31 coaches online • Server time: 10:14
Forum Chat
Recent Forum Topics goto Post Finishing the 60 Gam...goto Post NCBB TVgoto Post Borg Invasion
SearchSearch 
View previous topic Log in to check your private messages View next topic
BigMac

Post   Posted: Sep 07, 2005 - 16:13 Reply with quote Back to top

Well as some of you may know i'm designing these team lists.

Actually i was planing on writing rules for "Creating a Blood Bowl Team".
My approach is: what do you do when you play Blood Bowl?

A. Create a Team

1. Pre Match Sequence
2. Match
3. Post Game Sequence

This might sound strange, but A. Create Team is actually totally complicating things...

I decided to just completely get rid of that part, so the entry to blood bolw looks like this:

A. Choose your race (by grabing a sheet trom the races team roster pad)
B. Enter your team's name
C. Enter your name
D. Enter your player's names

play! (1,2,3)

OK that means that EVERY starting team for EVERY race is FIXED.
For example, EVERY Human Team would start with 4 Linemen, 2 Catchers, 1 Thrower, 4 Blitzers, Fan Factor 8 and 3 Re-rolls.

OK i'd like to get some oppinions on this.
First of all obviously this takes away a small part of the game, namely "starting rosters".

However, this also gest rid of a lot of rules, making the game way faster to access for beginners and provides a way better template for balancing the races. You would know where races start, and all you had to predict would be where they end up.

Let me emphasise ALL rules regarding updating and modifying the team roster would be during pre or post game sequence.

To play "quick" blood bowl "vanilla" or "one off" all you would need to do is grab a team roster of the race you want to use, and play. So ALL of the races would already be availiable for newbies, first time customers.

The rules could be organised in the following way:

Basic Rules:
1 pre game sequence
2 playing the game with rules for all skills/traits that are included on any of the starting rosters.

Advanced Rules:
1. post game sequence
2. updating your team roster with any progression rules that apply, from injuries to star player points and new skills to treasury and buing players.
MrMojo

Post   Posted: Sep 07, 2005 - 16:15 Reply with quote Back to top

/boo

Post   Posted: Sep 07, 2005 - 16:19 Reply with quote Back to top

Not the worst idea I have ever heard. Close though.

Post 13 Posted: Sep 07, 2005 - 16:24 Reply with quote Back to top

/boo from me to make it double

IMNSHO this idea is 'not clever'.

AFAIK the client comes with some ready to play teams 'out of the box'. Ready for use for someone 'not clever' enough to read the book and design his team.

Look what MS did to Word. It was getting worse and worse but more friendly to dummies. IMNSHO promoting dummies is 'not clever'.

Last edited by macike on %b %07, %2005 - %16:%Sep; edited 1 time in total
soren72

Post   Posted: Sep 07, 2005 - 16:24 Reply with quote Back to top

Hmmm.... to add to the simplicity; how about removing SPP and new skills?

...or begin playing another game?

Soren - Back Judge, The Reformed Church of Nuffle

Last edited by soren72 on %b %07, %2005 - %16:%Sep; edited 1 time in total
xcver

Post   Posted: Sep 07, 2005 - 16:24 Reply with quote Back to top

I find this idea good in itself. It is presented with a few playstyle problems especially in regard to the races not being able to fill a lot of positionals from the start on like any elven team. Starting varies wildly with these from 11 lineelves to 9 lineelves + 2 positions (most of the time. of course there are exceptions) and it makes a huge difference if you start with a thrower and a catcher instead of one wardancer for example...but despite that I find this idea good. Team Building could be an optional rule for experienced players...

Post   Posted: Sep 07, 2005 - 16:25 Reply with quote Back to top

MrMojo wrote:
/boo

MrMojo,

Imagine you buy the Blood Bowl box for the very first time.

The box includes:

21 Team Roster & Team List Cards
(A4, front page starting team roster, back page team list and all special rules for the team)

1 Pad of blank team roster sheets

1 Basic Rulebook (how to play with the starting races as they are on the front pages of the races cards)

2. Expansion Rulebook (how to use progression rules and update your team for the next match).
Curro

Post   Posted: Sep 07, 2005 - 16:26 Reply with quote Back to top

WHy don´t we fix some results and make every match swiftly??? in example: 1-0, 1-1 and 7-0.
EVERY match ends with one of this results.
This take away SOME of the fun of the game, but it makes things faster... isn´t it?
BigMac

Post   Posted: Sep 07, 2005 - 16:29 Reply with quote Back to top

macike wrote:
/boo from me to make it double

IMNSHO this idea is 'not clever'.

AFAIK the client comes with some ready to play teams 'out of the box'. Ready for use for someone 'not clever' enough to read the book and design his team.

Look what MS did to Word. It was getting worse and worse but more friendly to dummies. IMNSHO promoting dummies is 'not clever'.

I'm talking about the Board Game.
Cloggy

Post   Posted: Sep 07, 2005 - 16:37 Reply with quote Back to top

I don't like the idea. The variety in starting line-ups is what makes games between low TR teams so much fun. Will the team with loads of positionals and few rerolls win on skills, or lose on lack of rerolls?

Let's just keep this one as it is now shall we?

@BigMac: If only there was an ignore mode in the forum like there is in IRC.........

Post   Posted: Sep 07, 2005 - 16:39 Reply with quote Back to top

Cloggy wrote:

@BigMac: If only there was an ignore mode in the forum like there is in IRC.........

There is one. It is called will power.

I feel dirty just posting here.

Post   Posted: Sep 07, 2005 - 16:39 Reply with quote Back to top

xcver wrote:
Team Building could be an optional rule for experienced players...

My thought exactly.

I really think that with fixed starting rosters it could be accomplished to get extremely well balanced (against each other) teams for the first 10 games.

The box would not contain any miniatures at all, just the rules books, and the board and tools.

You had to buy any teams you want to use seperately, and teams had to be boxed in a way that the boxes contain ALL miniatures for, at least, the starting teams - and BALLS ^^.

Booster packs could include any additional and or optional players.

That way you could buy what you really need;
A second board, a new team to be availiable for introducing the game to firends, or a expansion to a team you wanna play in a league.
Shinan

Post   Posted: Sep 07, 2005 - 16:44 Reply with quote Back to top

BigMac wrote:
The box includes:

21 Team Roster & Team List Cards
(A4, front page starting team roster, back page team list and all special rules for the team)

1 Pad of blank team roster sheets

1 Basic Rulebook (how to play with the starting races as they are on the front pages of the races cards)

2. Expansion Rulebook (how to use progression rules and update your team for the next match).

Last I looked my boxed included only six team rosters and even a lovely little starter roster (for only two of the rosters since those were the only ones the box included models for) as well as (!) basic rules to try out before advancing to the more advanced ones...

Now if the game already is this accessable to newbies why would we like to decrease the fun of team management and creation to those who have played a while?

Post 10 Posted: Sep 07, 2005 - 16:47 Reply with quote Back to top

BigMac wrote:
I'm talking about the Board Game.

What's the difference?

Playing the 'starting teams' against each other is boring because you know in advance how the match will look like.

Fix the 'starting teams' and it will get even more boring.

Just print out or hand out predefined teams to those dummies 'not clever' enough to create theirs own. The only worse thing would be 'fixed matches'. Written step by step to be replayed. Of course dice rolls would be predefined and fixed. Wink

Post   Posted: Sep 07, 2005 - 16:48 Reply with quote Back to top

This idea is good for new players to learn the game in a special Rookie Division.
Choose your race start learn blocking and fouling.
Teams cant play more then 10 games then they Autoretire.