30 coaches online • Server time: 10:38
Forum Chat
Recent Forum Topics goto Post SWL Season CIgoto Post BB2016 Ranked, Leagu...goto Post Borg Invasion
SearchSearch 
View previous topic Log in to check your private messages View next topic
RC

Post   Posted: Aug 29, 2006 - 18:49 Reply with quote Back to top

bump!
So whats happening in the league?

Post   Posted: Sep 01, 2006 - 14:38 Reply with quote Back to top

Bump - When will the play offs start?

The Rules state

"Playoffs start 1.9. and the deadlines are 8.9. and 15.9."

I'm in the playoffs but haven't heard about when they will start. Has this league died as there still seem to be quite a few games left to play in round 7 (deadline was 29/08/2006)?
Walks_in_the_Sun

Post   Posted: Sep 01, 2006 - 14:46 Reply with quote Back to top

I think it's "Not quite dead yet..."

My Nightmares just had a disheartening but close loss to the shorthanded Slipslidinaway. Bad ball-handling prevented the Nightmares from tying up the game, but they did manage a pair of touchdowns and their desperate, hard-luck defense managed to net one dead and one weakened elf. The whole affair was pretty exciting, and met with the approval of the fans.

Thus, unable to secure a victory in the second half of the season, they lost their chance at a playoff run, giving up the spot to the elven victors.

Last edited by Walks_in_the_Sun on %b %11, %2006 - %18:%Sep; edited 8 times in total
Xenon

Post   Posted: Sep 01, 2006 - 14:48 Reply with quote Back to top

Nice to hear there are others out there that are enjoying this league. I'm loving it and feel it would be a shame if it truely died! Bring on the Undead in the play offs!
Kyyberi

Post   Posted: Sep 03, 2006 - 11:06 Reply with quote Back to top

Sorry guys, I have been almost living in the school 24/7 for this week. I'm going (?) to graduate in few weeks, and I need to do things in school from 8am to 8pm. And after that I need to do my sports coaching stuff every day, so I haven't got time to be at home almost at all.

NFL is not dead, the playoffs will begin today. I need to figure out how to make a proper seeding, and I will send a group PM to all after it is done.

I'm going to live at school for the next week also, so I won't be online much. I'll try to check the pm's every now and then to see if anyone has any problems or something else to tell me.

But as I said, the playoffs will kick on today.

Post   Posted: Sep 11, 2006 - 18:48 Reply with quote Back to top

I looked at the numbers again and got a little pick-me-up. Though I did end up last in my division, I had more points than all other 4th place teams and some 3rd place teams. I was only 2 pts shy of having 3d outright, and within 20 of 1st. My division had the most wins, and did not lose any cross-division games. Go Bloodsville Div A!
Xenon

Post   Posted: Sep 14, 2006 - 14:33 Reply with quote Back to top

Fluffy Little Terrors 1 - 2 Contract from below

Absolute Nail Biter of a playoff this one. Could have easily gone either way. Some big chances for a win by either side in normal time were punished by unlucky rolls sending this tense playoff into sudden death OT.
Sadly by this stage few skaven were left on the pitch and when "Splinter" was about to be carried off the pitch with a minor injury, the apocothary thought he'd waited long enough and ran on to give him treatment. 2 turns later "Hairy" was carried off in a coffin and the game was lost to the undead score. If only the OT kick had gone the other way!

Been a great season, just a shame that so many people seem to have sacked this league off! If this ends up being the only play off game played then I would say that it is a deserving final for the tournment as it was sooo close and both teams were really going for it!
Purplegoo

Post   Posted: Sep 14, 2006 - 15:05 Reply with quote Back to top

It's a sad state of affairs that such a high percentage of playoff games have so far gone unplayed.

I enjoy the NFL concept - multiple seasons competing against primarily the same three teams under a TR cap should make for very individual divisions full of unusual skill choices and great rivalries. Sadly, however, this league looks pretty much dead. Is it the concept that people haven't enjoyed, or have we just been unlucky with some coaches losing interest or having RL issues and not getting games played?

Suggestions for season 2, if it happens:

Reduction of the amount of points a bounty hunt provides.

TR cap - install an NFL Draft type system. Obviously free, new players is impossible on FUMBBL, but the draft system in the NFL is designed to promote parity. How about the team who finishes top of a division one season is restricted under a lower TR cap for the next season, and the bottom team a higher one? Thus promoting parity. e.g;

1st - TR 160
2nd - 170
3rd - 180
4th - 190

But that's just my feelings. I would participate in another season of the NFL, but only if we had dedicated coaches and far less dropped games.
Walks_in_the_Sun

Post   Posted: Sep 14, 2006 - 15:28 Reply with quote Back to top

Yeah, I was only in for half, but I was enjoying it. It's really depressing to be beaten out of a playoff slot only to see those who made it not play their games.
Kyyberi

Post   Posted: Sep 14, 2006 - 17:20 Reply with quote Back to top

My own thoughts about droppings/unplayed games are these:

First, we might had some bad luck on coaches. Some coaches dropped as they saw that they are not so dedicated, and few had IRL issues. I totally understand that "real life" goes before BB. Some of the dropping coaches contacted me and told that they need to leave, and big respect for that. And some didn't say anything, no respect for that.

Second, the middle of the season was during the holiday season. I think it affected NFL, as some players were offline for some periods. Again, some coaches notified me about it, and some not.

I surely would like to continue running NFL, and I think that if we have the coaches we have now, Season 2 will be better on played games than Season 1 was.

If you guys have ideas how to improve the concept, bring them on! The TR cap that Purplegoo suggested might work. But what about new teams and dropping teams? All have that TR 175 cap? Interesting idea, would be nice to hear thought from other coaches too.

Reducing the Bounty Hunt points is something that I disagree. During this season, only 1 Bounty Hunt got collected. Building rivalries and "hated" players in one part of the NFL ideology, something to make it a little unique from "normal" tourneys.

One thing I have had in my mind is those cross-conference games. How about putting the best teams from divisions against each other, and the worst ones against each other? That would balance thing a little, and that's how it is done in real NFL. And in NHL as far as I know.

Post   Posted: Sep 14, 2006 - 18:36 Reply with quote Back to top

I'd like to see two cross-division games, and maybe some kind of All-Star Game/Pro Bowl. (I know such a thing is possible, but I have no idea the mechanics).
Xenon

Post   Posted: Sep 14, 2006 - 19:00 Reply with quote Back to top

I enjoyed this concept and agree with Kyyberi that we shouldn't reduce the bounty hunt points as these didn't seem to add much for season 1 anyway even with the TWO that were collected. In future games they could make a big difference I agree, but this gives coaches more of an incentive to watch their stars and changes the flavour of the group in a posotive way IMO.
I would be committed to keeping the terrors in for season 2, provided that we could get a decent corps of players also commited to the group. I'm not sure about your comments about already having this, Kyyberi, as the play off games say it all!
I love the closed group idea of this league as purplegoo said as it means that teams develop differently (e.g. in our group we all top loaded on tackle to cope with the zons). Another cross divisional would be nice and also the idea of ranking the teams in the cross divisional would also be an improvement IMO.
Purplegoo

Post   Posted: Sep 14, 2006 - 20:00 Reply with quote Back to top

I like the bounty hunts! Don’t get me wrong! Very Happy

I just think that if I kill a nice 35spp player like the one in the example in the group page, both I and the player who placed the bounty would get 8 points. A 1-0 win in the league is worth 11, and a 0-0 draw worth 4. I'm assuming no cas. So, in a 7 game season - is a big bounty such as this worth almost as much as a tight win?! I'm not sure. Granted, there were only two bounties collected in season one, and the TR cap stops any monster stars being created in the NFL, so bounties wouldn't ever be worth a win and a half, say. Fair enough, on balance, maybe I'm convinced in the short term. The figure of bounties collected will significantly increase in season 2, I predict, and I guess we'll see how much effect this has overall. Seems almost <i>too much</i> incentive for me to gang-foul those blodge Zons for 16 turns though! If I keep the score at 1-0, I might only get 2 less points out of the game (1 cas for me on the death)!

Yep, I'd be all for a second cross-divisional, and ranking those matchups. I guess the TR 'Draft cap' is something that could only come in when we have a settled, thriving league, and then replacement coaches would simply have to assume the cap of the team they replace.

Lastly, RL comes first, no doubt. But if the league isn't in real trouble now, when 75% of playoff games to get to the big final go unplayed, when is it <i>not</i>?!
Kyyberi

Post   Posted: Sep 14, 2006 - 23:14 Reply with quote Back to top

Two cross-conference games would be sweet, but it takes regular season to 8 games. If it is ok for coaches, that would definitely add more fun to the tournament. In my opinion, weekly schedule is the best for tournament like this. It keeps the pace relatively fast, and the season is pretty quick. With 8 games, it would take about 2 months still. With 1½ week schedule, it takes 3 months. The problem is that whit weekly schedule, any IRL event will make it hard to get the game played. Some of us have 7 days in week to play BB, but as myself I know that some have only weekends or few evenings in a week. That is why there was this 1½ week schedule in this season. 2 weeks is the best for getting games played, but then the tournament is quite slow and dull.

The thing that worries me is the effort from the coaches to get the games played. In theory, as soon as you know your next opponent (usually you know them before the previous round ends) you should send pm's and try to find time for the game. But in practise, it goes usually so that both coaches just wait to catch the opponent in #fumbbl or something similar. I have been in tournaments, and I have been "quilty" for that. And when the deadline approaches, pm's are sent, but it might be hard to find dates.

And another thing that sounds odd is that coach A sends pm to coach B, who reads it, but doesn't respond. It is NOT a matter of time, as it takes about 1 min to reply and tell your availability times.

And those words go to everyone who participates in ANY tournament. Try to play the games as soon as possible. It's easy to think "well, I'm pretty sure that I'll see him in #fumbbl, I'll contact him then", but that leads to unplayed games.

But so much for whining Smile

I'm sure that when/if we run Season 2, it WILL be better than this season. As in terms of played games. And almost in every situation where coaches needed extra time, it was given. Still only few coaches contacted me and asked for it. It takes 17 people to run this tournament, not just one.

The amount of points for Bounty Hunt is quite big in theory. But how easy it is to kill the opponent's star? The idea of Bounty Hunt was to encourage the coaches to HUNT the bountied players. To add some spice and fluff, and to reduce the number of "spoilers". And in last rounds, it add the possibilities for teams to make the playoffs.

But I think that the idea of 2 cross-conference games (one against both divisions) might be good, and pairings done by TR/TS. The number of teams in tournament is good at the moment, in my opinion.

Quite long post, but forgive me. I just watched the season opener in Finnish ice hockey, and I'm a little bit drunk. Very Happy

Post   Posted: Sep 17, 2006 - 19:17 Reply with quote Back to top

So the big question is will I be 1 of only 2 players to play a playoff game? Will the main bowl be played? When is the deadline for this round?

I hope that some coaches rise to the challenge and actually finish the season! Come on...
 Jump to: