27 coaches online • Server time: 10:41
Forum Chat
Recent Forum Topics goto Post Finishing the 60 Gam...goto Post NCBB TVgoto Post Borg Invasion
SearchSearch 
View previous topic Log in to check your private messages View next topic
Poll
Should we change the rules to encourage more passing?
Yes
19%
 19%  [ 15 ]
No
80%
 80%  [ 62 ]
Total Votes : 77

bghandras

Post   Posted: Jun 01, 2015 - 15:02 Reply with quote Back to top

markor wrote:
Bghandras, you might disagree but you haven't explained why stalling wouldn't be affected by the rule changes I suggested, whereas I have suggested why it would (and have experienced it in games). Again, I am not saying this would make it impossible to stall, I'm just saying it would make it slightly harder to stall.

What matchup would prove my point? You can pick the race, and I accept the challenge to stall with those.

I would argue that an orc team full of guard is more capable at stopping a stall, than an orc team without guard. On the other hand I don't see it harder to stall with rookie orcs than with developed orcs. You can take it as a rumor, or at face value, it is up to you. But in case you want the point in practice, then set a hypothesis, and see it played and watch the tricks and plans.
markor

Post   Posted: Jun 01, 2015 - 15:04 Reply with quote Back to top

You don't seem to understand what I'm saying, I'm not saying you can't stall without those skills, I'm saying that it would be slightly harder to do so without them.
Harad

Post   Posted: Jun 01, 2015 - 15:04 Reply with quote Back to top

markor wrote:
Harad, I agree that major changes like those you were suggesting would need major adjustments to other rules to ensure a balanced game, that is why I was suggesting relatively minor changes to make a passing game relatively more effective (I would be happy if someone scored a td like this against me once in 10 games!).

This is the point I am trying to make though. We could make a minor adjustment but by definition that will have a minor effect on the amount of passing. For example if we changed the rule to 'the player only Fumbbls on a natural 1' that increases the relative effectiveness. And you would see slightly more passes. But would it be enough to satisfy you? Almost by definition, for it to satisfy you, it has to be enough to meaningfully change behaviours. And for it to meaningfully change behaviours it has to meaningfully change the balance.

As I said, we could definitely nudge it in a direction and if there ever were a change to the rules there might be one but it is likely to be a minor adjustment given the current balance.
markor

Post   Posted: Jun 01, 2015 - 15:06 Reply with quote Back to top

You don't seem to understand my point: I'm not saying that it is impossible to stall without those skills, I'm saying that it would be slightly harder to do so if they were removed. And I don't think orcs need it to get at a ball-carrier as they have S4 players to crack a cage open. Dwarves don't need it because they have trollslayers and deathrollers.
Wreckage

Post   Posted: Jun 01, 2015 - 15:08 Reply with quote Back to top

This thread is growing too fast for me to follow it. Smile
markor

Post   Posted: Jun 01, 2015 - 15:08 Reply with quote Back to top

Yes, the fumble rule, why did they change that? Because everyone was playing a passing game? I would be happy with the last boxset of blood bowl rules.
Dalfort

Post   Posted: Jun 01, 2015 - 15:09 Reply with quote Back to top

markor wrote:
Dalfort, I'm not telling anyone anything, I asked them a question (this is a poll thread!). I think a lot of people made the same choice you did, and others just stopped playing. I will continue to play while I am having fun most of the time, but I can see a day when I get bored with watching teams grind their way to a 2-1 against me - I'm sure some would be glad to see me and my ilk go, but there are others like you who might actually enjoy the game more if the rules were changed.

Sorry I meant it as advice rather than a scolding (Dad side of me coming through Smile ). Perhaps I should have said "not to suggest to others they are cooking them wrong" then? Very Happy

Post   Posted: Jun 01, 2015 - 15:09 Reply with quote Back to top

Hah, not bad for a done-to-death topic. And I have 20% in favour at the moment.
markor

Post   Posted: Jun 01, 2015 - 15:11 Reply with quote Back to top

Dalfort, so no one can suggest rule changes?
Harad

Post   Posted: Jun 01, 2015 - 15:12 Reply with quote Back to top

Markor - the more direct answer to nerfing guard is:

Yes it would probably make it harder to stall (although it may make it easier as guard can work for either side). It wouldn't stop stalling as you acknowledge.

The issue is a) should we reduce stalling b) guard is a major skill and changing it would alter the balance of the game in many ways and need a lot of thinking and play testing to make sure the game balance was still good.
Wreckage

markor wrote:
Hah, not bad for a done-to-death topic. And I have 20% in favour at the moment.

It's not been done to death, trust me Wink.
And you're really fast at responding and basically quarreling with everyone at the same time, so that seems to work.
bghandras

markor wrote:
You don't seem to understand what I'm saying, I'm not saying you can't stall without those skills, I'm saying that it would be slightly harder to do so without them.

Well, I think it is EASIER to stall with most rookie teams than with developed teams. As far as I know no rookie team has either guard or piling on.
markor

Anyway, I can see that the 'nays' have it, so I will just ask if there are any leagues, etc that play using the rules that came in the last box set.
markor

Post   Posted: Jun 01, 2015 - 15:13 Reply with quote Back to top

Thanks for the compliment, Wreckage.
bghandras

Post   Posted: Jun 01, 2015 - 15:14 Reply with quote Back to top

If somebody runs a league with short "halves", then I will sign up. I would give a go to that anti-stall measure.