22 coaches online • Server time: 00:55
Forum Chat
Recent Forum Topics goto Post New Team Page Betagoto Post Making Assassins mor...goto Post ramchop takes on the...
SearchSearch 
View previous topic Log in to check your private messages View next topic
andycapp

Post   Posted: Sep 16, 2004 - 02:13 Reply with quote Back to top

As a new coach, I always thought the QPool was to get a grip on the game, play some games, get the TR up and team developed to hack it in the divs. THEN you get the offer to move the team to the divs (or swap with your own one that's not going so well in the divs already...).
That's why I found it strange when there were some "virgin" teams starting in the Regionals. No offence at all to their coaches.

The Swiss format is good in my opinion - it allows for a 10-team comp of only 7 matches (to match the higher divs), and matches teams as they move up or down the ladder.

I agree with the NO extension policy too - in a Swiss fomat-style, it puts the entire div out. In a round robin div, it's a lot easier to work the extension, but that's one drawback of the Swiss format - there HAS to be the cutoff to be fair on the other coaches in the div.
As far as Snorri's Karaz Krashers playing all the top teams in that div already - all the more reason for them to be promoted, really. My Orcs in Region C are now getting to the nitty gritty - top of the table clash, then no doubt a game vs Sparticus' Dwarves for round 6 - our third match-up in SWL history. The 7th round's match-ups will be quite interesting...

Well done to the admins so far. There are SO many new coaches in the SWL, even since I started. You've had to include everyone, while at the same time keep it structured in some way too. You've had to try new formats to the divs, structure and re-structure as the season went on. All-in-all, I think the vast majority of coaches are pleased with the job you guys do.
New leagues have been spawned from the SWL as well - also a sign of your good work here.

Keep up the good work, and good luck organising next season !!!!!!
chunky04

Post   Posted: Sep 16, 2004 - 11:12 Reply with quote Back to top

I believe there's 3 more weeks till the end of this season Bracksen, then we'll probably do the picnic (big SWL knockout tourney), then season 7.

Post   Posted: Sep 16, 2004 - 11:18 Reply with quote Back to top

andy, the qpool is mainly supposed to be a testing ground to make sure people are reliable actually, and obviously somewhere along the way some people slipped through the net who weren't.

The only reason the cap is in place is to prevent qpool teams that are awesome from coming into divisions, they should have to fight their way up.

Post   Posted: Sep 16, 2004 - 13:41 Reply with quote Back to top

I like the idea for swiss format as one big group with the same limit on matches per season as for the divisions (so they can't race ahead on tr) for regionals.

After the first round this'll mean you'll pretty much always be playing around your level (due to # coaches >> # games in season), and because its also flexible in size it's easy to admin. Course the deadline will have to be managed with gortrek's axe and nothing less to keep it running smoothly.

But then, if you can't arrange at least 5mins out now and then to check your next date and any updates on the forum, you're probably not worthy to enter the die hard conferences!

Good work admin nutters!

Cheers,
Snorri.
ClayInfinity

Post   Posted: Sep 16, 2004 - 15:46 Reply with quote Back to top

Thx for the tips and pats on the back guys, much appreciated...

We had a chat today and i can say the Open Round Robin idea has been scrubbed... next seasons Regional will either be structured league or Swiss...

I think the 30 team swiss thing over 7 rounds could be quite interesting! Forfeit once and you've probably missed your chance at promotion! Very Cut Throat! (tm) Wink We will keep you all updated on future decisions...

Oh an on why we had so many rookies in Regionals this year - the simple reason was we got a bit of a ground swell of new coaches and rather than shove them in QPool, we decided we had a better chance of keeping them interested by throwing 'em straight into the Regional. For some it worked, for others it hasnt... oh well. Smile

Cheers,
Clay
chunky04

Post   Posted: Sep 20, 2004 - 02:07 Reply with quote Back to top

This current round will be extended a full week due to the fumbbl outage over the entire weekend. There will be NO extensions after this however, so get your games done by Monday 27th or feel the wrath of forfeit!

Post   Posted: Sep 20, 2004 - 03:51 Reply with quote Back to top

I am one of those "new" coaches, and my only problem with my regional team is the fact they haven't got a chance of promotion this season, and my forfiet to start the season meant I didn't get any SPP, and then I played Snorri's Karaz Krasherz! so it took 3 rounds before any of my players gained any skillz, but I'll prolly replace my orc team with my qpool team at the end of the season anyway, if that's allowed of course Smile
chunky04

Post   Posted: Sep 20, 2004 - 12:53 Reply with quote Back to top

That's what qpool is for Smegish, it won't be a problem.

Post   Posted: Sep 20, 2004 - 13:19 Reply with quote Back to top

OK, my first contribution will be to try and sort out which teams potential players may submit for qpool... so we don't end up with the whole league being friggin Khemri!

SWL Depth Chart (ie what teams exist in divisions currently):

Dwarfs - 7 teams
Chaos - 5 teams
Orcs - 5 teams
Lizards - 4 teams
Khemri - 4 teams (then why are 3 of em in my division! geez)
Humans - 4 teams
High Elves - 4 teams
Wood Elves - 3 teams
Norse - 3 teams
Necromantic - 3 teams
Chaos dwarfs - 2 teams
Undead - 2 teams
Amazons - 2 teams
Skaven - 2 teams
Rotters - 2 teams
Dark Elf - 2 teams
Pro Elves - 1 team

Potential qpool applicants take note:

Do NOT apply with any of the teams that have at least 4 teams amongst those above, and preferably apply with one of those with 2 or less.

Double triple do not apply with Dwarfs atm. We already have way too many.

Last edited by chunky04 on %b %21, %2004 - %11:%Sep; edited 1 time in total
ozjesting

Post   Posted: Sep 21, 2004 - 06:50 Reply with quote Back to top

Just a little timing note for those who may have games against me at the moment. I will be online tonight (tuesday Sept 21) from about 830pm or so. After that I WON'T be here at all until sometime next week. I am off to Brisbane for shows and when I return I have a week at the Comedy Store as well. So my first real time to play again will be thursday the 30th and Fri the 1st both during the day time (10 am to 3pm) Then of course I hope to see many of you at MOAB!
Have a great week!

oz

Post   Posted: Sep 21, 2004 - 11:35 Reply with quote Back to top

Bummer, OZ u should have posted up ya dates or i would have come and seen ya...
Satans_mechanic

Post   Posted: Sep 21, 2004 - 11:42 Reply with quote Back to top

Is it just me or has chunky forgotten to count dark elves.... i know there's at least one (thats me!)

...... after a quick check i count 2 dark elf teams in division/regional play

thats the count you where doing right chunks?

Post   Posted: Sep 21, 2004 - 11:54 Reply with quote Back to top

Damn you man! I did count em, just forgot to cut/paste the buggers.

Post   Posted: Sep 22, 2004 - 09:45 Reply with quote Back to top

and you will be flogged accordingly....
Twahn

Post   Posted: Sep 22, 2004 - 11:03 Reply with quote Back to top

Everyone! A mix of sad news and glad news for me and y'all. Listen up!

I'm going to Italy for a holiday over the next four and a bit weeks and will be playing no blood bowl whatsoever! This means I'll be forfeiting all my matches until I get back.

It's a damn shame, and I just hope carlton have enough points so far to last them through the season and can miraculously avoid the drop next season. Let's hope something can be arranged <Twahn looks meaningfully at the other Commishes>...

Anyway, everyone have fun while I'm away, be good to your mothers, and certainly don't do anything I wouldn't do!

Ciao ciao i miei amici bei! Wink

DonTwahn's Dungeon = Cheap Miniatures! Check it out...
 Jump to: