11 coaches online • Server time: 02:33
Forum Chat
Recent Forum Topics goto Post Finishing the 60 Gam...goto Post ramchop takes on the...goto Post Borg Invasion
SearchSearch 
View previous topic Log in to check your private messages View next topic
Poll
How would you describe your position on this matter?
I use all tactics i need to to win and NEVER care when it's done back to me
28%
 28%  [ 72 ]
I'll happily use all tactics i need to but i must admit i do sometimes get annoyed by the tactics of others
16%
 16%  [ 42 ]
I'll use all tactics i need to.... until i no longer feel its needed and hope my opponent does the same
44%
 44%  [ 111 ]
I'll play how I want to and get annoyed if the opponent uses certain tactics that i dont like
10%
 10%  [ 25 ]
Total Votes : 250

Nextflux

Post   Posted: Nov 25, 2008 - 16:05 Reply with quote Back to top

I am not talking about morality and what right and wrong, that is up to each of you.
If you all think Im preaching something about morality it means I have been misunderstood.

I am really talking about attempting to have fun game, and the chances for that against that "excessive fouler" will be less.
I dont assume you beeing an asshole because you run after my players.. although it would annoy me ofcourse.
It just simply, makes me avoid you next time if you clearly was attempting to destroy my team.

Then we can discuss what each of us thinks is excessive fouling/team destruction etc..
but that has never _initially_ been my point to discuss, I just say that I choose not to play an ass, (or what I think is an ass),
maybe never again.. so what ?
If I have to decide if players are important I would say no.. but I think the team is important, and it would be less fun if a played and a team got destroyed..
So a bad experience against a coach who was killing my team out of fun (and not by chance) is someone I would avoid in the future.
I am not suggesting anything what anyone should do, I am just saying what I would do, no moral, no right or wrong.. just attempting to have a fun game in the future..
and If that excludes me playing certain players..
so what ?
It goes both ways.. always.. I get a team destroyed (as explained) opponent get one less player to worry about...
thats all..
SillySod

Post   Posted: Nov 25, 2008 - 16:14 Reply with quote Back to top

Pac, you are forgetting the two goblins (SillySod and Hogshine) that plagued his dreams since he was a small boy...

"There are those to whom knowledge is a shield. There are those to whom it is a weapon. Neither view is balanced."
kn00b

Post   Posted: Nov 25, 2008 - 16:15 Reply with quote Back to top

This all started because an amazon player got his fancy blitzer killed in a t16 foul. No sympathy at all - amazons are the cheesiest, worst designed thing GW has ever come up with and anyone playing them deserves 16 fouls a game.

That being said - t16 fouls are acceptable. In the blog reply-extravaganza the word 'petty' was used quite a bit - it's a very petty player who cares about the fate of something you intentionally set up on the LOS in the last turn of the game. That RIP could've been a plain ole block, and while fouling might seem nastier, the result is the same. dead pixels, trimmed TR. oh well.
Pirog

Post   Posted: Nov 25, 2008 - 16:32 Reply with quote Back to top

Pac,

Haha, well done Smile
CircularLogic

Post   Posted: Nov 25, 2008 - 16:54 Reply with quote Back to top

Vampy wrote:
Nextflux wrote:

I draw my line where I like it.. so just accept it or sod off..

Not very nice now was it?

No one is having a go at you. They are merely trying to understand WHY there is a line.

If a coach of 140 comprehensively kicks your ass and excessively fouls at the same time it is no different to a higher coach doing it.

But it's your choice. All Circ was trying to do initially was understand what you meant and then understand why you have a number in your head at which to cut off the excessive foulers.

Note to all CR 179 coaches, you are ok to whoop this guy and kick his head in at the same time. He won't mind apparently Razz Wink

That`s exactly the point.. the point we never talk about... Sad
DukeTyrion

Post   Posted: Nov 25, 2008 - 17:02 Reply with quote Back to top

pac wrote:
I don't know anything about Munster ...

Except that when a good-looking dame turns up in the office of a washed-up baker turned private investi - er, preacher, it can only spell one thing. And that one thing is trouble.

Jan Mattys was one guy who had seen trouble spelled out in front of him many times. This particular trouble was tall and blonde and didn't belong in a joint like this. He knew where it was all going to lead: another battle with the bishops. And when you come up against the bishops, it's all you can do to break even. No bishop ever dealt a fair hand. And Jan Mattys had never picked one up.

But if there were two things Jan Mattys couldn't resist they were a scrap with the bishops and baptising another case of blonde trouble. And puff pastries. With a shot of bourbon ...

You really, Really, REALLY need to start another Werewolf game Wink

/signup DukeTyrion
pac

Post   Posted: Nov 25, 2008 - 17:10 Reply with quote Back to top

Nextflux wrote:
If you all think Im preaching something about morality it means I have been misunderstood.

Jan Mattys used to preach about morality, and he was misunderstood.

No, that's not true at all. He used to preach about the best way to make a puff pastry. And no one could misunderstand how much he loved their delicate fluffy goodness. The bishops certainly understood all too well, and sometimes I wonder if that wasn't at the root of it all.

Yes, even when times were at their worst, when people were calling him a derelict and a drunk and all he could find to baptise people with was whisky ... Even then Jan Mattys could look to the skies and remember something purer and simpler. Pastry.

But the rough streets of Amsterdam - and Munster - were no place for purity or simplicity. They weren't those kinds of times. And I think that was what killed Jan Mattys in the end, just as much as the pike.

Last edited by pac on %b %25, %2008 - %19:%Nov; edited 1 time in total
JanMattys

Post   Posted: Nov 25, 2008 - 17:22 Reply with quote Back to top

Post   Posted: Nov 25, 2008 - 17:26 Reply with quote Back to top

JanMattys at Munster, trying to honour the best Beedog ever.
This is the last picture of JanMattys, before he was taken captive and got executed by Bishops.

Post   Posted: Nov 25, 2008 - 17:58 Reply with quote Back to top

Wow, this has turned into quite a discussion.

I still take the stance that coaches should be allowed to avoid any non-scheduled game for any reason, if the client hasn't connected to the server yet, with both agreed upon teams, as per the rules of the site.

So, if you want to blacklist a CR180+ coach because he (or she) dominated the game you were playing, that should be fine. I just hope you realize that blacklisting the best rated coaches will only slow down your own learning process. Then again, I'm already assuming you'd want to become a better coach.

Post   Posted: Nov 25, 2008 - 18:10 Reply with quote Back to top

pac wrote:
No, that's not true at all. He used to preach about the best way to make a puff pastry. And no one could misunderstand how much he loved their delicate fluffy goodness. The bishops certainly understood all too well, and sometimes I wonder if that wasn't at the root of it all.

Yes, even when times were at their worst, when people were calling him a derelict and a drunk and all he could find to baptise people with was whisky ... Even then Jan Mattys could look to the skies and remember something purer and simpler. Pastry.

pac

Post   Posted: Nov 25, 2008 - 18:22 Reply with quote Back to top

torsoboy wrote:
Wow, this has turned into quite a discussion.

Jan Mattys always liked to discuss things. Only his idea of a discussion was one where he talked and you agreed. So it would be fairer to say that Jan Mattys always liked to sermonise about things.

Sometimes, when he was really working up a head of steam about something, this look would come into his eyes. And he'd just stop talking and fold in on himself (clutching a bourbon close). He'd just realised that there he was, sermonising away - just like the bishops did.

Of course, he was sermonising in a rat-infested bar full of broken-down sots and down-and-outs, and they were sermonising in grand and glorious cathedrals, but there it was even so.

And Jan Mattys hated bishops. And I think what hurt him most before the end - hurt him even more than that pike, maybe - was thinking that he was becoming just like them.

Was he right? Maybe what matters more is that he thought he was right. Perhaps it would have been worse for him to live on, feeling like he'd become everything he hated.
torsoboy

Post   Posted: Nov 25, 2008 - 18:39 Reply with quote Back to top

Post   Posted: Nov 25, 2008 - 19:23 Reply with quote Back to top

Jan Mattys didn't know much about Pi. Calculating the circumference of circles from their diameters wasn't something you had much time for on the streets of Amsterdam (or Munster) back then. Or even calculating the diameters of circles from their circumferences. They just weren't those kinds of times.

He could appreciate the beauty of a perfect circle though. Not that there were many to be seen back then. Wagon wheels weren't circular, just uneven shapes that bumped and rattled over the cobblestones and through the dirt. And the fashion for plates was oblong.

Coins though. Amsterdam town hall wasn't good for much. They certainly couldn't keep the bishops in line. But one thing they could do was mint a decent, round coin.

Jan Mattys thought they were beautiful. Now, he wasn't a greedy man. There were times you had to beg him to let you pay for a pastry, he was so eager for someone to enjoy it. No, he didn't love money. He just loved those coins. He just found those little silver coins to be the most wonderful little things. He loved them like daughters. If he'd had any daughters. Or like bourbon. (He had plenty of that.)

But maybe that was one of the first things that set him against the bishops. To give a tithe to the church? To give away those perfect, beautiful little silver coins? To the bishops?

Jan Mattys may not have known about Pi, but he had principles all the same.
JanMattys

Post   Posted: Nov 25, 2008 - 19:37 Reply with quote Back to top

Typical Amsterdam (and Munster) breakfast.
Look how round they look... Rolling Eyes