20 coaches online • Server time: 05:56
Forum Chat
Recent Forum Topics goto Post Designer's Comm...goto Post It's almost tim...goto Post Claw/MB
SearchSearch 
View previous topic Log in to check your private messages View next topic
nazerdemus

Post   Posted: Dec 21, 2004 - 18:34 Reply with quote Back to top

I dont thing Crowd Pushes count either way as they arent reported as casualties to the system I think , If you do kill someone though on their team they will get -10
DreadClaw

Post   Posted: Dec 21, 2004 - 18:36 Reply with quote Back to top

you are getting 10 points deduction for him. any kill showing in the report is -10. aside from that, i'm in the kaos horde, and i'm NOT that bashy. 1 claw, 1 dp and 1 mblowing troll isn't that horrible..unless i get the ref.

Just LOOK at the teams, and then decide... okay... enough talk, time to find a game Razz

Post   Posted: Dec 21, 2004 - 18:38 Reply with quote Back to top

But dont play his halflings of death , they are evil to the bottom of their hairy groin stomping feet , and besides I have to kill them once i recover from the mauling
Macavity

Post   Posted: Dec 21, 2004 - 18:41 Reply with quote Back to top

Are you people all nuts??!?!?!?!?!?!? (no offence). Does anybody seriously accept a game without checking out the opposing team? I mean, my undead and dwarves will take on pretty much anyone, but when my dwarves were down to 7 active players (which they have handily recovered from) I carefully found another team in need of recovery (9 DE) and had an enjoyable game. If you blindly walk into a game against a bunch of RSC DP then it's your fault. Unless your a NOOB, in which case how many DP RSC players are you going to meet? Though, in general, I say play how you play, I think it's totally legitimate to ask a guy, "do you foul" Most guys say sometimes, some say never, some.... And the best thing about playing a team with, like, 4 DPs is that you feel NO GUILT about breaking them. I once pushed Horkon Heartripper into the Crowd for a SI. Did I apologize? no. The player's character name call's him an Assassin!!! and a game that has players called assassins.... Anyway, I shouldn't have posted on this thread, oh well.

Post   Posted: Dec 21, 2004 - 18:42 Reply with quote Back to top

You may want to check your scoring a little then. Because I surfed a big handed beastie into the crowd and my fans ripped him up good (I've got the zombie to prove it). But in viewing my opponents post, he did not count the crowd surfing death against his point total.
Glomp

Post   Posted: Dec 21, 2004 - 18:44 Reply with quote Back to top

Aye aye aye.

You leave for a few hours and look what happens.

- The EMU is a ranked and divx organisation due to the measures already in place, which prevent rigged games. The one suspicious game we saw in EMU season 4 was quickly reported to the administrators. They would be pointless groups in (U) since the ability to annihalate unsuspecting teams is so much greater.

- In terms of criticism its probably inadvisable to lump the various organisations together.
Take the difference in the scoring systems between EMU and Kaos:

EMU

Badly hurt = +2pts
Serious injury = +4pts
RIP = +6pts
Unapothed RIP = +12pts
Won the game = +5pts
Slam Dunk (7 or more cas) = +10pts

Lost game = -5pts
Opponent badly hurts a player = -1pts
Opponent seriously injures a player = -2pts
Opponent KILLS a player = -3pts
You fail to get a casualty = -3pts

Kaos

BH's: inflicted 1pts, suffered -1pt
SI's: inflicted 2pts,suffered -2pts
Kills: inflicted 4pts, suffered -4pts
Permanent kills (no apoth or failed apoth): inflicted 10 pts, suffered -10pts.
5 points for a win, -5 for a loss
15 points for a slam dunk (7 or more CAS in 1 game) you also get the normal points, -15pts if the opponent dunks you.
5 points if the opponent concedes the game. -40 Points if u Concede.

Now the two systems seem pretty similar, but its not difficult to see some fundamental differences in the way games are likely to go:

EMU - The odd random casualty or the odd foul combined with a win will put positive points on the board. The greatest chance of posting a negative score is with a lost game or taking heavy casualties. This is clearly a format that encourages winning more than anything and one flick over the results thread will show you that the more sucessfull players were the ones that won their games.

Kaos - Well you need a DP to win really. Low scores for most casualties and high scores for permanent deaths (combined with the identical point loss for any casualties your opponent may get) mean that Khaos will require a particuly dangerous team to participate and possibly a greater emphasis of team destruction rather than the 'Oh well I won and I hurt something' nature of the EMU.

Not saying this is all necessarily a bad thing, but you have to treat these various 'copycat' groups differently. EMU coaches might rough you up a bit, Khaos coaches want to kill you. Its up to you how you respond.

Just be aware that any DP laden team is going to do damage. The concept of dwarf teams being 'helped' to get games is a bit of a strange one since the game will invariably involve massive team destruction based on the unlikelyhood of your dwarfs having lots of DPs themselves (who the hell is going to play you other than the DMU?) and the inevitability that the team challenging you will have at least one if not several.

Ultimatley its up to people to understand the differences between organisations and respond appropriatley. Its also advisable to know who the main 'big scary team destroying coaches' are and none of them seem to be trying to hide it.

Don't blow this stuff out of all proportion and when the EMU season 5 rolls around a polite 'no thank you, I don't play that way' will do me just fine Wink

Last edited by Glomp on %b %21, %2004 - %18:%Dec; edited 1 time in total
BadMrMojo

Post   Posted: Dec 21, 2004 - 18:46 Reply with quote Back to top

Funny. I was just chatting with InquisitorPustus about this the other day.

Like I told him, I'm against the idea of meta-leagues which promote non-standard goals on principle. If you're playing the game, you should be playing the game with the actual intended goal of the game in mind. I'd be against a "My Left Foot" meta-league which scored based upon the number of GFIs failed as well, since it promotes making stupid plays over playing with the actual goal of the game in mind. Throwing a game - even to achieve your own, non-standard ends - is an insult.

If I sat down with Kenty* to play a game of Monopoly, I'd expect him to try to accumulate more cash than I did. Let's say Kenty decided that he didn't want to accumulate the most cash, he just wanted to make it around the board more times than I did. I'd be pretty annoyed that he was basically throwing the game. It's a bit insulting, somehow.

Now I'm not saying that EMU coaches are not playing to win. I'm saying that I'm against the idea of the metaleague potentially encouraging coaches to abandon the actual goal of the game. It's insulting to their opponents if someone gives in to the desire to ignore the ball and play for CAS. Hypothetical, yeah... but like I said, I'm against the principle of the thing.

In practice, I have to admit it. I love the way that BunnyPuncher runs the EMU. I read all the awards ceremonies and banter and I think he's done a great job. It genuinely looks like fun. I'm still against the basic concept, however.

Re: BLOODbowl... Try playing bloodBOWL some time. Or simply BloodBowl, where you play with the intention of scoring points and have to expect to both cause and receive casualties. Live with it. Deal with it. Quit if you can't do either. Just don't bring up the world's worst argument.

* Kenty: your post just happened to be the last one before I started typing this... not picking on you specifically or anything.

Post   Posted: Dec 21, 2004 - 18:50 Reply with quote Back to top

I still don't understand why winning the game is worth less than one single death. I mean, whether you are Kaos or EMU or whatever. What is better... killing one single elf, etc. or disgracing the whole lot of them by beating them?
nazerdemus

Post   Posted: Dec 21, 2004 - 18:53 Reply with quote Back to top

as far as monopoly goes there are many different strategys you can use to win the game , concentrate on getting sets or concentrate on breaking sets , there are many ways to win , trade frivolosly or never ever ever trade ,

Kenty if you win you dont lose so dont get the -5 so it is worth 10 really , but i do think it is a little out of proportion

Last edited by nazerdemus on %b %21, %2004 - %18:%Dec; edited 1 time in total
Kenty

Post   Posted: Dec 21, 2004 - 18:55 Reply with quote Back to top

* Kenty: your post just happened to be the last one before I started typing this... not picking on you specifically or anything.[/quote]

No harm done Mojo... with my luck when I play Monopoly I spend most of my time in jail anyway.
Glomp

Post   Posted: Dec 21, 2004 - 18:56 Reply with quote Back to top

I think this current backlash may be more to do with the constant stream of imitators popping up.

In 'ye olden days' there was a definate rest period for elf stocks to build up for next season. Now with the constant pounds of new groups I think people are probably getting pretty tired.

What might be a good idea is that any group planning to run into a second season gets together with the various heads of the others to plan out which period in the year these events will take place.

A period of normalcy between seasons would almost certainly do these groups a favour in preventing them from becoming 'samey'.
"Oh great an Amazon Mangling Union *yawn*".

Post   Posted: Dec 21, 2004 - 19:01 Reply with quote Back to top

nazerdemus, with my emphasis wrote:
as far as monopoly goes there are many different strategys you can use to win the game , concentrate on getting sets or concentrate on breaking sets , there are many ways to win , trade frivolosly or never ever ever trade ,

Exactly. Smile

These are things which ultimately help you win the game. You can play whatever strategy you want - analogous to scoring quickly, 2-turn grind, fouling, stalling, whatever you want - so long as you are actually trying to do so in order to score more touchdowns than your opponent. That is the point of the game. That's how you win.

I'm not trying to accuse anyone in whatever league of throwing games. I am saying that the way these leagues operate, in principle, promotes something which I fundamentally disagree with. I could, in theory, go through and play games with no intention of winning and rack up EMU scores. That's something that bothers me, since it gives people a possible incentive to throw games.

Post   Posted: Dec 21, 2004 - 19:03 Reply with quote Back to top

FYI - there is a logic behind the EMU scoring system granting more points for hurting elves than it takes away from being hurt by elves...

I don't care how many of the fodder have to die to claim the shiny white skull of an elf!

The points taken away are just there for the humilation factor of getting yer butt kicked by a pale-puke-pointy ear.

EDIT: yes you can score EMU points and never win a match. But you won't beat the guy who wins and pummels. And the shiny championship is what it is all about.

Last edited by BunnyPuncher on %b %21, %2004 - %19:%Dec; edited 1 time in total
nazerdemus

Post   Posted: Dec 21, 2004 - 19:11 Reply with quote Back to top

I agree that in EMU you could do well without going for the ball , but certin things tend to stop that , firstly the incentive to win for the points is still there and secondly once you have killed half there team it can become hard not to win , and thirdly , for myself The gloat of "yeah I killed all your team " is a bit hollow if you dont win as well .
AlcingRagaholic

Post   Posted: Dec 21, 2004 - 19:27 Reply with quote Back to top

Hehee... maybe it should now be BaldMrMojo?

But to the point:

The point of the matter is that there are people who want nothing to do with the MUs, and then there are people who want nothing to do but see a big number next to something attached to the name of an online persona that doesn't exist.

Let's agree to disagree. MUs can be prevalent. As long as the intentions are clear... you are not required to play a MU team. Plain and simple. Be picky in your games, and remember, there are some good people in the mu's who don't fall under the "BLOODbowl" category of coaching.

Z
 Jump to: