35 coaches online • Server time: 00:03
Forum Chat
Recent Forum Topics goto Post DIBBL Awardsgoto Post Secret Stunty Cup - ...goto Post Blood Bowl 2024 Edit...
SearchSearch 
View previous topic Log in to check your private messages View next topic
sann0638

Post   Posted: Feb 23, 2015 - 23:10 Reply with quote Back to top

Thenaf.net version, for info: http://www.thenaf.net/2015/02/the-rttnafc-final-round/

Post   Posted: Feb 23, 2015 - 23:40 Reply with quote Back to top

Well, I've got undead again. Last ones didn't pose me much trouble, so I'm going to make it straightforward... if these ones beat me, I will play 100 games with undead this year. If I win, I'll be 5-1, or "undefeated in games where I didn't decide to test my theory that ulfwereners were basically bull centaurs."

(Hell, I ran a forward passing orc team back in the '90s. You probably shouldn't listen to me. Ever.)
ramchop

Post   Posted: Feb 25, 2015 - 01:34
FUMBBL Staff
Reply with quote Back to top

Final round: Dwarves. Wooden spoon guaranteed? Could it get any worse?

Could it get any better? 1-0 to the goblins.

God I love this game. Thanks to NAF and FUMBBL for putting together such a fantastic event. Great work guys!
Very Happy Very Happy Very Happy Very Happy

My only grumble is that he wasn't NAF numbered, so I guess I'm 100% loser for the online rankings
PaddyMick

Post   Posted: Feb 25, 2015 - 02:14 Reply with quote Back to top

I've really enjoyed this. Love the format. It's refreshing to not have to worry about team building or injuries and all the roster management is done at the start.

I had a good crack with Orcs, going 4/0/2. The chainsaw was worth it.
I'm hoping to finish highest ranked orcs, but I can see 3 teams that will have to not win their last game for that to happen!
PurpleChest

Post   Posted: Feb 25, 2015 - 02:26
FUMBBL Staff

Well enjoyable as the change has been. i can't pretend the competition really grabbed me. I feel almost the exact opposite of PaddyMick, As there is no development and you just 'choose' skills i feel no real attachment to the team created. And aftr game one there was nothing to play for.

Still the games were sometimes fun. i end 1/5/0 which is odd, but i guess at least I'm unbeaten.

And it has been fantastic to see so many new faces on the site, and new to tournaments. So while it may not be my cup of tea, i hope to see it repeated often.

Post   Posted: Feb 25, 2015 - 07:07
FUMBBL Staff

One round to go. Will the stunties avoid the dreaded spoon? Go Stunty!

Image 50 Ladz on da Road Joemanji 3/1/1 TB(+3) TD6 CAS12
----------------------------------
Image 138 [RES] Weicheier Strider84 2/1/2 TB(-8 ) TD5 CAS7
Image 141 Scrappa's Henchmen SzieberthAdam 2/1/2 TB(-11) TD4 CAS13
Image 144 Left my dice in San Francisco Zed 2/0/3 TB(+5) TD5 CAS16
Image 157 Crookback Mtn. Cavaliers SkavenLordVinshqueek 2/0/3 TB(-1) TD6 CAS7
Image 162 Secret Snooker Words ceetee 2/0/3 TB(-2) TD4 CAS11
Image 173 NAFC Orange Goblins gjopie 2/0/3 TB(-4) TD4 CAS11
Image 181 Rough Road to NAFC roante 1/2/2 TB(-10) TD4 CAS13
Image 184 Let Us Eat Cake phil78 2/0/3 TB(-13) TD5 CAS16
Image 194 On the (Og)Road Again Macabeo 1/1/3 TB(0) TD4 CAS19
Image 208 Brainstorm Barnstormerz Subs 1/1/3 TB(-9) TD2 CAS11
Image 210 Butterfield's Crash Dieters m0gw41 1/1/3 TB(-10) TD4 CAS18
Image 213 ⁂Birnbaum Beauties⁂ Nightbird 1/1/3 TB(-18 ) TD3 CAS6
Image 224 Tangle Wood Fanatics KhorneliusPraxx 1/0/4 TB(-9) TD4 CAS15
Image 229 AFD (Attitude for destruction) glowworm 1/0/4 TB(-15) TD3 CAS6
Image 235 Reggae-Reggae Saws CCSenor 1/0/4 TB(-11) TD3 CAS9
Image 240 NAFC Bluebay Crammers howlinggriffon 0/0/5 TB(-12) TD2 CAS10
Image 241 Te Aro Targets ramchop 0/0/5 TB(-12) TD1 CAS9
Image 243 Porky's NAFC Rashers LuckyLysenko 0/0/5 TB(-21) TD2 CAS8

Last edited by ramchop on %b %25, %2015 - %10:%Feb; edited 1 time in total
Purplegoo

Post   Posted: Feb 25, 2015 - 08:43 Reply with quote Back to top

I remember that I wasn't 100% convinced following my first resurrection event, PC. Being so used to development, it felt somewhat odd and counter intuitive. It did click with me pretty soon thereafter; as 95 more tournaments attest to! Smile If you can't win, I always think protecting the '0' is the next best thing, so good job on that!

Towards the back end of the round, a feedback / aftermath thread will appear, so if we could save final thoughts for that, it would be great.

Get those games played! Let's round off the event with a bang!
JanMattys

Post   Posted: Feb 25, 2015 - 09:22 Reply with quote Back to top

I second Purplegoo. I once thought the same as Purplechest, I really got invested in my teams (especially the hellfish) online, and I couldn't see the point of non-progression play.

Now that I play less often, I enjoy the tactical aspects on the team, and the planning behind the choices of the roster and of the skills.

Progression is nice, but actual, direct competition under the same rules is nicer. I mean, we all remember Mr. Fantastic don't we? Ag6 Ma 11 wood elf who made it almost impossible to defend against PeteW's woodies. If you enter a major with such a player, you have a huge advantage (disclaimer: I couldn't even get to the top 16 with such a player, so I'm not trying to undermine PeteW's skills).

Non progression tournaments are nice because everybody is on the same boat. There's no AG4 ST5 ballcarrying monster able to give a huge advantage to the coach who had the luck to roll him. It's 1100 with some skills thrown in, and that's it. True, this kind of bb lacks the complexity you can find in the clash of two multi-skilled teams, but it feels more fair.

As for not being interesting as soon as you know you can't win... I guess I feel different, but it's always a battle to see how high you can go, and to raise your personal NAF ranking. Every match counts, even the last one when you're 0/0/5.

It just requires a completely different mind set, I suppose.

At the end, my humans did 3/1/2, which is suppose is nice enough, being a winning record.
I also faced 5 NAF coaches out of six games, so it's cool Very Happy

Post   Posted: Feb 25, 2015 - 09:34
FUMBBL Staff

JanMattys wrote:
Every match counts, even the last one when you're 0/0/5.

especially if you're 0/0/5. Cool
sann0638

Post   Posted: Feb 25, 2015 - 09:44 Reply with quote Back to top

ramchop wrote:
Final round: Dwarves. Wooden spoon guaranteed? Could it get any worse?

Could it get any better? 1-0 to the goblins.

God I love this game. Thanks to NAF and FUMBBL for putting together such a fantastic event. Great work guys!
Very Happy Very Happy Very Happy Very Happy

My only grumble is that he wasn't NAF numbered, so I guess I'm 100% loser for the online rankings

Congratulations anyway!

Post   Posted: Feb 25, 2015 - 10:20 Reply with quote Back to top

I know you asked for comments in a feedback thread but I need to say this here; in a TT environment you play all the games within a day or weekend, quite often having travelled a significant distance and at some expense, these factors make every game "worth" playing as you still feel part of the event and you want to get as much out of your investment as possible. With Online Tournaments everything is immediate, no miniatures to prepare, no roster to write out and little effort to get to the event location, add to that the weekly deadlines in which you have time to ruminate your mistakes/poor luck/wife or loved one nagging you about "always" being on that damned computer or other distraction that caused a non-win result and motivation over 6 weeks is bound to be difficult to maintain.

Having only attended a couple of TT Tournaments as a comparison to this first Online experience, I much prefer TT. The social aspect really does get lost in the ether.

Thank you for running an overall very successful event and I look forward to seeing what variety can be brought to the small screen in the future.

Take care Dalfort.

Post   Posted: Feb 25, 2015 - 11:06 Reply with quote Back to top

Dalfort wrote:
I know you asked for comments in a feedback thread but I need to say this here; in a TT environment you play all the games within a day or weekend, quite often having travelled a significant distance and at some expense, these factors make every game "worth" playing as you still feel part of the event and you want to get as much out of your investment as possible. With Online Tournaments everything is immediate, no miniatures to prepare, no roster to write out and little effort to get to the event location, add to that the weekly deadlines in which you have time to ruminate your mistakes/poor luck/wife or loved one nagging you about "always" being on that damned computer or other distraction that caused a non-win result and motivation over 6 weeks is bound to be difficult to maintain.

Having only attended a couple of TT Tournaments as a comparison to this first Online experience, I much prefer TT. The social aspect really does get lost in the ether.

Thank you for running an overall very successful event and I look forward to seeing what variety can be brought to the small screen in the future.

Take care Dalfort.

It might be worth running an online weekend tournament at some point as a test.

Maybe games at 11:00, 14:00 and 17:00 on each Saturday and Sunday, to bring a little more of the TT tourney into effect.

Naturally this one had a different purpose, to bring in lots of people, promote the NAF and Nottingham, which I think has been a huge success, but now we have the format, we can run different events.
Dalfort

Post   Posted: Feb 25, 2015 - 11:23 Reply with quote Back to top

Exactly, I was also thinking that it works for specific Time Zones too so North America (continent) and Australia/Asia can have generally acceptable round times for themselves too, which does not prohibit others entering as long as they complete all the rounds.

All exciting prospects anyway Smile

Post   Posted: Feb 25, 2015 - 11:46
FUMBBL Staff

Dafort's thoughts almost exactly mirror my own, and this is something me and Purplechest spoke about during our match. Swiss as a format for tabletop is great when all games are played together and there's a real atmosphere. As a 6 week schedule, the matches feel somewhat pointless after a couple of bad results. This is probably different for NAF members though.

Mr. J's LRB7 / Forum
Purplegoo

Post   Posted: Feb 25, 2015 - 12:05 Reply with quote Back to top

Hi chaps.

Thanks for the early thoughts. As people seem keen to talk, I will move the 'aftermath' thread forward a touch. Expect that to appear relatively soon. In terms of feedback, we'll be targeting specific areas (rather than going for an open ended free for all, always a bit tricky on an Internet forum), so I would ask that people wait just a little until that is all setup.

We're at Wednesday of the final round already, so those kickoff times should be becoming finalised. Get them locked in, and PM me with anything troublesome! Smile
 Jump to: