62 coaches online • Server time: 21:42
Forum Chat
Recent Forum Topics goto Post Blood Bowl 2024 Edit...goto Post NBFL Season 32: The ...goto Post RNG speculations
SearchSearch 
View previous topic Log in to check your private messages View next topic
Poll
How do you feel about fouling in CRP?
Kill all mens with the boot!
24%
 24%  [ 17 ]
We like to keep our boots clean, thank you very much.
8%
 8%  [ 6 ]
I only foul strategically to win.
58%
 58%  [ 41 ]
I only foul in retribution!
2%
 2%  [ 2 ]
I stepped in a cow pie.
5%
 5%  [ 4 ]
Total Votes : 70

NerdBird

Post   Posted: Feb 11, 2015 - 04:50 Reply with quote Back to top

To foul or not to foul? That is the question.

Fouling has been nerfed like lawn darts. And what is not to like about huge weighted darts flying through the air towards unsuspecting children and innocent bystanders?

But seriously fouling is a precarious thing these days in CRaP, with your chances of being thrown out of the game much greater and the odds of inflicting injury greatly diminished. So what is everyone else's take on fouling? What are your tactics to implement the boot with a fine surgical precision? When do you feel the need to drop the boot?

I myself rarely foul unless it is tactically viable and I stand a good chance of outnumbering the opponent even if I lose the player giving the boot. Obviously some teams have a deeper bench so fouling is more advantageous. Some times I just need a stun towards the end of a game or half so I will kick somebody regardless. But all in all I rarely do it. Elves and Dwarves are just too costly to lose....

There are lots of things that could happen to make fouling better like sneaky git actually being useful. How about adding PO to use for fouling! Smile I say bring back the +2 DP!

Everyone can thank Wreckage for this since he made a good point about the OLD post on fouling being outdated.....
keggiemckill

Post   Posted: Feb 11, 2015 - 05:59 Reply with quote Back to top

If I see someones star on the ground, I foul them. But normally in a game, I look to only foul with a minimum of a 5. Its a tactical approach. That means I won't foul until the AV roll is 5 or higher. So an Armour 7 Ghoul, gets fouled with two helpers. An AV Nine CD needs 4 Helpers to Foul. I feel I have a good chance at breaking armour with a 5 up roll. I don't exactly look to be men up or blah blah. I really just want to hurt a person player, and their moral "too Boot". I find that most coaches, who go down players early on, start making a lot of dumb mistakes. It make them desperate. Desperation only causes perspiration in my experience. That is when your hormones take over and your brain doesn't work properly. Its the same with Claw POMB. People fold very easy when they feel the game is lost. When you can keep your composure, then you can kill him like Colonel Mustard. You know in the Dining room with a Pipe wrench, but only with 4 Helpers.

Jeffro
Kondor

Post   Posted: Feb 11, 2015 - 06:29 Reply with quote Back to top

I agree with Keggie in most situations. However, if I have a deep bench, and my opponent does not, I make fouling a priority. Protect the ball, Bash, Blitz, Foul. In that order.
mrt1212

Post   Posted: Feb 11, 2015 - 07:14 Reply with quote Back to top

I agree on 5+ unless its an integral or especially dangerous player on the other team, then go nuts.
Fingard

Post   Posted: Feb 11, 2015 - 08:15 Reply with quote Back to top

I tend to foul more (read: with less helpers) if I feel that my opponent is "better" than me: better team, better coach, etc.
Fouling adds randomness, helps the underdog.
bghandras

Post   Posted: Feb 11, 2015 - 11:46 Reply with quote Back to top

I fool scarcely. Once I fouled when I was losing, had slim hope, and DANG, the foul removed an opposing player, and I was back in the mix. Next time it was turn 13, and all I needed was a stun to complete the stall.
Other than those occasions I usually foul when I have the bench, and the drive is about to end either via half or a score.

Post   Posted: Feb 11, 2015 - 11:56 Reply with quote Back to top

As everything in a game such as this one, it's all about the risk/reward balance.

Have a deep bench and the opposing team's sole POMBer lies prone? Stick it in!

I build some teams to foul (14 man+ formations with cheap linemen) and others will very rarely foul (dorfs, elfs with 70k linemen) because the player being sent off is too valuable and the bench is too shallow.

edit: as other were talking about specific decision criteria: if you consider it a win to get the prone player KO at the cost of the fouling player being sent off, that's when you know it's always a good idea to try.

Last edited by Cloggy on %b %11, %2015 - %12:%Feb; edited 1 time in total
vaclav

Post   Posted: Feb 11, 2015 - 11:57 Reply with quote Back to top

i foul to kill all menz, to win and in retribution. Especialy, i foul in t16 if coach put some valuable player on los to prevent ottd.
King_Ghidra

Post   Posted: Feb 11, 2015 - 12:24 Reply with quote Back to top

If you watch any heavyweight majors game you will still see plenty of fouling and plenty of impact as a tactic.

For lower tv, with smaller squads, it's obviously less viable in general. But in principle if you have low tv value players and there's a high value tv player on the ground (and you have enough assists to reduce AV break to a low number), the risk/reward proposition is still very good.

This spreadsheet has the stats and a decent summary:
https://docs.google.com/spreadsheet/ccc?key=0AnhpbaFmRkWVdG5yRkpuSE1TWEt3R0Z6ajg2RU9pU2c&hl=en#gid=0

So by way of example, with one assist on an AV7 player, you're as likely to take the target off the pitch as lose your own player. That's great odds when your zombie fouler is worth 1/3 of the TV of that prone wardancer. You can do your own math for other examples.
Roland

Post   Posted: Feb 11, 2015 - 12:27 Reply with quote Back to top

how can the probability be more than 100%???
PacoSillas

Post   Posted: Feb 11, 2015 - 12:48 Reply with quote Back to top

Roland wrote:

The bones that jump from the splashed opponent stick on a clser ones and you gt 2 birds on one shot? xD
JimmyFantastic

Post   Posted: Feb 11, 2015 - 13:01 Reply with quote Back to top

Roland wrote:

"The ratios show how likely it is you'll take the foulee out compared to your fouler getting ejected. 100% means that you'll get your desired result exactly as frequently as you'll get ejected - 50% would mean you'd get ejected twice on average for every one time you succeed."

Great spreadsheet King_Ghidra, cheers!

Post   Posted: Feb 11, 2015 - 19:20 Reply with quote Back to top

JimmyFantastic wrote:

Great spreadsheet King_Ghidra, cheers!

Mhm, do I really need a google account to take a look at that spreadsheet? ...IIRC a simple email adress won't suffice...

Or is there a way around it?
El_Jairo

Post   Posted: Feb 11, 2015 - 20:32 Reply with quote Back to top

Nice to know the odds.
As I suspected you should aim for KO+.
If you wouldn't settle for a KO and risk of being expelled from the drive.
So with a bench preferably late in the drive to have reserves fill in for foulers.
If already down in numbers you should immediately foul prime targets.
Since I play WE I understand the need to foul that WD if you lack tackle.
I might even consider fouling those 2 tackle orc blitzers I will be facing.
Unless I get to surf them first j=)
Especially since we both have 11 players. I believe that the orcs will suffer more from KO'S than elves.

Edit : I miss the clean chances of getting send off. Because fouling is a viable way to save your star to see the next game, even an apoth is best not trusted.

I wonder if that is the reason why some real star players have DP?
Might it be worth it as a 4th skill?
I'm tempted to give it a go.
lol /edit

Last edited by El_Jairo on %b %11, %2015 - %20:%Feb; edited 1 time in total
PainState

Post   Posted: Feb 11, 2015 - 20:50 Reply with quote Back to top

I find it funny that coaches wanted fouling to be more tactical rather than a game winning tactic under LRB4. So CRP gave it to them and now they are mad it is not a game winning tactic and just tactical in nature...BUT...is it?

Under CRP, teams, normally do not carry 16 players BUT what if they did?

They find themselves playing against the majority of teams on FUMBBL in this CRP universe playing with 11-13 player rosters.

If you have 16 and they have 11 and you have 3 DP....FOULING IS A GAME WINNING TACTIC.

PainStates golden rules of fouling in the CRP universe.

#1: Always foul a downed PileOn player, even with no assists.

#2: Never foul a stunned player, come back to him next turn, go find a more juicy target this turn.

#3: If you have a sneaky git, he always fouls with no assists, even against AV9. The Git is a free shot, by adding 7 assists to the foul you have now negated the sneakygit skill so you might as well foul with a normal lino at that point.

#4: Strive to have a 16 man team

end of the fouling lesson for today.

Do not worry about spreadsheets and so forth.

The odds of getting sent off on a foul is 1 in 3, keep it simple. Iam making the assumption you are not a chump and break AV.

Last edited by PainState on %b %11, %2015 - %20:%Feb; edited 2 times in total
 Jump to: