43 coaches online • Server time: 13:55
Forum Chat
Recent Forum Topics goto Post Finishing the 60 Gam...goto Post Borg Invasiongoto Post GIF Guide
SearchSearch 
View previous topic Log in to check your private messages View next topic
Poll
How would you describe your position on this matter?
I use all tactics i need to to win and NEVER care when it's done back to me
28%
 28%  [ 72 ]
I'll happily use all tactics i need to but i must admit i do sometimes get annoyed by the tactics of others
16%
 16%  [ 42 ]
I'll use all tactics i need to.... until i no longer feel its needed and hope my opponent does the same
44%
 44%  [ 111 ]
I'll play how I want to and get annoyed if the opponent uses certain tactics that i dont like
10%
 10%  [ 25 ]
Total Votes : 250

Nextflux

Post   Posted: Nov 25, 2008 - 20:18 Reply with quote Back to top

torsoboy wrote:
Wow, this has turned into quite a discussion.

I still take the stance that coaches should be allowed to avoid any non-scheduled game for any reason, if the client hasn't connected to the server yet, with both agreed upon teams, as per the rules of the site.

So, if you want to blacklist a CR180+ coach because he (or she) dominated the game you were playing, that should be fine. I just hope you realize that blacklisting the best rated coaches will only slow down your own learning process. Then again, I'm already assuming you'd want to become a better coach.

No not because he(or she) dominated the game..
if the games was dominated and my team got destroyed in the process its still not enough for me to blacklist...
So that leaves coaches who dominated the game+destroying my team+was fouling every turn and still at the end of the match runs after my players to have some more fouling..
not a nice guy to play against, minimal fun (well at least for me)
so to protect my teams from this guy I dont play him.. not just because hes an ass.. not just because hes an 180 coach
so again:
Why doesnt I want to play him?
answer:
1) to protect my teams from getting destroyed
2) to have fun, rather that no fun
--
So..a comment:
Maybe I should have said earlier that my criteria for excluding was 1000 games rather than 180+ coach (plus all the other criteria I have tried to explain earlier)..
Generally I avoid coaches who play like this.. but not always
I have a better chance to win or have fun against a lower ranked coach.. for example a 170 coach or a 140 coach even if they play like "asses",
so that means I can still have fun.. at least my chances for having fun is more present than a higher ranked coach who plays like an ass..

Conclution:
this has all been fun to discuss, but now its enough.. I am tired of explaining
why I think like I do.. for curiosity it is just a single player whom fit my criteria, and he probably dont know about it, cuz I wasnt whining about it.
so for me the discussion about this matter ends here
CircularLogic

Post   Posted: Nov 25, 2008 - 20:50 Reply with quote Back to top

OK nextflux.. I had 10 minutes to kill, so I went over your games and checked for any game you lost while suffering 5+ casualties. The worst game I found involved 3 foules against you and that was against a coach in the 160ies. So I think you have a much too vivid imagination about highly skilled coaches eating your precious players and their babies.
Nextflux

Post   Posted: Nov 25, 2008 - 21:22 Reply with quote Back to top

ok, Circ.. whatever
we can continue this forever, its not going to change anything.
I have my opinion you have yours, check whatever you like.. continue to mock me because I have a different opinion, or a vivid imagination if it makes you feel much better..

Whom I play is my buisness.. If think your an ass I wount play you, thats it.

Actually It just tells me your not so much better.. checking up if I was lying
Your just another guy who thinks he knows better than everyone else, well.. thats my opinion from what ive seen before..

I think its time for you all to calm down.. finally you have somone to mock .. OH YEAH, lets mock this guy forever and disagree and spit on this moron.. because he thinks different than WE DO and WE CANT HAVE THAT..

LOL pathetic
JanMattys

Post   Posted: Nov 25, 2008 - 21:28 Reply with quote Back to top

Some lessons to be learnt:

1- Defend a position only if you have facts backing it up.

2- Go easy on people.

3- We need more pastry.

4- We need less bishops.

Post   Posted: Nov 25, 2008 - 21:30 Reply with quote Back to top

sooo... this is going well then huh? Laughing

Post   Posted: Nov 25, 2008 - 21:50 Reply with quote Back to top

Nextflux wrote:
ok, Circ.. whatever
we can continue this forever, its not going to change anything.
I have my opinion you have yours, check whatever you like.. continue to mock me because I have a different opinion, or a vivid imagination if it makes you feel much better..

Whom I play is my buisness.. If think your an ass I wount play you, thats it.

Actually It just tells me your not so much better.. checking up if I was lying
Your just another guy who thinks he knows better than everyone else, well.. thats my opinion from what ive seen before..

I think its time for you all to calm down.. finally you have somone to mock .. OH YEAH, lets mock this guy forever and disagree and spit on this moron.. because he thinks different than WE DO and WE CANT HAVE THAT..

See.. I don`t think I mock you. I just don`t like your double standards regarding behavior and above all, I wan`t to know why you arbitrarily drew a line at CR180. I actually try to understand you. That was also the reason, why I looked through your matches. I never thought about checking up on you.
I wanted to understand what traumatized you so much that you developed prejudice against a whole group of coaches.... just that I saw nothing traumatizing. Which lead me to the conclusion, that the prejudice was there before and the traumatizing event was imagined as justification until you believed in it yourself. Stranger things have happended...

Nextflux wrote:
LOL pathetic

This is the pathetic part...
Nextflux

Post   Posted: Nov 25, 2008 - 22:01 Reply with quote Back to top

alright so you dont like my opinion, and you dont understand why.. so what ?

forget 180 forget all about everything I have said..
I played an ass coach whom I dont want to play again.. and I have been trying to explain that all the way..
So maybe not ALL my players got into the injury box, maybe it was the KO box.. whatever!
I DONT CARE

he played like an ass.. and I wount play him again.. and he was a high ranked coach.
your too much hung up in detail about 180.. forget that
I didnt like playing him, so I wount play him again unless I have to.. end of story... thats my choice
accept it or not.. thats your choice
I can't expalain it much better than this, because this discussion has been going on all day and deatail about this and that and how and such..

why is it so damn important to understand ?
and why is it so hard to accept that there is a player out there I wount play?
torsoboy

Post   Posted: Nov 25, 2008 - 22:13 Reply with quote Back to top

I remember the first few games I played, I got into a fouling match with Csonti (who was CR184 at the time), which I of course lost. Actually it wasn't much of a contest, he knew what he was doing and I wasn't. For a good thirty games or so, I would keep a written black list (white and blacklists weren't implemented on the site yet) of everybody who stalled and/or fouled me. It took me quite a while to get over it, so I can sympathize a little with Nextflux and others who found such games to be a negative experience. Of course, Nextflux's criteria are way more relaxed than mine were - but the principle stands. Bad gaming experiences make people shy away from certain types of coaches and I think that's fine. It shouldn't matter what the cause of those bad gaming experience is.

Post   Posted: Nov 25, 2008 - 22:22 Reply with quote Back to top

torsoboy wrote:
I remember the first few games I played, I got into a fouling match with Csonti (who was CR184 at the time), which I of course lost. Actually it wasn't much of a contest, he knew what he was doing and I wasn't. For a good thirty games or so, I would keep a written black list (white and blacklists weren't implemented on the site yet) of everybody who stalled and/or fouled me. It took me quite a while to get over it, so I can sympathize a little with Nextflux and others who found such games to be a negative experience. Of course, Nextflux's criteria are way more relaxed than mine were - but the principle stands. Bad gaming experiences make people shy away from certain types of coaches and I think that's fine. It shouldn't matter what the cause of those bad gaming experience is.

finally somone who gets what I have been trying to say.
relaxed criteria.. thats it... not an arbritarty line or vivid imagination or traumatized experience or whatever..
A bad experience yes.. but not a big deal, just telling me that I should avoid this particular player.. why this has gone out of propotions beats me..
and ofcurse I think he should know what he was doing, after all he was a top player, so that just makes it worse, and even more healthy for me to avoid
torsoboy

Post   Posted: Nov 25, 2008 - 22:30 Reply with quote Back to top

Here's the game, if anybody wants to have a laugh. It sure was cringe inducing watching myself play like that (just watched it now). It was 4 years and 1 day ago that match happened.

Post   Posted: Nov 25, 2008 - 22:33 Reply with quote Back to top

See.. I can perfectly understand that you had a bad experience with a single player. You just translated that into a broad prejudice against high CR coaches.. that they are somehow meaner than low CR coaches if they act the same on the pitch.
pac

Post   Posted: Nov 25, 2008 - 22:40 Reply with quote Back to top

Nextflux wrote:
… and he was a high ranked coach.

Jan Mattys was a high-ranked coach. Okay, so he wasn't a coach at all, he was a baker. But he was a good baker. It was hard to scrape together a dime living on the tough streets of Amsterdam (and Munster) in those days, but when you could you'd be a fool not to spend it on one of his pastries. He'd protest at first, but when he saw those shiny beautiful round silver coins a smile lit up his face like he didn't have a care in the world.

And yet the last time I saw his face he wasn't smiling at all. He had the look a man would have if he found you skinning his cat alive. If he liked his cat, that is. Of course, it can't have helped that the head that wore that expression was stuck on the end of a pike, not a pastry or a round coin in sight.

Nor any bourbon either. I wonder if that was what made him do it. Go out to face the bishops for the last time. We ran out of bourbon in the last few days while they had us holed up. Jan Mattys would get restless and fidgety, breaking into sermons then going quiet just as quickly. You could tell he was planning something but somehow we never guessed what.

Like I always say, you go up against the bishops, you can't expect to win. The bishops could always put more money, more men, more pikes on the streets. It can't end well when you go up against the bishops, and it certainly didn't for Jan Mattys.
Nextflux

Post   Posted: Nov 25, 2008 - 22:45 Reply with quote Back to top

CircularLogic wrote:
See.. I can perfectly understand that you had a bad experience with a single player. You just translated that into a broad prejudice against high CR coaches.. that they are somehow meaner than low CR coaches if they act the same on the pitch.

Not meaner,, thats a misunderstanding..
just healthier to avoid if they both play like asses.
lower ranked (ass) coaches is easier to deal with, hence my criteria
UberEvil

Post   Posted: Nov 25, 2008 - 22:57 Reply with quote Back to top

Ah... now I get the point. It's more fun to play lower ranked coaches beacause it's easier to win. Cherry picking FTW!
Nextflux

Post   Posted: Nov 25, 2008 - 23:02 Reply with quote Back to top

UberEvil wrote:
Ah... now I get the point. It's more fun to play lower ranked coaches beacause it's easier to win. Cherry picking FTW!

nah, you dont get the point at all.
 Jump to: