32 coaches online • Server time: 09:47
Forum Chat
Recent Forum Topics goto Post TSC Draftgoto Post 4,000TV!goto Post IBA Draft League
SearchSearch 
View previous topic Log in to check your private messages View next topic
mubo

Post   Posted: Jan 05, 2011 - 18:04 Reply with quote Back to top

Something I think could be improved is the very important first game. I have played a little online chess (at chess.com), and they have a "welcome game" feature where someone who knows the site connects and leads people through a game.

This is *slightly* harder to do with BB as it requires a new user to make a new team (which can take a while when things are unfamiliar) and then run the risk of getting beaten badly by a seasoned fumbbler (after the hassle of finding a game), which may put people off. The idea of a default team sidesteps this neatly, you could even have a welcome game link, where you just choose races and away you go with rookie teams. Then something pops up in chat allowing some kind soul to join and lead the new guy through. Maybe even give people the chance to keep SPPs etc. from this game, and migrate the team into [R] or [B]. Maybe.

Thinking about it, I think I prefer this to [A].

Last edited by mubo on %b %05, %2011 - %18:%Jan; edited 2 times in total
Over-dose

Post   Posted: Jan 05, 2011 - 18:04 Reply with quote Back to top

aye - didn't read everything in here - but i just wanted to say this: I've been playing quite some games over the past years and therefor experienced lots of different gaming communities. and i gotta say: The fumbbl community is the nicest, most helpful, most creative, wittiest, etc..., i've come along so far.

the only thing you really gotta do all on your own is install IRC and click on the direct link to the chat on the page - voila, you almost always find a kind and patient soul who'll help you out with any problem whatsoever!

Thumbs up for all of us! Razz
Garion

Post   Posted: Jan 05, 2011 - 18:06 Reply with quote Back to top

justagigolo wrote:
Just an idea for trying to get new users into a game as quickly as possible, wouldn't it be great if academy games were literally one click away. No team creation needed, no player naming, not even registering for a user name. The user could simply click a learner's match button on the front page, is prompted to type in a user name, and is promptly dropped into a match with a pre-created human team. This removes all sense of permanence from the game.

This would be really good if it was combined with the bots that grod is developing, that way they could learn how to play against bots if no one else was around.

Post   Posted: Jan 05, 2011 - 18:07 Reply with quote Back to top

Garion wrote:
justagigolo wrote:
Just an idea for trying to get new users into a game as quickly as possible, wouldn't it be great if academy games were literally one click away. No team creation needed, no player naming, not even registering for a user name. The user could simply click a learner's match button on the front page, is prompted to type in a user name, and is promptly dropped into a match with a pre-created human team. This removes all sense of permanence from the game.

This would be really good if it was combined with the bots that grod is developing, that way they could learn how to play against bots if no one else was around.

Did someone just simultaneously suggest what I just did? Shows what a good idea it is!
MadTias

Post   Posted: Jan 05, 2011 - 18:09 Reply with quote Back to top

justagigolo wrote:

This is a great idea. Lowers the bar for tutoring too, just click into the game when you see a new guy and play away. Wonder if it's feasible.
Macavity

Post   Posted: Jan 05, 2011 - 18:14 Reply with quote Back to top

Actually, if we did find some way of generating, say, a basic human team and/or orc team, the "bots" might be useful as 1 dimensional constructs. If the goal is learning the game, and what the more straight forward teams are about, playing a series of 3 sample games against 1) Ball only Elves 2)Bash only Dwarves and finally 3)Grod's best work in a mirror team to your own might go a long way to opening up eyes. The worst thing is the player who DOES have 3 or 4 games under their belt, is believing they are getting the hang of it, and then meets a new team type and is slaughtered (literally or in score). Any preparedness for that would be helpful to avoiding melt-downs!

Post   Posted: Jan 05, 2011 - 18:24 Reply with quote Back to top

I like the auto-academy scenario. The default team is great, but playing a bot doesn't help you too much. You need a human to tell you not to line your entire team on the LoS on defense, etc.

If when a new player 'activated' into A a system notification went to IRC, that would help ensure someone jumped in to play them.
Macavity

Post   Posted: Jan 05, 2011 - 18:29 Reply with quote Back to top

As long as there is a warning that someone joining to play them is voluntary, and a kindness!

Post   Posted: Jan 05, 2011 - 18:34 Reply with quote Back to top

I guess i think back to MMO games, were new players are funneled into a new player chat. But BB is not WoW and i cant see there being floods of new players. And as a noob leagues still seem intimidating, maybe create a little community initative to make a bunch of Helper teams in Acad named Helper Humans - whatnot - so that more experienced players can put a team up in Acad so that when noobs are recomended to play in acad they are not joining an empty league.
Macavity

Post   Posted: Jan 05, 2011 - 18:37 Reply with quote Back to top

If the pre-built teams can be launched like a normal game, it would help Academy a lot. I don't mind helping a newb, if I have the time (Which I frequently don't), but it's a bit of a pain to maintain a team at low TV, I'd rather be able t oplug in the Gouged Eye, or whatever, and give a lesson without maintenence issues!

Post   Posted: Jan 05, 2011 - 18:53 Reply with quote Back to top

But the problem with this is what if 2 noob coaches join the game then they will be stuck playing each other and possibly not learning a lot, and I am not convinced people will alwasy want to play and teach new coaches, I have done it before and would again happily but i rarely have the time for such things.

The grod bot I still think is a good idea. Most people have played BB before coming here, a lot of the learning is how to opperate the client, how to block blitz throw etc.. a game against the grod bot will help you learn these things.

Post   Posted: Jan 05, 2011 - 19:11 Reply with quote Back to top

Garion wrote:
But the problem with this is what if 2 noob coaches join the game then they will be stuck playing each other and possibly not learning a lot, and I am not convinced people will alwasy want to play and teach new coaches, I have done it before and would again happily but i rarely have the time for such things.

The grod bot I still think is a good idea. Most people have played BB before coming here, a lot of the learning is how to opperate the client, how to block blitz throw etc.. a game against the grod bot will help you learn these things.

I actually like this idea quite a bit. GrodBot would be a good add on just for A games if there are no coaches around to play.

Post   Posted: Jan 05, 2011 - 19:19 Reply with quote Back to top

Storming idea, this one off newbie game.
Ancre

Post   Posted: Jan 05, 2011 - 19:35 Reply with quote Back to top

Garion wrote:

That's not a huge problem. Sure they won't level up faster playing low-exp opponents, however they will have a shot at winning. We get so bent up on making newbs good that we forget they wanna have fun too ; and a game between two newbs is fun and challenging for each of them. A game between a newb and a vet can be fun too, but it's already decided from the start in a way, and that changes the way you play and enjoy the game - the real goal of the game (winning) being unattainable, the goal changes to learning stuff and it makes the game different. So let newbs fight each other ! That's not a problem since they're having fun Smile
Garion

Post   Posted: Jan 05, 2011 - 19:41 Reply with quote Back to top

Ancre wrote:

That's not a huge problem. Sure they won't level up faster playing low-exp opponents, however they will have a shot at winning. We get so bent up on making newbs good that we forget they wanna have fun too ; and a game between two newbs is fun and challenging for each of them.

Agreed but that is what the academy division is for. I was just making a case for an optional introductory game against the grod bot so people can aclimatise them selves with the client before they decide to join academy or ranked etc...

The idea wasnt to replace academy with the bot, it is just another adition for newcomers to ease them into things. Personally i think it would be a welcome adition.

The bot will continue to get better as well if feedback is given to Grod about stupid things the bot does etc...
So a feedback link would be good too.

It also means when people roll in from a night out drunk they can play against the bot instead of playing with a real team then waking up in the morning to find all the pixels dead lol