49 coaches online • Server time: 18:50
Forum Chat
Recent Forum Topics goto Post Making Assassins mor...goto Post ramchop takes on the...goto Post NAF Charity Tourney ...
SearchSearch 
View previous topic Log in to check your private messages View next topic
Poll
Do you believe in Evolution?
Brains ...
52%
 52%  [ 78 ]
Pie
30%
 30%  [ 45 ]
Macavity
16%
 16%  [ 25 ]
Total Votes : 148

pac

Post   Posted: Apr 22, 2008 - 20:00 Reply with quote Back to top

JanMattys wrote:
oh, and btw: SneakyFox's post was perfect in his stating. It was very understanding of the problems that exist about underpopulated divisions on Fumbbl, and admitted there's no "practical" reason not to accept concept teams and joke teams in Ranked, as things are now. Your cutting his post and your consequent reply is very unfair.

I do know what you're getting at here, however:

SneakyFox's post proceeds from the assumption that Ranked is (or at least, should be) the serious division, where serious BB is played by serious people with serious objectives in their serious minds.

Now, this is supported by official site statements, eg: 'The ranked division is the main competetive [sic] division of FUMBBL.'

However, this claim also flies in the face of the reality of the divisions. Ranked is not a competitive division. It is a freakshow. A display of all the weird and wonderful things possible at the extremes of Blood Bowl, from a Troll who's scored almost 60 TDs (at latest count) to an Amazon team who haven't played Dwarves in over 400 games (at latest count).

Ranked is an awful lot of things, but competitive is not one of the first that springs to mind. Indeed, the very place where competition is meant to be at its highest - Ranked Majors - is also the very place where you find the most absurd and bizarre teams (which you can view as entertaining freaks or disreputable abuses - or both - as you please).

Meanwhile, among the divisions which SneakyFox implicitly denigrates as not being competitive or professional and as being the suitable place for teams which are not serious, we have League, where genuine competitions actually do take place in which cherry-picking, elfballing and assorted other tricks of the trade are not possible. And what is more, SneakyFox knows this perfectly well - because he plays in at least one of them!

So, in short, I don't have any time for wishful thinking about what Ranked (or other divisions) ought to be, when the reality of what it is is well-established and shows no signs of changing, still less any movement from the centre to change it.

(In fact, the situation Sneaky talks about - competitive and casual divisions separated - already exists. It's just that it's not as billed: Ranked is the casual division, League the competitive one!)
JanMattys

Post   Posted: Apr 22, 2008 - 20:06 Reply with quote Back to top

Uhm... no.
But to fully explain my "no" would derail this thread too much, so I'll probably write a blog entry about this or even better send you a private pm.
Smile

Post   Posted: Apr 22, 2008 - 20:18 Reply with quote Back to top

JanMattys wrote:
Uhm... no.
But to fully explain my "no" would derail this thread too much, so I'll probably write a blog entry about this or even better send you a private pm.

Boring …

The only way you can argue 'no' is by either: wishing Ranked was something it is not and never will be; or by imagining it is something it is not and never will be.

If it's something else, please post. Smile
Focus

Post   Posted: Apr 22, 2008 - 20:23 Reply with quote Back to top

Ok, I have an idea that's a little out there and am wondering if it will work so I'll run it by you guys. Inspired by Buffy Wink

<b>Evolution of the Slayer</b>

using norse, though zons may work better I already have a zon team and would feel dirty owning two.

All linemen, first player to skill up gets dirty player and becomes the "slayer". It then becomes his job to kill or retire as many undead, khemri, necro or chaos players as possible through fouling. As there can only ever be one slayer no other player may have dp.
If a lineman manages to kill or retire 5 of the above he may evolve a step. If he only manages a few kills or retirements before meeting his death (slayers can never retire) then that tally carries over to the next time he becomes the slayer. As soon as a slayer dies a new one takes his place so the next player to skill must take dp. Stat decreases are all kept on, double niggles retired, 5 niggles max tolerated across the team 6th player and onwards to retire is sacked. Retired players lose all evolution. It then becomes a race to see who can reach minotaur level first.

Lineman - Thrower - Catcher - Blitzer - Minotaur.

What do you think?

Post   Posted: Apr 22, 2008 - 20:25 Reply with quote Back to top

Does a Slayer have to take DP, or is it just that that's the sensible option given the goal? Surely kills from blocks count too, so a Blitzer with MB could happily do the job that way?
Zaghrog

Post   Posted: Apr 22, 2008 - 20:37 Reply with quote Back to top

I guess that idea might work, but I agree with pac: blocks should count too.

'Ere we go, 'ere we go, 'ere we go...
Focus

Post   Posted: Apr 22, 2008 - 20:51 Reply with quote Back to top

Nah I wanted it to be DP, sort of along the theme of fouling the enemy to death and advancing that way. Also, if a player is not the slayer but merely waiting to be chosen as the slayer he can't be evolving as the slayer can he? This is an extremely long term evolution process I'm looking at. Really gives incentive to get as many kills through fouling as possible while you have DP. Also it's not just kills it's also players perma injured and subsequntly retired directly after the game.

While I'm here, with the normal evolution rules how do you decide which of the two branches of evolution a player goes down when they start evolving? That's the main point of confusion I have.

Post   Posted: Apr 22, 2008 - 20:58 Reply with quote Back to top

I once saw an all-thrall vampire team that hired the vampire count whenever possible, and only it would be able to hire new vampires by killing opponent's players. Thusly recruited vampires were able to hire new vampires, but they would be weaker than the first vampires (this was done by disallowing them to take certain skills). I found that to be an amusing idea. Hellishly difficult concept though, but someone might like to try it.

Here's the team actually http://fumbbl.com/FUMBBL.php?page=team&op=view&team_id=399818

Didnt make it far, apparently =)

Post   Posted: Apr 22, 2008 - 21:11 Reply with quote Back to top

Focus wrote:
While I'm here, with the normal evolution rules how do you decide which of the two branches of evolution a player goes down when they start evolving? That's the main point of confusion I have.

I let the coach the player is named after decide - unless they are unavailable or make the wrong decision, in which case I choose.
Eghost

Post   Posted: Apr 22, 2008 - 21:38 Reply with quote Back to top

I'll throw a d2!
Focus

Post   Posted: Apr 22, 2008 - 21:41 Reply with quote Back to top

Ok on my way to inadvertently turning this into an faq, how do you guys deal with the excess cash that ends up lying around? buy+sell assistants? hire stars? beer and hookers?

Post   Posted: Apr 22, 2008 - 22:01 Reply with quote Back to top

Focus wrote:
Ok on my way to inadvertently turning this into an faq, how do you guys deal with the excess cash that ends up lying around? buy+sell assistants? hire stars? beer and hookers?

I'm just saving it until people die. I might buy a Wizard if an opponent asked nicely.
SillySod

Post   Posted: Apr 22, 2008 - 22:59 Reply with quote Back to top

Focus wrote:
Ok, I have an idea that's a little out there and am wondering if it will work so I'll run it by you guys. Inspired by Buffy Wink

<b>Evolution of the Slayer</b>

using norse, though zons may work better I already have a zon team and would feel dirty owning two.

All linemen, first player to skill up gets dirty player and becomes the "slayer". It then becomes his job to kill or retire as many undead, khemri, necro or chaos players as possible through fouling. As there can only ever be one slayer no other player may have dp.
If a lineman manages to kill or retire 5 of the above he may evolve a step. If he only manages a few kills or retirements before meeting his death (slayers can never retire) then that tally carries over to the next time he becomes the slayer. As soon as a slayer dies a new one takes his place so the next player to skill must take dp. Stat decreases are all kept on, double niggles retired, 5 niggles max tolerated across the team 6th player and onwards to retire is sacked. Retired players lose all evolution. It then becomes a race to see who can reach minotaur level first.

Lineman - Thrower - Catcher - Blitzer - Minotaur.

What do you think?

Dont restrict it to one player.... you'll never get anywhere, or count all kills/retirements but only allow a single DP.

Secondly make the player kill 5 others to death upon reching minotaur stage for the win. If they die at minotaur or lower stage then they remain at their current level and are brought back when there is space.... with the minotaur cycle it so you have a waiting list Smile

Edit: oh and buffy is a vampire slayer, add vampires (not thralls) to your list.

"There are those to whom knowledge is a shield. There are those to whom it is a weapon. Neither view is balanced."
Chickenbrain

Post   Posted: Apr 22, 2008 - 23:07 Reply with quote Back to top

SneakyFox wrote:
I am not a big fan of making this kind of themed teams in Ranked. It sort of isn't professional and Ranked is still suppose to be the competitive division.

Actually it is a great competition to play an evolution team. It might be easy for cherry pickers against any given evolution team, but cherry pickers do find their cherries anyways. So where is the issue?

Post   Posted: Apr 22, 2008 - 23:09 Reply with quote Back to top

Chickenbrain wrote:
SneakyFox wrote:
I am not a big fan of making this kind of themed teams in Ranked. It sort of isn't professional and Ranked is still suppose to be the competitive division.

Actually it is a great competition to play an evolution team. It might be easy for cherry pickers against any given evolution team, but cherry pickers do find their cherries anyways. So where is the issue?

The issue is buried somewhere in Sneaky's black box obsession.
 Jump to: