig it up and read it again to see where I was being rude. It appears that simply raising the question is considered rude, especially following Fela's logic. I understand that to a point - a gift horse's mouth - but frankly the thread makes you guys seem almost like religious fanatics.

I would also like to point out your first reply to the OP's question. You're among the first ones to ridicule the poster, and you're forum staff.

Also, I did not ask for a public evaluation of my playing skills, and I consider it somewhat unfair (or ridiculous) that somebody with 2000 games under his belt, and part of the forum staff, would even consider ridiculing noobies on the forum, but thank you for the feedback. I can take the rotten tomatoes, no problem. Also, if you have any detailed feedback, I'd like you to PM them to me. Maybe I will learn something.*

The above is a good example of what I meant about admins keeping their personal feelings out of the discussion. I personally don't think it's a good idea to endorse an "us vs. YOU" atmosphere, unless you want to keep this an elitist inner circle, which some people do appear to want, and I understand them (on principle, I think quality is far better than quantity). Hence my comments about the forum being prone to trolling. I don't think you could take the 200 douchebags somebody mentioned above, if you can't take one person asking questions about the RNG.

Well, I'd like to bury this topic now, if you don't mind. Please feel free to have the last word, if you wish to react to my statements above. I just had to react on your notion of me being rude, especially after you saw it fit to assess (or perhaps ridicule?) my playing skills here. I feel this is a continuation of the RNG thread.

Would it be possible to write down the rules on how to behave in Christer's house? And I mean the unwritten rules, like "thou shalt not question" and "thou shalt be grateful". I'd rather read something like that first than end up committing forum seppuku in the first thread I take part in. Had I known better, I would never have taken part, since I'm not a quarrelsome person. Of course I could've always used the search engine.

In case you got me wrong, I am grateful that I can play this for free. As I said, the game is top-notch quality. But any notions of this community being friendly and open seem unbased to me. Your community is probably both of that in the inner circle, among the core group, but the view is different from the outside. But well, I'm here to play games, and luckily the forum is not needed for that, and I've already had a ton of fun in game.

Lastly, I'd like to point out that whatever I have written are of course my own subjective views. That's what you wanted, right, to find out what Fumbbl seems like to noobies? This was my starting experience, and it was not a good one. The German guy who started the thread about the RNG probably had a similar experience, if he's still around.

I hope you consider this as feedback rather than trolling.

* There are some mistakes that can be described as nothing but brain farts in the games I have played, one enormous one springs to my mind, so I do know when I made obvious mistakes, such as running into a Frenzy trap on turn 1. A brain fart such as this may make me appear less aware of the dynamics of the game than I really am: in 20 games, random mistakes may appear more of a rule than in 2000, so please wait for me to get to dozens or hundreds before making your final judgment.
the_Sage

Post   Posted: Jul 31, 2012 - 11:44 Reply with quote Back to top

The community is both welcoming, trolling, engaged, aged, cynical, experienced, noobish, etc. It has its charms, its quirks, and its deep personality disorders.

When I first joined I thought it was great. I had opponents who would chat and give advice in games, and the people on the irc were funny.

I can see how people mocking your opinion (likely unbased but I haven't done or seen the statistics myself) might feel off, and the community certainly has that side too. If that scares off noobs, I think you're right that we should be more aware of that, and more patient in our explanations of why we're not taking an issue too seriously.

But understand a community that sometimes shows an ugly face (you know who you are!) can also be a great community.
Kalimar

Post   Posted: Jul 31, 2012 - 11:55 Reply with quote Back to top

Amen, brother Smile

On a side note: I do think some admins could be a little bit more ... restrained, as it is not always clear where the personal opinions end and the admin begins and vice versa ... but then we're only human.
koadah

Post   Posted: Jul 31, 2012 - 12:04 Reply with quote Back to top

Maybe we just need more admins before someone goes MikaFreak! Wink

Post   Posted: Jul 31, 2012 - 12:16 Reply with quote Back to top

Since when have staff not being allowed to have an opinion? I'm pretty open, and if I make a mistake or say something I shouldn't have, I'm the first to apologise.

As for Whitmire, he's regurgitating the same argument. My point is, questioning the RNG as he did, without any foundation is extremely rude. Any negative response he received after that, I believe he had coming.

Last edited by harvestmouse on %b %31, %2012 - %12:%Jul; edited 1 time in total
koadah

Post   Posted: Jul 31, 2012 - 12:19 Reply with quote Back to top

Mouse, it doesn't have feelings. It's only a piece of software.

Post   Posted: Jul 31, 2012 - 12:27 Reply with quote Back to top

I presume the unwelcoming feeling many newcomers to the forums experience has a close relation with pythrr being very fast at replying forum threads.

Post   Posted: Jul 31, 2012 - 12:29 Reply with quote Back to top

koadah wrote:

That's not the point at all. Java bowl RNG, was always questioned (without much foundation), so Christer went to the trouble of changing it (to have that one questioned as well).

So for the new client, Christer went to more trouble to research and bring a new government backed RNG to FUMBBL.

For this to be then questioned, by new coaches who haven't researched into the RNG, don't have the greatest grasp on game mechanics yet, have played very few games here to have a valued opinion on the subject or have looked at a larger sample of rolls; is in my opinion belittling the work done, and extremely rude.
Garion

Post   Posted: Jul 31, 2012 - 12:45 Reply with quote Back to top

koadah wrote:

tell that to woodstock.
 Jump to: