30 coaches online • Server time: 14:29
Forum Chat
Recent Forum Topics goto Post Finishing the 60 Gam...goto Post Borg Invasiongoto Post GIF Guide
SearchSearch 
View previous topic Log in to check your private messages View next topic
Poll
How would you describe your position on this matter?
I use all tactics i need to to win and NEVER care when it's done back to me
28%
 28%  [ 72 ]
I'll happily use all tactics i need to but i must admit i do sometimes get annoyed by the tactics of others
16%
 16%  [ 42 ]
I'll use all tactics i need to.... until i no longer feel its needed and hope my opponent does the same
44%
 44%  [ 111 ]
I'll play how I want to and get annoyed if the opponent uses certain tactics that i dont like
10%
 10%  [ 25 ]
Total Votes : 250

Nextflux

Post   Posted: Nov 25, 2008 - 13:52 Reply with quote Back to top

I can't qoute everyone.

To Janmattys:
Defining excessive in an example:
leading 2-0, second half, more than 75% in the injury box, less than 3 players on the pitch.
--
You are clearly winning, he can't take away your victory, and he can't really hurt you, unless hes extreamly lucky
You have been fouling him all the way so far, and hes moving away to protect his players..
--
you move after him to foul some more = excessive.
--
To all:
So excuse me for beeing so incredibly unfair and such an ass that I wount play such a player.
but thats the way it is

To vampy:
you got one thing right.. its my choice.. if you dont like it, I don't care
I am not having a number in my head
EXACTLY 180 or EXACTLY 160, if you read my previous messages, I tried to explain the difference of an 180 coach and a 160 coach there
160 coach is easier to fight against = I have better chance of saving my own ass or foul back
reason for excluding is SELF PRESERVING, to protect my teams from futher damage from this ass coach.
just rally all fummbl to spit on me if you like it, just because I don't have a main steam understanding of excessive fouling.. or that I wont play certain coaches..
I dont care about that eather..
Ranzimus

Post   Posted: Nov 25, 2008 - 14:00 Reply with quote Back to top

Stalling is annoying, but not an invalid tactic. If someone is doing it, they should be expecting that they will get fouled mercilessly if their opponent is able. It's kind of like crowding the plate in MLB and getting brushed back by the pitcher? I don't "stall" as much as "hesitate" on my way to the score. If it is nearly half and turn 6, why give your opponent 2 turns to score after kickoff, if you don't have to? It is really up to him to stay out of a situation where you are able to do that, right?

What is my point.... Oh yeah! I use fouling and stalling as spice, not as a whole-game strategy. My only DPs are on my Zons and Dark Elfs. I think having DP on a bash team is excessive and shows that you are playing a different game than I. Having a game decided by "Get The Ref" makes it silly. lol!
arv9673

Post   Posted: Nov 25, 2008 - 14:03 Reply with quote Back to top

Hey, Look everybody! A fouling thread!! And I thought they were extinct. Silly me. Oh, and I agree with vanGorn: What the hell are TACTICS??!?
Vampy

Post   Posted: Nov 25, 2008 - 14:14 Reply with quote Back to top

Nextflux wrote:
I can't qoute everyone.

To Janmattys:
leading 2-0, second half, more than 75% in the injury box, less than 3 players on the pitch.
--
You are clearly winning, he can't take away your victory, and he can't really hurt you, unless hes extreamly lucky
You have been fouling him all the way so far, and hes moving away to protect his players..
--
--
To all:
So excuse me for beeing so incredibly unfair and such an ass that I wount play such a player.
but thats the way it is

To vampy:
you got one thing right.. its my choice.. if you dont like it, I don't care
I am not having a number in my head
EXACTLY 180 or EXACTLY 160, if you read my previous messages, I tried to explain the difference of an 180 coach and a 160 coach there
160 coach is easier to fight against = I have better chance of saving my own ass or foul back
reason for excluding is SELF PRESERVING, to protect my teams from futher damage from this ass coach.
just rally all fummbl to spit on me if you like it, just because I don't have a main steam understanding of excessive fouling.. or that I wont play certain coaches..
I dont care about that eather..

Well with regards to Jan he is saying that a scenario like that did happen to him and he Didn't foul the Ogre and it cost him a player. So you see, it's important to wipe them out. All of them Wink

*goes to find a bigger stick*
Nextflux

Post   Posted: Nov 25, 2008 - 14:27 Reply with quote Back to top

thats not JanMattys scenario, thats mine.
as you can read from it, the example doesnt show that the player is doing blocks, he is moving AWAY.

So what you loose a player once every milennia due to beeing a nicer guy, maybe it gives you more matches, maybe that noob you kicked ass
whos on gamefinder right now wants to play you?
or maybe not .. because you have been such an ass last time that he wount play you..and you can't get any more matches that day
180 coaches would generally be thouse who have most to win from beeing a nicer guy at certain times, maybe thats part of some grand stagey to
get matches more easy, whatever.. , no need to piss off the noob anyway, not always..

my point is. that regardless of what is smarter on the short term of things, it isnt nessesary the smartest on long term.
pac

Post   Posted: Nov 25, 2008 - 14:53 Reply with quote Back to top

You want to know about Jan Mattys? Let me tell you about Jan Mattys.

Jan Mattys was a baker. Or at least, people called him a baker. He just thought of himself as man who did what needed to be done. And on the mean streets of 16th century Amsterdam, a lot needed to be done. Sometimes that meant baking some bread. Sometimes that meant baptising thousands of converts.

Of course, a lot of bishops didn't take kindly to all this baking. Or maybe it was the baptising. It didn't really matter to Jan Mattys. If life wasn't tough enough on the streets of Amsterdam (and Munster), it gets tougher when the bishops are on your case. All Jan Mattys knew - and as he'd tell anyone after a glass or two of bourbon - was that when life got tough and the bishops were on your case you couldn't take it lying down. (Although, after a few more bourbons, lying down in the gutter was exactly where he ended up. But then, there wasn't a gutter in Amsterdam - or Munster - you could step over without passing a sozzled preacher, bishop, baker, merchant or duke. Those were the kinds of times they were.)

So, when it came to a showdown between Jan Mattys and the bishops, and his head ended up on the end of a pike, it didn't come as a surprise to those who knew him. They were the wrong kinds of times for a man like him, who wouldn't take no for an answer and who couldn't walk past a bishop without spitting ...

Last edited by pac on %b %26, %2008 - %12:%Nov; edited 1 time in total
SillySod

Post   Posted: Nov 25, 2008 - 14:55 Reply with quote Back to top

Nextflux wrote:
--
--

Wait... what if the guy wants SPPs for blitz cas, then it makes sense to run after those players to try and blitz them. Only, oops, you realise that the guy you just ran down wasnt even stunned so might stand up and treblepow your guy into the injury box. Oh well, guess he needs fouling after all... without it being excessive Wink

Excessive is just an artificial line in the sand, the only truly "pointless" foul would be if they dont have a turn left or if they only have one and all their guys are stunned. Either way.... one foul isnt going to make that much difference Very Happy

"There are those to whom knowledge is a shield. There are those to whom it is a weapon. Neither view is balanced."
Vampy

Post   Posted: Nov 25, 2008 - 14:56 Reply with quote Back to top

pac wrote:

Jan Mattys was a baker. Or at least, people called him a baker. He just thought of himself as man who did what needed to be done. And on the mean streets of 16th century Amsterdam, a lot needed to be done. Sometimes that meant baking some bread. Sometimes that meant baptising thousands of converts.

Of course, a lot of bishops didn't take kindly to all this baking. Or maybe it was the baptising. It didn't really matter to Jan Mattys. If life wasn't tough enough on the streets of Amsterdam (and Munster), it gets tougher when the bishops are on your case. All Jan Mattys knew - and as he'd tell anyone after a glass or two of bourbon - was that when life got tough and the bishops were on your case you couldn't take it lying down. (Although, after a few more bourbons, lying down in the gutter was exactly where he ended up. But then, there wasn't a gutter in Amsterdam - or Munster - you could step over without passing a sozzled preacher, bishop, baker, merchant or duke. Those were the kinds of times they were.)

So, when it came to a showdown between Jan Mattys and the bishops, and his head ended up on the end of a pike, it didn't come as a surprise to those who knew him. They were the wrong kind of times for a man like him, who wouldn't take no for an answer and who couldn't walk past a bishop without spitting ...

Shocked

Laughing
CircularLogic

Post   Posted: Nov 25, 2008 - 15:04 Reply with quote Back to top

SillySod wrote:

Excessive is just an artificial line in the sand, the only truly "pointless" foul would be if they dont have a turn left or if they only have one and all their guys are stunned. Either way.... one foul isnt going to make that much difference Very Happy

Ha! 849 games times one 'pointless foul' means 849 pointless fouls... and do you want to claim, that 849 fouls aren`t going to make a difference?
Nextflux

Post   Posted: Nov 25, 2008 - 15:11 Reply with quote Back to top

SillySod wrote:
Nextflux wrote:
--
--

Wait... what if the guy wants SPPs for blitz cas, then it makes sense to run after those players to try and blitz them. Only, oops, you realise that the guy you just ran down wasnt even stunned so might stand up and treblepow your guy into the injury box. Oh well, guess he needs fouling after all... without it being excessive Wink

well.. defintions are always different..
you say that he "needs" fouling anyway, so if that doesnt makes it excessive I don't know..
this particular example shows that he has been fouling fouling and fouling all day, and he wants to run.. maybe even go for it to foul again, its not about scoring/winning..or protecting your own players.. its about fouling, cuz its so fun do do, especially if you are a top class fumbbl player..
really.. it makes you a big bully.. nothing else
except if your paulhicks (to let you know ITS FOULING TIME BUDDY)
for me.. (unless I want to have some fun and play paulhicks)
I try to avoid such players, because I dont want my team to get destroyed, what others do is up to them
I want to have a fun/satisfying game, I dont want to play to get my team destroyed.. sure I foul sometimes, and sometimes more than often.. but I dont attempt to do all in my power to destroy the team, nuffle can do that if he likes.
so I just avoid thouse guys I remember was "fouling excessive" as per my definition of it..
Its not a big deal... you all make such a fuzz about me drawing a line..
JanMattys

Post   Posted: Nov 25, 2008 - 15:28 Reply with quote Back to top

pac wrote:

So, when it came to a showdown between Jan Mattys and the bishops, and his head ended up on the end of a pike, it didn't come as a surprise to those who knew him. They were the wrong kind of times for a man like him, who wouldn't take no for an answer and who couldn't walk past a bishop without spitting ...

I really, really need to make a Munster-themed team for DivB.
Suggestions for the race?
Skaven maybe, trying to build a gutter? Very Happy

Post   Posted: Nov 25, 2008 - 15:34 Reply with quote Back to top

Nextflux wrote:
So what you loose a player once every milennia due to beeing a nicer guy, maybe it gives you more matches, maybe that noob you kicked ass
whos on gamefinder right now wants to play you?
or maybe not .. because you have been such an ass last time that he wount play you..and you can't get any more matches that day

You clearly missed my point by about 10 miles, so let me help you getting it by quoting myself:

JanMattys wrote:
I'm not saying that the goal should always be to pitch-clear... but everytime you don't push the pedal all the way down, you must know you're risking something. And such a decision it's really up to you, but you shouldn't assume that it's a behaviour to be expected.

It's not a matter of being merciful vs being ruthless... It's a matter of doing everything you can to keep control over bad luck, or trading a part of your safety to let your opponent feel like you don't want to overkill him.

It's a choice, but it's hard to say which stance has the moral highground.

There.

Also, let me add that you're suggesting me that I shouldn't care about losing a player, but you also claim it pisses you off when I chase yours down.
Decide. Either you think players are important, or you don't. If they are important, THEN I should do my best to protect them (remember that even if you run away and I score turn 16, you could have YOUR turn 16 on LoS and block my players... something you can't do if I put all your team in the injury box).
If they are not important, you should really take it all in good humor and don't assume I'm an asshole just because I try and kill your pixels.

It goes both ways, man.

Post   Posted: Nov 25, 2008 - 15:43 Reply with quote Back to top

I don't know anything about Munster ...

Except that when a good-looking dame turns up in the office of a washed-up baker turned private investi - er, preacher, it can only spell one thing. And that one thing is trouble.

Jan Mattys was one guy who had seen trouble spelled out in front of him many times. This particular trouble was tall and blonde and didn't belong in a joint like this. He knew where it was all going to lead: another battle with the bishops. And when you come up against the bishops, it's all you can do to break even. No bishop ever dealt a fair hand. And Jan Mattys had never picked one up.

But if there were two things Jan Mattys couldn't resist they were a scrap with the bishops and baptising another case of blonde trouble. And puff pastries. With a shot of bourbon ...
SillySod

Post   Posted: Nov 25, 2008 - 15:44 Reply with quote Back to top

Good point. A true pixel hugger should stomp as many players as they can Laughing

"There are those to whom knowledge is a shield. There are those to whom it is a weapon. Neither view is balanced."
JanMattys

Post   Posted: Nov 25, 2008 - 15:46 Reply with quote Back to top

pac wrote:
I don't know anything about Munster ...

Except that when a good-looking dame turns up in the office of a washed-up baker turned private investi - er, preacher, it can only spell one thing. And that one thing is trouble.

Jan Mattys was one guy who had seen trouble spelled out in front of him many times. This particular trouble was tall and blonde and didn't belong in a joint like this. He knew where it was all going to lead: another battle with the bishops. And when you come up against the bishops, it's all you can do to break even. No bishop ever dealt a fair hand. And Jan Mattys had never picked one up.

But if there were two things Jan Mattys couldn't resist they were a scrap with the bishops and baptising another case of blonde trouble. And puff pastries. With a shot of bourbon ...

Someone cut his weed supplies!
Very Happy