40 coaches online • Server time: 23:34
Forum Chat
Recent Forum Topics goto Post Finishing the 60 Gam...goto Post GIF Guidegoto Post TSC Draft
SearchSearch 
View previous topic Log in to check your private messages View next topic
Mates

Post   Posted: Nov 19, 2008 - 22:06 Reply with quote Back to top

/signed

Post   Posted: Nov 19, 2008 - 22:08 Reply with quote Back to top

Signed
Panda_

Post   Posted: Nov 19, 2008 - 22:28 Reply with quote Back to top

aerofool wrote:
I know I'm probably going to get my face bashed in for this one, but what-ever..

Two teams with equal TR/TS in itself seems balanced. I agree that there does need to be some tweaking in how TR/TS are calculated. However, I can't see a CR 180 coach playing a CR 143 coach with identical teams anywhere near a fair and even match. The coach with the more experience and better win ratio will still decimate the lesser guy with equal teams nine out of 10 times just because he/she is a more skilled coach. I understand there are some people who have found ways to pump up their CR with devious actions, but I'm going upon the basis that the system is fair from the start, like intended. I for one don't want to play any coaches who's CR is ten points or more higher than mine. Implementing a TS only system will leave all like-minded coaches never wanting into such an inspired system.

Christer is doing his best to try to come up with a fair draw system that not only takes teams strengths into account, but how well they perform and how skilled the coach is with that team. He's far from a perfect formula, but I feel he's getting there. Leaving it at TS alone is not the answer! Like Pac said, give it time and let us see how this eventually hits or misses Christer's goal.

That kind of reasoning is valid for [R] (and keep it there), However i don't think it has do with [B] where people except to play similar team levels play. In [B], you are given the same resources than your "opponent" and both coachs struggle to get the advantage.

Plus using BR in the matching formula have a huge drawback: if one coach have 2 teams (one to lose and one to win), he can keep his BR under control and the winteam will have a insane record easily. This will turn Blackbox into cherrypicking division as you can do in Ranked. The only difference is that R would only be free from automatisation.

/signed

Last edited by Panda_ on %b %19, %2008 - %22:%Nov; edited 1 time in total
Zuul

Post   Posted: Nov 19, 2008 - 22:28 Reply with quote Back to top

/signed
oryx

Post   Posted: Nov 19, 2008 - 22:43 Reply with quote Back to top

/signed
Shimin

Post   Posted: Nov 19, 2008 - 22:48 Reply with quote Back to top

/signed

As i see it, BR adjustment is like saying it's ok to cheat if you really suck.

Furthermore, i too believe that losing 9 out of 10 times to a better coach with even teams, makes you play better by learning. Winning with a stronger team doesnt, just makes you feel what its like to be better than you are.

Playing my undead team in [R] has been a learning process so far ending up with me in an OT smack final against Purplechests Orcs. I was satisfied for i learned.

Live to learn and learn as long as you live... Let that be your motivation instead of i want to win at any cost (then you can go play Counterstrike and use a lot of cheats!).
Hogshine

Post   Posted: Nov 19, 2008 - 22:57 Reply with quote Back to top

Synn wrote:
I have been fortunate enough to mentor quite a few coaches on here. Mistermurphy, Meech, and Ro are three of my favorites. I NEVER offered to play them on unfair terms in their favor. Instead, they earned their wins against me and I would like to think became better coaches in the process.

Peace,
__Synn

My first (and only) game against Synn, which resulted in a tie. I'm not sure the luck percentages entirely represent the game, but I am sure that as a result of playing a fair match against a far superior coach, I learned a lot more than if I'd had a 10TS advantage. As Synn says, I felt like I'd earned that tie. I would guess that the gap between me and Synn is no longer so large (certainly in absolute CR terms), but I still wouldn't want to feel as if I were given any sort of advantage over him just because he's a better coach.

Furthermore, I agree with everything else Synn has said as well, but my personal experience was particularly relevant to this.

/signed
Purplegoo

Post   Posted: Nov 19, 2008 - 23:04 Reply with quote Back to top

Let's not all agree with Synn...

If he starts believing press he gets as well as the stuff he puts out himself, we really are in for a monster. Very Happy
Hogshine

Post   Posted: Nov 19, 2008 - 23:14 Reply with quote Back to top

True. I should make it clear that I only agree with him here. I do not, in any way, endorse his weekend activities. Or what he chooses to store in his basement.
Diabl0658

Post   Posted: Nov 19, 2008 - 23:20 Reply with quote Back to top

/signed

Post   Posted: Nov 19, 2008 - 23:25 Reply with quote Back to top

/signed

Defeating good players when you're rubbish is easy anyway. Fact.
Emeyin

Post   Posted: Nov 20, 2008 - 00:41 Reply with quote Back to top

/signed
DeMoorck

Post   Posted: Nov 20, 2008 - 00:46 Reply with quote Back to top

/signed

Post   Posted: Nov 20, 2008 - 01:10 Reply with quote Back to top

Hogshine wrote:
True. I should make it clear that I only agree with him here. I do not, in any way, endorse his weekend activities. Or what he chooses to store in his basement.

lol

I'd like to make it clear that I do not completly agree with everithing Synn has written in this thread, it just suscited some thoughts (I blame him for that!) that led to my own oppinion.
I have no basement to store things in (but I do have some kind of cellar)
And I see a relation between weekend activities and wicked activities... so better not to make further comments.
Lofwyr

Post   Posted: Nov 20, 2008 - 01:39 Reply with quote Back to top

/signed

I want to earn every victory in a fair way and don`t want to get TS-Advantage as a present.
 Jump to: