21 coaches online • Server time: 01:38
Forum Chat
Recent Forum Topics goto Post Finishing the 60 Gam...goto Post ramchop takes on the...goto Post Borg Invasion
SearchSearch 
View previous topic Log in to check your private messages View next topic
SkavenLordVinshqueek

Post   Posted: Nov 08, 2016 - 15:55 Reply with quote Back to top

Balle2000 wrote:
Also note: seasons will be slightly quicker in 2017 (by compressing the playoffs-cas cup-off season period, the 10 day game turnaround will remain like before).

Does this also mean we're going to have set seasons during the year? As in: the next one starting in january and being completely finished in march, for example? (each year, until the end of the league)

Post   Posted: Nov 08, 2016 - 16:35 Reply with quote Back to top

SkavenLordVinshqueek wrote:
Balle2000 wrote:
Also note: seasons will be slightly quicker in 2017 (by compressing the playoffs-cas cup-off season period, the 10 day game turnaround will remain like before).

Does this also mean we're going to have set seasons during the year? As in: the next one starting in january and being completely finished in march, for example? (each year, until the end of the league)

Yeah, currently working with the SSL creating the 2017 schedule, which will include both a summer and a winter break.
Grin

Post   Posted: Nov 09, 2016 - 08:51 Reply with quote Back to top

wallenstein wrote:
...some teams are getting bloated but it would be nice to have a little more push for the rookie teams than just the normal inducements.

Word! I started fresh this season and wanted it the norscan way, but man, I can say I haven't suffered so hard for quiet a while as in the Sea of (Razor Sharp) Claws....

Twisted Evil

That's said, why exactly are Star Players forbidden? Wink
HebeFeelya

Post   Posted: Nov 09, 2016 - 10:44 Reply with quote Back to top

So I've been awkwardly creeping on the NSL group page, as well as this thread, for around 3 weeks now...

Do you guys think there'll be any openings next season?
Balle2000

Post   Posted: Nov 09, 2016 - 13:22 Reply with quote Back to top

Thanks for the interest! I can put you on the shortlist if you like?

Please also note that we play mainly on European weekday evenings.

Last edited by Balle2000 on %b %09, %2016 - %13:%Nov; edited 1 time in total
Burnalot

Post   Posted: Nov 09, 2016 - 13:25 Reply with quote Back to top

Balle2000 wrote:

Please also note that we play on European weekday evenings.

What is wrong with weekends?Smile

Post   Posted: Nov 09, 2016 - 13:33 Reply with quote Back to top

Burnalot wrote:
Balle2000 wrote:

Please also note that we play on European weekday evenings.

What is wrong with weekends?Smile

maybe it's one of the new rules? the BBPUGN (BloodBowl Player Union Guild of Norsca) finally got what they wanted, 2 days off per week guaranteed!
Kharon

Post   Posted: Nov 09, 2016 - 14:28 Reply with quote Back to top

Yeah, but those two days are spent working in the (f)logging camps, salt mines or such so that the players can play for their food, lodgings and of course the equipment. And still some southerners claim that the chieftains are cruel and unreasonable masters...
HebeFeelya

Post   Posted: Nov 09, 2016 - 18:22 Reply with quote Back to top

Balle2000 wrote:

Please also note that we play mainly on European weekday evenings.

Sure, that sounds good. If anything, the European time works well for me- considering the hours I'll be working here soon.
Though, I can't say it won't be an issue 6 months from now.
Worst case scenario:
I there are no openings next season, and there's a time issue in the future, preventing me from playing after that.

Either way, I appreciate the effort you guys put into your league. It'd be cool to be a part of the NSL.
Kharon

Post   Posted: Nov 11, 2016 - 21:59 Reply with quote Back to top

Coach Kharon sits on a rickety bench under a large pine and watches his team running on the snow-covered training field. He keeps himself warm by sipping something strong from a flask hidden inside his huge wolfskin cloak. He is in a bad mood. This season's performance by the Storm didn't earn him and his family a ticket home. Instead they are stuck in the isolated village of Vinnskor, waiting for the next season.

"It all started so well." he says aloud, though no-one is there to hear him. Players are too far and too exhausted from the drills to even notice that their coach is having a monologue. "We beat the Sunborn in the true Storm way. Hazelfang getting fouled so bad was a bit of a tragedy, though."

"Next one didn't go that well, oh no. Only Nuffle's sick sense of humour or maybe the High Elves' hubris prevented us from losing. We weren't any good that day. And two dead to set the mood for the trip home." Coach blows his whistle two times, and the players start doing push-ups in the sleet.

"The dwarves were just a downhill slope from there. Defeat, one dead and one split kneecap. With the Sacrifices to Khorne, I thought we got the magic back. Helchon broke his jaw, but I thought nothing of it."

"We had a theoretical shot at the division title if we'd won the rats. Ha! Should've known when I saw that wizard lurking around the pitch. The rats had pulled all the tricks. A deal with the groundskeeper to leave that pothole uncovered, smart. Enough cash for the ref to turn him partially blind; brilliant! Ye gods, what a beating. Wonder nobody died." Three long whistles end the push-ups. Players approach the bench slowly, panting and sweating.

"All right. You know it. I know it. You're stuck with me for at least another season. This season's over for us, no play-offs or championship celebrations this time. And we will start the next season in a bit worse shape than this one. Couple of busted knees just waiting for that one dirty tackle. Hazelfang is slower than the coming of spring. And Dorochon. Gods, boy. You just don't have the common sense to die, do you? It would probably hurt less than living for you."

Coach Kharon looks at the players gathered around him. Two wardancers, one strong like a ulfwerner and the other one casually balancing with one foot on the spiked ball just to show off. He couldn't hope for a better pair. Six linemen, all skilled players. Even the crippled Dorochon. Thrower and catcher learning to play together and read each other. And the treeman, so slow that he had to be carried on and off the pitch so that the game would stay in schedule. But a strong hitter.

Still, Kharon would have to go scouting amongst the new slaves to fill his bench. Some of the men in front of him would be dead before the next season's finals. This didn't make him uneasy. Somehow this northern mentality of "only way out is death" had started to grow on him.

"If only the next season would start sooner...
LemonheadWallenstein

Post   Posted: Nov 13, 2016 - 11:39 Reply with quote Back to top

héhé, nice wrap-up of the season Kharon!
some of your players sure are becoming legendary for all the wrong reasons Smile

For my part good season, but still waiting nervously for the game between Burnalot and Edgar, if the ogres manage to tie or win, I take the title, if not, it's for the orcs (any news on the date guys? I'd like to be there to cheer on the ogres Razz)

and sadly I have to report that after 26 games and 120 blocks, Jari "Danglemildew" Toivonen finally got his first XPs, two causalities in the dicing of the Order of the Snow King in what might well have been their farewell game.
Matthueycamo

Post   Posted: Nov 14, 2016 - 20:08 Reply with quote Back to top

Ok, so thinking about the "reward" for long time coaches I brought up a different idea which could either run in tandem as an either or with the entering the draft again with no down time for a new team. One that would be a reward for sticking with a team for a long time. the reason being some coaches would like to stick with their teams but they are getting pretty crippled and re rolling for a new race is not appealing. Second the only way out really isn't just death anymore as a whole team can get out alive.

So with that's said I have two parts to this, the first is instead of re rolling a team for every 4 seasons a team has played they may fire a couple of permed players. The second is legends can be fired at anytime a coach fancies once they make legend.

Fluff wise I think it has some interesting points, for example it would be a nice prestige thing for a chieftain to have a living legend in his court/retinue whatever you want to call it to show off to other chieftains. For those permed it could for example be that they have been chosen to be sacrificed to the gods, an offering to whichever god the chieftain follows for continued success or to end a rut.

I think for a few people the current reward is not really much of a reward and if the aim is to encourage longevity of teams as well as coaches and something like this will help keep teams around and interesting to play but in a fluffy way.

DLE College 7s
Kharon

Post   Posted: Nov 14, 2016 - 20:52 Reply with quote Back to top

I second Matthueycamo's idea of rewarding seasoned coaches/teams with the ability to fire limited number of players (say 2 players per 4 seasons active). This would help to give longevity to teams, and help keep coaches around.

If this were to happen, I'd make the rules about firing very strict, for example the players to be fired must be:
- permanently injured (no firing healthy players)
- played atleast X matches (10?, no firing newbies who "don't skill right")
- (hire 1 assistant coach per player fired?)
Balle2000

Post   Posted: Nov 14, 2016 - 20:59 Reply with quote Back to top

Thanks for the input guys, but there isn't a plan to implement a form of firing perm'ed players. On-field death for players is the core rule of this league.

Like I said before, the Re-Roll Team Rule is to add a little flexibility for coaches who'd otherwise quit the league entirely because it's no longer entertaining, and was designed to keep people around longer.
LemonheadWallenstein

Post   Posted: Nov 19, 2016 - 17:19 Reply with quote Back to top

edgard, what are you doing? come back! don't let the orcs win by default!
 Jump to: