42 coaches online • Server time: 12:49
Forum Chat
Recent Forum Topics goto Post Draft League Expansi...goto Post 90+ Custom Rosters!goto Post NBFL Season 32: The ...
SearchSearch 
View previous topic Log in to check your private messages View next topic
cameronhawkins

Post   Posted: May 14, 2014 - 18:05 Reply with quote Back to top

xnoelx wrote:
I've only played Gobs in a league, but yeah, unarguably many of your points are valid. But teams like this suggest they aren't quite as lost a cause as all that.

This team has 20 skills. 11 of them are General skills. Whether they got them by rules or by luck, this situation isn't really generalizable...

If you find a team that can do that record with only normal skill rolls, I will be persuaded!
Stimme

Post   Posted: May 14, 2014 - 18:50 Reply with quote Back to top

Pretty much everything has been said and told. Goblins are definitely not the most competitive team out there, and especially at higher TV, when even chaos warriors start to leap and strip balls, the lack of general skills access (ie Block, Sure Hands), really starts to hurt.

Just on the stand of using all secret weapons or not: I do play all of them. Once, for the fun, but also for competitive reasons. Like getting to the ball carrier. The bomber and the fanatic are among the very few players in the whole game that will allow you to crack open a cage without using a blitz (besides gazing vampires and tossed stunties). While this is of course not reliable at all, it definitely adds a large set of options and potential moments of surprise for your opponent. Often enough, the fanatic also manages to chainpush my own ball carrier away from a nasty diving tackling sidestep blodger. And while the weather sometimes won't allow you to toss bombs, it is never too sunny to kick somebody's head on the ground.

The key then is of course a full roster, so you can choose whether to field your secret weapons or not. On a defensive drive, especially against a very fast team, I often only field the chainsaw. Having a goblin with Kick skill is pretty nice to extend the length of the drive, and in case of a failed pickup and poorly protected ball, a thrown gobbo can even get you a one-turn score.

Let's not forget: more goblin teams mean more fun and mayhem, but fewer goblin teams means less experience of how to play against them and more touchdowns for Stick Steve!
Garion

Post   Posted: May 14, 2014 - 19:05 Reply with quote Back to top

man all this chat has made me want to try them again LOL, I guess I'm a glutton for punishment

Post   Posted: May 14, 2014 - 19:06 Reply with quote Back to top

hehe, that's the spirit Garion!

Post   Posted: May 14, 2014 - 20:13 Reply with quote Back to top

naaaa, gave up again, another game where all the important rolls fail. They are just far far too dice dependent, not for me at all. Its sad that gobos suck so badly, flings shouldn't be this much better than them really.

Post   Posted: May 14, 2014 - 20:23 Reply with quote Back to top

Garion wrote:
naaaa, gave up again, another game where all the important rolls fail. They are just far far too dice dependent, not for me at all. Its sad that gobos suck so badly, flings shouldn't be this much better than them really.

Man, I had the over on 2 games before you gave up.
Garion

Post   Posted: May 14, 2014 - 20:29 Reply with quote Back to top

you had the over? que?

Post   Posted: May 14, 2014 - 20:31 Reply with quote Back to top

Over/Under in betting nomenclature.
Garion

Post   Posted: May 14, 2014 - 20:39 Reply with quote Back to top

oh right I see what you mean...

Yeah I expected to last longer but they just aren't fun for me, just pure frustration.

Post   Posted: May 14, 2014 - 20:42
FUMBBL Staff
Reply with quote Back to top

Well Norse wasn't a great opener...

Mr. J's LRB7 / Forum
Garion

Post   Posted: May 14, 2014 - 20:50 Reply with quote Back to top

aye, they are tricky, but I still should have won, I made an early mistake, but then he made a bunch of rolls without rr, I had a couple of shots at the ball carrier, and he was extremely lucky to score. 2nd half, I had a great chance early on, but every important roll failed.

Just too many dice failing. I just don't find them fun really.

Post   Posted: May 14, 2014 - 20:59 Reply with quote Back to top

Well that's fair enough. But as Josh said, Norse is tough :S. Like half naked faster Dwarfs. But just two quick observations. Me thinks it is better for you to start on defence and, as well, take both the trolls off the LOS. This way, you can put them where they are most needed as the drive unfolds rather than desperately try to unhook them from the TZ in the middle of the field.

In fact, if there is one major contributor to my (somewhat) better performance as Goblins it's that. Starting on defense whenever I can and taking both trolls off the line of scrum for defence. Oh well, least you gave em another go.
Garion

Post   Posted: May 14, 2014 - 21:06 Reply with quote Back to top

starting on defence doesnt make sense, it means if you suffer enough cas or ko and your opponent scores you only get to put your secret weapons on for 1 turn. Norse are fine at rookie level, they are really squishy, and i should have won, but the dice failed at all the important moments in the game, and his dice passed at all the important moments.

That aside, I just find them far far too dice dependant, if the trolls didnt have loner I would give them a proper play, but its just no fun depending on such unreliable players.

However I may have to play with them again, I can't get a game with any proper teams these days. Just daft ones. Even though I lost 6 CR in two games with goblins and I am no longer a legend.

Post   Posted: May 14, 2014 - 21:11 Reply with quote Back to top

Well um, I know it sounds bad on paper. But if you start on defence, it means if the opponent scores, my logic is, you get two shots against them on the line of scrum (if they score) as well as a TTM attempt to potentially equalize. They get the first 3 blocks of the game but gobbos are cheap anyway on the LOS so, nothing too badly lost. That said I suppose again I only use one weapon so I wouldn't be under the same pressure as your greens.

That said, yeah the dice were harsh on you in key moments in that match but the above was just a general cent regarding goblin strategy, for me at least. But yeah, consistency and Goblins don't go together Razz.

Last edited by Wolbum on %b %14, %2014 - %22:%May; edited 1 time in total
mrt1212

Post   Posted: May 14, 2014 - 21:24 Reply with quote Back to top

You made an early mistake in not using the boot liberally against AV 7. Far be it from my position as a below average coach to offer critique but...

Turn 1, setting up Red to be a screen corner to screen who? A 2 GFI Move by Bulma? You have a clear path to foul a guy with an absurd amount of assists with a gobbo, plus you're already a man up after the first block. Press that advantage!

Turn 2, I don't know if this is sound or not but my feeling is you should have rerolled the gobbo POW from the fanatic based on the rationale that a fail means tons of block laden 2d6 against in case of failure plus an open hit on the ball carrier. If you had unpinned him you could have used him as a back corner of the cage and not suffered that blitz from the wolf. Its debatable as to whether its wise to burn 2 rerolls in the first 2 turns and you are definitely a good coach who figures out ways to overcome bad luck as you proved by forcing a drag out TD in the first half BUT...I still think you need to keep the gobbo machine going on a turn by turn basis on offense lest it stall and you wind up unable to foul or block.

Cant speak to the rest of the game since it gets into positioning and turn sequence stuff which I'm not very good at recognizing or talking about but I know enough that you didn't press the advantages you had at the time you had them.
 Jump to: