30 coaches online • Server time: 08:56
Forum Chat
Recent Forum Topics goto Post Secret League zombie...goto Post ramchop takes on the...goto Post 4,000TV!
SearchSearch 
View previous topic Log in to check your private messages View next topic
Nehver

Post   Posted: Sep 13, 2004 - 21:32 Reply with quote Back to top

Hey all,
Sorry I've been away for a while, but I am trying to keep an eye on things.
I'll take the banning of stars into consideration for season 2... but for now, I'm
going to allow them to stay. I've only heard 2 coaches speak up against them
so far. If I hear a majority vote against Star Players, then perhaps we will change
the rule early.

Arcon, yes... we are playing with all handicaps for now. This is a test season, and if
I see anything too devastating, then we will change rules for season 2.
Also, I didn't quite understand the question (or point) that you were trying to pose
with missing players and Star Players. But the rule states "no more than 5 "eligible"
players on the roster at a time. In other words, at the start of any game, you can have
no more than 5 players on your team that are able to be placed on the field.

Sgt Colon, Your team has been accepted, and a team has retired so I've plugged
you into their spot.

Also, we've had another coach retire, and do not have another substitute to plug in.
Therefore, until we get another replacement team, any coach who was due to play
a team that has retired, will recieve a forfeit win.

That's all for now... keep up the good games! Smile
-Nehver
sk8bcn

Post   Posted: Sep 14, 2004 - 13:40 Reply with quote Back to top

A rule in fumbbl says that if 2 same stars are hired for the same game, none shows up. So I believe that he asked if it is legal to hire the same star as you're opponent and by that way starting at 5 (5 players + 1 star that didn't show up) vs 4 players (4 + the same star that didn't show up).

I believe to see what people thinks about star, you should start a poll. Don't you?
Nehver

Post   Posted: Sep 14, 2004 - 20:19 Reply with quote Back to top

I do not think a poll is necessary, if people just speak up here. This is what the forum is for.
As far as the legality of hiring the same star player to keep him from showing.... that is a tricky
loop hole. By the rules I set, you are allowed no more than 5 eligible players at the start of a match
... but if he doesn't show up for either team, he isn't considered an "eligible player" for the match.
So I suppose if you want to waste that much money, just to keep a star player from appearing for
your opponent... it's your money... it's your call. I do see this causing alot of arguements though, so
if it becomes a problem, to simplify things I may just bann them after all.

If you have a view... speak up. I may be in charge here, but my most important rule is that everyone
enjoy themselves. If I see everyone shares the same point of view about a certain part of the tourney,
then I change the rule, to cater to everyone having a good time.
-Nehver
sk8bcn

Post   Posted: Sep 16, 2004 - 10:53 Reply with quote Back to top

I think you should make a poll simply because I m not sure everyone reads the thread. A poll gives you a clear view of whom has read that.
Aconite

Post   Posted: Sep 21, 2004 - 18:56 Reply with quote Back to top

Grumble, grumble, grumble... Don't you just hate it when you try to get a game but can't get hold of your opponent... Sure I've been given the points as if I won, but still missed the fun of actually playing, and the possible skill increases I could have gained... Grumble over...

(Brad Osberg)
sk8bcn

Post   Posted: Sep 24, 2004 - 18:01 Reply with quote Back to top

I do not like it too. At least when it happens to me. But not it's you vs me
mwahahahhahahaaaaaaaaaaa Twisted Evil Twisted Evil
Aconite

Post   Posted: Sep 25, 2004 - 19:14 Reply with quote Back to top

Haven't had the joy of mashing a star player into pulp yet... Hmmm, the possibilities Smile
Still trying to work out what tactics to use against your team, not the straightforward options I've had so far...
Hopefully get to play during this week? I'm too busy all weekend...

(Brad Osberg)
sk8bcn

Post   Posted: Sep 26, 2004 - 18:52 Reply with quote Back to top

These time I'm back at school and not really at home. But I have I room I can acces to play if I need too. The thing is, is must wait in it only to play so I really really need a strong established date to play. If not I will waste my time so to say.
Aconite

Post   Posted: Oct 04, 2004 - 22:41 Reply with quote Back to top

Well, after the game with sk8bcn, we agreed that Star Players are far too strong for this sort of league. One RIP & a SI early on both caused by the Star, really don't think they should be allowed.

I've already had my hammering because of one, it'd be nice for others not to have the same thing happen.

(Brad Osberg)
sk8bcn

Post   Posted: Oct 05, 2004 - 12:27 Reply with quote Back to top

I agree totally. I lost the previous one because of player that star. I won this one because of the same. It is way too overpowered. 5 players are a few. When one of them is an MA6 AG3 Str 6 AV 9 mighty blow player and not even a big guy and when you're incomes are so high you roughly can afford it 1 game out of 2, I think it's too much.

Yes I ve done 3 cas with him making me "loose" 6 SPP but I also managed 3 TD because of that and secured a win. I think they should be banned and anyone facing a team with a star will agree with us.
Captain1821

Post   Posted: Oct 05, 2004 - 13:56 Reply with quote Back to top

I disagree.

Star players give hope to teams that are badly damaged. They give the chance to those teams to recover. They also give the chance of some extra points at the tournament. That way, coaches that have a damaged team and don't have many points, don't lose their interest for the tournament easily. I have seen coaches quiting from tournaments because they have no chance to win and this is realy bad for a tournament.

After all, right now many teams have Star players, like "Few os us" that is sk8bcn's next opponent, and it would be unfair for them to throw all those money they spend, because of a changed rule near the end of the season.

Except that, teams with star players, can lose. For example, I won against "Feel the chill" that had the Star Player Count von Drakenborg with MA6 ST5 AG4 AV9, Block, Dodge, Regenerate, Hypnotic Gaze.
sk8bcn

Post   Posted: Oct 05, 2004 - 16:50 Reply with quote Back to top

By no way I meant by that that he had ti throw his star out. Such a rule change has to be done with no retroeffect.

Additionnaly I could also afford the same star to prevent him to show up. I did not say that for my personnal advantage. I played 2 games with a star, one with the star at my side, one against, both of them were unbalanced and not competitive at all.
tane

Post   Posted: Oct 05, 2004 - 17:57 Reply with quote Back to top

"Star players give hope to teams that are badly damaged. They give the chance to those teams to recover." - Care to explain?

Your team is badly injured, say you lost two players. How does spending say 80k on a star to show up for one match help you recover, compared to say spending the 80k on a new player? You used up the 80k, income from a match is usually less than that, what about your next match after that?

The winning teams which aren't suffering losses are the ones that can afford star players on a regular basis. If you lost a player permanently you're probably spending something between 60k-130k on a replacement which is roughly the cost of hiring a star, in many cases even more.

Yes, I understand that star players help you if your player is only missing a game, but we still have the freebooting option don't we? That's the whole point of freebooting.

And as a disclaimer, this is not an argument on whether star players should be allowed or banned. I'm fine with both decisions.
Aconite

Post   Posted: Oct 05, 2004 - 19:10 Reply with quote Back to top

On matches where I'm missing players, I've just brought in freebooters. That way saving funds to get a permanent replacement the next game (hopefully).

Stars are weighted to be good in normal sized teams, in teams with less than half the normal size, they can be devastating.

(Brad Osberg)
Captain1821

Post   Posted: Oct 05, 2004 - 21:54 Reply with quote Back to top

When you play against a developed team and the best player of your team misses the game, you need a Star player to replace him. The freebooter can't do much.

About saving funds... ofcourse you must save money in order to replace a dead player. But here we are not talking about replacing dead players, we talk about replacing MNG players. Remember that some times a star player do not cost much more money than a freebooter and many coaches need star players in order to stay in the tournament with chances to quilify to the next round and when more coaches have the chance to quilify, the tournament becomes more interesting, becomes better.

If star players are banned, the next step is to ban some heavy handicaps. That way the weaker teams will be doomed and coaches will start to quit or retire their teams and the tournament will die in the middle of the season.