40 coaches online • Server time: 11:20
Forum Chat
Recent Forum Topics goto Post Designer's Comm...goto Post Why did GW nerf guar...goto Post Request to Maintain ...
SearchSearch 
View previous topic Log in to check your private messages View next topic
Poll
Would you join a NCAA-themed League?
Yes, yes I would.
42%
 42%  [ 190 ]
No, I doubt it.
11%
 11%  [ 50 ]
I don't know what the NCAA is.
26%
 26%  [ 118 ]
I don't join leagues.
2%
 2%  [ 13 ]
I dropped the soap.
4%
 4%  [ 21 ]
Pie!
11%
 11%  [ 49 ]
Other?
0%
 0%  [ 4 ]
Total Votes : 445

Walks_in_the_Sun

Post   Posted: Aug 18, 2007 - 04:53 Reply with quote Back to top

I had an idea:

Regarding classification/graduation, I was thinking that some players spend 5 years in college, and was wondering about an option to let players stick it out for a 5th year. This would help teams that have a bunch of seniors graduating at once - a real concern for teams going through their first 'generation' of players (assuming they haven't mostly died or been retired already anyway).

I was thinking that the rule could be either 1) allow half the seniors - the half with the fewest SPPs - to stay an extra season or 2) allow any senior with less than 31 SPPs (or 16?) to stay on for a fifth year.
CanvasBack

Post   Posted: Aug 18, 2007 - 05:04 Reply with quote Back to top

I am starting to wonder how I'll be able to replace five ogres all at once. 6 gobbos, maybe not such a big deal... Mmmm, it is a pickle.

"When you have shot and killed a man you have in some measure clarified your attitude toward him. You have given a definite answer to a definite problem. For better or worse you have acted decisively. In a way, the next move is up to him." R.A. Lafferty
Walks_in_the_Sun

Post   Posted: Aug 18, 2007 - 05:08 Reply with quote Back to top

Don't worry, Canvas - they'll probably all be dead by then!

Really, though 4 seasons into the future is looking far ahead, I can see this being a problem for at least a few teams (though seeing 4 star mummies replaced at once does give me a warm feeling inside)

Once we get past the first bout of graduates, it shouldn't be as much of a problem anymore - 3 or 4 grads per season's not as bad.
Azure

Post   Posted: Aug 18, 2007 - 05:34 Reply with quote Back to top

Long considered one of the weak teams among other weak teams in a weak conference...all the Boise State players hear is how they have no chance. All they want is a chance to prove that they can play with the big boys too. However, "rules" and "regulations" keep them safely shuffled to the side where everyone believes they are stronger - scoffing at the thought that Boise State could even stay on the field against them.

Outcast and mocked. Boise State refuses to back down - challenging any of the teams from the so called "BCS" conferences to play them...play them and they will see that Boise State has some magic!

Boise State Fairies have applied.
http://fumbbl.com/FUMBBL.php?page=team&team_id=382864
ex-convict

Post   Posted: Aug 18, 2007 - 07:08 Reply with quote Back to top

Bad news Azure. Although a good fairy tale story last year, Boise State was a one-year wonder.

And if allowed to join the league now, we would have 17 teams, which would throw everything out of WAC.

So unless 3 teams join BS on the waiting list, the fairies will be on the outside looking in.

Don't drop the soap.
pml97

Post   Posted: Aug 18, 2007 - 07:11 Reply with quote Back to top

Argh to bad Sad

I'd like to keep them around in case we have any teams not show up for their games and we need a replacement. Azure is a very dependable and quality coach he'd definitely be a value to the league.

Vince Lombardi
ex-convict

Post   Posted: Aug 18, 2007 - 07:33 Reply with quote Back to top

Since someone took the liberty of previewing my conference (I find it hard to compare my team with others at an outside angle and make it seem non-biased,) I shall do a preview of the conference I believe to be the strongest:

<b>Smack 10 Preview:</b>
<u>Athel Loren Ducks:</u>
Quack quack! That will not be the joke when these ducks migrate to town. And it won't be the description of their passes, which there will be many of. The ducks have the players to score early, earlier, late, and anywhere inbetween. Now, can they stay healthy? And, with only 4 starting FF, will they get enough funds to bring more ducks into the pond? Only time will tell, but the ducks got placed in a tough conference. If they can dodge away and not ruffle up their feathers too much, they can easily outscore their opponents.

<u>Fresh Tasty Bulldogs:</u>
The bulldogs are an interesting team. They have ballers (ghouls), bashers (wights), strength (flesh golem), pure evil (werewolves), and fodder (zombies!). They even have good FF and RR. So what could make or break their season? Identity. They can do a bit of everything; have every kind of player: but can they come together and use all their pieces? Can they find what works for them and find some fresh, tasty meals out there? Prehaps. But they'd be wise to recruit another wight and flesh golem to the team, to add some more teeth to the Bulldog's bite.

<u>Brutus' Belligerent Buckeyes:</u>
Brutus' bucks will have to buck the trend of poor starting chaos teams (or is that just a problem for me?) They possess great strength, with 4 warriors to open holes. Players like Troy Smith (best QB ever, period) will be legends for all time. But can they overcome their own mistakes? With only 1 rr, it might be doubtful in the near future. But if they can play "old school", with defense, power running, and ball management correctly, they could easily surprise many a team.

<u>Oregon unducks</u>
This pond isn't big enough for the both of us...even if we are unducks! Indeed, an interesting storyline. But these ducks won't have problems with recruiting more ducks. In fact they might be able to get some transfers from other teams. But these ducks will ruffle their feathers with anyone, mainly with their two mummies and wights. Meanwhile, the zombies will provide the assists, and the ghouls will probably go untouched. The unducks definately look like a complete team (strength, RR, skilled runners), so the sky is really the limit.

<u>Predicted order of finish:</u>
1: Oregon unducks
2: Brutus' Belligerent Buckeyes
3: Fresh Tasty Bulldogs
4: Athel Loren Ducks

The unducks are a complete team and might be a top 5 overall team. The bucks are a RR away from being a powerhouse. The bulldogs need a bone or two thrown their way, but aren't too far from those fresh, tasty buckeyes. The ducks will be able to score on the pitch, but will they be able to score recruits off the pitch?

I for one think this is probably the toughest conference out there. Three bashing teams (two that can get transfers, since they are undead), and one "air-it-out" team can make for an interesting race. Oh, and the storylines! Such good fluff for the Smackers.

Don't drop the soap.
Kyyberi

Post   Posted: Aug 18, 2007 - 11:35 Reply with quote Back to top

I love predictions. People try to see who is tough and who is not, and usually it all goes wrong Smile

But let's see...

Big Beast

So we have Khemri, Amazon, High Elf and Ogres.

Khemri have no block or tackle. High Elves have no block or tackle. Ogres have no block or tackle. Amazons have 4 blocks and lots of dodge. Easy pick.

Amongs the rest, I have a faith in elves. Bashers might be able to bash and smash, but without block at this level they can't stop the elves.

1. Ms. Consin's Dodgers
2. University of Hawaii
3. Navy Midskeletonmen
4. Michigan State Spartan Ogres

AKC

I think that Orcs and Chaos Dwarf are going to have some fierce battles. And that Norse team with 4 rerolls might be a nasty one. Rotters team lacks the Beast, which is the key to that team as far as I see it. If ex-convict is able to skill few Dwarves for Guards, the team is going to grind the rest.

1. Georgia BullCentaurs
2. Pain_State
3. Longhorns of Texas
4. Wyoming Cowboys

Smack 10

(I'll try to be subjective about this one)
Quite interesting mix of teams. Woodies, Undead, Necro and Chaos. Although some coaches say that 3 of those are bashy ones, I don't see it like that. Chaos doesn't have Big Guy. They have 4 ST4 players, but no skills of anything. With only 1 reroll, that might be a problem during the first games. Undead is a solid team with 3 rerolls, and looks the most balanced one. Woodies have positionals, but ff4 might be a problem. They will get bashed and fouled, that is for sure.

My own team, Necros, have gone for 2 Ghouls and 1 Wight. Time will tell if this is a good start up.

1. Oregon Unducks
2. Fresh Tasty Bulldogs
3. Athel Loren Ducks
4. Brutus' Belligerent Buckeyes

SEC

With Halflings, Undead, Pro Elves and Chaos. Other teams than halflings have 1,2 and 3 rerolls. If pizzamogul goes for "0 rerolls for opponent" strategy, he might pull some victories here. I have seen in Great Halfling Battle that he can play the small ones. And Chaos without any skills and 1 rerolls is going to have some problems against them. Other teams have only 3 players with Block total, so the first games are the chance for flings.

1. Borderleaux Owls
2. Hail to Old IU
3. Michigan Wolferines
4. Blood Bowling Green Falcons

Is this enough or do I have to make rankings for all (16 in order)?

Post   Posted: Aug 18, 2007 - 11:39 Reply with quote Back to top

Hmm...
Group Page wrote:
Note: Since this league is based on competiveness rather than team-killing, try to limit your number of fouls per game. Games with 4+ fouls are unsportsman-like in a college atmosphere. We want to watch the playmakers make plays! Also, this means you won't need more than 1 DP on your team. Remember, keep it clean and family friendly, since you are on national TV!

What if I build a little grudge against another team, and later against that team I get the ref? Can I whoop his bottoms for good? Very Happy

And is that 1DP per team a rule? I think it might be, as "problem players" are suspended in real life too.

Post   Posted: Aug 18, 2007 - 11:41 Reply with quote Back to top

I'm too new at this to make any kind of well-thought out predictions, but my picks for conference champions are:

Big Beast: Ms. Consin's Dodgers (mostly because Amazon seem to do well until the highly developed TR levels, and with our graduation rules, that may never happen. Plus, good RRs and cheap replacements help)

AKC: Georgia BullCentaurs (full set of skill players and still 2 RRs)

Smack 10: Oregon unducks (my pre-season #1, for their balance)

SEC: Michigan Wolferines (my pre-season #2, again, for balance, and what looks like a weak conference)
shaftdiggity

Post   Posted: Aug 18, 2007 - 14:57 Reply with quote Back to top

Season 1 League Overall Rank Team Explaination

Big Beast: 1 Dodgers Everyone has dodge. Seasons 2 however.....
4 Navy Can go toe to toe with everyone
12 Hawaii Agile, check, fragile, check
15 MSU But once you have all ogres, owch, lookout

AKC 3 PSU Orcs are good out of the box
5 Georgia Solid team, will progress well too
11 Texas This year decent, but might not progress well
16 Wyoming Foul appearance is good, but no one is passing

Smack 10 2 Athel Even with depleted numbers you can win this season
6 Bulldogs Bash away man, bash away
9 Buckeyes Season 1, not so much, but every other season, yes
14 Oregon In a bashy league (sans athel), the least bashy

SEC 7 IU Flings, really, season 1 yeah!
8 BBGF Bashy enough to get #2 in the SEC
10 UM Will put the hurting on teams this, and every year
13 Owls Can't see this team surviving long, 7 av

Then again, I'm not that good at predicting, so....
Azure

Post   Posted: Aug 18, 2007 - 15:41 Reply with quote Back to top

ex-convict wrote:
Bad news Azure. Although a good fairy tale story last year, Boise State was a one-year wonder.

And if allowed to join the league now, we would have 17 teams, which would throw everything out of WAC.

So unless 3 teams join BS on the waiting list, the fairies will be on the outside looking in.

As expected! The big boys are afraid of Boise State! Afraid we would embarass them! Thinking they are all so superior!
Walks_in_the_Sun

Post   Posted: Aug 18, 2007 - 16:04 Reply with quote Back to top

Wow, Kyberri, I'm surprised you're picking me to take my division.

Thanks for the vote of support.

Personally, I placed myself similarly to shaftdiggity - you gotta take the coach into account!

I just hope to stay out of the basement.

And what do you guys think of my proposed 5th-year senior rule?
ex-convict

Post   Posted: Aug 18, 2007 - 16:12 Reply with quote Back to top

Any senior that plays (if we stay at 16 teams for the next 4 seasons) 60 games and still has less than 51 spps can stay for a 5th season.

Also, if any team has an issue when the end of season 4 rolls around about having to replace 4+ guys at the same time, we might be able to alter the rules to help em out. I know that ogres, for instance, can last a while and I can understand if 3 of them make it to 60 games.

Another thought: any player recruited after week 12 will be an early enrollment freshman, meaning they will still be a freshman the next season. Any player recruited from weeks 1-11 will advance to a sophmore status at the end of the season.

Don't drop the soap.
ex-convict

Post   Posted: Aug 18, 2007 - 21:33 Reply with quote Back to top

The NCBB Season I has started! It is an open round robin style tournament.

You have 15 opponents to play, whenever you wish. Aim for a game a week (or more). Try to play teams within one game of your team. Remember to have fun and report and comment as you wish. Tell someone if you are leaving for a while.

Good luck to one and all.

Don't drop the soap.
 Jump to: